PDA

View Full Version : Doing rear brakes, need input.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Hey guys. I need to do my rear rotors and pads. I would like to go with ceramic pads.

Any advise on readily available ceramic pads? What do you guys recommend? I was looking at the Hawk HP ceramic pads that tirerack has.

Any advise on rotors?

These will be for the 330 and I do about 40k miles a year. I drive really hard and plan to get the 330 on the track a couple weekends this year.

Thanks for input.

Sent from my fancy city machine.

Newjack
06-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Curious to see input here as I will need to replace my brakes and rotors in the near future.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

M0nk3y
06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Don't use ceramics on the track, they will fade very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I use ceramics from Ray for my everyday stopping needs. Love the lack of brake dust, but I wouldn't recommend for the track.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Copy that, anyone use the Axxis Ultimate pads?

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Ok this is what I have sitting in my cart right now at Turner...

ATE Super Blue
Turner Slotted rotors
Hawk HPS Street Brake Pads

Meh?

Edit: changed to the slotted rotors and not slotted/drilled

derbo
06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Avoid Cross & Slotted for track days. I would just choose slotted only. HPS street pads will dust alot and aren't very good at the track IMO. But if you arent doing it alot, I would stay with the HPS streets otherwise, HP+ if you are a little more serious.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Avoid Cross & Slotted for track days. I would just choose slotted only. HPS street pads will dust alot and aren't very good at the track IMO. But if you arent doing it alot, I would stay with the HPS streets otherwise, HP+ if you are a little more serious.

Cool thanks, I'll change to just the slotted.

I figured for $15 more why not, but thanks for the input.

Any other recommendations on pads outside of hawk?

Oh and FYI, remember these are the rears and when I say I will track it. Probably 1 or 2 times a year. The M3 is the dedicated track car.

derbo
06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Cool thanks, I'll change to just the slotted.

I figured for $15 more why not, but thanks for the input.

Any other recommendations on pads outside of hawk?

Oh and FYI, remember these are the rears and when I say I will track it. Probably 1 or 2 times a year. The M3 is the dedicated track car.

If you are just tracking 1-2 times a year, I would just say OEM pads. :)

Hermes
06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
or Bosch QuietCast (and I have Hawk HPS installed on mine)

Vas
06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Hawk HPS in my book

Johal E32
06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Stoptech pads? I hear they are pretty good.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I read a bunch of bad stuff about stop tech pads.

Going with this:
Turner Slotted rotors
Hawk HPS

brettbimmer
06-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Prolly too late, but would second staying away from drilled or slotted rotors if longer pad life is a concern, and you are planning on a few HPDE's. OEM rotors would be my choice. Hawk HPS are good, but they dust and can squeak in a DD. Just switched to Performance Friction Z-Rated pads in the zhp. Lower dust then OEM or Hawk HPS, and braking power seems good. Have not yet run them at the track however. For the weight of the E90 at the track, you may want a more aggressive pad up front for track use (swap out only for track use). I know that wasn't the question here, but wanted to put it out there bud.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Prolly too late, but would second staying away from drilled or slotted rotors if longer pad life is a concern, and you are planning on a few HPDE's. OEM rotors would be my choice. Hawk HPS are good, but they dust and can squeak in a DD. Just switched to Performance Friction Z-Rated pads in the zhp. Lower dust then OEM or Hawk HPS, and braking power seems good. Have not yet run them at the track however. For the weight of the E90 at the track, you may want a more aggressive pad up front for track use (swap out only for track use). I know that wasn't the question here, but wanted to put it out there bud.

I didn't purchase yet but mainly because I am a procrastinator lol.

Let me clear up why I was looking at slotted. I've noticed some people say with ceramic pads they notice there brakes don't catch right away or it feels like the car is not braking.

My car has actually always done this and I've never had ceramic pads. I did some research on this and I found that drilled or slotted rotors can help with this. I have gotten use to it but its still a really weird feeling and kind of scary, so I would prefer for the car not to do it.

Where did you get the performance friction pads Brett?

I also would like to do a more aggressive set up up front like you said for track purposes.

danewilson77
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
The Z rated pads at Bimmerworld are Bauce.

M0nk3y
06-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Even if you are going to track once or twice a year, brake fade can occur the first session

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Even if you are going to track once or twice a year, brake fade can occur the first session

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I ruled out ceramic after your first post.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I ended up going with the following:

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
Turner Slotted Rotors
Hawk HPS Street Pads
Rear brake wear sensor

I figured if I decide to track this car heavy I will just get a dedicated set of track pads. I drive way to much to be driving around on serious track pads and going through them.

JupiterBMW
06-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I ended up going with the following:

ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
Turner Slotted Rotors
Hawk HPS Street Pads
Rear brake wear sensor

I figured if I decide to track this car heavy I will just get a dedicated set of track pads. I drive way to much to be driving around on serious track pads and going through them.

Great call. I went with the Axxis pads on my last ZHP, honestly wasn't impressed though. I'll probably go with the Hawk HPS pads this time around (starting to get some vibration on this car). I honestly went with the TMS drilled rotors, mainly for the look, but I liked them. The black coating on the rotor hats and edges looks great.

Looking forward to pics/updates when you get it all done.

brettbimmer
06-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Are you looking for more initial bite on the street, or after the pads are hot on the track? If it is more bite on the street, you want a softer pad compound. If you are looking for more bite on the track, you want a harder compound, more aggressive pad. Slotted rotors may help with immediate initial bite, but technically there is less rotor surface to make contact with the pads. Hawk HPS are good (have run them on the 318ti both street and track), but I think that as DW stated above, the PF Z-rated pads are even better with far less dust. In my opinion though, they offer less initial bite when cool on the street.

brettbimmer
06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Whoops - z-rated pads can be purchased at Bimmerworld or OG Racing.

derbo
06-10-2013, 04:50 PM
wish PFC made 135i front pads :(

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Whoops - z-rated pads can be purchased at Bimmerworld or OG Racing.

I was looking at the z rated but I couldn't get all the parts I needed at bimmerworld and didn't want to pay shipping twice. Plus I couldn't get anyone there to help me. So I went back to Turner.

JupiterBMW
06-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I was looking at the z rated but I couldn't get all the parts I needed at bimmerworld and didn't want to pay shipping twice. Plus I couldn't get anyone there to help me. So I went back to Turner.

You know, there is a bit of a premium for buying from TMS, but I have to admit, they're helpful, they're smart, and they always have their schtuff together when it comes to orders.

M3TA5IN
06-10-2013, 05:29 PM
You know, there is a bit of a premium for buying from TMS, but I have to admit, they're helpful, they're smart, and they always have their schtuff together when it comes to orders.

QFT! Turner FTW! I always put in that I heard of them from here, maybe we can get an affiliate deal.

JupiterBMW
06-10-2013, 05:42 PM
...maybe we can get an affiliate deal...

:wub This is a great idea. :biggrin

Junior2552
06-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I actually gave the ECS Geomet rotors a shot with some Hawk HPS pads and I haven't been disappointed. The rotors come coated in this "Geomet" stuff and it keeps your rotors from surface-rusting on tops and on the hub insert. It keeps a nice silver finish in those spots, and the rotors come drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted, or blank; I opted for the slotted rotors. They're not the BEST brakes I've ever used, but they exceeded my expectations given the price.

danewilson77
06-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Junior, how may miles do you have on them?

Johnmadd
06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
:wub This is a great idea. :biggrin

+2