PDA

View Full Version : Sound quality dropping in and out...

notes2john
06-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Original sound system. Harmon Kardon. The sound seems to drop out from great to eh! Really strange as it seems to work better when I drive through parts of PA and Canada. But live in MI and it seems to go in and out alot. Thought it might be the speed sensor adjusting to noise as it happens when i step on the gas. Not all the time though... Anyone else have this and found out what it might be?

NorCalZman
06-04-2013, 06:38 AM
I noticed something similar in my car and thought I was losing a few speakers or something. I noticed the DSP light was on and pressed the button to turn it off. The dropping in and out stopped. DSP seems to have issues if the car is not getting a strong signal from the radio station.

billyjack
06-04-2013, 11:44 AM
I noticed something similar in my car and thought I was losing a few speakers or something. I noticed the DSP light was on and pressed the button to turn it off. The dropping in and out stopped. DSP seems to have issues if the car is not getting a strong signal from the radio station.

I've noticed the exact same thing, and its only when listening to the radio. Probably FM switching from stereo to mono due to a weak signal if I had to guess.

NorCalZman
06-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I've noticed the exact same thing, and its only when listening to the radio. Probably FM switching from stereo to mono due to a weak signal if I had to guess.

Right. It actually says just that in the owners manual too. That is what gave me the bright idea to turn off the DSP when the radio was having signal issues. I actually get nerdy pleasure reading through our owners manual every once in awhile to remind myself about all the neat tricks this car can do.

Oli77
06-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Thought it might be the speed sensor adjusting to noise as it happens when i step on the gas.

There is a way to turn this function off, or at least, attenuate it I thought.

KevinC
06-04-2013, 08:07 PM
My car is doing this, even on AM.. shouldn't it only be a problem in stereo on FM? I really wish the sound system were more modern. The latest Bluetooth-streaming setups found even in Hertz turds like the Chevy Cruze make me green with envy.

johnrando
06-04-2013, 09:57 PM
You know, you might want to try lowering the sound sensitivity to it's lowest setting (1) and see if that changes anything. At least it could eliminate that, and maybe that could be the fix.