PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Control Arm Question

brettbimmer
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Greetings All:

(I trust the knowledge base/wisdom on this forum, so I am posting an E36 suspension question, which could easily apply to the E46's someday).

Earlier this week I ordered up a pair of genuine BMW control arms for my E36, and I just received an email that the left control arm is on backorder from BMW Germany, with no definite delivery date. My options are:

-Wait for the part to be manufactured, delivered to BMW AG, delivered to my parts source, and sent to me. This could take some time, which is my concern. :crying

-Return the one genuine BMW control arm (that is currently en route to me) when it arrives, and swap it so that I have two that are from the same manufacturer. :foottap

-Run the genuine BMW brand on one side, and something else on the other. :shift

If it was your car, what would to do to ensure a proper and balanced repair? :scratchinghead Thanks in advance for your help!

Avetiso
08-30-2013, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't run the new one with the old one. I would return the part and wait till you can buy a pair from another place, if you can.

brettbimmer
08-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't run the new one with the old one. I would return the part and wait till you can buy a pair from another place, if you can.

Thanks Dario. I should clarify - both control arms would be new regardless - it was just a question of whether a mis-matched pair from different manufacturers is a wise idea. I probably already know the answer to this one, but just wanted to see what you all thought.

alexandre
08-30-2013, 12:43 PM
I'd return the one you have and buy a pair from the OE Manufacturer that makes them for BMW. Lemfoerder, Sachs-Boge, etc. Look up the part numbers on RMEuropean.

Hermes
08-30-2013, 01:07 PM
My E21 control arms are mismatched, but it has the worst suspension geometry of any BMW ever...

My buddy wants to build two sets of these for his car and mine:

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---e21-tubular-race-front-suspension-p2170.aspx

Point I was trying to make, I've had no issues in the over 10k miles I've put on that car so far with mismatched control arms.

alexandre
08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=BMW&model=BE36&section=SUSshk&page=7&bookmark=37&part_number=31-12-2-228-461-M9

Scroll down to the Control Arms section, they seem to have everything in stock - don't know what car you have!

Hermes
08-30-2013, 01:34 PM
36 compact, right?

Edit: what pn do you need? Carl likes to horde random parts and he might have one

Edit2: what about just upgrading to M3 control arms? I've been told they work depending on year

brettbimmer
08-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Wow, thanks for the help gents! Yes, the car is a '97 318ti. PN needed - left/driver's side control arm #31126758513. A quick search over at Pelican did not pull up OEM option, though there are others listed (as I have seen on ECS too). Hmmm...M3 control arms may be an option, and one that I hadn't thought of to solve this stupid problem.

JP, that looks like quite the setup for the E21. Keep us all posted if you do happen to get it.

alexandre
08-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Wow, thanks for the help gents! Yes, the car is a '97 318ti. PN needed - left/driver's side control arm #31126758513. A quick search over at Pelican did not pull up OEM option, though there are others listed (as I have seen on ECS too). Hmmm...M3 control arms may be an option, and one that I hadn't thought of to solve this stupid problem.

JP, that looks like quite the setup for the E21. Keep us all posted if you do happen to get it.

Otherwise get Lemfoerder - they make the BMW part so it's fine if you mix/match those.

brettbimmer
08-30-2013, 05:04 PM
^Good to know Alex - thank you! Yea, I was a bit concerned mixing control arm brands knowing how sensitive our Bimmers are in terms of their suspension components.