PDA

View Full Version : Paint Comparisons

Avetiso
09-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Sorry, there are no pictures yet.

I wanted to use this thread to reflect on a paint, specifically one for plastic. The two paints are Krylon Fusion and a cheap, 96 cent can of flat black from Wal-Mart, which absolutely puts Krylon to shame, IMHO.

I spent roughly an hour sanding my center console to paint it black. I even ordered two cans of Satin Black Fusion from Amazon and waited. I took it slow, light coats, and tried as hard as I could to make it even. The end result was still garbage. The finish turned rough, uneven, and just plain ugly.

I still needed to repaint certain parts of my interior, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought their generic flat black paint. It's multi-use, but not designed for plastics, specifically. I bought 5 cans for the price of one can of Krylon Fusion, but I got 3 times the quality. The paint goes down smooth, with far less effort and attention, dries quickly, and looks great. Seriously.

I've used Wal-Mart's paint before and have had no durability issues, whatsoever. They held up perfectly on the grills from my last ZHP.

I know a lot of us are fans of Krylon Fusion paint, and if it works for you, that's just fine. I would highly recommend, however, that you try some of Wal-Mart's cheap paint before. You may be very pleasantly surprised like I was.

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow of comparisons.