PDA

View Full Version : Leather seat backrest corner stitching DYI doityourself

Lanister
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
So right off the bat, when I got my zhp, I noticed the classic leather stitching coming apart on the corner of driver's seat backrest. It is a high traffic area so it's not entirely surprising that this was happening; although I have had older cars with leather seats that did not have this problem :shift. Either way, that's the nature of the beast. Naturally, this didn't sit well with me so I've looked around for ideas and found one on one of the bmw forums, where a member repaired a failed stitching on the bottom cushion of the seat. The repair he did was straight forward, as it was just a straight line sewing job. The backrest stitching is a bit harder to work with because it deals with the corner and it's not as easy to get to. Although my sewing experience is limited to re-attaching buttons to my trousers, I figured I would give it a shot before I start looking for an upholstery shop that would likely charge me an arm and a leg for the job.

To start, I went to a local sewing shop and got some leather upholstery 100% polyester thread. I originally wanted nylon but the lady re-assured me that this was the right stuff. *Quick tip from the lady* When dealing with anything other than black, the recommendation is to always go with darker shade than the color of the seat. She was right.

In addition to the thread, I picked up a set of curved needles. (shown in the pic) Be sure to get a set and not just one, as I managed to break one with my bare hands.

The total in materials was about $8 and the time it took was a couple of hours tops.

To help me with tightening of the loops, I used the simple 90 degree needle tool (shown in the picture). I don't know what it's officially called.

Again, bare in mind that I have nearly zero experience at this so perhaps there are better ways of doing this but this is what I did.

The general idea is to run two separate stitches that start from the outside and meet in the middle (at the corner). Initially, I thought that I could get away with a single stitch but quickly realized that it it would be difficult to tighten upper and lower pieces once I'm at the end of the opening.

The existing holes were a great guide and I recommend using them instead of puncturing new ones. I used the 90 degree needle tool to widen the holes to help with curved needle penetration. The hardest part was to get the first few loops in as you need space, which you don't have and you don't want to make the opening bigger by prying the failed stitch open even more. Once the initial loops were in, the rest was relatively easy. Be sure to take it easy on the needle as they do break. You don't need needle nose pliers for this job. Just feel for the hole opening, which could get some getting used to.

To make the job easier, refrain from tightening the loops right away as you will be taking away the space you need to thread new loops. Once you're done with one side, you can tighten every loop one by one. It feels good to see the stitch come together. I used the 90 degree needle tool to tighten, as it let me get under the thread to pull on it. Although the thread is very strong, I suggest not being overly aggressive with pulling on it, as you would have to re-do everything if it tares.

Before tightening the loops, I tied the existing seat thread to the polyester thread and tucked the knot inside the stitch using the needle tool.

So at this point, one side was done. I left the thread hanging right at the corner and repeated the process on the other half of failed stitch. Once I had both sides tightened, I tied the two ends of the threads right in the center using multiple knots, cut the extra and tucked the knot inside the stitch. That's it!

I hope it's not overly confusing but I am happy to elaborate on whatever there might be a question on.

The pictures show before and after condition. Obviously, it's not the best looking job but it sure beats shelling out a few bills you can spend on maintenance or upgrades.

Avetiso
08-31-2013, 03:08 PM
My seats are suffering the exact same thing at only 70k miles. :(

Lanister
09-16-2013, 10:32 AM
From speaking with the previous owner, the seat stitching was already failed when he bought at 57k miles. The stitching is sensitive indeed but how long it will last really depends on the habits of the driver. It's not always easy to get out the car without some type of support, which often happens to be the area of the failed stitching. I have figured out a way to jump out without leaning on the seat but it took conscious effort and practice.

330i ZHP
09-18-2013, 09:10 PM
hmmm, now that I think of it - I put my elbow right there to help my old bones up and out

I need to go through pics of the old/original seats and see if they were pulling apart (curiosity more than anything)

Lanister
09-18-2013, 09:54 PM
hmmm, now that I think of it - I put my elbow right there to help my old bones up and out

I need to go through pics of the old/original seats and see if they were pulling apart (curiosity more than anything)

It would be interesting to see.

330i ZHP
09-18-2013, 09:59 PM
still looking - haven't found any yet

330i ZHP
09-18-2013, 10:04 PM
75k miles - just before swapping in the 6spd and 3L

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/smoulton0204/Various%202013/2328922_19_zpsd3a4fdb8.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/smoulton0204/Various%202013/2328922_3_zps37631452.jpg

Lanister
09-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, looks like your seat wasn't made in China :)