PDA

View Full Version : Don't drop your spark plugs...

Lanister
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
... but if you do, be sure to inspect it closely before installing. My zhp has hit 90k on original plugs so I sourced out a proper set of NGK's on Amazon. During installation, I managed to drop one on the floor from a few feet up. The plug hit the ground with one of the electrodes so the gap was a bit off. I adjusted it and installed the plug. When I was done, the car started up just fine but as it continued to warm up, the motor would run worse and worse. Then, the check engine light came on. It was the all-too-familiar, "you're missing a cylinder" behavior. I pulled the plug and found a hairline crack along the ceramic body of the plug. :facepalm After replacing the plug, everything went back to normal.:thumbsup So ya, these plugs are more fragile than they look.

ELCID86
09-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Glad it was that simple and you are up and running.

danewilson77
09-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Nice troubleshooting.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

JupiterBMW
09-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Way to go butterfingers! :rofl

I kid, I kid... To be honest, I drop stuff ALL THE TIME, and it drives me insane. But this is a good thread and a great reminder. Plugs are definitely delicate, and ours even more so, being of the multi-prong type as it makes them harder to accurately regap if you do drop them. Excellent find and troubleshooting, and glad to hear the car is up and running.