PDA

View Full Version : HID kit question

dann320
07-09-2013, 06:52 AM
im look to buy an HID kit for my zhp. i have projector lights. what your opinions on what brand i should buy? i was looking at DDM. and the bulb is an H7 correct? also, i need bi-xenon. what are your opinons? thanks guys

Avetiso
07-09-2013, 07:35 AM
OEM or bust. - Justin is gonna say that.

Avetiso
07-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Also, I'd stay away from DDM tuning. Cheap stuff.

trancenation
07-09-2013, 11:24 AM
As for ddm tuning stuff, I haven't had problems with their older kits 4 years running now. I'm not too sure about the quality recently.

ryankokesh
07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Yeah, DDM isn't great, but they're cheap. I got an HID kit for my projector fogs from them. So far so good.

Are you just looking for the bulbs?

scooby24
07-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah if you have projectors, you should already have HID's....there's not need for a "kit". Just bulbs. I would recommend OEM color or 5k max.

TomTomTuning
07-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Are your current bulbs blown? or do you believe they're just not as bright as they should be?
The reason I ask is because it could be the dreaded burnt bowl's...

Philps D2S bulbs are considered some of the best but DDMTuning will definitely be the cost effective route to go.

scooby24
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
The burnt bowls are the suck. I performed the FX-R 3.0 retrofit and it was a total PITA, IMO.

If they are burnt, TRS now has a kit that's direct plug and play for the ZKW. It's like 3 times as much as the FX-R but it would be worth every penny to be plug and play.

TomTomTuning
07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
The burnt bowls are the suck. I performed the FX-R 3.0 retrofit and it was a total PITA, IMO.

If they are burnt, TRS now has a kit that's direct plug and play for the ZKW. It's like 3 times as much as the FX-R but it would be worth every penny to be plug and play.
Which TRS kit would that be? Cant seem to find it on their site.

scooby24
07-09-2013, 02:13 PM
It's the retro-quick system. I think the projectors are not quite as fantastic as the FX-R, but I wouldn't have cared, so long as it was truly plug and play.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=254

TomTomTuning
07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
It's the retro-quick system. I think the projectors are not quite as fantastic as the FX-R, but I wouldn't have cared, so long as it was truly plug and play.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=254
There's a "projectors and brackets" only option, which makes it $165. I haven't checked yet but I'm afraid I'll need to replace my bowls...

I bought Mini H1's to retrofit into my 325xi's halogen headlights but then sold the car and got the ZHP. I wonder if they'll let me send them back and get this kit.. :)

scooby24
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Shit I didn't even see that. For that price it's a no brainer. It's really not that hard getting the lights out and disassembled. The hard part is definitely the measuring 8 times before cutting, cutting wrong, then epoxying everything back together again.

Only think is the shrouds snap onto the ZKW projector, that's the only way they attach. if there aren't snaps in the same location for the shrouds on these projectors (doubt it) you'll still have to epoxy the shrouds to the reflector housing.

Be prepared to spray paint them chrome if you attempt to clean the shrouds. The chrome just disappears and the shroud goes clear plastic. Wear rubber gloves and avoid finger prints on them so you don't have to attempt to clean them.

TomTomTuning
07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Sorry for thread jacking...

I was adjusting my Angel Eyes the other day and found that out the hard way. I rubbed some of the paint off one of my shrouds. I'll try and paint them first but it they don't look good then I'll replace them.

I'm going to call TRS tomorrow and ask them about that kit. It would be great if they mount up without epoxy. Also I wonder what bracket they're referring to with that option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washburn
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Can mod(s) move this thread to dedicated 'Lighting' section? Thanks!
Ordnung muss sein! ;)

danewilson77
07-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Can mod(s) move this thread to dedicated 'Lighting' section? Thanks!
Ordnung muss sein! ;)

Done Washy. Thanks.

dann320
07-11-2013, 05:27 AM
a

JKO_ZHP
11-03-2013, 08:12 PM
This is old but I have to say it. Do NOT buy from DDMTuning unless you're fine with playing a round of Russian roulette.

Their stuff is made in China and I've had a kit from the supplier, so the same kit they sell, and they went out within a couple months. Some people have ones that miraculously last for a while but most will say theirs did not last long.

TRS is much more reliable; I've had their Morimoto ballasts for my quads and projector fogs for over a year now and they're still running strong.

sillieidiot
11-03-2013, 10:49 PM
This is old but I have to say it. Do NOT buy from DDMTuning unless you're fine with playing a round of Russian roulette.

Their stuff is made in China and I've had a kit from the supplier, so the same kit they sell, and they went out within a couple months. Some people have ones that miraculously last for a while but most will say theirs did not last long.

TRS is much more reliable; I've had their Morimoto ballasts for my quads and projector fogs for over a year now and they're still running strong.

just so you know, the morimotos are also made in China. so that shouldn't be a reason not to buy the DDM. i wouldn't buy from DDM because they have crappy service lol but their stuff are cheap and it works. in my experience, stay away from the slims.

danewilson77
11-04-2013, 03:33 AM
just so you know, the morimotos are also made in China. so that shouldn't be a reason not to buy the DDM. i wouldn't buy from DDM because they have crappy service lol but their stuff are cheap and it works. in my experience, stay away from the slims.

Aftermarket stuff is cheap. I've seen the oem/BMW stuff is expensive.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

cakM3
11-04-2013, 04:19 AM
I have used DDM tuning for the past 4 years now without any issues.... been using 6000k bulbs for both my bi-xenons and fogs. Recently ordered from DDM tuning a set of 5000k bulbs for both cars. Yeah they're cheap bulbs but if they can last over 4 years usage and remain relatively cheap, which they are, then why not use them? No complaints using them so far :thumbsup

JKO_ZHP
11-05-2013, 08:43 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-679638.html
Half and half I guess.....no idea that Morimotos were also made in China, heard & thought it was in Taiwan or at least the components. Huge difference, China and Taiwan :)

az3579
11-05-2013, 07:28 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-679638.html
Half and half I guess.....no idea that Morimotos were also made in China, heard & thought it was in Taiwan or at least the components. Huge difference, China and Taiwan :)

It's not a matter of being made in China, it's a matter of quality control. Some companies care, others don't.
Look at Apple products, for example. They have strict quality control standards, and it shows, despite being built in China.

sillieidiot
11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
It's not a matter of being made in China, it's a matter of quality control. Some companies care, others don't.
Look at Apple products, for example. They have strict quality control standards, and it shows, despite being built in China.

exactly. i would say the morimotos have better QC, but you also pay for that too.

JKO_ZHP
11-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Components too. I guarantee if you open up a DDM ballast and compare with a Morimoto, they are different.

Apple products being made in China is just assembly, their components come from other places. http://www.pcworld.com/article/227210/article.html
The "Made in China" stereotype comes from the thought that the parts come from there too.

az3579
11-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Components too. I guarantee if you open up a DDM ballast and compare with a Morimoto, they are different.

Apple products being made in China is just assembly, their components come from other places. http://www.pcworld.com/article/227210/article.html
The "Made in China" stereotype comes from the thought that the parts come from there too.

Assembly is just as important as the parts themselves. You can ruin a great product with shoddy assembly. Quality control keeps everything together, and it most definitely helps to use quality components.