PDA

View Full Version : Supercharge? or Naturally Aspirated (Mods)?

L0veZHP
02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
The question is in the title.

What are the negatives of Supercharging?
Modding out a car is pretty expensive either way I was just wondering which is better? (I guess)

and how does the Supercharger work? what else would I need to buy with it so my car would be able to handle it? or can i mix it up with mods and a supercharger? or does it have to be one or the other?

(btw this is just so i can know not doing any of this any time soon)

danewilson77
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
S/C...if you gots the $$$$

JohnnyGraphic
02-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Depends on what your priorities are. If it is flat out speed, then go with a supercharger. A few things to MAKE SURE you do when you do this. Allow extra time and money to fine tune your system. Most importantly, with the extra speed comes the responsibility to stop too. So an upgrade to your brakes is mandatory. Brake lines, fluid, BBK etc. Also, you will need to attend to any issues to your engine due to mileage. Get all of your maintenance done and out of the way. Gaskets, vacuum lines, everything!

Have fun!!!

Johnny

az3579
02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
After all is said and done including supercharger, upgrades, maintenance, I'm sure you'll be running upwards of $6-8k at a minimum, not including labor.

Nivo
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I say boosted is your best power per dollar ratio. If you try going the N/A route you will pick up 30whp max and spend close to $4k. at that point I would do a turbo kit or supercharger.

04ZHP_PDX
02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I really like my supercharger. However, I'll actually be taking it off. The supercharger is great, but as a DD, I had to weigh longevity vs. speed and longevity won out at this point.

That said, the SC is amazing, smooth and F*&$%!@ fast. 300rwhp is a 4door M3...not bad!

mimalmo
02-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I really like my supercharger. However, I'll actually be taking it off. The supercharger is great, but as a DD, I had to weigh longevity vs. speed and longevity won out at this point.

That said, the SC is amazing, smooth and F*&$%!@ fast. 300rwhp is a 4door M3...not bad!

When you're getting ready to pull off the SC, let me know.

Gheybe
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Depends on what your priorities are. If it is flat out speed, then go with a supercharger. A few things to MAKE SURE you do when you do this. Allow extra time and money to fine tune your system. Most importantly, with the extra speed comes the responsibility to stop too. So an upgrade to your brakes is mandatory. Brake lines, fluid, BBK etc. Also, you will need to attend to any issues to your engine due to mileage. Get all of your maintenance done and out of the way. Gaskets, vacuum lines, everything!

Have fun!!!

Johnny
Not necessary at all.
Good brake pads are all you need. Your rotors have plenty of power to brake. The issue isn't there. And the "drilled" and "slotted" rotors make zero difference unless you are doing 3 laps in a row all the time at a high braking course.

Gheybe
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Let me know also.

VERY interested. VERY.

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Okay so I was wondering if like I can have a afe intake and also be s/c? Or like have eBay headers and random tech cat? Evo pullys? Can I have all of that while also having a s/cer in a ZHP?

or does it have to be one or the other?

AAnd shark injectors

Nivo
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Okay so I was wondering if like I can have a afe intake and also be s/c? Or like have eBay headers and random tech cat? Evo pullys? Can I have all of that while also having a s/cer in a ZHP?

or does it have to be one or the other?

AAnd shark injectors

Skip the intake as most supercharger kits include that.
you can add another other mod as if it was N/A, so headers etc will work.

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Skip the intake as most supercharger kits include that.
you can add another other mod as if it was N/A, so headers etc will work.
Alright then thanks a lot then. I've been wondering this for a while now. I won't be doing anything right now but fixing the body up. But after that I plan to mod it and save up for a s/c. But before I mod, id like to getbsome nice brakes... any idea on good brakes? The only only one I have in mind are BMW performance, but I'm not sure if they are really worth a grand.

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Have fun!!!

Johnny

Any good idea for good brakes? I only have BMW performance in mind and I'm not really sure if they are worth a grand.

Mtnman
02-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Any good idea for good brakes? I only have BMW performance in mind and I'm not really sure if they are worth a grand.

Talk to smileys at Brakeyoself. One of our sponsers and members.

mimalmo
02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Or buy them from ECS Tuning at a fraction of that $1k price.

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Now that I think about it I'm not even sure I want to s/c because by the time I get it ill have around 100k miles on the car.(BTW I have 84 on it now, and it runs perfect and I plan to keep it that way) do you guys still think it would be worth it? At 100k odo

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Or buy them from ECS Tuning at a fraction of that $1k price.

That 1k is ecs price.

Nivo
02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Now that I think about it I'm not even sure I want to s/c because by the time I get it ill have around 100k miles on the car.(BTW I have 84 on it now, and it runs perfect and I plan to keep it that way) do you guys still think it would be worth it? At 100k odo

My car has 108k on it and I am going to turbocharge it.

And about brakes how fast are you gonna go because I would just get Slotted rotors and ceramic pads. no need to go extravagant when you can spend $350. with those savings you can even get the rotors cryogenic treated for around $120 for all 4.

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
My car has 108k on it and I am going to turbocharge it.

And about brakes how fast are you gonna go because I would just get Slotted rotors and ceramic pads. no need to go extravagant when you can spend $350. with those savings you can even get the rotors cryogenic treated for around $120 for all 4.

Great idea with the brakes. That I will do! And about turbo why that over s/c?

mimalmo
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
That 1k is ecs price.

I thought you were talking about the BMW Performance Brakes.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/OEM/ES2137045/

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM

I was talking about a full set but I will go with those. Nivos idea is a better money saver.

mimalmo
02-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Rears:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/OEM/Rear/ES2137046/

Nivo
02-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Yeah I think so, I think it is like $299 fronts and rears, then add good pads you are out $400.

mimalmo
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
$300 for a set of quality rotors on these cars is a very good price.

Mtnman
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
+1 I got front Performance rotors and akebono ceramic pads for 250 shipped to my door. I thought it was a steal.

Nivo
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Turbo is a bit more involved but with the turbo you can run just off the wastegate spring (low boost) or run higher boost with a boost controller. turbo uses wasted energy to make power, no running off accessory belts or belts to snap off, no slipping of belts etc..

L0veZHP
02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Rears:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/OEM/Rear/ES2137046/
Thank you so much.

JohnnyGraphic
02-11-2011, 08:06 PM
An alternative to turbo/supercharging your car is a shorter rear differential. It's called a poor-mans supercharger!!! I went from a stock 3.07 to a 3.46 and it made a great and fairly inexpensive upgrade. More shifting to do, but you keep your engine totally stock!

Johnny

danewilson77
02-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Do you lose top end that way? What are the other disadvantages?

Mtnman
02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Top end and gas mileage..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

JohnnyGraphic
02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, MAYBE top end. You'll really have to drive fast and far to reach the limitations of a shorter rear end in terms of top speed. You do have to shift earlier in each gear. So, it ruined by 0-60 runs because my 2-3 shift happens around 52 MPH(?) or so. But, I never really time myself so it doesn't really matter. It does make corners and squirting in and out of traffic much easier, not to mention a lot more fun!

Gas mileage went down about 2 MPG. Not a huge difference in my book. But to each his own.

I can't remember what I spent for it. But, if you find a wrecked auto 330i, they carry that diff. A LSD would be even better, but more pricey.

Johnny

danewilson77
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Top end and gas mileage..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

unbearably?

Johnmadd
02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I have a 4.10 led in my e30 and it revs real high on the interstate, 3200 rpm's at 75-80. It still gets like 24 mpg's, and very reponsive at that rpm.

ZHP-FTW
02-13-2011, 12:46 AM

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

ZHP-FTW
02-13-2011, 12:54 AM
An alternative to turbo/supercharging your car is a shorter rear differential. It's called a poor-mans supercharger!!! I went from a stock 3.07 to a 3.46 and it made a great and fairly inexpensive upgrade. More shifting to do, but you keep your engine totally stock! Johnny

I wouldn't exactly say it's the same as a S/C/ Turbo, I went from a 3.07 to 3.38 and did notice a nice difference, but not anything like a 150 hp gain.

Do you lose top end that way? What are the other disadvantages?

I can still reach 160mph with my new 3.38. Might have lost a few mph at the very top, but how often do you max out you speedo? The only slight disadvantage is a little more shifting and slightly higher rpms at cruising speed. But I don't mind either.

az3579
02-13-2011, 07:21 AM
unbearably?

Dude, 2mpg is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge decrease. It really does add up when you look at how many miles you get out of a tank. For someone like you and I, that would be completely unacceptable considering we drive the tires off our cars (30k miles a year). As a toy, it's something I would do, because I wouldn't care about gas mileage and it wouldn't get driven enough for it to matter. But as a daily driver, I don't see how one can live with it...

Sure does have a nice kick to it though.

I have a 4.10 led in my e30 and it revs real high on the interstate, 3200 rpm's at 75-80. It still gets like 24 mpg's, and very reponsive at that rpm.

Those rpms seem way too low for that speed. I would imagine something a lot closer to 3500-3800rpms for that speed with a 4.10... that's insanely short.

Nivo
02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
An alternative to turbo/supercharging your car is a shorter rear differential. It's called a poor-mans supercharger!!! I went from a stock 3.07 to a 3.46 and it made a great and fairly inexpensive upgrade. More shifting to do, but you keep your engine totally stock!

Johnny

I would love to hear your reasoning behind this.

We all know a lower geared rear end (higher number final ratio) doesn't make the engine put out more horsepower as the rear end is after the engine. What it does is allows the engine to spin the tires faster. I have seen on many occasions that a lower rear end final ratio lowers your torque output thus reducing you power output. OMG no way, why , how the? well changing the rear ends final ratio will change your 1:1 of the 4th gear, on most cases you will need to dyno in the next higher gear to get that 1:1 back.

what happens is that you are shifting quicker through the gears, reducing your top end (unless redline is raised). giving the impression of more power.

A supercharger and turbocharger does indeed increase the power at the engine. A rear end doesn't.

There is no replacement for engine modifications to increase the actual power which translates to more WHP. You can shift the power around with gearing but you will not make more power, especially anything close to superchargers and turbochargers.

and with a turbocharger you want to keep the longer gearing as turbos work off engine loading, no load no boost. lower the gearing and you may not reach peak boost.

mimalmo
02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Keep in mind, he's talking about minor changes in final drive ratio. Nobody here is going from their 3.07 to 4.55 gears or anything that drastic. If someone has to go to the next gear for a dyno run, I don't see why that would be a problem but I'm not big into dyno runs so maybe you could elaborate why this would be bad?

If it spins the tires faster, doesn't the car respond better to throttle input changes?

Here's a good resource for those interested in driveline changes.
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/e46_gear_ratio_calculator.htm

Nivo
02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind, he's talking about minor changes in final drive ratio. Nobody here is going from their 3.07 to 4.55 gears or anything that drastic. If someone has to go to the next gear for a dyno run, I don't see why that would be a problem but I'm not big into dyno runs so maybe you could elaborate why this would be bad?

If it spins the tires faster, doesn't the car respond better to throttle input changes?

Here's a good resource for those interested in driveline changes.
http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/e46_gear_ratio_calculator.htm

The point is, it is not a "poor mans" supercharger. The response is better by the way of the lower final drive but doesn't get more power. which was what the statement was comparing, the final drive vs a supercharger.

I am not saying it is not a good investment to get quicker acceleration on a stock car-modified.

Well to the OP of the thread if you are not mechanically inclined then maybe the Supercharger is quicker/easier to install.

Personally I love turbocharging, All our cars are turbo but the BMW which i am going to turbocharge myself.

JohnnyGraphic
02-13-2011, 11:33 AM
O.K. Let me clarify for you. When I mentioned that an 'alternative' to supercharging/turbocharging was a shorter rear-end, I was just mentioning that it was something to consider. Maybe the OP or others reading the forum don't quite have the money to alter their cars the way a supercharger would. It was just something else to consider. I didn't mean that it increased horsepower or torque. It just made 'different' use of what you had. Made the car more responsive than stock. It wasn't as expensive either. So, not the same...just different.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this ok?

Also, fuel economy-In my opinion, 2 MPG isn't much for what I do. I highly doubt that it will make a HUGE difference in one's pocket book. Maybe someone here can run the calcs, but I'm looking at a difference of about $15/month at 15k/year @3.50/gallon.

I can't make a decision for you modders out there, I can only tell you what I did and why I like/don't like what I did. FWIW, I wish I could afford a supercharger. I would have gone with an ESS Tuning Stage 2 supercharger. But, that would be about $6,500(?) plus installation. And, it isn't legal in California, so I would have to unbolt it every 2 years. I don't want to deal with that. Also, I would have to spend extra cash for upgrades to my braking system and possibly strengthen my rear subframe. Maybe. Not sure.

Cheers!

Johnny

danewilson77
02-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Alright fellas....lets keep it civil. No one currently in this discussion is wearing panties....I hope......cept for MsRN.

Nivo
02-13-2011, 11:45 AM
O.K. Let me clarify for you. When I mentioned that an 'alternative' to supercharging/turbocharging was a shorter rear-end, I was just mentioning that it was something to consider. Maybe the OP or others reading the forum don't quite have the money to alter their cars the way a supercharger would. It was just something else to consider. I didn't mean that it increased horsepower or torque. It just made 'different' use of what you had. Made the car more responsive than stock. It wasn't as expensive either. So, not the same...just different.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this ok?

Cheers!

Johnny

An alternative to supercharging/turbocharging a rear end is not, Nitrous on the other hand is.

Now a naturally aspirated mod, Intake, headers, cams, ecu reprogram and rear end is win.

"Panties in a bunch"? is this the honda-tech?:facepalm

I was just putting in my information before 30 guys go out and swap out rear ends expecting the gains of a supercharger.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Let's all relax. I know that the Boston Bruins just lost to the Red Wings -- but let's not allow that bad news to put us in foul moods.

The good news is that the Celtics are beating the Heat right now.

I don't even know what Honda Tech is, by the way. :biggrin

Let's keep it classy, peeps.

danewilson77
02-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Attack the issue.....not each other....please.

pyreguy
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Wait, so do I have to take the panties off my head? And how'd y'all know anyway... Is the camera on my computer turned on???

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
The Celtics just won. I can feel everyone rejoicing now.

Carry on.

Nivo
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Let's all relax. I know that the Boston Bruins just lost to the Red Wings -- but let's not allow that bad news to put us in foul moods.

The good news is that the Celtics are beating the Heat right now.

I don't even know what Honda Tech is, by the way. :biggrin

Let's keep it classy, peeps.

I was just clearly stating facts, before people go out and purchase rear ends thinking they will get supercharging power.

P.s. I am not a Hockey or Basketball fan. lol

Honda-tech is a honda forum. people there sometimes say the "don't get your panties in a bunch" statement.

was there a need for that statement no?

did I later stay on topic? yes.:rockon

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I was just clearly stating facts, before people go out and purchase rear ends thinking they will get supercharging power.

P.s. I am not a Hockey or Basketball fan. lol

Honda-tech is a honda forum. people there sometimes say the "don't get your panties in a bunch" statement.

was there a need for that statement no?

did I later stay on topic? yes.:rockon

Thanks for staying on topic. I just wanted to nip the bud before we got into a battle.

My statement was not directed to anyone specific, either. Just a general message.

Trust me, it's no problem. I'm not singling anyone out.

Carry on, folks.

danewilson77
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
My comment was specifically directed at Gabe.:shift

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 01:09 PM
My comment was specifically directed at Gabe.:shift

LOL. I'll let him know.

We're good here. Enjoy.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Actually, he made a few posts a few days ago. :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
02-13-2011, 01:15 PM
No worries. I am leaving this thread. If anyone wants to talk about Gabe and the spiderman thing you can do it here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?698-***-GENERAL-CHAT-THREAD-***).

Back on topic from here. Sorry for the intrusion, folks.

az3579
02-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Seriously... a page and a half of off topic... we do this every time. lol

The problem with turbo/superchargers seems to be engine longevity. What does this do to the engines of those who want to run theirs for over 300k?
This is one of the reasons I'm afraid to do it.

JohnnyGraphic
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, engine longevity aside, those of us in California are kind of stuck. I don't know of any supercharger/turbocharger system that is carb-legal. ESS tuning has a twin screw supercharger system that was highly talked about, but to my knowledge, still working on or not able to get the certification. From what little I understand about it, it is a very long and expensive process.

Johnny

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 03:36 PM
N/A is the way to go IMO. Never been a fan of FI. I'm thinking that starting with a ZHP, you do Headers w/ full Custom Exhaust, Intake, Tune, & Pullies you can hit 265hp at the crank (225 at the wheels). If you can get the car down to 3000lb (no sunroof, racing seats, take out all unnecessary weight, cf hood, cf trunk, etc?) that would be close to the performance of an M3. That's what I will be aiming for over the next three or four years. I'd love 275hp and 2900lb.

az3579
02-14-2011, 04:00 PM
you can hit 265hp at the crank (200 at the wheels). If you can get the car down to 3000lb (no sunroof, racing seats, take out all unnecessary weight, cf hood, cf trunk, etc?) that would be close to the performance of an M3. That's what I will be aiming for over the next three or four years. I'd love 275hp and 2900lb.

More than 200whp I'm sure... I would think at least around 220.

You can strip all that stuff you want, but then it becomes less of an awesome all-rounder and becomes more of a one-sided track car. I would think that if you wanted a track car, you'd get something lighter to begin with, no?

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

You can strip all that stuff you want, but then it becomes less of an awesome all-rounder and becomes more of a one-sided track car. I would think that if you wanted a track car, you'd get something lighter to begin with, no?

Hoping this will become my 'weekend/occasional track day' car. I'd love to get a E30 325 as my DD over the summer. Then (eventually) buy a salvaged E46 M3 for the real track day car! :fistpump

EDIT: Oops, calculated my drivetrain loss wrong, did 25% rather than 15%, stupid keyboard :rofl I thought that looked wrong.

Nivo
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM

I think AggieE46 was the one that did the N/a bolt on build and managed about 231whp on a dynojet non load based dyno.

Pretty weak for the thousands spent. On these cars i believe doing N/A kinda sucks if just doing bolt ons.

I am with you about the dedicated track car, the ZHP is a well rounded car out of the box. our 235 Crank Horsepower would translate to about 195-205whp depending on weather conditions and car conditioning. but it has the special package for a reason and getting rid of that you are left with a standard 330Ci.

Nivo
02-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Then (eventually) buy a salvaged E46 M3 for the real track day car! :fistpump
now you're talking

MasterC17
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I think AggieE46 was the one that did the N/a bolt on build and managed about 231whp on a dynojet non load based dyno.

Pretty weak for the thousands spent. On these cars i believe doing N/A kinda sucks if just doing bolt ons.

I am with you about the dedicated track car, the ZHP is a well rounded car out of the box. our 235 Crank Horsepower would translate to about 195-205whp depending on weather conditions and car conditioning. but it has the special package for a reason and getting rid of that you are left with a standard 330Ci.

Bimmerparts Headers: $300
Custom Exhaust: $500-$1200?
Intake: $300
Tune: $300
Pullies: $200

So about $2k for 30-35 horsepower. That's $66/$57 per pony. It was Aggie that got 231rwhp. PEI330Ci was up to I think around 275rwhp before the fire. And someone built a 300rwhp M54B30 somewhere. But, I think if you want high horsepower either FI the ZHP or get a M3.

mimalmo
02-14-2011, 06:55 PM
PEI330Ci's build was amazing.

danewilson77
02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Epic in fact.

Another good one here...

http://e46.mit.edu/

ZHP-FTW
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Very true. His knowledge of Nitrous is amazing as well.

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Where can i purchase eBay Headers?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Love, I believe these are the headers (and this is a reputable seller):

eBay Headers for E46 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2F00-07-BMW-325-330-2-5L-3-0L-Stainless-Headers-E46-02-05-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aBMWQQhashZitem51940 7b2feQQitemZ350375883518QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

And there is a fitment guide in the auction (toward the bottom, so you can confirm).

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Love, I believe these are the headers (and this is a reputable seller):

eBay Headers for E46 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2F00-07-BMW-325-330-2-5L-3-0L-Stainless-Headers-E46-02-05-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aBMWQQhashZitem51940 7b2feQQitemZ350375883518QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ 5fPartsQ5fAccessories)

And there is a fitment guide in the auction (toward the bottom, so you can confirm).

Thank you <3 and im assuming this is not DIY? ... lol (im a novice)

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 07:39 AM
and where can i find a "Random Technology 100 cell Metallic Core Catalytic Converters"? and what does it do?

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Thank you <3 and im assuming this is not DIY? ... lol (im a novice)

Is a diy....

az3579
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Don't headers give the car a very raspy sound?
Definitely not to my tastes...

Nivo
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
and where can i find a "Random Technology 100 cell Metallic Core Catalytic Converters"? and what does it do?

100 cell catalytic converter might get you a check engine light, they do on most cars that go with that high of a flowing catalytic, you can get by with possibly a spark plug anti fouler:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/114931-how-install-spark-plug-anti-foulers-remove-ses-cel-light.html

http://www.randomtechnology.com/contact.html

Nivo
02-16-2011, 02:02 PM

yes, due to the header design. an H pipe or x pipe can help along with a straight through resonator about 24" long.

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
yes, due to the header design. an H pipe or x pipe can help along with a straight through resonator about 24" long.

Is doing headers emissions-compliant?

Nivo
02-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Is doing headers emissions-compliant?

technically no if the headers gets rid of the pre cats in the stock manifolds. regardless if you add a 3 way catalyst after.

But by going with a standard highflow catalytic converter and if you were to get a sniff test the car will most likely pass.

az3579
02-16-2011, 05:26 PM
technically no if the headers gets rid of the pre cats in the stock manifolds. regardless if you add a 3 way catalyst after.

But by going with a standard highflow catalytic converter and if you were to get a sniff test the car will most likely pass.

Darn.
Not interested then. Emissions equipment has to be fully functional.

Oh well.

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Is a diy....

very helpful and enthusiastic dane =/

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
what do you mean raspy sound? is there a video containing this sound that you can show?

mimalmo
02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
what do you mean raspy sound? is there a video containing this sound that you can show?

Listen for the metallic buzzy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3iWdpdyjsw

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Listen for the metallic buzzy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3iWdpdyjsw

i like it =]

mimalmo
02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
i like it =]

You probably wouldn't like it if you heard it in person.

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you so much guys for helping me out on this post. I think I'll be going N/A and not install an intake (or install it last) just in case at the end I'll want to add a S/C. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! :applause2

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you so much guys for helping me out on this post. I think I'll be going N/A and not install an intake (or install it last) just in case at the end I'll want to add a S/C. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! :applause2

Eli is the best.....

L0veZHP
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Eli is the best.....

Special thanks to Nivo as well

Nivo
02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
i like it =]
that resonant sound can be eliminated by:

1. add resonators. the longer the better, close to the headers.
2. add an x pipe to equalize the 2 bank pulses out back.
3. 6 into 1 headers into single exhaust pipe.

Although it is an inline 6 engine they still separate the banks so each side of the exhaust is a 3 cylinder engine all the way back to the muffler. Add an exhaust to a 1.0L 3 cylinder geo metro, put 2 of them side by side and most likely you will get the sound that the ZHP puts out with headers and twin pipe exhaust.

The 7M-GTE supras had a 83mm bore and the exhaust note was still deeper, way deeper. The exhaust pulses went out a single pipe.

danewilson77
02-17-2011, 05:03 AM
Special thanks to Nivo as well

Yes...and Nivo.