PDA

View Full Version : OH: Maintenance - Need to do some brake work

Stu
08-02-2013, 10:44 AM
I am in need of doing some brake work, specifically freeing up a rounded off bolt. Unfortunately, I am limited in some my tools at the moment and am currently saving up to get some. I do have a fair amount, but getting my car up on jack stands is a bit difficult at the moment.

Is there anyone around the Columbus area that would be willing to help me out? Preferably, someone with a house or garage? I'd be glad to pay in 6-packs and other maintenance on your car :)

ryankokesh
08-02-2013, 02:36 PM
I'd happily help ya out, but I think I'm kinda outta range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettbimmer
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Oh no! Not the dreaded brake disk bolt! I'm sorry Stu. I hope you are able to get some assistance from a good mafia member. Is Monk3y in Ohio and close to you?

BCS_ZHP
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
I'd gladly help you too but its 425 miles to Northern Virginia.

BCS_ZHP
08-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Go to a motorcycle store and buy an impact screwdriver from them. Then insert the proper torx fitting into the end of that impact screwdriver and give it a whack with the hammer. Precede this with soaking the disc screw/bolt with PB Blaster or something similar. The screw/bolt should pop right out of there. The impact screwdriver costs less than $20.

Stu
08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Oh no! Not the dreaded brake disk bolt! I'm sorry Stu. I hope you are able to get some assistance from a good mafia member. Is Monk3y in Ohio and close to you?

He might be, I'll ask him.

I've got my secret weapon: an absurdly large breaker bar made out of steel conduit :D

Now we're just hoping that the easy-out sockets work, or I'm screwed.

M0nk3y
08-06-2013, 05:27 PM
He might be, I'll ask him.

I've got my secret weapon: an absurdly large breaker bar made out of steel conduit :D

Now we're just hoping that the easy-out sockets work, or I'm screwed.

I'm up in Cleveland. I'll be in Columbus Sunday if you need help.

However, get on ohiobimmers.com and post a thread. You'll get a couple people to help the next day. There are a lot of good people I know down there

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Torxuvin
08-07-2013, 03:22 AM
I am in need of doing some brake work, specifically freeing up a rounded off bolt. Unfortunately, I am limited in some my tools at the moment and am currently saving up to get some. I do have a fair amount, but getting my car up on jack stands is a bit difficult at the moment.

Is there anyone around the Columbus area that would be willing to help me out? Preferably, someone with a house or garage? I'd be glad to pay in 6-packs and other maintenance on your car :)

:eeps Been there buddy. Good luck. I still swear to anyone that will listen that those bolts are worse than anything else I've had to do on the car. Cooling system, bushings, etc....