PDA

View Full Version : Shark Tune and fuel economy?

PirateZHP
08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
I am sorry to have to do this, but I have looked through the site and cannot find a direct answer to the question...

Anyone with a shark tune, can you tell me what happened to your fuel economy? It seems like it got better for most people. Yes, if you drive like a maniac (which you may be inclined to do at first) your fuel economy may go down. But what is the long-lasting effect on fuel economy?

And if you want to answer this question, feel free: Is it worth the money? If not, what would you rather have/do to your ZHP?

BCS_ZHP
08-10-2013, 01:52 PM
ECSU Grad,
Any of the custom tunes will give you more power, and initially less MPGs because your foot will be in it (guilty on two different tunes). After that, you should see about a 5-10% fuel economy improvement because your car is now better mapped for fuel-air mixtures.
Bruce

PirateZHP
08-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks, BCS. I assumed as much, but hadn't seen a definite answer yet.

Do you have a preference on what tune to do? Or any other route you would take?

BCS_ZHP
08-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I like the Shark, Dane had the owner stand behind it for superior customer service. My son did the Active Autowerke tune and its more than the Shark but it cost 50% more. Seth also has the EuroTune and offers the family a deal.
Bruce

az3579
08-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I have had a Shark tune on my car for almost the length of time I've owned it.
In the fuel economy regard, it has improved maybe, MAYBE on average 0.5mpg. It was a minimal increase, at best. If this is all you're concerned about, then it's not worth the money.

Other benefits are a very VERY slight increase in throttle response, and an increase in power only noticeable by your butt. The power increase is dependent on the power mods you have installed on the car.

PirateZHP
08-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I have had a Shark tune on my car for almost the length of time I've owned it.
In the fuel economy regard, it has improved maybe, MAYBE on average 0.5mpg. It was a minimal increase, at best. If this is all you're concerned about, then it's not worth the money.

Other benefits are a very VERY slight increase in throttle response, and an increase in power only noticeable by your butt. The power increase is dependent on the power mods you have installed on the car.

Not worried about the fuel economy, but was more curious as I have seen some people hint to it. I am more interested in the performance... but it also seems like you don't think it is really worth it either way.

3ZHPGUY
08-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I went with Turner underdrive pulleys and have been very satisfied with performance and gas mileage. I was seriously considering a Dinan Performance Software until I talked to a personal friend that is a Dinan Tech, all I can say is I don't have it and probably never will

In regards to the pulley gas millage change;I made a trip from Buffalo, NY to Cleveland, OH after the pulleys were installed, Once on the highway I reset my MPG and speed calculator, if I remember correctly MPG for the hyway pat of the trip was near 33 mpg @ 75+ mpg avg. if your interested, I have every tank calculated for over 100,000 miles with stats from before and after the pulleys.

az3579
08-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Not worried about the fuel economy, but was more curious as I have seen some people hint to it. I am more interested in the performance... but it also seems like you don't think it is really worth it either way.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it with no other mods. If you have a catback, pullies, an intake, perhaps a throttle body; maybe then it would be worth it so the software is flashed to match those mods. I wouldn't know what gains there are to be had because I haven't reflashed mine like I should have when I got my catback installed.