PDA

View Full Version : Failed alignment today...Rear Control Arm issues

MooseX
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Left BBQ tongs must be bent 'cause all I they could get was 1.1 camber on the drivers side rear...sigh. On the positive side I now have a real good excuse to pop for cool ADJ control arms:applause2.

Also the shop I went to couldn't manage the front camber either..something about not having the right tool. Shame cause they have a brand shiny new Hunter Alignment rack'. Silly me I need to take it to a legit BMW shop...doh. It was a weak effort to get the car on the road by the 4th.

They did bring it as close as they could so I cound cruise around town till' I get the new parts. Luckily (despite the new offset Z4M control arm bushings) front camber is not that far off. Totally stoked on the Z4M bushings...those precious items gave me some serious caster:applause

Here's a question> Can I use the same bushing tool for the rear control arm bushings (upper/lower) that I did for the RTAB's? That job was a snap with that tool..a real laugher compared to some of the other suspension stuff

Once I get the old control arms off I'll have some killer BBQ tongs..those things are really wimpy (on purpose I know but cmon' now...)

LivesNearCostco
07-02-2013, 10:30 PM
No special tool is needed to adjust front camber, except a small center punch, a hammer, and a 13mm socket. If the locator pin in the strut hats is still there, you can't adjust camber at all. If the locator pin has been removed (center punch and hammer on regular E46, possibly small allen wrench or torx socket on E46M), then you can adjust it around 0.5 degrees.

I'm assuming you have stock strut hats and not camber plates. Even most camber plates can be adjusted with the 13mm socket and/or some hex (allen) sockets.

MooseX
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
so you saying to remove that center pin completely by shearing it off? I like that idea. I'll break out my 'Big Bertha' 10 pounder and my best center punch.. Makes it pretty easy to adj' camber.

OK now its all about the rear control arms and bushings. Might as well do all of the bushings. I've done every other bush' besides the dif'

danewilson77
07-03-2013, 01:57 AM
so you saying to remove that center pin completely by shearing it off? I like that idea. I'll break out my 'Big Bertha' 10 pounder and my best center punch.. Makes it pretty easy to adj' camber.

OK now its all about the rear control arms and bushings. Might as well do all of the bushings. I've done every other bush' besides the dif'

Yes. The alignment shop is no good. Must punch fsm pins in front to achieve what your looking for.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

330i ZHP
07-03-2013, 02:55 AM
"the right tool" lol

danewilson77
07-03-2013, 03:47 AM
FWIW, maybe we should know what specs you're using. I've haven't punched pins in a long time and don't really think it should be necessary.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

MooseX
07-03-2013, 07:30 AM
goal is>

1.5 F

1.9 R

6 degrees Caster

Just ordered my adj control arms..working on bushing order. F'n holiday is going to get in the way of this most important matter. i'd like to get the alignment right before I abuse my new tires too much...

Question> is the upper control arms inner bushing a biach? Rephrase..how much of a biach?

danewilson77
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
A lot of bizatch.

Newjack
07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
goal is>

1.5 F

1.9 R

6 degrees Caster

Just ordered my adj control arms..working on bushing order. F'n holiday is going to get in the way of this most important matter. i'd like to get the alignment right before I abuse my new tires too much...

Question> is the upper control arms inner bushing a biach? Rephrase..how much of a biach?

Buy the FCABs with the with them already inside of the mounting bracket. Saves a lot of headache.

Also if anyone has a DIY on how to remove rear control arms let me know. I haven't found much and I have to do mine this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

scooby24
07-03-2013, 03:43 PM
The rear control arms are no fun because the bolts near the differential are impossible to get out without lowering the differential. It was one of the first jobs I did as mine were bent. Kind of a pita.

Newjack
07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
The rear control arms are no fun because the bolts near the differential are impossible to get out without lowering the differential. It was one of the first jobs I did as mine were bent. Kind of a pita.

Was there a diy or guide that you used when you did this?

scooby24
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Was there a diy or guide that you used when you did this?

No, I just kinda winged it. I think I referenced how to drop the differential by checking out the Service Manual.

Newjack
07-03-2013, 07:58 PM
No, I just kinda winged it. I think I referenced how to drop the differential by checking out the Service Manual.

Roger.

MooseX
07-03-2013, 09:10 PM
already got the new control arms and every other bushing installed...last is the rear upper/lower control arm bushing.

Yes you have to loosen the diff bolts and jimmy jack the dif out of the way. Helps to have a pet gorilla to manhandle it

scooby24
07-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Oh that's right. Don't drop diff...loosen and jack it. Now I remember. Sorry been a while.

MooseX
07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Im not looking forward to it but whatever it takes I'll have new control arms in the car by Sunday.

UdubBadger
07-04-2013, 08:03 AM
fun isn't it?