PDA

View Full Version : wtf noise

Kudos
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Ok, it is 0 degrees in Chicago and might be affecting the car. My car is making a noise like someone blowing from a trombone once in a while. It does it under all conditions, completely cold, warm, braking, accelerating, while idle, turning, going straight, and at all speeds. I haven't gone over 35 mph, and reved passed 2.5k because of the cold and short commute but anything over 2.5k i wouldn't hear the noise. A few days before the car started up fine and i got it out of the snow pile and then it wouldn't start. I waited and it started later just fine. Full tank of gas, might need to replace fuel filter, but what would be causing this noise?

I'm assuming it is completely seperate issue from the steering wheel shake over 35mph. i don't want to go over that, it seems like control arm is busted.

mimalmo
02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Steering wheel shake could be snow and ice on your wheels or FCAB's. The noise is interesting though. Hopefully it's not your CCV.

Kudos
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
hmm. that is an interesting suggestion. are there any tests to see if it is? I suppose it could be a goose honk and that would probably indicate ccv. i know i won't be fixing that myself.

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Don't rule out steering pump failure either.

Kudos
02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I've had a steering pump get close to failure when it was low on fluid(on my e36), and it would make noise when i would brake. This noise is random under all circumstances and not specifically when turning. I should probably check the level, but besides the pump, is there anything that would be in the injection system due to not enough fuel getting thru? On a side note, how much labor time is involved in replacing ccv??

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
CCV = PITA = I bet shop goes 6-8 hours on that one.

mimalmo
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
My local shop gets over $500 for a CCV and most of that's labor.

If you do go that route, be sure to get the cold weather version when you replace it.

Kudos
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
might as well just get it done. it's way too damn cold for me to do it, and slightly outside of my range of mechanical aptitude. i'm comfortable doing my valve cover replacement and vanos replacement (i'm gonna pay dr vanos do the rebuild, save the couple hours and pay him 60 bucks more). what a bad bandaid to have but hopefully one and done never have to do it again. i bet its only occuring because its cold as shit here.

kayger12
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9OQtvZ2fp0&feature=player_embedded

If so, don't mess around with it and get it changed ASAP. CCV failure can lead to hydro-locking the engine.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1394054

Mike V
02-04-2011, 02:10 PM
The noises in that video actually made me laugh out loud as I sit here. I hope I never hear that out of my car... I suspect I won't be laughing then. :)

Kudos
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
If i get the ccv replaced, would i get an oil changed as well since there's moisture in the engine??

kayger12
02-04-2011, 03:21 PM
If i get the ccv replaced, would i get an oil changed as well since there's moisture in the engine??

Shouldn't need to. A properly working ccv will allow the water vapor to escape through the intake once you get the car hot enough.