PDA

View Full Version : Android Users.. E46 Radio integration

derbo
07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Hey guys,

For those who use android, is there anything out there that gives android integration to the stock business CD player?

I have a DICE right now for the iphone and was thinking of jumping to android. I would love to have integration and have control from the steering wheel and radio.

Requirements:

Radio controls android ie. skipping, pause/play/stop.
-steering wheel controls optional.

optional:
line out audio from the android, pre-amplified. (ie. not the headphone port)
charge the phone simultaneously.

E_Rak
07-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I've not heard of anything that works like this for android, and it isn't as simple as splicing the droid universal micro usb end as the data transfer is different between them. Would be interested to see if someone has an integration solution though...

NorCal-Dimitri
07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I've searched around quite a bit and haven't been able to find anything. I too have a dice interface, but an android phone. I got tired of searching so I threw in the towel and bought a cheap ipod off of eBay for music. Tell me if you find anything because I would love one of something like this for my phone.

derbo
07-29-2013, 10:16 PM
worse comes to worse, I will use my ipod touch and wifi tether to the ipod touch to use pandora/spotify/podcasts.

But it definitely seems like perhaps Bluetooth mediabridge might be the only real decent solution.

Currently in my Prius, I've grown acustomeed to bluetooth audio.. and I want that in my E46.. :X

Avetiso
07-29-2013, 10:19 PM
You are not going to find line out on an android device.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

derbo
07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
You are not going to find line out on an android device.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

sad face engaged :(

Seems silly. Perhaps a USB DAC?

Avetiso
07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
sad face engaged :(

Seems silly. Perhaps a USB DAC?
If you could do something through Bluetooth/WiFi, you could possibly get an external DAC without audio loss. I've heard whispers of rumors of line out via micro-USB, but I've never found anything concrete.

One downside to Android. But if I recall correctly, iPhone got rid of L/O with the 5, right?

derbo
07-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Dario,

I currently have a 4s and looking for a new phone soon. I have not decided to go android or not. Since I couldn't find any real information on a line out, I figured to ask here.

You are right. Iphone5 got rid of analog line out. There still is a digital line out that is encrypted and requires apple's decryption hardware to utilize it. The lightning connector to the 30pin adapter had a DAC in itas well but I has read the quality of the analog signal is terrible compared to the good ole 4S.

Of course Bluetooth audio will be subpar compare to a line out but it seems like a viable solution.

In reality, car audio isn't the most ideal output for music anyways. With all those wind, tire and environment noises, it's hard to appreciate the clarity of a piece.

Does anyone know what kind of options we have for Bluetooth audio? Dice mediabridge comes to mind but I haven't look deeply into it.

Off topic: I really don't look forward to prying my trim piece off since I already jbweld repaired it. :facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edit:
It looks like dice media bridge can do bt audio. Since google 4.3 now can support avrcp 1.3, I think I can live with bt audio.

3ZHPGUY
07-30-2013, 03:20 AM
I have a auxiliary input that I use with my MP3 player and iPhone but, it has no control other than volume, for everything else I need to use the device. This is what I'm using but, the company may be out of business.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/6622526/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettbimmer
07-30-2013, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine has been working on this, though it is a little bit different then what you are discussing.

http://www.startercircuits.com/

johnrando
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
That is really cool!

derbo
07-30-2013, 10:50 AM
A friend of mine has been working on this, though it is a little bit different then what you are discussing.

This looks very interesting. Unfortunately I do not have a navigation unit and it seems it will be limited with the business radio.

The more I research the Dice media bridge, the more I see issues with them. Hopefully something pops up where I can find something similar to the dice line out/charging iphone for an android.

Thanks guys for your input! :)

Avetiso
07-30-2013, 11:45 AM

That'd be so cool with the new Nexus 7.

2004_blue_zhp
07-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Debro,

This might interest you: I have a dice media bridge that has a broken USB port on it. As far as I can tell, everything else on it still works (Aux/BT/BT Audio). I prefer the wired interface for audio quality so I went ahead and bought a new unit. So what I have now is the old (USB-broken) unit with a full set of cables (from the new unit). Charging won't work since the USB port is busted, but a cigarette lighter usb charger can be had for < $10 and then you can do the rest (steering wheel controls and bt audio) without any other cables running to your phone. (I think...I'm an iPhone guy so I don't know exactly how it would work with Android.)

I had discussed selling it to someone else here, but we can't seem to connect any more (first I wasn't checking my messages, now he doesn't seem to be).

In any event, do you have any interest in it? I was asking $100.

derbo
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Debro,

This might interest you: I have a dice media bridge that has a broken USB port on it. As far as I can tell, everything else on it still works (Aux/BT/BT Audio). I prefer the wired interface for audio quality so I went ahead and bought a new unit. So what I have now is the old (USB-broken) unit with a full set of cables (from the new unit). Charging won't work since the USB port is busted, but a cigarette lighter usb charger can be had for < $10 and then you can do the rest (steering wheel controls and bt audio) without any other cables running to your phone. (I think...I'm an iPhone guy so I don't know exactly how it would work with Android.)

I had discussed selling it to someone else here, but we can't seem to connect any more (first I wasn't checking my messages, now he doesn't seem to be).

In any event, do you have any interest in it? I was asking $100.

Thanks,

but the Dice Media bridge doesn't seem like it does what I need at the moment. I really do prefer line out and I may just stick with an iPod Touch with wifi to the android if I have to. Anyways this is all research tbh. I havent bought a new phone yet but getting ready for it so I can have some music while I drive. Right now I dont need the music with the TSE3 :drool

2004_blue_zhp
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
You men line out as opposed to using the headphone jack into an aux input?

derbo
07-30-2013, 07:31 PM
You men line out as opposed to using the headphone jack into an aux input?

Yes. I prefer a true line out. This way the volume control on the radio is true volume.