PDA

View Full Version : 8/24-25 NJMP Lightning with DelVal BMW CCA

zhpnsnv
08-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Anyone else going to this, or just me?

This will be my first time on track in a while with the CCA. Hopefully the skippy school last week got the rust off. I'm going with the 1er completely stock because I want to learn the car. If I blow through the pads, I'll change them. If I cook the fluid, I'll pit in. If the car understeers, I'll drive it accordingly. For 2 days out of 365 that the car will be used this way, the modifications that will make it completely track-worthy are not worth it to me. There's no winner of HPDE except for everyone who gets to drive their car home with the shiny stuff still shiny. Still running the adv. run group so I will have to avoid being a moving chicane! Oy!

Because it's a new car I did buy a Lockton HPDE insurance policy, just in case. Also had to get a new helmet since mine is no longer viable, and NJ requires all helmets to have a face shield even though you don't have to use it in a closed cockpit car.

Lightning is very tough on front left tires, so if it is not raining, I will switch the fronts side to side after saturday's sessions. Not worried about tread pattern in the dry on these runflats. That said, if I blow through one, then that will help me get rid of all of them sooner. hmmmmmmmm.

Anyhoozle, I'll post up pics and updates as the weekend goes on. Hoping to get some karting in, too!

kayger12
08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Love the plan. Wish I could join you. Unfortunately, won't be around this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

zhpnsnv
08-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Day 1 = 4 karting races at the f1 karting place in the infield of lightning. What a friggin blast. In other words, karting is the time to do every single thing you should never ever do on a real track. First session is 9:40 tomorrow. Pumped to ruin these runflats!!!!

Hornung418
08-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I love go karts. Can't wait for the vids.

GS3 + TT4

LivesNearCostco
08-23-2013, 08:17 PM
do you kart there in karts or in your car?

zhpnsnv
08-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Kart track there, their karts. Just finished first session in the 1. Temps great, brakes and tires are obviously weak. Fun though.

brettbimmer
08-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Have a great time Marc! Wish I was there with ya, but I will be with you in spirit!

zhpnsnv
08-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Amazing day on track. This e82 is a little beast. Yes tires and brakes are limiting factors but who cares! Did cook it too hot into 7 last session and went off. No harm except some dust.

Left front tire = cooked.

Hornung418
08-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Good excuse to buy Higher performance tires!

GS3 + TT4

zhpnsnv
08-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Indeed. Swapped front tires this am. Car is rock solid. I think my instructor wants to buy one.

zhpnsnv
08-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Quick rundown -

Just reporting in after a track weekend with the 135is. I'll keep this brief and not get too far into narratives.

- Outside temps were +80 degrees and sunny, but the oil temps never tipped over 270 at the highest. I was impressed with this - no limp mode, not even the slightest hiccup.

- The tires (stock runflats) were good for about two laps, then they became FUN in that you could just slide around the track and feel the car. Slide, not drift.

- One press of DSC = traction control off, which was a big improvement. Hold button down = DSC OFF, which was a massive improvement.

- The rear end is "squishy," but I didn't find it unpredictable at all, especially considering the car just wanted to push and push and push, which, to be honest, isn't a problem on a new car that I don't want to crunch. Just requires one to drive it properly.

- One off-track excursion was in turn 7 (lightning at NJMP), tight left. I was passing so took an inside line, cooked it too hot, and opted to just go off with the wheels pointed straight versus trying to accomplish some heroic save and potentially go off sideways. Got some dust on the car but no more.

- Tires and brakes were limiting factors, but not to the point where it was dangerous. I'm a proponent of taking your stock car to the track to learn it. If I do this again (I will), it'll be with non-RF summer tires and hawk HP+ pads. Possibly the Ti shims, but I really didn't experience terrible brake fade. As I got more comfy with the car, was hitting + 135mph on the front straight, which is all I could manage after the light bulb and the limited grip after the left front tire was shot. Better drivers could easily get this car up to 140-145 on the front straight.

- My instructor LOVED this car. He was so impressed with how tossable, balanced, and well-mannered it was.

All in all, very fun weekend. Had a great first session on Sunday then packed up and left, knowing that the final sessions are typically when hell breaks loose. Plus, my next session was several hours after.

Looking to go back to lightning 10/13-14 with NJ Chapter.

One pic (I forgot to buy the good one the company there got of me - sorry for no on-track action):
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/mbcoops/null_zps5356b3c4.jpg

brettbimmer
08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Nice write-up Marc! Sounds like you had a fun time. Glad that the 135is performed well for you, and I hope you are able to get back out on the track in the near future.

zhpnsnv
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
10/13-14 njmp with nj CCA! Let's get some ZHPs out there!