PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a fender rolling tool back to life and more

wsmeyer
08-27-2013, 06:28 PM
At our SoCal meetup a few weekends ago, Hieu (sillieidiot) was nice enough to let us borrow his fender rolling tool. Unfortunately, as soon as I started to use it it self destructed on me. Returning a tool broken is not cool so I volunteered to fix it and while doing so it became obvious that the way it was designed and made, they simply won't survive a lot of use so I did a couple extra things to hopefully strengthen it enough to last.

One of the problems was due to misuse. Myself and others attached it onto the car using the lug bolts. THIS SHOULD NOT BE DONE. Because it is designed to work on either 4 or 5 lug cars, two pairs of the holes at 9 and 3 o'clock are so close together that the conical shape of our lug bolts will deform the metal between the holes causing the tool to loosen itself during normal use. This then causes the whole mounting surface where it attaches to the car to bend and curl, and at least in his case, crack the welds, and the more you use it, the worse it gets. I did not take pictures before I pressed it back flat and re-welded it but here's an after pic:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10171&d=1377613875

I had some extra time so I flipped it over and ground the side that mounts to the car perfectly flat. Not really necessary but it looks cool:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10172&d=1377613887

This is the actual part that self destructed:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10173&d=1377613894

This is the shaft that exerts all the pressure on the roller that actually rolls the fender lip. I have no idea why they designed it with just a 12mm bolt and washer attaching it. It will last a few uses but eventually the threads will give out and it will look just like this one. Re-threading that to 7/16:

took care of the threads but now will be slightly weaker than the original 12mm bolt. To prevent that from self destructing again I did what they should have done:

Milled out a larger surface area and fit a thrust bearing on it.

Next up is the way they attached it to the tool:

There's two problems with this. That center part needs to rotate, which means you can't tighten the socket head screw completely, and it's never a good design to have things rotating on the threads of screws. This is the kind of thing that really annoys me as there is no cost difference between screws that are threaded all the way and those that have a shoulder:

Now you can tighten the screws completely and it will rotate on the shoulders instead of the threads:

And here's the roller assembled back together better than new and should last through plenty of uses:

wsmeyer
08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Here's the final pic:

danewilson77
08-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Beautiful work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

johnrando
08-27-2013, 09:26 PM
+1. Nice job. Looking forward to our SoCal fender rolling day again!

derbo
08-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Good repairing a poor design. :)

Pip
08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
It's awesome you were able to do this! Now it can get back to rollin'.

Johnmadd
08-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Nice work.

ELCID86
08-28-2013, 07:03 AM
Nice work. Did the BEast coast one get repaired after the reunion or perhaps its still usable.

danewilson77
08-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Nice work. Did the BEast coast one get repaired after the reunion or perhaps its still usable.

Still works fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

WOLFN8TR
08-28-2013, 09:01 AM
+1. Nice job. Looking forward to our SoCal fender rolling day again!

No doubt! Mighty fine job William! After seeing this I feel Very comfortable with you working on my Sprint Booster Mod!

sillieidiot
08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
nice work. looks so much better.

as for the lugs, did you guys remember to use those washers/adapters for the conical lugs? because it sounds like you didn't lol it was in the plastic bag in the bin. should be like 5 of them.

wsmeyer
08-28-2013, 11:01 AM
nice work. looks so much better.

as for the lugs, did you guys remember to use those washers/adapters for the conical lugs? because it sounds like you didn't lol it was in the plastic bag in the bin. should be like 5 of them.

Washers? adapters? plastic bag? I'm blaming John on that lol.

johnrando
08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
not me, you set it up! :biggrin We can blame someone who's not here.

derbo
08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Did you guys roll the front too?

sillieidiot
08-28-2013, 01:10 PM
http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1104tr_eastwood_fender_roller/photo_03.html#

looks like that thing the guy is holding. should be 5 of them in a plastic bag

johnrando
08-28-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm sure they are still sitting in the box you brought it in. BTW, we really never got a chance to start rolling because it was broken. I think the focus was going to be on just rolling the rears though.

330i ZHP
08-28-2013, 02:03 PM
great work - did you do the welding? I need to learn more welding...I am eh at best

and I think back in the day the unit I borrowed did the same thing - mine hasn't broken to date...but it also has only been used a few times

sillieidiot
08-29-2013, 08:22 AM
iono i would do the fronts while you're doing it so you don't have to do it later. the roller doesn't even work on my car in the front. i ended hammering it flat instead

wsmeyer
08-29-2013, 10:55 AM
great work - did you do the welding? I need to learn more welding...I am eh at best

and I think back in the day the unit I borrowed did the same thing - mine hasn't broken to date...but it also has only been used a few times

I did. I can lay welds that look pretty decent but without any formal training I stay away from stuff that's really important.

JupiterBMW
08-29-2013, 06:46 PM
I did. I can lay welds that look pretty decent but without any formal training I stay away from stuff that's really important.

Coming from someone that does essentially ALL structural/industrial welding, let me say this. Its all about the penetration. :shifty

Pretty welds won't do anything other than look pretty if there is no penetration. I personally don't make the prettiest welds, but they're consistent and deep penetration keeps them together.

Just today I had to weld up a cracked bracket on one of our turbochargers. The beauty of welding is that once you get it bonded well, you can grind it smooth and make a pretty pass over the top... Or personally, I like to weld/grind/weld/grind until you can't even tell a weld was there.

Nice work though, the refinish on the roller looks excellent!

Hermes
08-29-2013, 07:35 PM
So when is the rolling party? I need a slight roll on my fronts in the 320

wsmeyer
08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
So when is the rolling party? I need a slight roll on my fronts in the 320

Let's plan something. I don't mind hosting but any seriously lowered cars won't make it in my garage.

johnrando
08-30-2013, 07:21 AM
I was gonna say, I can host it. I def can't get into William's driveway. Plus, as you may have seen from the pics, you can easily get 4 cars in my driveway and it's flat, so they can be worked on at the same time (except for the rollers). So, any weekend really, how about next?

My only issue is that I sprained my shoulder playing in a BT tourney this past weekend and I might need someone to roll mine. I can hold the heat gun (in my left). Right now I can barely pick up a book w/o pain on my right, let alone roll fenders. Going to the doc tomorrow.

sillieidiot
08-30-2013, 08:41 AM
how bad is william's driveway? cause you scrape on your own driveway, John, but it's like a normal driveway lol

johnrando
08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
His is STEEP with a short but steep up, then down again. No way I could get in. He has to carefully get in and he's not lowered.

sillieidiot
08-31-2013, 10:23 PM
i see, that sounds pretty bad i think. only because i think i'm imagining it wrong lol