PDA

View Full Version : DIY: BMW Performance SSK Install doityourself

Avetiso
09-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Just finished installing my SSK to replace my destroyed ZHP knob and sloppy shifter. Everyone always told me that you need to go under the car to reinstall the clip, but I did not have to do this. Just apply some flexible tools and some logic and you should be able to do this from the comfort of your front seat.

I really enjoy this mod, and the shifter feels stiff again! :)

Okay, so, you are going to need:

BMW Performance Short Shift Kit: 25110430356

Philips Screw Driver
Minus Screw Driver (I simply used a screwdriver with switchable heads)
You are going to need some sort of flexible gripper. Something that can bend and hold onto stuff (the questionable female clip, in this case).
An extendable magnet, just in case you drop the clip. I used it twice and it saved me from going under the car.
Some grease.
Patience.

Total time ~ 2 hours first time, ~1 hour on further installs.

First, remove your shifter surround, and remove the foam insert that is underneath it. Here is where I deviate: remove your storage compartments and switch panel as well. You are going to need the extra room, and it makes it much easier to gain leverage. These things are pretty self explanatory, so I'll spare you the walkthrough/pictures.

Next, remove the rubber boot at the base of the shifter. This is actually a pesky little thing. Starting at the bottom of the pattern (where 4th gear is located), start pulling the boot forward (towards 3rd gear) and up. I did this by alternating between left and right hands. Pull up as much as you can with your right, then hold it with your right and start pulling with your left, then right, then left, etc. The lip that holds the rubber boot under the metal is about an inch wide, so it'll take you a minute. Once you get the edge of the lip out, just pull on it to get the rest of the boot out, going around the hole in a circle.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101251_zps3d69cf91.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101251_zps3d69cf91.jpg.html)

You should be seeing this, now:
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_102930_zps4640c66e.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_102930_zps4640c66e.jpg.html)

Now to remove the clip: put the car in reverse! This is the easiest way (the only way) to get access to the clip from the top. Using either your flexible grab tool or extendable magnet, try to hold the clip. The reason you are doing this is so that the clip doesn't fall under the car when you remove it. Once you have the magnet next to the clip or you have the clip help by the extendable grip, use a screwdriver to push the clip out. You may have to rotate the clip around until you are able to push it off (in our case, down under the car). It spins freely around the shift rod pin.

Going to look like this: (except your right hand will be pushing the clip off)
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101841_zpsdb82e1c4.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101841_zpsdb82e1c4.jpg.html)

Once you remove the clip, put the car into neutral. You are going to disengage the shifter rod from the shift lever. Take a screw driver and insert it in between the rod and the lever, and force it out. Use the base (where the white collar bushing is) as leverage. You will pull right and the screw driver will push left, and the shifter rod will disengage from the lever. The way they are held together is by a pin; the shift rod has a pin that slides into the base of the lever, and the clip holds that pin from the other side.

This is what it looks like. On the top left you see the guide pin coming from the shifter rod, and the hole on the shift level into which it enters. (I don't know why mine is covered in oil, but it seems I have a leak to find somewhere around my transmission). Hopefully, yours is clean.
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_102138_zpsaba78db9.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_102138_zpsaba78db9.jpg.html)

Okay, now the hard part. You need to remove the lever and collar. This is, quite simply, a pain in the ass. You need to take the collar and rotate is as far as you can counter-clockwise. You will see two pins sticking up, one at 12 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock. Now you need to release all your pent up stress from the week and destroy this collar.

I have no pictures here, but this is how I did it: First, I destroyed the upper part of the clip, where 3rd gear is (this is where that extra room from removing the button panel comes in handy). Then I did this: Turn the collar back to the right (clockwise). At 135 degrees (roughly where first gear is relative to neutral), insert your two-prong clip puller in between the metal and the collar. Then, with the puller still in there, turn the entire thing back counter-clockwise. Your goal here is to have the clip puller be in between the collar and the metal at 180 degrees, towards reverse. The reason you can't really do this outright it because there is no room between the plastic and metal for you to get the puller in there. So we turn it, get the puller in there, then turn it back, so that now, the clip puller is between the collar and plastic on the left side of the shifter (180 degrees of a circle). Then, leverage it up. Pull the collar as high as you can while also pulling the shift lever up (would be better with two people, I did it myself). This should get the collar and shifter out as one piece.

WARNING: this is a PAIN in the ass, and it broke my two prong clip puller: You can see the broken piece from my clip puller stuck to the magnetized screw driver. The piece was one inch from hitting my eye. BE CAREFUL!
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_105130_zps0e59b1b8.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_105130_zps0e59b1b8.jpg.html)

Once you get it out, it'll look like this:
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_110306_zpse4c8b330.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_110306_zpse4c8b330.jpg.html)

Thanks to Justin, it appears there is a much easier to remove the collar and lever:

Looking at the image above you can see there are two tabs at 90 and 270 in relation to the raised nubs. Those are what's retaining the Collar in the Lever Arm. The Lever Arm has two recessed grooves to which they clip into. There is also an access point to get a pointed tool into the shallow end of the tab and slide it around to deeper end to pry it out using minimal force. Once you have one side you rinse and repeat. Then the Lever simply lifts up and out of the Lever Arm with the Collar attached. No broken tools and wasted time.

After taking a spin around the block, this shifter arm really doesn't reduce the throw that much from neutral, but the biggest gain is on the power throws, or even gears. I like this mod and most importantly the majority of my slop is gone. The only remaining shifter mod is to replace the bushings holding the Lever Arm in place. At 140,000 miles they most certainly are shot. But the feel of the car has definitely been improved.

If you are pissed off at this point, go take a break.

You are past the hard part.

Now, take your new collar and shifter (grease just the ball, not the whole shifter :rofl) and grease them. I used regular white grease. Use whatever you want, but some people say to get the thickest grease possible, but I think that's beyond anal.

After you have greased both the shift lever, lock the collar onto the ball of the shifter lever. CAREFUL: do not break the collar by forcing it over the bottom of the shift lever, there are four notches on the bottom (essentially making a square in the circle) of the collar designed to make it slide over the bottom of the shift lever! Match up the notches with the bottom of the shift lever (where the shifter rod pin is inserted) and it will get onto the lever. Now press the collar onto the ball. This will take a firm press, careful not to break the collar. The grease should make it fairly easy, however.

MAKE sure you install the lever in the correct direction! The bend should be facing the back of the car! The tip of the bend should be facing the BACK OF THE CAR! IF you do this backwards, you're going to have some fun.

Firmly press the new collar with shift lever back into the hole you removed it from. The pins should be at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock when you do this.

From the pin on the shifter rod, remove all old washers. They are not needed, as the SSK has built in washers.

Now, use your flexible grabber and lift the shifter rod up and align the pin with the hole in the shift lever. The pin is actually not pointing straight to the right, it's more like a -15 degree angle. Hard to explain, but you'll see it. Once you get the tip of the pin aligned with the hole in the lever, take your clip puller once again and push the pin into the shift lever. You are going to use the metal of your car as a leverage point to do this. Your right hand will have to hold the lever to keep it from moving. You're going to have to do some jiggling and coaxing to get it in there, but it should be pretty easy. Once it slides in, make sure you still give it one more good push to make sure it's seated 100%.

Now the fun part, the clip!

Put the car back into reverse. Notice how the shift feels? :)

This is where most people give up and go under the car, which is, IMO, a shit tonne of work for a single clip.

I have no pictures here because this is nearly impossible to photograph. Using your flexible puller, like the one I have here:
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101841_zpsdb82e1c4.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_101841_zpsdb82e1c4.jpg.html)

You are going to try to seat the clip only slightly onto the pin. I'll try to describe the best I can. You are going to use you flexible grabber to grab hold of this clip at a 135 degree angle relative to the back of the clip. Coming from the bottom of the hole, you are going to slide the clip a little bit onto the pin. Once it's holding there, you will disengage the clip from the grabber, and take your minus screwdriver, and push on the clip with the screwdriver to fully seat it.

Diagram:
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_155636_zps49a4910f.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_155636_zps49a4910f.jpg.html)

You have to do this from the back of the shifter, 270 degrees, because there is little room on the side to fit the clip. The reason I couldn't do it from the side is because my flexible grabber was rigid for the last few inches. If yours is flexible all the way to the end, your life will be much easier and you can do it from the side.

There's only so much I can say about how to seat it, you need to use your own head and logic with the tools you have. But it's possible, and it's not that hard.

TIP: if you drop the clip onto the brace under the driveshaft, use the magnet! EVEN if you dropped the clip onto the right side of the brace, it'll probably end up on the left side of the shifter because of how the brace is slanted. Insert your magnet on the left side and move it back and forth. I dropped mine twice and easily recovered it both times.

Once you seat the clip, you're done! Reassemble the parts.

Grease the inside of the rubber dust boot and insert it back over the shifter. Too tacky to do it without grease or some other lube.

You will probably notice that your shifter vibrates at all times when the car is running, whether driving or at idle. That's normal, and is probably because your transmission/engine mounts are aging and need to be replaced. It's not because of incorrect installation.

Enjoy! :roundel
http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t662/Avetiso/SSK%20DIY/20130913_123304_zps3713d3d8.jpg (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/Avetiso/media/SSK%20DIY/20130913_123304_zps3713d3d8.jpg.html)

REVIEW:

The shifts are much notchier and faster. 95% of slop eliminated. I also love the form of the Performance Knob. Well worth the money.

johnrando
09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Don't got one uh doze but thanks for posting, good info!

Avetiso
09-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Don't got one uh doze but thanks for posting, good info!
Sure thing! I felt kinda bad, almost 2,000 posts on ZHPM and I haven't contributed much. I will be doing more depending on my future projects.

Hornung418
09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes! That's a nice DIY. I will probably lift the passenger side to save the annoyance of the bitch clip.

The new washers are where the slop is eliminated.

GS3 + TT4

Avetiso
09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Yes! That's a nice DIY. I will probably lift the passenger side to save the annoyance of the bitch clip.

The new washers are where the slop is eliminated.

GS3 + TT4
Up to you. There is ample work underneath, as well, the heat shield is in the way. I thought it was easier this way, but let me know how it works out for you!

alexandre
09-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Nice write-up. I changed out every plastic/rubber part in this mechanism, including those that attach the lever to the tranny - this is where you absolutely need to get under the car. A 5-day project last October that was an absolute PITA, but the results were worth it. Your rod being covered in ATF is caused by your input shaft seal, which is an absolute PITA to change for a very minor leak.

Avetiso
09-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Nice write-up. I changed out every plastic/rubber part in this mechanism, including those that attach the lever to the tranny - this is where you absolutely need to get under the car. A 5-day project last October that was an absolute PITA, but the results were worth it. Your rod being covered in ATF is caused by your input shaft seal, which is an absolute PITA to change for a very minor leak.
Thanks. And thanks for the info about the seal. I was confused because the shifter was wet, but the drive shaft was super clean! I like the results of this kit, not sure if I'd go through with the amount of work you did, but I take your word for it being worth it!

By the way, should I be worried about the leak?

alexandre
09-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Nope. It's a very small leak... think power steering style. General consensus on the web seems to be that it's not worth the hassle, and that it's best to do it during a clutch replacement or other job where the tranny is out.

As for the rest of the bushings, your car probably doesn't need them for now - I do have 3x your mileage.

Avetiso
09-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Nope. It's a very small leak... think power steering style. General consensus on the web seems to be that it's not worth the hassle, and that it's best to do it during a clutch replacement or other job where the tranny is out.

As for the rest of the bushings, your car probably doesn't need them for now - I do have 3x your mileage.
Cool. Thanks for the hint, I was worried. Next stop, VANOS!

330i ZHP
09-13-2013, 07:55 PM
installing from the top is def the way to go

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Just tackled this job. The hardest part was putting the Circlip back on. I actually had to reuse the old one because I lost the new one in the process. No worries, it cleaned up nicely.

NOTE: There is an easier way to remove the shift collar!!

I had it out in 5 minutes after examining the new one to figure out how to remove the old one.

Looking at the image above you can see there are two tabs at 90 and 270 in relation to the raised nubs. Those are what's retaining the Collar in the Lever Arm. The Lever Arm has two recessed grooves to which they clip into. There is also an access point to get a pointed tool into the shallow end of the tab and slide it around to deeper end to pry it out using minimal force. Once you have one side you rinse and repeat. Then the Lever simply lifts up and out of the Lever Arm with the Collar attached. No broken tools and wasted time.

After taking a spin around the block, this shifter arm really doesn't reduce the throw that much from neutral, but the biggest gain is on the power throws, or even gears. I like this mod and most importantly the majority of my slop is gone. The only remaining shifter mod is to replace the bushings holding the Lever Arm in place. At 140,000 miles they most certainly are shot. But the feel of the car has definitely been improved.

Thanks for the DIY, Dario. Definitely helped me out. :thumbup

Stigissimo
09-17-2013, 10:56 AM
How much slop did you have before v after?

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 11:00 AM
A lot. More than half an inch to either side when in gear. That's totally unacceptable. On my way home I actually shifted into 3rd gear from 4th at red line. I caught it so no damage was done, but it was brought to my attention how much slop there really was.

Stigissimo
09-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Ahh well good to hear (for me!) because I have an unreasonable amount of slop. Like probably around a half inch to 3/4 of an inch to either side. Was wondering if I could get away with just the SSK or if I'd have to get the SSK with a UUC DSSR (or maybe a complete linkage bushing refresh). What would you rate the slop about now?

Avetiso
09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
A lot. More than half an inch to either side when in gear. That's totally unacceptable. On my way home I actually shifted into 3rd gear from 4th at red line. I caught it so no damage was done, but it was brought to my attention how much slop there really was.

Fourth at red line is over 110mph...

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

Avetiso
09-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Glad it helped you. I'll add your post to the DIY, good find with the collar!

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Shhh...I had my cruise set at 100mph when I was coming through Wyoming.

Awesome. Hopefully that saves Nic some trouble :)

Nic, I would definitely rate the slop as almost zero. But there are two bushes that hold the Shifter mounting point to the trans and the body of the car. They are worn and when refreshed would put the shifter at 100% as new from the factory.

Avetiso
09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Shhh...I had my cruise set at 100mph when I was coming through Wyoming.

Awesome. Hopefully that saves Nic some trouble :)

Nic, I would definitely rate the slop as almost zero. But there are two bushes that hold the Shifter mounting point to the trans and the body of the car. They are worn and when refreshed would put the shifter at 100% as new from the factory.
Added. By the way, did you end up going under the car for the clip?

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Yeah I removed the two forward bolts on the heat shield and then jiggled it around until they both fell out.

When I was attempting the install again it fell off my magnet never to be seen again. So I reused the old clip and called it a day.

Vas
09-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the updated install. Now I just have to decided with which unit to go with.

Avetiso
09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I honestly think OEM BMW is a great unit. Unless you want to go balls-to-the-wall with the UUC EVO3, I can't see most people needing much else.

Stigissimo
09-17-2013, 02:32 PM
I had no intention of doing a UUC unit, instead getting a BMW SSK and then (if slop was still present) getting a DSSR. But I guess that's not necessary - good news for me! Thanks - you guys are a good help. Prolly get an SSK sometime in the near future. xmas isnt too far away!

az3579
09-17-2013, 02:39 PM
I honestly think OEM BMW is a great unit. Unless you want to go balls-to-the-wall with the UUC EVO3, I can't see most people needing much else.

This. I've had numerous people ask me what SSK I had installed and were surprised to find out that it's stock. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
This. I've had numerous people ask me what SSK I had installed and were surprised to find out that it's stock. :)

Stock or BMW Performance?

GS3 + TT4

az3579
09-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Stock or BMW Performance?

GS3 + TT4

... stock... lol

Hornung418
09-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Do the Performance SSK...when funds are present of course. It was $140 for me. Not sure what dealers are offering.

GS3 + TT4

Avetiso
09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Do the Performance SSK...when funds are present of course. It was $140 for me. Not sure what dealers are offering.

GS3 + TT4

I think he's talking about the Performance SSK. He said stock sarcastically.

EDIT: Nevermind. What I meant was, I don't think you should look beyond the Performance SSK unless you want to go all out.

I will argue that it is worth upgrading from the stock shifter.

ELCID86
09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Nice writeup. Part # for Performance SSK. Perks of that Vs. the "stock"?

Avetiso
09-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Slop is gone, throws are shorter, shift mechanism is quieter. Feel is much better.

wsmeyer
09-18-2013, 07:15 PM

I went from stock to BMW Performance to UUC EVO3 & DSSR

I personally did not like the BMW Performance SSK. In neutral the stock lever sits angled slightly towards the back and the BMWP sits almost straight vertical. It's not a lot of difference but I rest my arm on the armrest and the stock was the perfect distance and the BMWP was too far away to ever feel right.

Where it sits in the throw also makes the lever slightly taller in neutral. They must have put some thought into this because the BMWP lever with the BMWP knob sits at exactly the same height as the stock lever with the stock knob. That's all fine but because the BMWP knob is shorter if you mix and match you'll end up with:

BMWP lever + stock(ZHP) knob = taller than stock
stock(ZHP) lever + BMWP knob = shorter than stock

the BMWP knob also weighs less than the stock(ZHP) and there is noticeably more vibration transmitted through it.

Also, if you look closely at the white bushing that holds the lever in place, the tabs that lock it into place each have a beveled corner that allows you to push needle nose pliers into the grooves at 12 and 6 and rotate it clockwise to unlock it and it lifts right up.

Avetiso
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I went from stock to BMW Performance to UUC EVO3 & DSSR

I personally did not like the BMW Performance SSK. In neutral the stock lever sits angled slightly towards the back and the BMWP sits almost straight vertical. It's not a lot of difference but I rest my arm on the armrest and the stock was the perfect distance and the BMWP was too far away to ever feel right.

Where it sits in the throw also makes the lever slightly taller in neutral. They must have put some thought into this because the BMWP lever with the BMWP knob sits at exactly the same height as the stock lever with the stock knob. That's all fine but because the BMWP knob is shorter if you mix and match you'll end up with:

BMWP lever + stock(ZHP) knob = taller than stock
stock(ZHP) lever + BMWP knob = shorter than stock

the BMWP knob also weighs less than the stock(ZHP) and there is noticeably more vibration transmitted through it.

Also, if you look closely at the white bushing that holds the lever in place, the tabs that lock it into place each have a beveled corner that allows you to push needle nose pliers into the grooves at 12 and 6 and rotate it clockwise to unlock it and it lifts right up.
I had both knobs in my hands I felt convinced the Performance knob was heavier... Maybe I'm wrong? :dunno

Vibrations and how the knob sits in neutral are both true. I won't be using the armrest, so I don't really know if it'll bother me, but they seem like trivial things...

How do you like the UUC kit?

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 12:04 PM
You're right. The BMW Performance is slightly heavier:

I swear it vibrates and feels "notchier" though. Could be my imagination or some sort of dampening material in the ZHP knob.

The UUC is definitely the best of the three in design, construction and function. I think to justify the price you have to plan on keeping the car a long time. It will undoubtedly last forever vs the ~60k or so you'll get out of the stock.

Avetiso
02-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Bump. I installed a clutch stop and reverted to the ZHP knob. It is taller, but I am liking it more and more. Need to delete my CDV now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Stigissimo
02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm tots for goats satisfied with mine. I did the CDV a while back. It makes a very subtle difference, mostly when doing quick shifts

Vas
04-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Thread revival. I just bought a kit that I will be installing on the wife's car. The current set-up has shifter slop from side to side.

However is getting a shifter rebuild kit from ecs tuning a good idea?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Shifter/Rebuild_Kit/ES2594076/