PDA

View Full Version : New Member in RI

prowlerflyer
02-04-2011, 07:42 PM
All,

Just purchased my first BMW and matter of fact my first sedan in 25 years of car ownership. I picked up a '04 ZHP w/87k mi from the original owner, with leather, Nav and cold weather packages. He had installed the ESS TS-2 supercharger kit which transforms the car! It also highlights the need for a LSD. The car also has the Turner Motorsports rear subframe kit (although the subframe is fine) and a selection of wheels. The car is quite clean and impeccably maintained and tight as a drum.
Looking forward to being able to stretch the car's legs at some point, hopefully when there's something less than 10" of snow her in RI. I have seen quite a bit of the TCS light with the torque this car has. I'll work on some better pictures when I can stand being outside for longer than 1 minute. Thanks for your time.

danewilson77
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the family.

What are your plans?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Prowler, welcome to the site. Like what you've got there. Looking forward to seeing you on the site.

mimalmo
02-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Welcome

kayger12
02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome.

Nivo
02-04-2011, 09:37 PM
sweet another New Englander!

kayger12
02-05-2011, 05:24 AM
EA-6B? Or am I reading too much into your screen name...

Mtnman
02-05-2011, 06:37 AM
welcome to the family. Looks like you have a lot of car there. cant wait to see some pics with all the rim options you have.

prowlerflyer
02-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Kayger12, yep you guessed right was an EA-6B guy until about two months ago. On a shore tour now in Newport.

I have pics of the car with all the wheels, just need to convert them over from zip files. Unfortunately the car has to live outside for the next year. Our current place doesn't have a garage. It's my primary daily driver and don’t have plans to track it right now. I raced quite a bit through the 80's and 90's and would love to do it again when the kids are a bit bigger.

I am in with bimmerfest and considering joining BMW CCA, any thoughts?

kayger12
02-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Kayger12, yep you guessed right was an EA-6B guy until about two months ago. On a shore tour now in Newport.

I am in with bimmerfest and considering joining BMW CCA, any thoughts?

Nice. Instrument rated Private Pilot here. Dreamed of flying military when I was a kid, but I have the vision of a naked mole rat.

I just joined BMW CCA this past year. Good benefits, good resource, good community. Worth it imo.

danewilson77
02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Join BMW CCA. My number is 432214 as a reference...lol.

What squadron were you attached to....?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-05-2011, 09:30 AM
considering joining BMW CCA, any thoughts?

I've been a member of BMWCCA for about 10 years. Good organization. The magazine, Roundel, is solid. Well worth the money it costs to join.

On the last go around, I renewed for 3 years (something like $134). I got a map grille badge, as seen here (a $24.95 value), for free for renewing for three years:

http://stage.bmwcca.org/store/images/product/e02c3a3fa644dfd674bb90924618c985.jpg

az3579
02-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome! Definitely join the CCA. I hope to you see you a Lime Rock at some point with the Connecticut Valley Chapter... :biggrin

We should meet up sometime. I'd love a ride in a supercharged ZHP... perhaps it will sway me to say "eff it" to the auto-x rules and get a supy for myself...

prowlerflyer
02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks all, I'll look in to the CCA. I was a Porsche guy for a long time and PCA was worth the membership even though I mostly did just tech sessions. Finally got a break in the weather today and vacuumed the car out today and went by the dealer and picked up some all weather rubber mats for the rear seats (already in the front). Didn't think you could buy anything at the dealer for only $35, certainly never happens at the Porsche or Volvo dealer. Thinking the weather might be breaking here and maybe I should be taking the winter tires off on putting either the 18's or 19's on....

I flew Prowlers with VAQ-140 Patriots, VAQ-129 Vikings, VAQ-131 Lancers and most recently VAQ-136 Gauntlets (stationed in Atsugi, Japan). It was a great airplane, real old school, low tech, tough, with lots if redundancy. I flew it for 12 years continuously (up till this past Dec) w/o any major issues. Never had to land single-engined, something some of my Hornet buddies have a harder time saying.

danewilson77
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks all, I'll look in to the CCA. I was a Porsche guy for a long time and PCA was worth the membership even though I mostly did just tech sessions. Finally got a break in the weather today and vacuumed the car out today and went by the dealer and picked up some all weather rubber mats for the rear seats (already in the front). Didn't think you could buy anything at the dealer for only $35, certainly never happens at the Porsche or Volvo dealer. Thinking the weather might be breaking here and maybe I should be taking the winter tires off on putting either the 18's or 19's on....

I flew Prowlers with VAQ-140 Patriots, VAQ-129 Vikings, VAQ-131 Lancers and most recently VAQ-136 Gauntlets (stationed in Atsugi, Japan). It was a great airplane, real old school, low tech, tough, with lots if redundancy. I flew it for 12 years continuously (up till this past Dec) w/o any major issues. Never had to land single-engined, something some of my Hornet buddies have a harder time saying.

Did your squadron fly with either IKE or BUSH?

prowlerflyer
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I’ve been on the quite a number of carriers (short carrier qualification detachments), surprisingly though neither the Bush or the Ike. Primarily I have deployed on JFK (underway off the east coast on 9/11), GW, Lincoln, Kitty Hawk and GW again.

I would love to get to lime rock over the summer. Was in my shed tonight trying to decide 18" ZHP wheels or 19" VMR V710's, for when the snow is gone. Decisions, decisions... Trust me the TS2 kit just transforms the car, such good grunt from 2k rpm and beyond. I think ESS claims full boost by like 2200 rpm. I was browsing LSD websites last night, boy it would really wake up the car. Not really sure if the wife would like me to drop $4k for a new diff right now.

kayger12
02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Not really sure if the wife would like me to drop $4k for a new diff right now.

What she doesn't know won't hurt you ;)

Marcus-SanDiego
02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I’ve been on the quite a number of carriers (short carrier qualification detachments), surprisingly though neither the Bush or the Ike. Primarily I have deployed on JFK (underway off the east coast on 9/11), GW, Lincoln, Kitty Hawk and GW again.

I would love to get to lime rock over the summer. Was in my shed tonight trying to decide 18" ZHP wheels or 19" VMR V710's, for when the snow is gone. Decisions, decisions... Trust me the TS2 kit just transforms the car, such good grunt from 2k rpm and beyond. I think ESS claims full boost by like 2200 rpm. I was browsing LSD websites last night, boy it would really wake up the car. Not really sure if the wife would like me to drop $4k for a new diff right now.

If your wife is anything like mine, she'll love you for it. My wife loves the Quaife on the 335. We call it a major safety feature. :biggrin