PDA

View Full Version : Don't be scared of RTAB's

MooseX
06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
With the proper tool there is no need to be afraid of this DIY. I got the tool used for 65 lousy bux here on ZHPM.

The first one took 90 minutes and only because I took my sweet time aligning/preloading the bushing angle

The second one took 45 minutes and I think I can say with confidence I could do it again in 30.

The tool works. I used a big 20 volt Ingersol Rand impact gun to drive/install the bushings. That was like SNAP!!.. the bushing was out instantly. Installing I made sure to prep the bushing surface and the bushing itself ( a bit of very light steel wool on the bushing + a light shot of WD40 on the trailing arm surface..I was careful to line everything up and had no issues having them go in first shot.

I made a preload tool out of 8mm alu' angle stock. That's pretty easy too...

To install each bushing I went slower so I could get it in evenly. I got it real close with the big gun..then used my Makita 14 volt 3/8 drive variable gun to inch it into position.

The hardest part is lining up the bracket to the body. I used a small kragens mickey mouse jack to push it up close to the body. Then a sizeable hole punch to wrestly the bracket into alignment with the 3 holes. I wasn't worried about getting it close to the original holes. I'll get a full alignment when my suspension refresh in done..

BAM easy peasy. If a DEALER tells you 300, 400 or even 500 labor then you know they're raping you. Honestly this should be one of those 100 per side deals if the world was a fair place

Challenged one could do this job in an hour after a few practice runs

danewilson77
06-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Very nice job.

MooseX
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks Dane'

Much credit goes to my 'housewife helper'..with Ingersol Rand 1200 lb gun the bushings literally flew out.

I got one for my girlfreind in case she gets a flat. These powerhouse guns will take flywheel nuts off...axel nuts anything BIG. NO need for a compressor (as long as you have the room to wrangle the gun of course). If your not careful it will twist your arm into a pretzel

Cost 365 on AMAZON.COM..worth every bit of that

kayger12
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Great work.

Sent from the last Next Best Thing via Tt4beta

johnrando
06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice job.

MooseX
06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
thanks jran'

I think the key to the job is the prep. I've read a few time how folks had trouble gettin the bushing to 'start'. A quick smooth job on the bushing and a light lube on the trailing arm did the trick. I actually used a very light grade steel wool on the trailing arm to get any corrosion

NorCalZman
06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Nice. If I had a garage for tools and a place to do it, I might be able to try something like this.

Alas, I will have to be knowingly raped by the mechanic :P

MooseX
06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
I can't imagine paying anyone to do it...gotta hurt. However if someone said I'll do it for 100 per side I wouldn't argue

NorCalZman
06-07-2013, 05:49 PM
You're in Tahoe? Next time I visit my friend in Truckee what say you take an hour or so show me how easy it is ;)

Did you put these in? http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?products_id=59&osCsid=959768027a347232e81852a4c1f81247

MooseX
06-07-2013, 06:08 PM
yup got those in there in the process

Maybe sometime during the summer. I'm buried right now getting my own ZHP on the road + prepping my boat for the summer..which I'm way behind the eight ball'. The weather is awesome and I really should be out on the lake by now

I can send/loan you the tool any time. Just cover mailing both ways and it's yours to use. Maybe you can find a freind with a garage to help if you want it done sooner than later

NorCalZman
06-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Ah thank you. no worries. I probably won't get back up there for a few months anyway. Seriously no one here in SF has any driveway space. Hah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Newjack
06-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Will be doing this job either Saturday or Sunday. I'll take some pics when its over, like you I refuse to pay $500 in labor to install some $55 bushings. Most DIY's use copper based anti-seize on the bushing itself and the trailing arm bushing slot.

MooseX
06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Ah thank you. no worries. I probably won't get back up there for a few months anyway. Seriously no one here in SF has any driveway space. Hah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

that sucks. on the other hand it's a great city. where else can you walk a block or two and get 'whatever' you want (Amsterdam comes to mind too)

Johnmadd
06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Can I see a pic of this tool?

MooseX
06-09-2013, 11:54 AM
google E46 RTAB TOOL..You should find a pic fairly easily