PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy? (Hotchkis sways)

PirateZHP
09-03-2013, 08:16 AM
I feel that this is a good deal and shouldn't be passed, but I was wondering what the family thought? I know Chirs (Hokie) had these on the ZHP and seemed to really like them. The more important question is what does everyone think about needing to get the new endlinks? Seems like I may be able to get them from hotchkiss cheap/free.

Any thoughts?

http://nceuro.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17773&sid=9ab10277be88348613cb944c6d1af2a1

UdubBadger
09-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Great deal, grab um and just get some adjustable end links from Turner if hotchkis won't replace for free.

derbo
09-03-2013, 10:51 AM
that is cheap!

LivesNearCostco
09-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow, great deal. Wish I'd seen that one before buying my new Hotchkis front sway from BimmerWorld. AFAIK, they don't come with front swaybar links, only rear links. At least my front bar didn't come with links. I used stock end-links for a week without any funny noises, then put on Ground Control adjustable end-links. In my case, using stock end links would only work on softest setting for the front bar; choosing the middle or stiffer setting looked like it would make the bar ends hit something.

M0nk3y
09-03-2013, 11:42 AM
No need for adjustable end links unless yours are seized, or your car is lowered.

Just IMO. Sometimes the hassle isn't worth it

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

PirateZHP
09-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm not lowered. I just want to stiffen it up in the corners. Why do you think the endlinks are making that noise? Could it be car specific?

I have been in talks with him, so I may be coming home with some new sways!

UdubBadger
09-04-2013, 04:58 AM
No need for adjustable end links unless yours are seized, or your car is lowered.

Correct.

My suggestion was based on if you're gonna buy why not set yourself up in case you ever do want to get lowered instead of having to buy new ones again?
Price difference isn't that bad anyways.

Goin' HAM mobile

PirateZHP
09-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Seth,

Good advice. The guy is holding them until Friday when I can get to him and give him the money. I will check everything out. After talking with him, he said that it only makes a slight "popping" sound when going over speed bumps.

On top of that, I have already sent an email to Hotchkis whom I have read will replace them for free becuase they changed the type they were using. We will see if the happens or not. If so, I could have some Hotchkis sways for $200... which makes me happy.

PirateZHP
09-04-2013, 12:22 PM
... And how difficult are sways to install? I don't have a lift, but have access to jack stands. Is that enough?

danewilson77
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
... And how difficult are sways to install? I don't have a lift, but have access to jack stands. Is that enough?

I can say that front is super easy diy.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

HokieZHP
09-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I did them in my driveway. Pretty easy. That popping sound is the end links. I bet one of them is stripped. That's what the issue with mine

UdubBadger
09-04-2013, 02:20 PM
I can say that front is super easy diy.

Fronts sways are.

Never done rears on e46 but with e9x and e8x the subframe had to be dropped so it was super intensive.

Goin' HAM mobile

HokieZHP
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Rear involves undoing some bolts and nuts on the suspension arms but it's still not difficult. Doesn't require touching the subframe at all.

UdubBadger
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Rear involves undoing some bolts and nuts on the suspension arms but it's still not difficult. Doesn't require touching the subframe at all.

Excellent to know

Goin' HAM mobile

HokieZHP
09-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Yup I believe it's 6 bolts total to remove the rear bar.

LivesNearCostco
09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Good point... my car is lowered. I don't think the lowering itself caused the Hotchkis bar to almost hit the control arms... but GC does modify the swaybar brackets on the struts to make room for the coilover sleeves, which allow the lowering, so it's possible that lowered the swaybar ends with the stock links. Not a problem with the stock swaybar.

PirateZHP
09-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I did them in my driveway. Pretty easy. That popping sound is the end links. I bet one of them is stripped. That's what the issue with mine

Chris... do you think it's the endlink, or a bushing? I may be a noob and that may be (basically) saying the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out what I may need. When I get them, I'm going to want to install them.

Also, all of this could have been avoided if you just sold yours with the car!

HokieZHP
09-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Chris... do you think it's the endlink, or a bushing? I may be a noob and that may be (basically) saying the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out what I may need. When I get them, I'm going to want to install them.

Also, all of this could have been avoided if you just sold yours with the car!

Well when the end of my rear end link stripped on my set, I heard a pop when I went over bumps and it flexed the bar. So that may be the issue. If you buy them just take the end links apart and look at the threads. Bushings shouldn't make a popping sound.

PirateZHP
09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Well when the end of my rear end link stripped on my set, I heard a pop when I went over bumps and it flexed the bar. So that may be the issue. If you buy them just take the end links apart and look at the threads. Bushings shouldn't make a popping sound.

And by "look at the threads", what should I be looking for?

HokieZHP
09-04-2013, 06:07 PM
They will be significantly worn down or stripped completely if they are bad

PirateZHP
09-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Sweet. I'm buying the sways... It's just too good of a deal. Even if I have to buy new endlinks, I think it's worth it. Agree, or disagree?

UdubBadger
09-04-2013, 07:09 PM
agree fully

PirateZHP
09-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Going to pick them up today!

PirateZHP
09-06-2013, 08:12 AM
So, I have them... the ball joint on the endlinks look a bit poor, but not horrible. I figured I would go ahead and talk to Hotchkis about it... and they are sending me new ends to the endlinks. Pretty pumped about that. If I can get it done, I will be installing these plus some other goodies this weekend!

PirateZHP
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
^ Dangit... I can't install them this weekend because I won't have the new parts Hotchkis is sending! I am too excited for my own good. Sorry, everyone...

derbo
09-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Good stuff. At least you are getting new links!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

QC_ZHP
09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Nice pickup, I bought Hokie's old sways and love them.

danewilson77
09-06-2013, 02:05 PM
So, I have them... the ball joint on the endlinks look a bit poor, but not horrible. I figured I would go ahead and talk to Hotchkis about it... and they are sending me new ends to the endlinks. Pretty pumped about that. If I can get it done, I will be installing these plus some other goodies this weekend!

New ends to the endlinks?

Que?

PirateZHP
09-06-2013, 05:25 PM
New ends to the endlinks?

Que?

Dane, you'll have to forgive me because I don't know the proper verbiage... on both ends of the endlinks, the ball joint (as I will call it) can be replaced. They are giving me all four ends for free. Hopefully that's more clear...

danewilson77
09-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Dane, you'll have to forgive me because I don't know the proper verbiage... on both ends of the endlinks, the ball joint (as I will call it) can be replaced. They are giving me all four ends for free. Hopefully that's more clear...

Ok.

PirateZHP
09-07-2013, 04:08 AM
Ok.

Maybe it wasn't more clear... I will take pics when I get a chance. I will also probably start a project thread.

danewilson77
09-07-2013, 04:15 AM
Maybe it wasn't more clear... I will take pics when I get a chance. I will also probably start a project thread.

Nope. You described it great. I just have never seen or heard of end links with replaceable ball joints.

Learn something new every day.