PDA

View Full Version : LKM recoding

derbo
09-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Hey guys,

Found a nice LKM that happens to be a SW 3.6. Is it possible to recode the LKM to be a LCM? Couldn't really find any information on this. I know you can reset the VIN and mileage to remove the tamper dot with PASoft but I couldn't find any solid information on if it is possible to recode it to a LCM (US)

Any help would be appreciated from the family. :)

Avetiso
09-24-2013, 11:47 AM
LKM = LCM, no? I'm confused now.

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 11:51 AM
LKM = LCM, no? I'm confused now.

That was my impression too. I know what you can't do is upgrade the firmware on it to 4+ and get the tripe blink.

derbo
09-24-2013, 12:10 PM
If we are getting technical...

LKM = UK version LCM = US version

But I am looking to get a UK SW 3.6 and convert it to a US SW3.6 if possible.

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty certain they are the same thing. In NCSExpert it's just referred to as "LSW" and in BMW wiring diagrams "A3".

I'm pretty sure it's just that we call it LCM - Light Control Module

which in German would be LKM - Licht Kontrolle Modul

az3579
09-24-2013, 01:58 PM
If we are getting technical...

LKM = UK version LCM = US version

LCM = LKM and vice versa, end of story. It's just a translation of what the Germans call it vs what we call it here.
Make sure the LCM you buy is from a car with Xenon (autoleveling).

To answer your original question, you can recode a LCM from euro spec to US spec and vice versa. You have to do a few things, but I don't know how. Terra once told me what to do but didn't tell me how to do it so I'm not sure about the procedure.

derbo
09-24-2013, 01:59 PM
They are. It's the software that is different and minor differences ie. rear fog light button and manual height control for non-xenons.

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
They are. It's the software that is different and minor differences ie. rear fog light button and manual height control for non-xenons.

Both of those are found in US LCM's but the settings are set to nicht-aktiv

derbo
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
LCM = LKM and vice versa, end of story. It's just a translation of what the Germans call it vs what we call it here.
Make sure the LCM you buy is from a car with Xenon (autoleveling).

BP,

Does it matter if it is coupe with LED tails as their coding for hot checks are different? Is it actually possible to recode a euro module to an us module?

derbo
09-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Both of those are found in US LCM's but the settings are set to nicht-aktiv

So you are suggesting to manual fix the Euro one after resetting it with PA Soft? That makes sense.

az3579
09-24-2013, 02:12 PM
BP,

Does it matter if it is coupe with LED tails as their coding for hot checks are different? Is it actually possible to recode a euro module to an us module?

The only modules that have triple blink functionality are late 2005-2006 coupes/verts, all of which had LED tails. So, that doesn't matter. :)

derbo
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
The only modules that have triple blink functionality are late 2005-2006 coupes/verts, all of which had LED tails. So, that doesn't matter. :)

I didn't think about this. Nice. :) Ill see if I can purchase this LCM/LKM.

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Are you just trying to get rear fog lights?

Jon (JupiterBMW) retrofitted the function by transplanting the Euro faceplate and buttons onto his existing LCM and then just turning the feature on (aktiv) with NCSExpert. That eliminates the need for the PA Soft steps.

derbo
09-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Are you just trying to get rear fog lights?

Jon (JupiterBMW) retrofitted the function by transplanting the Euro faceplate and buttons onto his existing LCM and then just turning the feature on (aktiv) with NCSExpert. That eliminates the need for the PA Soft steps.

I'm trying to get rear foglights initially. But since I found a euro switch with sw 3.6, I was looking into triple blink as option as well. The cost of the SW3.6 is a little higher and I was wondering if it was possible to use the Euro module. The options were really either be able to use the Euro with NCSexpert to disable the euro stuff, or reprogram it to US software (if possible.)

wsmeyer
09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm trying to get rear foglights initially. But since I found a euro switch with sw 3.6, I was looking into triple blink as option as well. The cost of the SW3.6 is a little higher and I was wondering if it was possible to use the Euro module. The options were really either be able to use the Euro with NCSexpert to disable the euro stuff, or reprogram it to US software (if possible.)

This is exactly what Jupiter wanted. He never found the perfect Euro unit and ended up buying two, a software 4.0 unit from the states and a euro one with rear fogs from the UK, then transplanting the faceplate.

I'm not sure if he ever determined if there are SW 4.0 units in Europe. In the US they can only be found on MODEL YEAR 2006 cars, not certain what build dates that corresponds too.

I've been checking eBay UK and DE periodically for one with a faceplate that has auto headlights, the ambient light sensor, and rear fogs but haven't found one yet for a reasonable price.

JupiterBMW
09-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately Derek, SW 3.6 won't get you the triple blink functionality, you need SW 4.0 or higher. So, get the cheapest LKM with the correct faceplate for what you need (basically whatever you have now with the addition of the rear fog button) and then just swap the faceplate. There is a small ribbon cable that connects the faceplate to the main board of the LCM/LKM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro!

JupiterBMW
09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Also, FWIW, that ambient light LED on the front doesn't seem to do anything. There was one code line I saw in NCS and I activated it, but got no results. Also, as BP mentioned, there is a line for changing the LCM from US/ECE USs or Europe version) but again I got no results.

Like William said, get the correct faceplate, put it on your current LCM. Then it's an easy code for rear fog. If you find an LCM with SW 4.0 or higher later, you can set that up for your VIN and then code triple blink from there.

JupiterBMW
09-24-2013, 03:24 PM
The unfortunate part of doing it the way I did was that I'm about $300 just in my LCM. :facepalm

I have contact with a UK recycler but they have no LKMs with SW 4.0 or higher. I will email again though and ask.

az3579
09-24-2013, 04:23 PM
It's not as simple as changing a single line to make it US. You have to change some other things as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

JupiterBMW
09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
It's not as simple as changing a single line to make it US. You have to change some other things as well.

Can you elaborate? I found the one line that stated to specify the module as US or ECE... I didn't see exactly what, if anything, changed though. But, perhaps this could help me set the correct rear light as the fog...

az3579
09-24-2013, 04:52 PM
I wasn't sure if it was the vehicle order itself but it was something to do with the EV53 part of my VIN being changed to whatever the euro version of it is, and vice versa. I don't remember what it's called; I don't think it's Vehicle Order. I'll have to find it somewhere...

Changing this setting is what I was looking into when I retrofitted my city lights. I wanted bulb out warnings for them, and I had to convert it to a euro version in order to do that. Then I scrapped that idea and went with the angel eye harness instead.

derbo
09-25-2013, 07:29 AM
I thought 3.6+ was able to get triple blink. If it isn't, then screw it. Cheapest faceplate with auto headlight switch and no leveler.

Thanks mafia for the help! :))

wsmeyer
09-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Also, FWIW, that ambient light LED on the front doesn't seem to do anything.

It controls the brightness of the LED's during daylight. With your car outside during the day, put your finger over it and over the course of about 7 seconds it will dim the LED's. Release and you'll see them brighten back up.

JupiterBMW
09-25-2013, 08:05 AM
It controls the brightness of the LED's during daylight. With your car outside during the day, put your finger over it and over the course of about 7 seconds it will dim the LED's. Release and you'll see them brighten back up.

Hmmm, ok. You're talking about the LEDs for the console illumination? Or the indicator LEDs like on the climate control buttons and whatnot? I will look into it again, but thanks for the info.

wsmeyer
09-25-2013, 08:17 AM
No the main display; odometer, trip odometer, clock etc...

JupiterBMW
09-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks! :thumbsup

wsmeyer
09-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Ah, gotcha. Thanks! :thumbsup

No problem. I assume then it works on your car? Did your original LCM have the sensor?

JupiterBMW
09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah, they all do afaik.

derbo
09-25-2013, 02:17 PM
I dont know why I thougth 3.6 was able to do triple blink.. lol

Anyways, just looking to buy a plain jane regular Euro faceplate for now. Thanks guy :)

JupiterBMW
09-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Good luck, I looked today on ebay, didn't find much..

derbo
09-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Good luck, I looked today on ebay, didn't find much..

I found a good amount! When I type in e46 (light switch) in eBay.co.uk

Sent by Mobile

Lanister
10-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Do you guys know how to tell the LKM version without taking it out? Using software, that is. I got DIS, SSS, INPA and NcsExpert working today and it would be good to see if it's worth while going for the triple blink option. I tried taking the LKM out but the trim piece covering the screws is on so tight that I hesitate to start using a flat head to take it off. I thought I'd ask if there's an easier way.

Thanks in advance boys...

JupiterBMW
10-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Well you could always just open up NCS expert and see if you have the option for the correct line of code. But better yet, if your car is not a 2006 model, is say it's safe to say that you do not have it. Save yourself the trouble!

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

az3579
10-09-2013, 03:39 AM
What is the production date on your car? I believe 9/2005 was the cutoff; before didn't have it and after did.

JupiterBMW
10-09-2013, 03:45 AM
What is the production date on your car? I believe 9/2005 was the cutoff; before didn't have it and after did.

Looking into his project thread, 11/2004.... Sorry Giya, no dice for you!

cakM3
10-09-2013, 04:56 AM
I thought 3.6+ was able to get triple blink. If it isn't, then screw it. Cheapest faceplate with auto headlight switch and no leveler.

Thanks mafia for the help! :))

Guys... the topic of one touch-triple blink and what LCM/LKMs support this feature has already been discussed in this forum...I even put the information about this in my ZHP project thread (see post #457/470/474)...

For this feature to work you have to have s/w 4.0 at a minimum. For E46 models in general, only LCM/LKMs with s/w 4.0 or 4.5 will support one touch-triple blink. Typically, late 2005 E46 got the LCM with s/w 4.0 and 2006 models got s/w 4.5. Hope this clears up any confusion...

Hornung418
10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
In addition to colored text, I also enjoy comic sans typefont.

GS3 + TT4 now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

JupiterBMW
10-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Don't forget emoticons. :thumbsup :biggrin :rofl

:starbucks

ryankokesh
10-09-2013, 06:42 PM

I know your type...

see what I did there??

johnrando
10-10-2013, 06:45 AM
#iseewhatyoudidthere

derbo
10-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I somehow forgot its not 3.6 since I've seen mostly 3.01

cakM3
10-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Don't forget emoticons. :thumbsup :biggrin :rofl

:starbucks

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-l_zpsd187a934.png

I am who I am........ :p

az3579
10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
We love you just the way you are, Charrie. :)

terraphantm
10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
This is exactly what Jupiter wanted. He never found the perfect Euro unit and ended up buying two, a software 4.0 unit from the states and a euro one with rear fogs from the UK, then transplanting the faceplate.

I'm not sure if he ever determined if there are SW 4.0 units in Europe. In the US they can only be found on MODEL YEAR 2006 cars, not certain what build dates that corresponds too.

I've been checking eBay UK and DE periodically for one with a faceplate that has auto headlights, the ambient light sensor, and rear fogs but haven't found one yet for a reasonable price.

The 4.0s do exit in Europe, I did have one (but it was from a halogen car). September 2005 and newer should all have 4.0s (so that really only leaves 06 coupes and verts). And if you want the autoleveling to work on a prefacelift coupe or any sedan, it has to be from an M3 (the facelift coupes do the autolevling differently). 4.5s were only available after the end of the E46 production run. I don't believe the 4.5 supports any features that aren't present on the 4.0. Another option would be to grab the LCM from an 06 or newer Z4, and transplant the circuit board to the E46. However, it is possible that it's missing circuitry for some lights.

Electrically they're more or less identical between US and Europe. The main difference is that the European halogen ones do have the stepper motor controller installed which allows the leveling motors to work (but the halogen ones do not have the required circuitry to read the data from the leveling sensors, so they're still no good for autoleveling).

US can be coded to Euro and vice versa. If you're not trying to do anything fancy, the easiest way would be to read the FA from your KMB, do the FA_WRITE job on the ALSZ, and then do SG_CODIEREN with a blank FSW_PSW.

Re Rear fogs: For coupes, no coding is necessary. For sedans, there are a few ways to do it.

Easiest is to change the VO (*EV53 -> *EV51) and recode the LSZ module. At that point you can disable the bulb checks for the city lights (KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_L/R; WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_L/R; CC_STANDLICHT_LINKS/RECHTS). If you want to enable the passenger side rear fog, I think you'd need to enable STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS

derbo
10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Terra,

Thanks for the information. Have you every tried just added the NSL options to the US coded LSZ to get the rear fogs to work?

terraphantm
10-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Terra,

Thanks for the information. Have you every tried just added the NSL options to the US coded LSZ to get the rear fogs to work?

Yeah it is possible to do that... I just don't remember the exact combination of options to add

derbo
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks Terra! Are there any other differences in coding for the Euro LSZ vs the US one besides the city lights?

Does anyone have a Euro LSZ dump I can get? I like to compare to a US LSZ and see what I can do figure out. :)

cakM3
10-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks Terra! Are there any other differences in coding for the Euro LSZ vs the US one besides the city lights?

Does anyone have a Euro LSZ dump I can get? I like to compare to a US LSZ and see what I can do figure out. :)

Dane has the Euro LSZ Derek. I gave it to him during this year's reunion meet. Or should we say....."we" installed it into his ZHP...:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

derbo
10-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Dane has the Euro LSZ Derek. I gave it to him during this year's reunion meet. Or should we say....."we" installed it into his ZHP...:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Dane,

If you are reading this, would you mind dumping out a .TRC of your ALSZ and what options you modified.

Sent from a Moto X

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 04:04 PM
Dane,

If you are reading this, would you mind dumping out a .TRC of your ALSZ and what options you modified.

Sent from a Moto X

Derek-

I have a spare Euro LKM. If you want it, Paypal me a small, yet reasonable, fee and its yours...

derbo
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Derek-

I have a spare Euro LKM. If you want it, Paypal me a small, yet reasonable, fee and its yours...

Does it come with an auto faceplate? :)

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Does it come with an auto faceplate? :)

Auto yes, but it's not a euro faceplate, hence no rear fog.

derbo
10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Auto yes, but it's not a euro faceplate, hence no rear fog.

Hmm, I think I'll pass. That means I have no real way of confirm it works without the proper faceplate. I would be coding in the dark..

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Hmm, I think I'll pass. That means I have no real way of confirm it works without the proper faceplate. I would be coding in the dark..

I am searching for them. My source has gone quiet....

derbo
10-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I am searching for them. My source has gone quiet....

NOOOOOO. :(

I did find some on Ebay. I rather get it through you if it means everyone gets a lower price. :)

JupiterBMW
10-21-2013, 04:22 PM
NOOOOOO. :(

I did find some on Ebay. I rather get it through you if it means everyone gets a lower price. :)

Gimme one more shot.

PirateZHP
10-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Gimme one more shot.

Joop... this is for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

derbo
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Gimme one more shot.

No worries Jon. I am looking to buy a Macbook 15" Retina soon so car mod budget will change.

derbo
10-21-2013, 09:06 PM
CC_STANDLICHT_RECHTS nicht_aktiv aktiv City Light Cold Check Right
CC_STANDLICHT_LINKS nicht_aktiv aktiv City Light Cold Check Light
CC_NSL_LINKS nicht_aktiv aktiv Cold Check Left fog light
CC_NSL_RECHTS nicht_aktiv aktiv Cold Check Right fog light
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS nicht_aktiv aktiv Parking Lights as fog lights right
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS nicht_aktiv aktiv Parking Lights as fog lights left
NSL_ALS_STANDLICHT nicht_aktiv aktiv Fog-lights as parking lights
NSL_ERSETZT_DEFEKT_BL nicht_aktiv aktiv???????? Replaced Defective
PIN_20_ALS_NSL nicht_aktiv aktiv Pin 20 as Foglights
PIN29_30_BL_NSL nicht_aktiv aktiv Pin 30 as foglight???

I gather the NSL options that seem relevant in that PSW list. The first two are the city light checks for Euro Coding.

http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/FSW_PSW.pdf

My immediate guess is to set aktiv:

5, 6, 7, 10.

Anyone with euro fogs like to give it a try? :)

terraphantm
10-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Dane,

Sent from a Moto X

Really don't need to dump someone else's. Backup your existing parameters, change your VO to EV51, recode, dump, then compare. You can flash back the old TRC and nothing will be lost. Comparing this way is actually better because it allows you to control against options that other cars may or may not have.

az3579
10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
...change your VO to EV51, recode, ...

I've always been lost on this part because I couldn't find anything explaining on what to choose to accomplish this... could you please elaborate?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

danewilson77
10-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Dane,

Sent from a Moto X

Que?

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

terraphantm
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I've always been lost on this part because I couldn't find anything explaining on what to choose to accomplish this... could you please elaborate?

http://i.imgur.com/fG32Ssj.png

Click Enter FA, click "OK" for the chassis and VIN, and then get to that screen. Look for "*EV53" and hit delete. Then type in "*EV51" click "Add" and then hit OK.

Now you have a couple choices. If you just want to recode the module with Euro settings, but still want the car to identify itself as a US model, just do "SG_CODIEREN" to the desired module and that's that. If you want to store the Euro VO/FA in the car's modules, then do then change the job type to "FA_WRITE" and do that on both the AKMB and ALSZ

terraphantm
10-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Actually you can. You can use INPA to activate the "rear fog lamp switch" and that will essentially send the same command to the LSZ as pressing the button. This is how I tested on my own ZHP before I bought a euro switch.

Also, if you're willing to spend ~$120, you can get a new faceplate from BMW

derbo
10-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Actually you can. You can use INPA to activate the "rear fog lamp switch" and that will essentially send the same command to the LSZ as pressing the button. This is how I tested on my own ZHP before I bought a euro switch.

Also, if you're willing to spend ~$120, you can get a new faceplate from BMW

HMM okay, I will have to try this. Thanks Terra. :) I haven't used INPA in awhile, I will have to try.

61316911646 is the part number for the automatics..and it looks to be $270 or so for one O_O/

terraphantm
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
HMM okay, I will have to try this. Thanks Terra. :) I haven't used INPA in awhile, I will have to try.

61316911646 is the part number for the automatics..and it looks to be $270 or so for one O_O/

Oh yeah, I forgot that they charged a lot more for the Auto versions (I don't know why, they definitely don't cost any more to make). Guess I'm lucky I got mine for $60 and was able to sell the LCM for more

derbo
10-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Need to find a score like yours. LOL.

Sent from a Moto X

derbo
10-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Looking at some data on the pinouts,

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2013/zrcv.png

I'm lead to believe pin29+30 is what needs to be set to have the inner taillights acting as foglights.

JupiterBMW
10-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Looking at some data on the pinouts,

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2013/zrcv.png

I'm lead to believe pin29+30 is what needs to be set to have the inner taillights acting as foglights.

I like this... I had to set pin 29 to act as rear foglight... The issue, I don't remember seeing something about pin 30.. I'll look again.... On Sunday when I get home from a wedding... Flying out at 6am. UGH.

derbo
10-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Sounds good Joop

CC_STANDLICHT_RECHTS nicht_aktiv aktiv City Light Cold Check Right
CC_STANDLICHT_LINKS nicht_aktiv aktiv City Light Cold Check Light

I gather the NSL options that seem relevant in that PSW list. The first two are the city light checks for Euro Coding.

http://www.lindvigs.com/obioban/FSW_PSW.pdf

My immediate guess is to set aktiv:

5, 6, 7, 10.

Anyone with euro fogs like to give it a try? :)

I'm leaning towards 5, 6, 7, 10 to be the ones to activate the rears inner trunk foglights. :)

terraphantm
10-23-2013, 08:18 PM
I think 5, 6, 7, 10 is correct. 5 and 6 would control whether it's the left, right, or both that would come on.

^ that means the rear fog lights replace the brake lights if the brake lights aren't working. There's a similar setting for turn signal somewhere

derbo
10-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Looks promising! Thanks Terra for your input. :)

derbo
10-26-2013, 11:14 AM
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1195/p0qw.png

(don't mind the error codes, thats from my gf's mom 325xi I was diagnosing. I just stumbled on the rear fog option when checking it.)

I activated 5, 6, 7, 10

and tried to use GT1 to activate the rear fog and no available. If the lights are all off, and I do it, the inner outer tailight bulb goes on. I may have to use INPA to play around with it but I have lack of time today besides the hour I decided to mess with it.

Lanister
10-26-2013, 11:54 AM
hax0r

derbo
10-27-2013, 10:17 AM
hax0r

No Hax0r. I ordered a faceplate on ebay and waiting for it to arrive to further debunk the rear fog light settings required to get this to work :)

terraphantm
10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
No Hax0r. I ordered a faceplate on ebay and waiting for it to arrive to further debunk the rear fog light settings required to get this to work :)
In the mean time, you can test with INPA as I mentioned earlier. You'd have to go "Light Switching Center", hit "activate", select "rear fog lamp switch" and then hit activate. You should see the rear fog light turn on in your cluster. If the coding is correct, the actual rear fogs should be activated too.

derbo
10-28-2013, 10:17 PM
In the mean time, you can test with INPA as I mentioned earlier. You'd have to go "Light Switching Center", hit "activate", select "rear fog lamp switch" and then hit activate. You should see the rear fog light turn on in your cluster. If the coding is correct, the actual rear fogs should be activated too.

My INPA isn't functioning properly after I transferred over to the Macbook Retina. Once I solve that I will try again. Thanks Terra.

az3579
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
My INPA isn't functioning properly after I transferred over to the Macbook Retina. Once I solve that I will try again. Thanks Terra.

You must be running a 32-bit OS for INPA to work. Make sure the guest is 32-bit if running as a VM. If you're running it through Boot Camp, you're screwed; the latest revisions of OS X don't support 32-bit Boot Camp OSes.

derbo
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
BP,

I'm running it in Parallels. I'll have to debug it later tonight if I have some time. NCSexpert works, so does GT1.

I gave it a shot an hour ago, to see if INPA is working and low and behold its working. I activated the rear fog and with these settings activated:

Unfortunately when i activated the rear fogs, without PIN20 being activated, nothing was happening. Once Pin20 activated, it acted like how Jon had it originally.

The inner bulb of the outer tail light on the driver side was activated as the rear fog on the higher voltage setting.

Seems like there maybe more settings to activate to get it to work.

terraphantm
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Try this:
PIN37_49_PARKL -> aktiv
PIN38_20_PARK -> nicht_aktiv
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS -> aktiv
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS -> aktive

Leave everything else as default US

derbo
10-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I'll give it a shot later tonight. :) thanks terra

sent from a Moto X

derbo
10-29-2013, 09:17 PM
I coded my LSZ to EV51 like terra said, and it BOOM! Low and behold the inner tails were used as foglights..

I used NCSexpert to pull the TRC and compare it to the TRC from my USDM one (with some modified settings)

It's listed here as the differences. I did not fully look into the differences yet and figure out which one is the reason the rears do not turn on like how we like it to be. But its a start! It would be faster once I get my euro fog plate so I can press a button. Only either NCSexpert can be on or INPA be on, not together and it definitely takes a little time to reopen each application over and over.

http://diffchecker.com/zn7lrpav

Left is Euro, Right is my current settings on the USDM one.

My Current settings on the right include:

BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Crash warning blinker impulse speed.
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Hazard lights impulse speed.
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog lights turn off when high beams are on.
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01 / wert_02 wert_01=bixenon and halogen together.
BFD_SW1_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?
BFD_SW2_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW1_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW2_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
BFD_ABS_STUFE3 - aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
BLST1_BLST3 - aktiv Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well

derbo
10-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Looks like I got it to successfully work on my car with INPA foglight switch on.

Change these settings in the ALSZ. It was missing one option to get it to work on the rear. AUSGANG is german for output, but and I am assuming the wert01 02 are voltage changes.

PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG change from wert 01 to wert 02.
wert02
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS Rear foglight left
aktiv
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS Rear foglight right
aktiv

This should make the inner trunk tail light act as normal when the rear fog is not pressed. I tested with INPA, E46, Lighting switch centre, F8, select foglamp button foglight button, F2 to start. My cluster showed both the front and rear foglight on and I went to check the rear and sure as hell, it works!

Joop,

Hope you can dig through this and try it out with your switch! :)

terraphantm
10-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Whoops, now I remember that one. Kept missing it because I was searching for "NSL" and "PIN" differences lol.

Yeah I'm not sure exactly what that parameter changes, but obviously it's something important for the rear fogs. Presumably has something to do with the PWM duty cycles, but the "data" for each parameter doesn't really help (0x20 and 0x21 respectively)

derbo
10-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Terra,
Thanks for the help! It definitely pointed me to the right direction.

The differences in the Euro ALSZ so far are these:

SL_VO_ANSTEUERUNG -> aktiv Front parking light plug
PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_VO_RE -> wert_01 front parking light right plug
PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_VO_LI -> wert_01 front parking light left plug
BEGRENZUNGSLICHT_IN_PARK -> aktiv sidemarkers in park position?
LAENDERVARIANTE_LSZ -> wert_01 Country version for LSZ?
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI -> aktiv Cold Monitoring left parking light
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE -> aktiv Cold Monitoring right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE -> aktiv Warm Monitor right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI -> aktiv Warm Monitor left parking light
CC_STANDLICHT_RECHTS -> aktiv check city lights
CC_STANDLICHT_LINKS -> aktiv check city lights
SIDEMARKER_US -> nicht_aktiv US parking light corners
GEDIMMT_BLK_BEGRENZ_LICHT -> nicht_aktiv dim turn signals as side marker
DRL_DIMMUNG -> wert_01 DRL dimming
AH_US_OPTION -> nicht_aktiv
PWM_WERT2_BLK_ZUSATZFKT -> wert_01 dim signal something
BLK_DIMMEN -> aktiv dim turn signals
PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG -> wert_02 Parking light output???
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS -> aktiv Left Rear Fog activate
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS -> aktiv Right Rear Fog activate
FO_ME_HOME_SL2 -> aktiv ???
PIN37_49_PARKL -> aktiv ??
PIN38_20_PARK -> nicht_aktiv ??
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL3_H -> nicht_aktiv follow me home something lights??
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL_V -> aktiv follow me home rear parking lights
BEI_NSL_KEIN_BFD -> aktiv Brake Force Display, rear fog?

These are my guesses on the descriptions..Any insight on this Terra?

Now to figure out what the rest of the differences do.

terraphantm
10-30-2013, 11:43 AM
You're right about most of those
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL3_H = "Standlicht (parking light) 3 rear enabled with pathway lighting" I'm not sure which pair of lights is considered "parking light 3"
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL_V = "Standlicht front (city lights) enabled with pathway lighting"
BEI_NSL_KEIN_BFD = When rear foglights are on, disable brake force display (adaptive brakes)
PIN37_49_PARKL and PIN38_20PARK probably designate which set of pins are considered parking lights. Not sure why these are different for US and Euro since the tails seem to work the same.

I'm not sure what LAENDERVARIANTE_LSZ affects. It's obviously refers to US and Euro, but it seems possible to enable all Euro features when set to US and vice versa.

derbo
10-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Joop and I were talking that it maybe 3rd brake light. Doesn't make sense to have that as a pathway lighting but its a possibility.

My gut feeling those PIN options are from legacy options from pre-facelift LSZ and does not affect facelift sedans.

That last option doesn't give much either and I don't understand either.. :shrug

terraphantm
10-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Joop and I were talking that it maybe 3rd brake light. Doesn't make sense to have that as a pathway lighting but its a possibility.

My gut feeling those PIN options are from legacy options from pre-facelift LSZ and does not affect facelift sedans.

That last option doesn't give much either and I don't understand either.. :shrug

Possibly, but I don't think so. On a facelift sedan, there are 3 pairs of bulbs that turn on as parkinglights; two in the main taillight, and one in the trunk light. I suspect SL3 referes to one of those 3 pairs (trunklights maybe?)

I don't know. Most of the other PIN settings do have an effect. Maybe it has to do with the parallel parking feature? Maybe a different set of lights turn on when the car is off with the turn signal pressed one way or another. Would make sense since for everything else that we would call a "parking light", BMW calls a "standing light"

I really don't know about that last option. Maybe there are some trivial differences, like how quickly the turn signals blink, that get changed with that parameter

derbo
10-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Possibly, but I don't think so. On a facelift sedan, there are 3 pairs of bulbs that turn on as parkinglights; two in the main taillight, and one in the trunk light. I suspect SL3 referes to one of those 3 pairs (trunklights maybe?)

I don't know. Most of the other PIN settings do have an effect. Maybe it has to do with the parallel parking feature? Maybe a different set of lights turn on when the car is off with the turn signal pressed one way or another. Would make sense since for everything else that we would call a "parking light", BMW calls a "standing light"

I really don't know about that last option. Maybe there are some trivial differences, like how quickly the turn signals blink, that get changed with that parameter

Seems like there is only one way to find out. Code it and test the pathway lighting... lol.

The interesting part is that is the option shows PARK when most parking light options have SL or standlicht.

Oh well about the last one.

Question:

Is there a way to get the US corners when the lowbeams arent on, (Position 1) but when the lowbeams activated, the turn signals turn off?

I saw this as a possibility but not exactly what I was looking for.

DRL_BLK_VORN_GEDIMMT
Dimmed front blinkers as daytime running lights.
aktiv / nicht_aktiv
DRL_BLK_VORNE_2_GEDIMMT
aktiv / nicht_aktiv

Though I'm not sure VORNE_2 vs VORN

terraphantm
10-30-2013, 10:53 PM
Seems like there is only one way to find out. Code it and test the pathway lighting... lol.

The interesting part is that is the option shows PARK when most parking light options have SL or standlicht.

Oh well about the last one.

Question:

Is there a way to get the US corners when the lowbeams arent on, (Position 1) but when the lowbeams activated, the turn signals turn off?

I saw this as a possibility but not exactly what I was looking for.

DRL_BLK_VORN_GEDIMMT
aktiv / nicht_aktiv
DRL_BLK_VORNE_2_GEDIMMT
aktiv / nicht_aktiv

Though I'm not sure VORNE_2 vs VORN

There is a way. I think the way I did it was that I enabled the city lights and their error checks, and then disabled CC_STANDLICHT (so the LCM will check for the errors, but they won't show on the cluster).

After a few seconds in position 1, the parking lights should turn on, and then turn back off when the headlights are on. This is basically the failsafe mode for when the city lights are dead

DRL_BLK_VORNE_2 doesn't apply to our cars. The Z4s share LSZs with us, and they have more than one turn signal bulb

derbo
10-31-2013, 08:05 AM
There is a way. I think the way I did it was that I enabled the city lights and their error checks, and then disabled CC_STANDLICHT (so the LCM will check for the errors, but they won't show on the cluster).

After a few seconds in position 1, the parking lights should turn on, and then turn back off when the headlights are on. This is basically the failsafe mode for when the city lights are dead

DRL_BLK_VORNE_2 doesn't apply to our cars. The Z4s share LSZs with us, and they have more than one turn signal bulb

Seems like there should another option to activate failsafe since there are options like (use this plug if brake light is defective), but thats just a hunch on my side.

PWM_WERT2_BLK_ZUSATZFKT -> wert_01 dim signal something?

I'm judging by the differences in the ECE, these options seem to be the ones that possible to edit to make it work.

Naturally: 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 must be changed.

Terra do you know what 5-7 , 9-13 does specifically or what they actually activate?

I understand 8, 9, 10 go hand in hand but I am not aware what 5-7, 11-13 do.

terraphantm
10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Since this is something that I can actually test on the M3, I will experiment and get back to you.

derbo
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks terra,

Silly options keeps me entertained :)

Another topic, does the BFD stage 3 only activate at low speeds or does it blink during abs activation at higher speeds too?

NorCalZman
10-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Another topic, does the BFD stage 3 only activate at low speeds or does it blink during abs activation at higher speeds too?

IF Jon's vids are any indication, stage 3 activates any time the ABS is active

Stage 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRTvJGOgLA

Stage 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9segIjAwVNU

Stage 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzws6pQphWE

derbo
10-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Based on Jon's videos, it seems stage 3 is still activated under low speeds since the demonstrations are at low speed to a stop.

Here is the scenario I am wondering about:

60mph+
ABS activates

will the BFD stage 3 activate?

During track days, stage 2 activates during braking on corners for other BMWs I've seen on track and I'm wondering if stage 3 activates similarly. That would be cool on the track.. :)

terraphantm
10-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Based on Jon's videos, it seems stage 3 is still activated under low speeds since the demonstrations are at low speed to a stop.

Here is the scenario I am wondering about:

60mph+
ABS activates

will the BFD stage 3 activate?

During track days, stage 2 activates during braking on corners for other BMWs I've seen on track and I'm wondering if stage 3 activates similarly. That would be cool on the track.. :)

I haven't checked, but I believe they do turn on. Kind of hard to find a road where you can repeatedly speed up to 60+, panic stop, and catch it on video. And they can be set to turn on before ABS kicks in too (there are 2 thresholds not counting ABS). You might be able to skip stage 2 and just go to stage 3... I haven't tried that yet.

BTW sorry for not checking on those parking lights -- my VM decided to corrupt on my so I've got to set everything up again

derbo
10-31-2013, 11:20 PM
I haven't checked, but I believe they do turn on. Kind of hard to find a road where you can repeatedly speed up to 60+, panic stop, and catch it on video. And they can be set to turn on before ABS kicks in too (there are 2 thresholds not counting ABS). You might be able to skip stage 2 and just go to stage 3... I haven't tried that yet.

BTW sorry for not checking on those parking lights -- my VM decided to corrupt on my so I've got to set everything up again

Hey no worries!

BFD,
I will try and test it out next trackday since I have it set on my car. It will be fun to see it from a car chasing me.

That sucks for the VM! At least you found out when you aren't in desperate of a working VM. I made a few remote backups of my VM so I don't have to deal with setup again.

sent from a Moto X

az3579
11-02-2013, 06:20 PM

I've tried everything mentioned in this post. Yes, it can be activated as Stage 2 as well, and yes; BFD does activate a very low speeds as well. I made a video, I just never uploaded it, but the speed was at approximately 25mph.

terraphantm
11-03-2013, 12:25 AM
I've tried everything mentioned in this post. Yes, it can be activated as Stage 2 as well, and yes; BFD does activate a very low speeds as well. I made a video, I just never uploaded it, but the speed was at approximately 25mph.

Yeah I did try from 25 and it did activate just before coming to a complete stop. I think it might activate even quicker from higher speeds. The trigger is supposed to be a rate of deceleration. That threshold # 2 might not even be triggered at low speeds. Ideally we'd be able to try from like... 100... but not many places where that can be done safely.

More scientific would be if we could feed a false speed signal to the cluster and vary deceleration rates

derbo
11-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll try it at the track in 2 weeks to see if it activated during abs

sent from a Moto X

az3579
11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll try it at the track in 2 weeks to see if it activated during abs

sent from a Moto X

Derek, the solution is simple; find a very quiet road, set a camera down on the ground, accelerate past it at around 30, and slam the brakes. That's how I checked mine. It certainly does activate all the stages of BFD.

cakM3
11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Derek, the solution is simple; find a very quiet road, set a camera down on the ground, accelerate past it at around 30, and slam the brakes. That's how I checked mine. It certainly does activate all the stages of BFD.

Just don't run over your camera Derek :p

derbo
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Lol easier to see it if I mount a camera on a chase car and we go to the track :)

sent from a Moto X

derbo
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I think I figured it out. Thought I share it in here as well for you guys.

SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
BLK_DIMMEN aktiv / nicht_aktiv Dimmed Turn Signals
SL_VO_ANSTEUERUNG aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Front Parking Lights Control
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring left parking light
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor left parking light

It seems to be activating my turn signals and when the low beams activate, the corners go off.

az3579
11-05-2013, 04:50 PM
^ Mission accomplished. :like

az3579
11-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Looks like I got it to successfully work on my car with INPA foglight switch on.

Change these settings in the ALSZ. It was missing one option to get it to work on the rear. AUSGANG is german for output, but and I am assuming the wert01 02 are voltage changes.

This should make the inner trunk tail light act as normal when the rear fog is not pressed. I tested with INPA, E46, Lighting switch centre, F8, select foglamp button foglight button, F2 to start. My cluster showed both the front and rear foglight on and I went to check the rear and sure as hell, it works!

Joop,

Hope you can dig through this and try it out with your switch! :)

Because it didn't quote the quote you made, I'll include it here:

PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG change from wert 01 to wert 02.
wert02
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS Rear foglight left
aktiv
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS Rear foglight right
aktiv

I tried these tonight with my euro faceplate. They enable the trunk lights to turn on with the rear fogs, but the U.S. setup where the inner taillight bulb lights up is still in effect. So, I have the inner taillight bulb for the driver's side on, as well as the trunk light for both the left and right with this setup. I have no idea what the first line item controls because it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's on wert01 or 02. The next two control whether the left and right side trunk lights are on.

Here is a visual representation:

- = off
1 = on, dimmed
2 = on, bright

this is the bottom row of lights, in order: (driver's side outer running, driver's side inner running), driver's trunk, passenger trunk, (passenger inner running, passenger outer running)
( ) denotes grouped in the same housing

(12) 2 2 (11)

So, if I can figure out how to disable the inner driver's side running bulb from being bright, then I think this can be considered cracked.
I'll play with it more tomorrow.

derbo
11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
BP,

try disable pin20, that activated (12) 22 (11)

PIN_20_ALS_NSL nicht_aktiv

I believe this was the original rear foglight setup that Joop was using for the outer taillight.

The first line wouldn't let me control the brightness of the inner trunk lights unless I had it setup to wert_02. I'm not sure it does either except the name indicates its a pulse width modulation.

Anyone know what the ASL and NSL stand for?

SL = STAND_LICHTS "parking lights"

If you want, you can also send me a copy of your TRC file and we can compare what settings I am using versus yours. I don't have that inner outer bulb on with my rear fogs.

Here is a list of the stuff I changed from factory defaults:

ALSZ

BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Crash warning blinker impulse speed.
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Hazard lights impulse speed.
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog lights turn off when high beams are on.
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01 / wert_02 wert_01=bixenon and halogen together.
BFD_SW1_STUFE2 aktiv / nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?
BFD_SW2_STUFE2 aktiv / nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW1_STUFE3 aktiv / nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW2_STUFE3 aktiv / nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
BFD_ABS_STUFE3 aktiv / nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
BLST1_BLST3 aktiv / nicht_aktiv Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well
PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG wert_01 / wert_02 needed for activating rear foglights (unsure what it does really)
CC_NSL_LINKS aktiv / nicht_aktiv Check Control Left fog light
CC_NSL_RECHTS aktiv / nicht_aktiv Check Control Right fog light
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS aktiv / nicht_aktiv Parking Lights as fog lights right
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS aktiv / nicht_aktiv Parking Lights as fog lights left
NSL_ALS_STANDLICHT aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog-lights as parking lights
SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
BLK_DIMMEN aktiv / nicht_aktiv Dimmed Turn Signals
SL_VO_ANSTEUERUNG aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Front Parking Lights Control
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring left parking light
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Cold Monitoring right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_RE aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor right parking light
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_SL_LI aktiv/ nicht_aktiv Warm Monitor left parking light

az3579
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
BP,

try disable pin20, that activated (12) 22 (11)

PIN_20_ALS_NSL nicht_aktiv

I believe this was the original rear foglight setup that Joop was using for the outer taillight.

Disabling this renders my rear foglight button null. I can press it and the indicator will come on the dash, but no rear fogs will activate with it disabled.

derbo
11-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Is the pwm option set to wert_02 as well?

sent from a Moto X

az3579
11-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Is the pwm option set to wert_02 as well?

sent from a Moto X

I think I tried it with and without. I'll run through it again and make sure.

JupiterBMW
11-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Yes, BP, what Derek said is correct, at least in terms of what I tried and what did and didn't work. The 3 lines that you copied are what I currently changed and mine works just fine... Lemme try and upload my TRC file...

**EDIT** The .trc file is an invalid extension for uploading onto the Mafia. So, I can email it to you if you'd like... There might be other changes in there too. For instance, I've played around with the follow-me-home settings a bit, and I don't have the front corners turned off...

For $30/pair, I want my damn stealth bulbs to be seen as often as possible. :facepalm :biggrin

az3579
11-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Nevermind. I had to revert to defaults and reapply all of my lighting stuff for it to work. It's good now.
Thanks fellas.

derbo
11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Nevermind. I had to revert to defaults and reapply all of my lighting stuff for it to work. It's good now.
Thanks fellas.

No problem! I am curious what you had set active that made it activate that corner.

sent from a Moto X

Hornung418
11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
So why can't I edit any lines of code in NCSExpert? This is where I'm struggling. I can look at all the modules but when it comes to changing to aktiv/nicht aktiv, I'm stuck...

derbo
11-06-2013, 09:20 AM
So why can't I edit any lines of code in NCSExpert? This is where I'm struggling. I can look at all the modules but when it comes to changing to aktiv/nicht aktiv, I'm stuck...

Where are you exactly stuck on?

sent from a Moto X

Hornung418
11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Idk. All of the diagnostic tools and coding tools on my computer. What program do y'all use for that stuff?

Sent from my GS3.

az3579
11-06-2013, 09:22 AM

When you read a module, you have to go into the NCSEXPERT\WORK folder and open the FSW_PSW.TRC file. That is where you'll find all of the options and values. Once you have made your changes, you save the file in the same folder as FSW_PSW.MAN (overwrite existing, if it's there already) , change the job type in NCS to SG CODERIEN, Execute job, and done.

There are tools that help you do this... BMW Coding Tool is one of them. Once you read the module with NCS, you can import the TRC file into the Coding Tool, search for the values, make the changes, hit the Save MAN button, and then code with NCS.

derbo
11-06-2013, 01:37 PM
BMW coding tool is a nice GUI makes updating daten one button simple.

sent from a Moto X

JupiterBMW
11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
BP hit it right on the head. I do essentially the same thing, but I use NCS Dummy to make all the changes. It basically provides you a list, with translations, and all you do is check which option you want. Then you export the file and continue to code in NCS expert as BP mentioned. Good luck Justin!

Hornung418
11-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Sweet I will be looking to do all of the lighting mods!

Sent from my GS3.

derbo
11-09-2013, 10:23 AM
If you ever need help Justin, feel free to ask any of us :)

sent from a Moto X

derbo
12-01-2014, 10:17 PM
I thought I awake this thread in light to talking to Wyatt.

Terra posted a nice setup for you lucky 4.0/4.5 owners.

Daytime Running Taillights (LSZ SW# 4.0 and 4.5 only)

FL_DRL_MIT_RL -> aktiv

For this to work, you need to have either GED_FL_ALS_DRL or PO_ALS_DRL set to aktiv along with the first line. GED_FL_ALS_DRL is the dimmed highbeams. PO_ALS_DRL turns on the city lights as DRL. Since US cars don't come with city lights, having that enabled and FL_DRL_MIT_RL enabled will make it so that you have rear DRLs only.

IMO rear DRLs are useful, since it'll help people from behind see you.

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:09 AM
I thought I awake this thread in light to talking to Wyatt.

Terra posted a nice setup for you lucky 4.0/4.5 owners.

I've been wanting this ever since I got my car. Thanks for re-posting, and thanks Terra for figuring that out!

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 04:55 AM
I've been wanting this ever since I got my car. Thanks for re-posting, and thanks Terra for figuring that out!

So what does this do?

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:59 AM
So what does this do?

Rear daytime running lights, as Derek quoted...
Having the option to set the city lights as DRL's as well might just make me wire in the city lights using the OE functionality with wires running to the LCM. Currently I have it set up with an angel eye harness.

But the rear DRL's; I've been wanting that for a long time. I don't like having to move my switch to the parking light position to get that functionality, and most of the time I don't want my instrument cluster lights on if I don't need them to be. This would be precisely what I need!

Tnhl1989
12-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Provide a video once you get it set up BP :)

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Rear daytime running lights, as Derek quoted... Gee thanks.

Having the option to set the city lights as DRL's as well might just make me wire in the city lights using the OE functionality with wires running to the LCM. Currently I have it set up with an angel eye harness.

But the rear DRL's; I've been wanting that for a long time. I don't like having to move my switch to the parking light position to get that functionality, and most of the time I don't want my instrument cluster lights on if I don't need them to be. This would be precisely what I need!

So this would enable a rear tail light constantly at a lower brightness than euro rear fogs?

az3579
12-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Gee thanks.

So this would enable a rear tail light constantly at a lower brightness than euro rear fogs?

I assume it would be just the running lights being on, standard affair...

Provide a video once you get it set up BP :)

I'll try it out tonight and take pics.

derbo
12-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Rear daytime running lights, as Derek quoted...

I'm waiting for you to figure out the City light options. The list of options is active on the Euro LCM is posted in a few post back but I haven't figured out which specifically will enable the city lights. I'm sure Terra can chime in on this if he is around ;)

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 06:12 PM
I parked on a dark street in the rain tonight at my daughter's swim meet and activated the euro parking lights (blinker stalk to on position). I thought this usually only activated the rear light in a low voltage setting. My front and rear were both on (in a low setting). I was in the meet for @2 hours and no issues on startup.

Anyone know if there is a check box to not activate the front bulb in PASoft? Perhaps I checked it by mistake.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

az3579
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm waiting for you to figure out the City light options. The list of options is active on the Euro LCM is posted in a few post back but I haven't figured out which specifically will enable the city lights. I'm sure Terra can chime in on this if he is around ;)

City lights as DRL's? You'd have to wire them directly to the correct pins on the LCM. I'm not sure if enabling city lights as DRL's would be enough. I think the car is technically supposed to only have them on with parking lights and/or lowbeams/highbeams, for which you'd have to code the car as a Euro spec car. I think I read quite a while ago from Terra that to do it the car's vehicle order has to be changed or something like that.

Personally I think I'm going to continue using it with the angel eye harness as I like the added benefit of them fading on/off with the interior lights.

Tonight I performed the coding mentioned a few posts earlier and can happily say it works! I coded both the city lights for DRL and rear lights for DRL (since one of the front options had to be enabled for the rear to work according to the post). I haven't tried the rear coding without the front DRL options yet; I'll try it another time.

I'm also curious why this only works with LCM v4.0 or above. I have a spare euro M3 LCM I'm going to swap in to see what options that LCM has. I think the SW version on it is like 3.1 or something like that.

derbo
12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
City lights as DRL's? You'd have to wire them directly to the correct pins on the LCM. I'm not sure if enabling city lights as DRL's would be enough. I think the car is technically supposed to only have them on with parking lights and/or lowbeams/highbeams, for which you'd have to code the car as a Euro spec car. I think I read quite a while ago from Terra that to do it the car's vehicle order has to be changed or something like that.

Personally I think I'm going to continue using it with the angel eye harness as I like the added benefit of them fading on/off with the interior lights.

Tonight I performed the coding mentioned a few posts earlier and can happily say it works! I coded both the city lights for DRL and rear lights for DRL (since one of the front options had to be enabled for the rear to work according to the post). I haven't tried the rear coding without the front DRL options yet; I'll try it another time.

I'm also curious why this only works with LCM v4.0 or above. I have a spare euro M3 LCM I'm going to swap in to see what options that LCM has. I think the SW version on it is like 3.1 or something like that.

I am referring to City lights as parking lights. So basically Euro-spec headlights. Changing the vehicle order just enables specific ncsexpert settings anyways. I wanted to wire up city lights to pin 44/45 on the LCM and run the entire euro light setup. :)

I posted the differences between the EV53 and EV51 here in post 85. Now I am unclear which options are actually the ones that enable the city lights. If not, I'll just code it to EV51 and edit the options I want to be US.

Terra,
Thanks for the help! It definitely pointed me to the right direction.

The differences in the Euro ALSZ so far are these:

LAENDERVARIANTE_LSZ -> wert_01 Country version for LSZ?
CC_STANDLICHT_RECHTS -> aktiv check city lights
CC_STANDLICHT_LINKS -> aktiv check city lights
DRL_DIMMUNG -> wert_01 DRL dimming
PWM_WERT2_BLK_ZUSATZFKT -> wert_01 dim signal something
PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG -> wert_02 Parking light output???
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS -> aktiv Left Rear Fog activate
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS -> aktiv Right Rear Fog activate
FO_ME_HOME_SL2 -> aktiv ???
PIN37_49_PARKL -> aktiv ??
PIN38_20_PARK -> nicht_aktiv ??
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL3_H -> nicht_aktiv follow me home something lights??
HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL_V -> aktiv follow me home rear parking lights
BEI_NSL_KEIN_BFD -> aktiv Brake Force Display, rear fog?

These are my guesses on the descriptions..Any insight on this Terra?

Now to figure out what the rest of the differences do.

derbo
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Has anyone tried this?

NSW_KL_50 "FRONT FOG LIGHTS ENABLED WHEN STARTING ENGINE"

I take it it means that the foglights are able to be turned on without having parking lights on as long as the engine is running? :)

cakM3
01-05-2015, 06:36 PM
That's interesting Derek! Are you going to try it out?

Tnhl1989
01-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Derek has warmer weather than us so he could ;)

derbo
01-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Whenever I have time to touch the car and fiddle with it, I will. I most likely can play around it when I get my lightswitch back from Terra.

az3579
01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Has anyone tried this?

NSW_KL_50 "FRONT FOG LIGHTS ENABLED WHEN STARTING ENGINE"

I take it it means that the foglights are able to be turned on without having parking lights on as long as the engine is running? :)

That's interesting Derek! Are you going to try it out?

I'll test it out tonight. Now that I have LED fogs, I don't have to worry about burning them out and have been wanting to do this for a while. :thumbsup

terraphantm
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I think that's the line that controls whether or not the front fogs can stay on while the starter is running.

derbo
01-06-2015, 09:43 AM
I think that's the line that controls whether or not the front fogs can stay on while the starter is running.

That would make sense since there is other ones for headlights and parking lights. I haven't gotten a chance to play with it since I do not know what the default value is.

derbo
02-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Terra, BP, Joop, Wyatt,

Anyone know what this does?
FL_ALS_SL_LR

it is set at nicht_aktiv as default.

FL_DRL_MIT_RL sets rear lights as DRL so I wonder what FL_ALS_SL_LR does.

FL = ?
ALS = ? It usually in the standing lights parameters.
SL = Standing licht
LR = ?

wertyu78
02-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Terra, BP, Joop, Wyatt,

Anyone know what this does?
FL_ALS_SL_LR

it is set at nicht_aktiv as default.

FL_DRL_MIT_RL sets rear lights as DRL so I wonder what FL_ALS_SL_LR does.

FL = ?
ALS = ? It usually in the standing lights parameters.
SL = Standing licht
LR = ?

I did some digging online, and apparently the folks with the newer chassis are FL_ALS_SL_LR from aktiv, to nik_aktiv to disable angel eyes/halos. I'm not sure how accurate that this info is, so..... I hope it helps!

derbo
02-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Been digging around Z4 Forums too and it looks like you are right Wyatt.

ended up with two interesting quotes that maybe fruitful.

Translated German of course:

For those who are, as I fret about the castrated light rings in the FL headlights,
I finally discovered how to disable it. In ALSZ the entry FL_ALS_SL_LR to inactive change. Only the Fade In, will the inner yet been activated, otherwise they should always disabled. The entry OFFSET_LWR changes the height adjustment for XENON. (Note, the vehicle should be given to a flat surface !!)

Here is a solution for the daytime running lights during facelift headlights with corona rings and the optionally also the rear light.
Is in cooperation with Benster emerged. First off, some background. Since the high beams sit in the place of the corona rings in the VFL, the corona rings on the plug of the main beam are connected by the VFL. The LSZ was supplemented in FL based on the VFL. For that reason, as the functions HEIMLEUCHTEN_SL_V and PO_ALS_DRL (parking lights as daytime running lights) do not work (parking light front) because they lead nowhere. Instead, the HEIMLEUCHTEN_FL function (high beam) must be set to active, now the corona rings is bring in Coming Home light. Now for the daytime running lights. For facelift headlights following functions with these parameters must be set: GED_FL_ALS_DRL - Dimmed REMOTE LIGHT AS DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS active (this function comes from the VFL, at this point the corona rings are connected) DRL_DIMMUNG - DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS DIMMING wert_04 (only when wert_04 located off the . Sidelights a "wert_04" = 0% dimming) FL_DRL_MIT_RL - REMOTE LIGHT AS DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS AND TAILLIGHT active (be put through active tail lights added to the daytime running lights) FL_ALS_SL_LR - REMOTE LIGHT AS PARKING LIGHT LEFT RIGHT active (by default, the FL on active, must stay there, otherwise the corona rings do not work) now always lights at ignition, the corona rings, either with the rear light, daytime running lights.

terraphantm
02-02-2015, 01:20 PM
FL = Fernlicht (high beam)
ALS = Dunno what this stands for, but usually it makes sense if I read it as "as"
SL = Standlicht / parking lights
LR = No idea

derbo
02-02-2015, 05:36 PM
FL = Fernlicht (high beam)
ALS = Dunno what this stands for, but usually it makes sense if I read it as "as"
SL = Standlicht / parking lights
LR = No idea

LR seems to be Links/Rechts (Left/Right)

High Beams as Standing parking lights O_O

terraphantm
02-03-2015, 06:17 AM
LR seems to be Links/Rechts (Left/Right)

High Beams as Standing parking lights O_O

I guess the facelift Z4s use the highbeam pins for the angel eyes? I know they don't have separate highbeams (bixenon only)

Hornung418
02-03-2015, 07:00 AM
Als is Deutsche for "as."

LR could be Links Recht which would be "left right."

derbo
02-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Als is Deutsche for "as."

LR could be Links Recht which would be "left right."

Sounds right! Looks like that parameter is "High beams as parking lights left/right"

Interesting.

terraphantm
02-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Yeah, looks like BMW wired up the angel eyes to the high beam pins. I wonder why they didn't wire them up to the city light pins like on other BMWs

derbo
02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah, looks like BMW wired up the angel eyes to the high beam pins. I wonder why they didn't wire them up to the city light pins like on other BMWs

Hmm I wonder if I could activate DRL as parking lights with this option...

terraphantm
02-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Hmm I wonder if I could activate DRL as parking lights with this option...

Seems like that's exactly what that would do. What I'm not sure about is brightness

derbo
02-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Seems like that's exactly what that would do. What I'm not sure about is brightness

I'll try it out when I get a chance.

trancenation
04-24-2016, 04:35 PM
Does anyone know if I can use INPA to enable the rear foglight?

Thanks.

Aeternalis
04-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Thanks.
I think you'll need a euro LCM as well.

cakM3
04-26-2016, 07:29 AM
I did not need a Euro LCM to have rear fogs work on my ZHP. Just a Euro faceplate. Everything is functional ;)

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

QC_ZHP
04-26-2016, 07:55 AM
I did not need a Euro LCM to have rear fogs work on my ZHP. Just a Euro faceplate. Everything is functional ;)

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

+1. All you need is the faceplate with the rear fogs button and it works I believe.

cakM3
04-26-2016, 08:20 AM
+1. All you need is the faceplate with the rear fogs button and it works I believe.

For sedans, yes. With coupes you need to install additional wiring from the LCM to the rear fogs...

QC_ZHP
04-26-2016, 08:23 AM
For sedans, yes. With coupes you need to install additional wiring from the LCM to the rear fogs...

Like i needed another reason to love sedans more... :)

trancenation
04-26-2016, 08:55 AM
I do have a Euro Faceplate with the rear fog button. What I'm asking for is if INPA can be used to code them?

QC_ZHP
04-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Pop that faceplate on you current LCM and it should already be enabled.

derbo
04-26-2016, 09:19 AM
I do have a Euro Faceplate with the rear fog button. What I'm asking for is if INPA can be used to code them?

No. Not that I am aware. But if you have INPA installed, you should have NCSexpert as well.

Also rear fogs on a sedan still require coding to achieve the proper rear fog (drive side middle only.)

cakM3
04-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Also rear fogs on a sedan still require coding to achieve the proper rear fog (drive side middle only.)

Derek is right :thumbsup

But I did not go with the "proper rear fog" coding as I opted to have both (driver's and passenger's side) lights to come on when I engage my rear fogs on my ZHP. :drevil

az3579
04-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Thanks.

No, INPA will not do that.

Overboost
02-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Because it didn't quote the quote you made, I'll include it here:

I tried these tonight with my euro faceplate. They enable the trunk lights to turn on with the rear fogs, but the U.S. setup where the inner taillight bulb lights up is still in effect. So, I have the inner taillight bulb for the driver's side on, as well as the trunk light for both the left and right with this setup. I have no idea what the first line item controls because it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's on wert01 or 02. The next two control whether the left and right side trunk lights are on.

Here is a visual representation:

- = off
1 = on, dimmed
2 = on, bright

this is the bottom row of lights, in order: (driver's side outer running, driver's side inner running), driver's trunk, passenger trunk, (passenger inner running, passenger outer running)
( ) denotes grouped in the same housing

(12) 2 2 (11)

So, if I can figure out how to disable the inner driver's side running bulb from being bright, then I think this can be considered cracked.
I'll play with it more tomorrow.

Just a thank you for the DIY on the rear fog coding. Like you I had strange brightness config (12) 1 1 (11) with rear fog switch on initially on installation. I turned off Pin 20 as rear fogs and got back to (11) 1 1 (11). Then, using your 3 lines above:

PWM_WERT2_ALS_SL_AUSGANG change from wert 01 to wert 02.(Mine was wert 03)
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_LINKS Rear foglight left aktiv
STANDLICHT_ALS_NSL_RECHTS Rear foglight right aktiv

Then everything worked perfectly. (11) 2 2 (11) Thanks to everyone who contributed here on this.

johnrando
02-08-2017, 06:02 PM
Nice!

Overboost
02-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know if there is a FA vehicle order for rear fog? I found $5AAA here Full BMW and Mini VO FA list (http://codingf10.com/full-bmw-and-mini-vo-fa-list/) but my system rejects it as an invalid code. Also, any thoughts on the dual vs single fog as per Europe? I tried it both ways and looks like tail light mayhem with only one lit but I am kind of waffling on correct or dual. Any thoughts? :scratchinghead

az3579
02-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Also, any thoughts on the dual vs single fog as per Europe? I tried it both ways and looks like tail light mayhem with only one lit but I am kind of waffling on correct or dual. Any thoughts? :scratchinghead

Technically, the correct rear fog illumination is only the single trunk light that is located on the driver's side. So, for LHD cards, it's the left trunk light, and for RHD it's the right trunk light. I enabled both purely for OCD reasons - I can't live with it knowing it looks like it's broken with just one lit. It is, however, less confusing when just one is lit. If both are on, people might think you're braking, which would just confuse the crap out of 'em seeing the lights on all the time. Personally, I don't care - I'd rather have them maintain more distance because of their uncertainty. That, and my real brake lights would ease the confusion when they finally do go on.

Karl Lazlo
02-09-2017, 06:06 AM
Technically, the correct rear fog illumination is only the single trunk light that is located on the driver's side. So, for LHD cards, it's the left trunk light, and for RHD it's the right trunk light.

Not to be pedantic but...

One or two lamps are acceptable implementations as per ECE Rule 48. Single lamp orientation is based on the country of registration, not driver's seat config.

az3579
02-09-2017, 06:20 AM
One or two lamps are acceptable implementations as per ECE Rule 48. Single lamp orientation is based on the country of registration, not driver's seat config.

I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking about E46 BMW's specifically. Their rear fogs appear to be set up based on whether it's LHD or RHD, and only on that side, based on the research I did when learning how to code them.

I'm having a hard time finding actual pics of a factory rear fog setup on a facelift E46 sedan. :(

Karl Lazlo
02-09-2017, 06:34 AM
I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking about E46 BMW's specifically. Their rear fogs appear to be set up based on whether it's LHD or RHD, and only on that side, based on the research I did when learning how to code them.

Well, based on the ECE rule, the placement of the single rear fog would most likely be coincident with the lane usage/L or RHD drive configuration for most registrations. But for vehicles with a cross-configured registration (as an example, the UK with a LHD car), the single rear fog would have to be relocated or a dual rear fog implemented to satisfy Rule 46. Hence why most manufacturers went to a dual rear fog.

Overboost
02-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Well, based on the ECE rule, the placement of the single rear fog would most likely be coincident with the lane usage/L or RHD drive configuration for most registrations. But for vehicles with a cross-configured registration (as an example, the UK with a LHD car), the single rear fog would have to be relocated or a dual rear fog implemented to satisfy Rule 46. Hence why most manufacturers went to a dual rear fog.

Thanks guys. That info right there just convinced me to keep it on 2 lights. az3579 did you ever find a FA code for the rear fog in your research? I have scoured the net with no luck other than $5AAA.

az3579
02-09-2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys. That info right there just convinced me to keep it on 2 lights. az3579 did you ever find a FA code for the rear fog in your research? I have scoured the net with no luck other than $5AAA.

I never bothered looking for one because the options were all right there, all I had to do was enable them.

derbo
02-09-2017, 09:33 AM
I figure I should throw this into the mix on this thread:

I coded my car to EV51 (Euro) and compared it to EV53 (US) for the LCM.

Euro Left, USDM Right

https://www.diffchecker.com/0AVLNhxs

derbo
02-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Technically, I believe you have to code the car to EV51 for the LCM. I posted the comparision of the LCM settings above.

az3579
02-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Technically, I believe you have to code the car to EV51 for the LCM. I posted the comparision of the LCM settings above.

As a requirement for what? If you mean to add to FA, then perhaps. You don't have to code to EV51 just to get the option though - that exists even with EV53.

derbo
02-09-2017, 11:13 AM
As a requirement for what? If you mean to add to FA, then perhaps. You don't have to code to EV51 just to get the option though - that exists even with EV53.

Guy wanted to code it as an FA, so I believe rear fog parameters are precoded in EV51 w/ FA. I agree with you though, EV53 has all the parameters and can be manually set up without the FA change.

Overboost
02-09-2017, 12:01 PM
No worries, rear fog system is working fine. I just wanted to add the listed option in my vehicle order list. I did the same thing when I coded the rain light sensor for auto headlights and wipers. All these systems worked fine as they should without it being in the vehicle order. I just add the FA code to keep my directory clean. I did however need to add FA $313 in my system to gain access to the door modules for the auto folding mirrors on key fob lock/unlock. It is nothing more than my OCD really... :rockon

terraphantm
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
It's not a good idea to change from *EV53 to *EV51 because there's a lot of parameters that are different between US and Euro models that you wouldn't want to change. And since rear fogs were never an option for US cars, there's no rear fog option code.

Overboost
02-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Wow! The legend lives! Nice to meet you TerraPhantm, thank you for the information on the rear fog FA. You have been so instrumental on all my coding I have done over the last few months. All your BFD, triple blink, double impulse hazards, folding mirrors, rear fog, RLS retrofit, etc. have all been successful for me reading your posts. I just want to give a huge thank you. I do have one question if you don't mind. I read you can change the triple blink to maybe 4 or 5 blinks. What is required to make that change, SW4.5? It is a little short for lane changes. Again, if you are ever down in the Carolinas or show up at a race circuit at an event I am at, I owe you. Thanks again and great to finally catch up with you.

terraphantm
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Basically, open up the LSZ.C36 (if 4.0) or LSZ.C37 (4.5) file with NCS Dummy without loading any FSW_PSW files, go down to cycle_ti_blk, right click it, and click "add parameter". Name it whatever you want, and under data put the number of blinks you want (maximum is 7). Then click on module -> update module.

You should be able to use that new parameter when coding the LSZ now.

Overboost
02-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Funfmal - quintuple it is, thanks brother. Your stock just went up AGAIN, it worked perfectly! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your knowledge.
I have a business programming racing engine controls and data acquisition systems, mostly MoTeC and are all CAN based. Let me know if you still want to figure out the CAN addresses and offsets for the shift light signal to the M3 clusters if you haven't done that already. I use a Peak P-CAN sniffer if you ever need it just ask! Thanks again!

terraphantm
02-09-2017, 08:50 PM
Heh, I've got the CAN-bus format all figured out and have the warmup lights working. Even have it flashable by OBDII now since I've factored the RSA key for the DME.

Shift lights - the hard part isn't the CAN messages (it's the same message as the warmup lights). It's the actual logic that's difficult to write. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to just make them turn on at the same RPMs every time. But getting it to behave like the M3 (where the timing and rate of when the lights turn on is dependent on how quickly you're accelerating / approaching redline) is difficult. Especially since it's not like I can just write some C++ code and compile it -- it's all assembly language for that kind of thing.

Other part of the issue is that I have bad cats on my ZHP and the increased back pressure is confusing my O2 sensors and causing misfires/stalls if I venture above 6k RPMs. With medical school and all, I just haven't had time to deal with mechanical stuff.

nextelbuddy
02-10-2017, 07:41 AM
i was at the junk yard the other day and came across a few LCMs that had the Auto switch and said 3.6 SW but I knew those cars were NOT Xenon. i left them there thinking they were useless to me for the triple blink update. was i correct in assuming that?

the one in my car is 3.6 xenon but just wanted an extra to send you so I had an LCM while that was getting done.

Are you still offering that service? if so whats the best way to get that started.

Overboost
02-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Heh, I've got the CAN-bus format all figured out and have the warmup lights working. Even have it flashable by OBDII now since I've factored the RSA key for the DME.

Shift lights - the hard part isn't the CAN messages (it's the same message as the warmup lights). It's the actual logic that's difficult to write. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to just make them turn on at the same RPMs every time. But getting it to behave like the M3 (where the timing and rate of when the lights turn on is dependent on how quickly you're accelerating / approaching redline) is difficult. Especially since it's not like I can just write some C++ code and compile it -- it's all assembly language for that kind of thing.

Other part of the issue is that I have bad cats on my ZHP and the increased back pressure is confusing my O2 sensors and causing misfires/stalls if I venture above 6k RPMs. With medical school and all, I just haven't had time to deal with mechanical stuff.

I figured you already had the sorted out. On my systems we do a gear dependent shift light sequence so it gives us the ability to keep the sequential speed of the lights as a 1 2 3 4. Certainly a simple rpm only would flash too quickly in lower gears and so slow in top gear. Anyway, you have helped me immensely, I am grateful for everything you have taught me. Thanks again Dr. TerraPhantm. :fistpump

terraphantm
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
i was at the junk yard the other day and came across a few LCMs that had the Auto switch and said 3.6 SW but I knew those cars were NOT Xenon. i left them there thinking they were useless to me for the triple blink update. was i correct in assuming that?

the one in my car is 3.6 xenon but just wanted an extra to send you so I had an LCM while that was getting done.

Are you still offering that service? if so whats the best way to get that started.

They can be flashed with the triple blink software, but they won't have the hardware to run the autoleveling motors and sensors that xenon cars have.

I can do the flashes still, but I haven't been really been saying so because my time commitments are such that I'm not able to offer a guaranteed time frame for turn around.

nextelbuddy
02-10-2017, 09:31 AM
They can be flashed with the triple blink software, but they won't have the hardware to run the autoleveling motors and sensors that xenon cars have.

I can do the flashes still, but I haven't been really been saying so because my time commitments are such that I'm not able to offer a guaranteed time frame for turn around.

oh ok then thats fine i'm glad i left them then.

ok when I'm ready to send out mine, i will touch base with you to see what your capacity is at that time and hopefully cross my fingers you can do it.

BMWCurves
02-10-2017, 09:36 AM
If you ever figure out those shift lights for the ZHP I'll be first in line asking for your programming wizardry (the M3 cluster coding is still on my list as well, but no real rush).

nextelbuddy
02-10-2017, 09:48 AM

oh ok then thats fine i'm glad i left them then.

ok when I'm ready to send out mine, i will touch base with you to see what your capacity is at that time and hopefully cross my fingers you can do it.

derbo
02-10-2017, 11:13 AM
It's not a good idea to change from *EV53 to *EV51 because there's a lot of parameters that are different between US and Euro models that you wouldn't want to change. And since rear fogs were never an option for US cars, there's no rear fog option code.

Yup, I totally agree. I changed it for the sole reason to dump the default settings to compare to the EV53 default values.

terraphantm
02-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Yup, I totally agree. I changed it for the sole reason to dump the default settings to compare to the EV53 default values.

Just for future reference, instead of actually coding your LSZ, you can just click on "Basic Functions" and then chose the "coApiGetNetToDataFromCbd" job. Enter a file name you want to save the nettodata as, and then load that file with NCS Dummy. You'll see what parameters would have been marked without actually having to recode the LCM. (In fact, if you save your VO as .SSD file and load that, you don't even need to connect to a car).

holyc0w
02-10-2017, 04:38 PM
n00b question incoming:

For the rear fog lights and triple blink, the LCM need has to be 4.0 or above, and it has to be the euro LCM with the rear foglight button? In addition, I would have to make sure it's from a car with xenon lights to retain the auto-leveling function?

Are there other ways to get the rear foglights?

az3579
02-10-2017, 05:25 PM
n00b question incoming:

For the rear fog lights and triple blink, the LCM need has to be 4.0 or above, and it has to be the euro LCM with the rear foglight button? In addition, I would have to make sure it's from a car with xenon lights to retain the auto-leveling function?

Are there other ways to get the rear foglights?
You can get rear fogs with your existing LCM, you just need to buy the appropriate faceplate. After that all you need is the coding.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

derbo
02-10-2017, 06:05 PM
You can get rear fogs with your existing LCM, you just need to buy the appropriate faceplate. After that all you need is the coding.

For a coupe, it will require wiring as well.
For a sedan, its already pre-wired. :)

derbo
02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Just for future reference, instead of actually coding your LSZ, you can just click on "Basic Functions" and then chose the "coApiGetNetToDataFromCbd" job. Enter a file name you want to save the nettodata as, and then load that file with NCS Dummy. You'll see what parameters would have been marked without actually having to recode the LCM. (In fact, if you save your VO as .SSD file and load that, you don't even need to connect to a car).

Thanks for that. I'll do that next time [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holyc0w
02-10-2017, 11:03 PM

I though they were one and the same. Where would I find just the faceplate?

I was looking on ebay and some of the switches have the switch on the top right. What's that for?

I haven't seen a switch with 4.0 or above version and the rear foglight button. Does such a thing exist?

ELCID86
02-11-2017, 06:28 AM
This one? BTW, LCM is separate from faceplate.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/830ade8707088f4323b1694f66c68406.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/0c786e9c6760adcc5f8cbb889d819224.jpg

Overboost
02-11-2017, 06:34 AM
I though they were one and the same. Where would I find just the faceplate?

I was looking on ebay and some of the switches have the switch on the top right. What's that for?

I haven't seen a switch with 4.0 or above version and the rear foglight button. Does such a thing exist?

For my sedan, I bought a 2006 M3 (self leveling Xenon) LCM SW4.0 here in the US and then bought my faceplate from the same eBay seller you have in your post from Europe. I had to buy the entire LCM from him but the cost was less than $100 shipped from Sweden in 3 days. As az3579 and ELCID86 point out, all you need to do is swap out the rear fog faceplate to your LCM. The wheel next to the illumination wheel you ask asking about about is a manual headlight adjuster used in Europe. Since I had the self leveling Xenon, I wanted a specific LCM faceplate. Auto position, illumination wheel, front and rear fog only. The same one ELCID86 shows in his post.

Just remember, when you change your LCM you will need to match the VIN and mileage to your cluster to avoid the tamper dot. It is easy with PA Soft 1.4 so make sure to order that software suite and cable too for your retrofit. You will also need to program your new LCM to your car with the features you want (BFD, triple blink, double impulse hazards, rear fog, etc) with NCS Expert or similar software. Most of us can give you a hand when you're ready.

holyc0w
02-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys

The wheel next to the illumination wheel you ask asking about about is a manual headlight adjuster used in Europe. Since I had the self leveling Xenon, I wanted a specific LCM faceplate. Auto position, illumination wheel, front and rear fog only. The same one ELCID86 shows in his post.

Just remember, when you change your LCM you will need to match the VIN and mileage to your cluster to avoid the tamper dot. It is easy with PA Soft 1.4 so make sure to order that software suite and cable too for your retrofit. You will also need to program your new LCM to your car with the features you want (BFD, triple blink, double impulse hazards, rear fog, etc) with NCS Expert or similar software. Most of us can give you a hand when you're ready.

Can it be assumed that without the manual leveling switch, it auto-levels or do they have one without the switch or auto-level?

Hmm...I don't really need triple blink or do I. I think I would do a quadruple blink.

Overboost
02-11-2017, 09:07 AM
What is your current headlight setup? Xenon or Halogen? Cars in US with Xenon had the auto leveling. For Xenon, you will want a 2006 M3 LCM to start. Then add the European rear fog face plate without leveling wheel like I did. I programmed mine with 5 blinks and will see how I like it. I also thought about 4 blinks but my lane changes are truly suited to my age, slow and steady... I chose 5 blinks.

Jump on this auto light module if you have halogen headlights. It is a .C37 SW 4.5. Under $35.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-AUTOMATIC-HEAD-LAMP-FOG-LIGHT-SWITCH-LKM-LCM-325i-328i-330i-Ci-Xi-M3-BMW-/201811063464?hash=item2efce072a8:g:GbQAAOSwopRYmmS d&vxp=mtr

Then go with this module and use the face plate only. This is the exact route I took and I only have SW4.0. Jealous!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-3ies-LCM-AUTOMATIC-XENON-HEADLIGHT-LIGHT-SWITCH-UNIT-LIGHTING-FOGLAMPS-/271884330005?fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item3f4d91a415:g:umYAAOSw4GVYPtaY&vxp=mtr

holyc0w
02-11-2017, 11:38 AM
I have a 2004 330i with xenons. RealOEM shows a production date of 10/2003. I think that could make it a 3.56 or 3.6.

Overboost
02-11-2017, 03:31 PM
So the rear fog and BFD is not a problem. Triple blink and double impulse hazards will require at least C36 SW4.0. If TerraPhantm has time, I think he has the ability to flash a SW3.6 to SW4.0/4.5.

holyc0w
02-11-2017, 04:34 PM
BP actually coded the BFD and double impulse hazards for me, and I declined the rear fog activation.

az3579
02-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Triple blink and double impulse hazards will require at least C36 SW4.0.
Don't forget the ability to have rear daytime running lights. :)

Overboost
02-11-2017, 06:14 PM

:word Werd! I just noticed my rank has been advanced to Soldier! Sweet!

derbo
02-11-2017, 07:05 PM

That is probably my favorite thing on the 4.5 LCM. :) I have rear DRL + city lights as front DRL.

terraphantm
02-11-2017, 08:21 PM
So the rear fog and BFD is not a problem. Triple blink and double impulse hazards will require at least C36 SW4.0. If TerraPhantm has time, I think he has the ability to flash a SW3.6 to SW4.0/4.5.

Triple blink needs 4.0+, but double impulse can be done on all of them.

And yeah, I can flash a 3.6 to 4.0/4.5. And I could theoretically change the CPU on a 3.56 and flash that to 4.5 as well (the CPUs are about $15-20 a piece at mouser and are pin compatible with the ones on the 3.56 LCMs). But 3.6 LCMs are cheap enough and a CPU swap is labor intensive enough that it probably makes more sense to just buy a 3.6.

Overboost
02-11-2017, 10:17 PM
I jumped on that SW4.5 Halogen LCM on eBay from my post above. I know someone will need it eventually and it was just too cheap. $36.00 with shipping.

ELCID86
02-12-2017, 05:14 AM
^Good grab.

derbo
02-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Here is a nice cheap LCM with rear fog and auto. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262799840604?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

holyc0w
02-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Can it be pretty certain that I have 3.6? I'm guessing one of the pieces of software required would tell me the version of my LCM? (versus removing the LCM)

anandoc
02-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Can it be pretty certain that I have 3.6? I'm guessing one of the pieces of software required would tell me the version of my LCM? (versus removing the LCM)

If you plug in PA Soft, it will tell you the HW/SW version of your LCM.

derbo
02-12-2017, 03:27 PM

You can also remove the trim and 1 philips screw and pull the LCM out to see the barcode sticker if you don't have PA Soft.

terraphantm
02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
If you have a 2004 or 2005, it's 99% to be a 3.6
If you have a 2003, it's probably a 3.56

Overboost
02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Maybe Terra knows. I have a halogen SW4.5 automatic LCM laying around but holyc0w has Xenons. I believe the module I have will not have the auto level circuitry needed for his car, is that correct?

anandoc
02-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Maybe Terra knows. I have a halogen SW4.5 automatic LCM laying around but holyc0w has Xenons. I believe the module I have will not have the auto level circuitry needed for his car, is that correct?

Correct:

This is correct. The auto-leveling is extra circuitry, which I believe is what is represented by "dyn" on the LCM label.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?14805-LCM-Software-Update-to-4-5-Enable-Triple-Flash-(and-more)!-70-core&p=409057#post409057

terraphantm
02-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Correct. The exception is if the LCM is going into a facelift coupe. Those have the adaptive headlights, which control horizontal and vertical aim with a separate module altogether. So those will work fine without the extra circuitry (it would however be a good idea to keep the faceplate from the original LCM since those have a green LED that indicates whether or not the adaptive functionality is operating).

Overboost
02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
That's exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks Terra. That LCM resold before it ever even arrived here. I knew someone could use it.

holyc0w
02-19-2017, 12:48 PM
It's a 3.6

Will any of the lower versions w/ autoleveling work on my car while this one is shipped out?

holyc0w
03-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Faceplate has arrived. Which software and version do I need to get to code the rear fog?

Overboost
03-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Put the faceplate on and see if it lights up when you press the rear fog button. Sedans should already have the wiring. Mine lit up one of the tail lights and I used NCS Expert to code the proper ones.

holyc0w
03-05-2017, 09:33 AM
It lights up the dash, but not the taillights.

az3579
03-05-2017, 09:54 AM
It lights up the dash, but not the taillights.
You have to enable the feature via coding.

holyc0w
03-05-2017, 10:01 AM
You have to enable the feature via coding.

I got that part, and remember when you told me about enabling this at the reunion. :rofl

Where do I get the software? And are there any guides and videos I should read/watch to familiarize myself, before I start asking questions?

anandoc
03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
I got that part, and remember when you told me about enabling this at the reunion. :rofl

Where do I get the software? And are there any guides and videos I should read/watch to familiarize myself, before I start asking questions?

You need to buy the cable. The software will come with the cable with very easy to follow install instructions. I bought mine from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-Diagnostic-cable-INPA-Ediabas-DIS-v57-SSS-v32-Progman-GT1-/231931285961?hash=item36002e91c9:g:7uUAAOSwwE5WZW8 Y

Here is a starters guide on how to use NCS Expert:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1800496-Dummies-Guide-to-Basic-coding-with-NCS-Expert

Goodluck!

Overboost
03-05-2017, 05:32 PM
NCS Expert now.

derbo
03-06-2017, 02:11 PM

I have a shared document on Google Drive that is all the settings I set on my car via NCSexpert. :) Feel free to browse it for anything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yadXgoWLtVpJq0TDfXlE99qMPTlH5f7Tn2B45gbSuQA/edit?usp=sharing

anandoc
03-06-2017, 04:15 PM
I have a shared document on Google Drive that is all the settings I set on my car via NCSexpert. :) Feel free to browse it for anything.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yadXgoWLtVpJq0TDfXlE99qMPTlH5f7Tn2B45gbSuQA/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for sharing - quite an extensive list!