PDA

View Full Version : I'm really scared... I see the mustard

az3579
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Earlier in the year, I checked my car's oil level. It was a hair under full, so I wasn't concerned. Then, for the past week, I've been getting a yellow oil light coming on after the car was shut off, so I finally decided to research it. It means to put oil in because it's getting low. I found that really odd because it didn't eat oil at all in the few months before, so I shrugged it off and went for my quart of oil.

I went downstairs, opened the hood, and checked the oil. Sure enough, it was down to the minimum marker. Shocked, I reached for the oil filler cap, and my jaw dropped as far as it can possibly go.

I saw the mustardy substance all over the underside of my filler cap, and a little bit into the hole. I've attached photos:

I am scared shitless right now. What the heck is going on????? I can't possibly have a bad head gasket!?!?! The car wasn't overheated whatsoever!
Is there any other explanation?

az3579
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Nevermind. I probably should have searched first before posting in a panicked worry. Turns out others have had this problem as well and it's just condensation from short trips. I'm not surprised; I haven't gone on a longer trip in a while (being winter and all). Usually I'm going on a longer 1.5-2 hr each way trip every weekend, but only in the nicer weather.

Going on one tomorrow, so I guess we'll find out.

I am still a little concerned about the sudden oil consumption though. How does it go from being a hair below full to almost empty about a month or so later? A quart in less than 5000 miles? I find that highly unreasonable; it wasn't eating nearly this much in the past two oil changes.

kayger12
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
My first guess would be your oil filter housing gasket. Good place for a slow leak that's hard to notice.

Have a look here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9614732#post9614732)

Also concerned that your ccv might be starting to go...

az3579
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
My first guess would be your oil filter housing gasket. Good place for a slow leak that's hard to notice.

Have a look here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9614732#post9614732)

Also concerned that your ccv might be starting to go...

I saw somewhere that a test for vacuum leaks that would potentially allow moisture would be to take off the oil filler cap while the engine is running. They were saying that if the idle changes a tiny bit but continues to run fine, it's good. If it stumbles and has a hard time running, they were saying that there could be a vacuum leak, which could be a cause of moisture getting in.

I took mine off with the engine running and there wasn't as much as a hiccup. Rock steady the whole time...
I'll check the hose going to the intake manifold for clogging the next chance I get. That CCV better be good... otherwise I'm screwed.

For the leak; I haven't see anything leaking in the engine bay. Looks bone dry, though I didn't remove the intake to check. I'll check it tomorrow when I go to my mechanic's (to diagnose wheel bearing issue).

Thanks Mr. Clean. :)

kayger12
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I saw somewhere that a test for vacuum leaks that would potentially allow moisture would be to take off the oil filler cap while the engine is running. They were saying that if the idle changes a tiny bit but continues to run fine, it's good. If it stumbles and has a hard time running, they were saying that there could be a vacuum leak, which could be a cause of moisture getting in.

I took mine off with the engine running and there wasn't as much as a hiccup. Rock steady the whole time...
I'll check the hose going to the intake manifold for clogging the next chance I get. That CCV better be good... otherwise I'm screwed.

For the leak; I haven't see anything leaking in the engine bay. Looks bone dry, though I didn't remove the intake to check. I'll check it tomorrow when I go to my mechanic's (to diagnose wheel bearing issue).

Thanks Mr. Clean. :)

You got it, bro. I was losing oil at about that rate and it turned out I had a leaking OFH gasket. Never saw a drop in my garage. It would drip down the block and collect on the splash shield and then (I guess) blow out from there while I was driving.

Saw a thread about the OFH gasket, checked my waffle area on the side of the block, and sure as sh^t, it was covered in oil.

MasterC17
02-04-2011, 03:52 PM
I replaced my CCV with the Cold Weather upgraded one, but I still end up with a bunch of "mustard" on my filler cap and in the hole. Seems like you can't avoid it if you drive short distances. Regardless, I'm not too worried as it's been a few months now like this. Looking forward to the warm weather.

This spurred me to go check just now and it's actually pretty clean at the moment, weird.

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Take trips longer than necessary, until engine temp is in the band for a bit. 5-10 miles should prevent this. These cars need to be driven....

ccv....may be contributing a lil bit here,.....

az3579
02-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Went for quite a few long trips yesterday and today, and sure enough, the oil cap is back to normal coloring.
There isn't anything I can do about the short trips, though I would think that 7 miles is sufficient time for it to not have this problem. Most of those miles is on the highway, and about half of them is at full operating temperature. Total trip time is about 10-15 minutes, depending on lights and traffic.

danewilson77
02-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Went for quite a few long trips yesterday and today, and sure enough, the oil cap is back to normal coloring.
There isn't anything I can do about the short trips, though I would think that 7 miles is sufficient time for it to not have this problem. Most of those miles is on the highway, and about half of them is at full operating temperature. Total trip time is about 10-15 minutes, depending on lights and traffic.

Good news Botond

Kudos
02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm having the same problem with my CCV, it started making the honking noise. Its at the shop now for inspection 2 at 80k miles for all fluid check, suspension check, fuel filter replacement, and ccv check. Hopefully hoses can just be swapped without the unit being replaced.

kayger12
02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Better to get it done now then to have it blow your valve cover, or worse, your motor.

Kudos
02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Ya getting it looked at today, and then valve cover gasket will be done in spring to remove any moisture deposits. Once the moisture accumulates, do you think it would burn off if i drive it long enough or is a *top* rebuild in order?

kayger12
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
It should burn off. I couldn't imagine you'd need a rebuild.

MasterC17
02-07-2011, 02:23 PM
It should burn off. I couldn't imagine you'd need a rebuild.

+1 A few longer drives will solve the problem (temporarily).

Kudos
02-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I will be doing valve cover gasket and vanos rebuild in spring anyways, and get to clean out all the condensation and moisture.