PDA

View Full Version : Help with Heated Seats Retrofit

Avetiso
09-01-2013, 11:18 PM
So, I just bought an Alcantara interior for my car, because my Dove Gray interior is pretty beat after the fire. However, the Alcantara interior is not heated, while my car is. I want to save this feature if I can, but it's not the end of the world if I can't. I have donor seats with heat and lumbar, and I will be trying to retrofit both into my Alcantara seats, and I hope to get Sean's help here, whenever we can both make time for it.

Anyway, this is the DIY I was using for my info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=341242

Interestingly, the entire DIY is him doing what my car already has done, that is, the wiring part. He paid a shop to fit the elements into his seats, which is where I need more info. Where exactly do these heating pads go? Do they go between the seat leather and the cushion? Do they go behind the cushion? How can I access this part of the seat? No idea.

I would love to get some info from people who have dug into their seats. This DIY will be a little ways out, but I want the info so I can start planning for it and whatnot.

:roundel

330i ZHP
09-02-2013, 12:46 AM
between the leather and the cushion

very carefully take the leather off the seats to expose the heating elements and conversely installing them in the "new" seats

danewilson77
09-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Post #16 any help?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?p=276870

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

NorCalZman
09-02-2013, 07:40 AM
If you decide to not complete the switch I would love to take the heating elements off your hands.

Avetiso
09-02-2013, 07:43 AM
between the leather and the cushion

very carefully take the leather off the seats to expose the heating elements and conversely installing them in the "new" seats
Okay, so it's doable...

Post #16 any help?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?p=276870

Wow, that's perfect. And it's an Alcantara seat to boot. It's a good thing the seats I'll be taking them out of are expendable. If and when I decide to go at this, you might be hearing from me! :thumbsup

Avetiso
09-02-2013, 07:44 AM
If you decide to not complete the switch I would love to take the heating elements off your hands.
I'll let you know if I decide not to do it.

danewilson77
09-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Okay, so it's doable...

Wow, that's perfect. And it's an Alcantara seat to boot. It's a good thing the seats I'll be taking them out of are expendable. If and when I decide to go at this, you might be hearing from me! :thumbsup

Recognize my only help is regarding the back. I did not mess with the tushy area.

I ASSume it's much the same though :)

Avetiso
09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
:rofl

az3579
09-02-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you went the alcantara route. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

JupiterBMW
09-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Just a thought, attempt to disassemble the donor seats correctly as it will give you practice. If you break anything, you know what to look out for and avoid when starting to mess with your alcantara seats.

Nice pickup on the alcantara though, and good luck with the swap.

I have to be genuinely honest here, I've been watching your revival of the OB car pretty closely, and I'm really hoping you get her in top shape. I don't watch too many threads, but fixing the fire damage and getting the car back on the road is pretty awesome, and I'm glad you're doing it! :thumbsup

Avetiso
09-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Just a thought, attempt to disassemble the donor seats correctly as it will give you practice. If you break anything, you know what to look out for and avoid when starting to mess with your alcantara seats.

Nice pickup on the alcantara though, and good luck with the swap.

I have to be genuinely honest here, I've been watching your revival of the OB car pretty closely, and I'm really hoping you get her in top shape. I don't watch too many threads, but fixing the fire damage and getting the car back on the road is pretty awesome, and I'm glad you're doing it! :thumbsup

Thanks, John! It's actually pretty fun to be able to dig into a car (I have two cars to dig into actually, with my parts car) and see how everything is put together.

I was thinking the same thing about the seats. Just hoping that Alcantara and leather are put together the same way.

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.