PDA

View Full Version : Proyecto Coupe de Lanister

Pages : [1] 2

Lanister
09-26-2013, 11:06 AM
All right--here's my project thread, where I shall document my adventures with my Wunder-Auto. :roundel

To start, here's a photo the day I picked up and drove her home down highway 1--along the Pacific Coast. It was a very good day. :biggrin

Basics

- 2005 330Ci - Sparkling Graphite Metallic (produced on 11/10/2004)
- VIN: PL16086
- Production plant location: Regensburg, Germany
- Auto
- California vehicle
- Clean title
- Gray Leather + Alcantara wheel and boots
- ZHP package (with TPMS, Xenons, and BMW assist options)

Modifications:

- Dinan CAI (box type)
- OEM Aux input
- DICE iPod integration
- Tinted windows (50f/35r)
- De-badged
- Color-matched front bumper reflectors
- Black OEM BMW kidney grills
- M3 floor mats
- Front plate delete

Maintenance history:

- Front Control Arm bushings replaced @ 63k
- Valve Cover Gasket @ 68.7k (2/3/11)
- Both front window regulators replaced @ 68.7k (2/3/11)
- Cooling system overhaul (thermostat, water pump, hoses, expansion tank, transmission thermostat) @ 73k
- New belts @ 73k
- New rear tires @ 73k
- New OEM battery @ 73k
- New starter @ 87k
- Alignment @ 87k
- New front tires @ 88k
- Religious oil changes every 10k

Original (to me) Issues: - all fixed

- Came with only one key that doesn't quite work :guns
- Failed driver leather seat backrest corner stitching :foottap
- Dried up and cracked rear side window rubber trim :eyetwitch
- Dried up and cracked windshield lower rubber cover :facepalm
- Dried up glue on A/B/C pillars :eek
- Cracked dead pedal panel :)N
- Mildly smelly A/C :mad

Change Log:

- 08/13/13 - @88.7k - Initial purchase
- 08/20/13 - @88.8k - Repaired the driver seat backrest failed stitching - Documented in this DYI (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10873-Leather-seat-backrest-corner-stitching-DYI)
- 08/21/13 - @88.9k - Installed BMW stainless steel, matte black, plain rear licence plate cover Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xztces1whed2ptf/2013-08-21%2019.40.37.jpg)
- 08/21/13 - @88.9k - Got 2 new keys - One regular ($160) and one valet ($74 <- got robbed on this one).
- 08/29/13 - @89.5k - Cleaned the AC system with Klima Kleen product - no more smell!
- 08/30/13 - @89.7k - Installed Bimmian smart phone mount
- 09/02/13 - @89.8k - Replaced original spark plugs with 6 x NGK BKR6EQUP
- 09/07/13 - @90.0k - Replaced cracked dead pedal panel with an OEM M3 version - Before (https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5vvzwvi17rsugj/2013-09-07%2016.39.32.jpg) - After (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ga0ukreyntk9c0k/2013-09-07%2016.39.41.jpg)
- 09/07/13 - @90.0k - Replaced the dried up and cracked lower windshield cover - Before - (https://www.dropbox.com/s/liy4ga9m8knbtwz/2013-09-07%2014.38.02.jpg)After (https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3ttwcw5ozfqcso/2013-09-07%2016.40.46.jpg)
- 09/14/13 - @90.1k - Replaced the yellowed-out side blinkers Difference pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/knkfpkxbeohdb0x/2013-09-14%2016.40.52.jpg) - Final result pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e14p5xuz1bixon/2013-09-14%2016.52.37.jpg)
- 09/22/13 - @90.2k - Steering wheel swap from Alcantara to Leather - Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mkvlftuuzx7xtrl/2013-09-22%2017.22.41.jpg)
- 10/05/13 - @90.5k - Quarter panel weather trim replaced - Before Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r5ompd8hrunqc50/KdO4OkfWRW) - After Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ikpa083laz2mhw3/KL0QeLYzM-)
- 10/05/13 - @90.5k - Finisher Side Frame weather trim replaced - (followed this DYI (http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=373831)) - Before Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6r6k9itay156vgt/cV5J49MGj_) - After Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/sc/byf11444r3rnehy/E6w-PWFpcL)
- 10/08/13 - @90.6k - Installed the short Eurotray (I like the coin organizer!), all-weather boot mat, and the first aid kit compartment (more storage space!!!!).
- 10/08/13 - @90.6k - Got my OBDII suite (INPA, DIS, SSS, NCSexpert) - well worth the $40
- 10/12/13 - @90.7k - Re-installed A, B, and C pillars. A is brand new due to the airbag strip fitment. B and C were re-upholstered. So nice.
- 10/13/13 - @90.7k - Replaced the old alcantara fabric shift and handbrake boots with leather alternative with (tri-color) M stitching.
- 10/16/13 - @90.9k - Upgraded the Light Control Module (LCM) with a new one running software version 4.0 - One-Touch Triple Blink + Euro Hazard lights.
- 11/23/13 - @92.2k - Replaced the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG)
- 11/24/13 - @92.2k - Replaced the Oil Separator Valve and plumbing (aka CVV)
- 11/24/13 - @92.2k - Replaced dipstick o-ring seal, idle control valve (ICV) rubber grommet, throttle body gasket.
- 11/24/13 - @92.2k - New upper and lower intake boots.
- 11/27/13 - @92.2k - Installed the trap door on the reinforcement plate's oil drain opening.
- 11/30/13 - @92.3k - Replaced the steering coupler with BMW OEM
- 11/30/13 - @92.3k - Changed oil to Mobil 1 5w30 + OEM filter/housing gasket/drain plug washer
- 12/03/13 - @92.3k - Replaced the Guibo (Flexdisk) and self-locking bolt nuts (x6) with OEM
- 12/05/13 - @92.3k - Changed the auto transmission fluid with Redline D4 ATF, along with new filter, sump gasket, and drain/filler plugs.
- 12/06/13 - @92.3k - Changed the rear differential fluid with Redline 75W90.
- 12/06/13 - @92.3k - Installed ECS 10mm spacers on the rear - lovin' the new stance!
- 12/08/13 - @92.5k - Professional headlight restoration complete
- 12/08/13 - @92.7k - Installed ///M strut tower brace
- 12/15/13 - @92.7k - Installed smoke Lamin-x headlight protectors
- 12/19/13 - @92.7k - Removed the old sand-blasted fog lights and installed Khoalty clear ///M fogs with yellow Lamin-x protection and 3500k yellow halogen bulbs
- 12/20/13 - @92.7k - Installed ///M transmission mounts
- 12/20/13 - @92.7k - Driveshaft re-manufacture with a new u-joint, new csb, and new cv-joint
- 01/05/14 - @93.0k - Mechanical fan delete
- 01/05/14 - @93.0k - Front bumper mesh pained with flat black
- 01/07/14 - @93.1k - Replaced old yellowing interior light bulbs with a Ziza LED kit
- 01/11/14 - @93.1k - Replaced rear license plate lights with Khoalty LED bulbs with heat sinks
- 01/19/14 - @93.3k - New AKG street performance Front Control Arm Bushings (FCABs)
- 02/14/14 - @93.9k - New battery, Duralast 94R-DLG - production date (2/14) - 3 year full warranty + 2 year prorated warranty
- 03/08/14 - @94.1k - Installed the German Auto Solutions (G.A.S) coolant expansion tank cap. (1.2 bar rating)
- 08/23/14 - @97.9k - Replaced the cabin air filter with MANN charcoal activated type
- 09/28/14 - @98.1k - Upgraded the OEM business stereo to an AVIN Avant-2 OEM-form-factor Android-based double din deck - more info here (https://avinusa.com/bmw-e46-avant2-full-android-multimedia-navigation-system.html)
- 12/13/14 - @100.1k - Replaced front end links with brand new OEM
- 12/21/14 - @100.3k - Changed oil to Mobil 1 5w30 + OEM filter/housing gasket/drain plug washer. Inspected the motor underneath--no leaks!

- More on the way :)

derbo
09-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Looking good so far.

You have DICE and AUX? How does that work? I thought they bought go into the same radio input?

Lanister
09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Looking good so far.

You have DICE and AUX? How does that work? I thought they bought go into the same radio input?

The DICE unit (along with cable) are in the trunk and the Aux is where the heated seat button would be. Frankly, I am not keen on the DICE unit. Its location is not the best and I'm not an Apple user so it's sitting there doing nothing. I might just pull it out and sell it.

I am working on a pretty neat Android hook-up solution tough. Nothing fancy but just quite optimal and functional.

PirateZHP
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
In for Android solution...

Giya, beautiful car. I look forward to seeing the progress!

trancenation
09-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Dice uses the CD changer input and oem aux uses the spare port on the radio harness.

Lanister
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Updated the change log with things done to date.

Got a few things lined up, just waiting for shipments to arrive:

- BMW Performance strut brace install
- Rear window side trim replacement
- A-pillar replacement (go away loose socks!)
- Euro tray
- First aid kit compartment
- All-weather rubber boot mat
- BMW OBD USB Diagnostic Cable & Software (INPA EDIABAS DIS V57 SSS V32)

az3579
09-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Awesome thread title!
This one's a young pup! I like the style in which you posted your improvements. :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
09-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Very nicely done man. Very nice... Keep it up!

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro.BOOM

derbo
09-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a good start Giya!

Personally I loved the DICE radio unit version but I removed it after I got a iphone5. Now it's just sitting around..

Where did you source a BMW Perf Bar?

Lanister
09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm sure that the DICE unit is nice. But being an Android user, it's not being used.

As for the performance strut bar, I got it from Bill. (illirep)

Sent from outer space...

derbo
09-28-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm sure that the DICE unit is nice. But being an Android user, it's not being used.

As for the performance strut bar, I got it from Bill. (illirep)

Sent from outer space...

I'm curious on your setup for android. I want a line out from an android but haven't see a preamp setup yet.

I've been thinking getting dev moto x.

But back on topic,

Looking great :)

Sent by Mobile

Lanister
09-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Derek,

My setup will be fairly simple. All focused around a single cable. I hate it when there're too many cables. I do think that a deck upgrade is a good idea for the future. For basic tunes, I like bluetooth music streaming. Just get in the car, your phone links up and you start playing music and control it with the steering wheel buttons. All the while, your phone is in your pocket. I tried it once with the new Ford Escape and I am hooked. Anything less is a pain. :)

Lanister
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Going to attempt to do the following DYIs

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=373831

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=281593

Started on the rear window lower trim. Yeah, definitely need a heat gun for this job. Adhesive remover alone doesn't quite cut it; and too much of it gives you a headache. Can't wait to get it all done.

derbo
09-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Derek,

My setup will be fairly simple. All focused around a single cable. I hate it when there're too many cables. I do think that a deck upgrade is a good idea for the future. For basic tunes, I like bluetooth music streaming. Just get in the car, your phone links up and you start playing music and control it with the steering wheel buttons. All the while, your phone is in your pocket. I tried it once with the new Ford Escape and I am hooked. Anything less is a pain. :)

I agree. My Prius has the same option, and charging cable is all I connect to the phone.

Only reason I ask, is that I like to keep the factory headunit for aesthetics. Another reason is that the bmw diagnostic software doesn't like missing modules..ie. Radio or Seat module.

Lanister
10-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Hmm I had no idea that BMW diagnostics are not keen on missing modules. It makes sense actually since I've had to deal with slight complications of this kind with my new head unit in my VW Eurovan GLS VR6.

I do like the stock head unit for its looks and decent quality but it does have its limitations. I think the single Android cable solution will suffice. That said, another functionality I was hoping to gain is the rear view camera. So this makes me wonder if an OEM NAV unit retrofit is a feasible solution, since, I would assume, it would support the rear view camera functionality and also keep the BMW diagnostics happy. What do you think?

derbo
10-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Hmm I had no idea that BMW diagnostics are not keen on missing modules. It makes sense actually since I've had to deal with slight complications of this kind with my new head unit in my VW Eurovan GLS VR6.

I do like the stock head unit for its looks and decent quality but it does have its limitations. I think the single Android cable solution will suffice. That said, another functionality I was hoping to gain is the rear view camera. So this makes me wonder if the OEM NAV unit retrofit is a feasible solution, since, I would assume, it would support the rear view camera functionality and also keep the BMW diagnostics happy. What do you think?

BMW Dealership-level diagnostics doesn't like missing modules for programming things like Car key memory. However, NCSexpert can do everything manually without the complaining and whining the BMW diagnostics does.

OEM NAV, IMO is complicated installation for an outdated system I wouldn't even bother to use. The smartphones have more update to date maps and inputing the address is far easier on the phone that on the Nav System. I think its not worth it. But since you are using it for a rear view camera screen, it may be worth it. You should talk to Charlie about that one. I remember he did something with his OEM Nav to incooperate a rear view camera.

As for the android single cable solution, I wish there was like a similar solution with steering wheel controls on the BMW. It's going to be difficult to get this setup.

Im looking for a line-out solution from the android. Not the headphone jack but a real line-out (pre-amp). I dont think it exists. :(

Lanister
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM
There is a special cable that is kind of rare because only this company (iBolt) makes it. This is the cable I want to incorporate into my setup. I know it works as I've tried it. What I want to do is connect usb and audio jack behind the console so that only the microUSB is coming out to my bimmian celly mount. I will also be preserving my aux in, which is where the heated seat button usually is. It should be fairly simple and inexpensive.

Here's the link to the cable:

http://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-Samsung-Charge-Cable--microUSB/dp/B009PN6APM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380664711&sr=8-1&keywords=ibolt+cable

It works with my Galaxy S3 and I'm sure S4 as well. I wouldn't know about other Android phones though.

PirateZHP
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
There is a special cable that is kind of rare because only this company (iBolt) makes it. This is the cable I want to incorporate into my setup. I know it works as I've tried it. What I want to do is connect usb and audio jack behind the console so that only the microUSB is coming out to my bimmian celly mount. I will also be preserving my aux in, which is where the heated seat button usually is. It should be fairly simple and inexpensive.

Here's the link to the cable:

http://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-Samsung-Charge-Cable--microUSB/dp/B009PN6APM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380664711&sr=8-1&keywords=ibolt+cable

It works with my Galaxy S3 and I'm sure S4 as well. I wouldn't know about other Android phones though.

Giya... make this work. I'm pumped about this!

Lanister
10-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Upholstery time. Because the A pillars are tricky to get right so that the cover strip fits properly, I decided to buy new A pillars and reupholster B and C. I tried doing it myself before and wasn't happy with results. The local car upholstery shop will match the fabric and do it right for only $50.

Sent from outer space...

Lanister
10-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Matt,

It's definitely on my list of things to do. Once I get done with the immediate maintenance items, I'll get back to getting my android wired up.

derbo
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Looking good Giya.

I am skeptical it will work with other androids.. but who knows?! :shrug

Lanister
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Derek,

I guess we'll have to see. Most latest android phones should be using the same miroUSB port. What Android do you have?

derbo
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I have a moto x

sent from my mobile device

Lanister
10-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok, finally was able to finish off the project to replace a few pieces of weathered trim. Namely, the quarter panel weather trim and the finisher side frame trim. Both have dried up and cracked. Although none of them were critical for keeping the water out of the interior, it bugged the hell out of me from the day I got the car. The nightmare myths of double-sided tape that just won't come off turned out to be true. After shedding a few layers of skin on my fingers, I decided to look into other solutions. Goof Off and similar products were useless and so was the heat gun. Luckily, there is a very cool solution by 3M, called the Stripe Off Wheel. It is designed precisely for these types of applications. This tool simply made my day, as I was able to get the tape off in about 10 minutes tops. It acts like a pencil eraser and causes a good deal of fine flakes so close the windows and tape up the seams or you will be seeing it for days.

Here's the link to the product. It's definitely a must have.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-Mandrel-Diameter/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381039423&sr=8-1&keywords=3M+pin+stripe+off

Prep work took the longest. It took me a bit to find the right weather stripping material for the side finisher frame as it is not sold separately. Luckily, Autozone had the right stuff for $9.99. Sure beats the standard solution of buying new side finisher frames at $400 per side. The whole job must have taken me 4 hours but it would normally take less. I took my sweet time to measure everything and thoroughly clean the hidden areas. Very happy with how it all came out. Now the car feels like it just rolled off the showroom floor (I WISH). :)

Updated the before and after pics in the first post. Here're a few pics from the process...

Surgery underway

3M Stripe Off Wheel in action

It's working!!! Never using my hands to remove nasty industrial tape again. The wheel is designed to preserve the paint perfectly.

It makes a mess so tape up your seams and close the windows!

Lanister
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Eurotray replaced the old and semi-useless cup holders. The coin organizer is actually pretty nice, as I don't have to hear the change rattle. Funny enough though, if I move back to Canada, it will have to go because the one and two dollar coins are way bigger and won't fit the slots.

Lanister
10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Got the OBDII cable and software suite (DIS, SSS, INPA, NCSexpert) sorted out. Wasn't too hard to get it all working although, expectantly, it wasn't exactly a plug and play either.

Was able to check all the error codes and clear the silly driver airbag light that I caused during the steering wheel swap. Interestingly, the computer had a few non-important historical codes that dated back to when the car had 12,xxx miles. Also used SSS to code a couple of useful settings:

- Unlocking both doors with one remote key button press (boy it was annoying before)
- Automatic re-locking after 2 minutes if no doors were open after initial unlock

Going to try to enable automatic closing of windows and sunroof when I lock the doors and hold the button down.

Then on to NCSexpert to code HIGH and LOW climate control indicators, and whatever else I might find handy as I learn more. Not sure if the triple turn signal blink is in my horoscope, as my LCM was born a year too soon and thus is of the earlier software version.

derbo
10-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Got the ODBII cable and software suite (DIS, SSS, INPA, NCSexpert) sorted out. Wasn't too hard to get it all working although, expectantly, it wasn't exactly a plug and play either.

Was able to check all the error codes and clear the silly driver airbag light that I caused during the steering wheel swap. Interestingly, the computer had a few non-important historical codes that dated back to when the car had 12,xxx miles. Also used SSS to code a couple of useful settings:

- Unlocking both doors with one remote key button press (boy it was annoying before)
- Automatic re-locking after 2 minutes if no doors were open after initial unlock

Going to try to enable automatic closing of windows and sunroof when I lock the doors and hold the button down.

Then on to NCSexpert to code HIGH and LOW climate control indicators, and whatever else I might find handy as I learn more. Not sure if the triple turn signal blink is in my horoscope, as my LCM was born a year too soon and thus is of the earlier software version.

Glad you got it working so fast!

These are my settinsg, if you are interested. Some may not apply to you.

ALSZ
BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Crash warning blinker impulse speed.
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Hazard lights impulse speed.
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog lights turn off when high beams are on.
SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01 / wert_02 wert_01=bixenon and halogen together.
BFD_SW1_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?
BFD_SW2_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW1_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW2_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
BFD_ABS_STUFE3 - aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
BLST1_BLST3 - aktiv Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well
GM5
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB aktiv Comfort close remote – vert top, sunroof
SPIEGELMEMORY_GM aktiv Allows mirror to be adjusted while in reverse
MAUT_N_ABBRECH_N_TUER_AUF aktiv Windows continue to open/close when you open the door
MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM aktiv / nicht_aktiv adjust rear view backup tilt
VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H aktiv / nicht_aktiv Autolock when moving
VERRIEGELUNGSSCHEWELLE 8_km/h auto-lock (4 8 12 20 24 28) Speed of Autolock
CYCL_TI_BLK driemal One Touch Indicators, triple blink

IHK
DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “HIGH” instead of number on hottest setting.
DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “LOW” instead of number on coolest setting.
HHS_AUTOMATIK aktiv / nicht_aktiv Auto Rear Window Defroster

EWS
PARK/NEUTRAL_EINGANG aktiv / nicht_aktiv Start in park/neutral only.

Lanister
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks Derek!

I just love all this German lingo... NICHT!!!! LOL

I can already see a few I'm going to be entertaining.

I see you've got the line for the triple blink... did you get a new LCM?

MAUT_N_ABBRECH_N_TUER_AUF aktiv Windows continue to open/close when you open the door <--- YES PLEASE

derbo
10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
NP Giya,

I dont have a 4.0 but I kept the settings I felt most important to me in case I needed to revisit the LCM again.

WOLFN8TR
10-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread beings you have the same car as mine! Nice work by the way. Those rear window trims pieces are a beouch to replace, I did both of mine. Leaving the car sit out in 110 degree heat for a few hours helped a lot.

A few things I've done that really improved my ZHP are:

- Sprint Booster V2
- GAS DISA
- Besian VANOS
- Eonon 5150
- Mechanical Fan Delete

Keep up the good work!

Lanister
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread beings you have the same car as mine! Nice work by the way. Those rear window trims pieces are a beouch to replace, I did both of mine. Leaving the car sit out in 110 degree heat for a few hours helped a lot.

A few things I've done that really improved my ZHP are:

- Sprint Booster V2
- GAS DISA
- Besian VANOS
- Eonon 5150
- Mechanical Fan Delete

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Gary, I definitely have VANOS, DISA, CVV planned first. Sprint Booster is nice to have but I'll probably end up doing that too.

I hear the mechanical fan delete is a very welcome mod.

WOLFN8TR
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Ya the fan delete was well worth it. Makes working on the car much easier. I survived one really Hot Vegas summer with no issues at all. I have the UltraGauge to monitor the cooling temps also. We did JohnRandos Auto ZHP also back in August.

Lanister
10-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Another excitement. The BMW Performance rotors came in the mail today. Probably will be a while before I can install them but feels good nonetheless. :drool

Lanister
10-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Ah yes, finally the garage remodeling project is complete!!! :rockon

To some this may seem trivial but for me it has been a major project. When I bought the zhp back in August, my garage was far from being able to host a car. It was full of surfboards, bikes, random stuff, and lacked general organization--because, frankly, it didn't really need it. With blazing California sun and winter rains well on their way, I knew that there's no way in hell that my zhp would live outside. Not a chance. So slowly but surely I worked on re-designing my man-cave to make it happen. I ended up building some custom shelving and making sure everything is seismically secure, since we are prone to earth quakes here. A lot of reorganization and sorting followed by a trip to the land-fill (no motorcycles were thrown out) and voila!!!

It really feels good to be able to have a place where I can store and actually do some work on the car. Feeling pretty accomplished. :) :happydane

Here're a series of progression shots from how it was to what it is today.

Lanister
10-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Bit of an arts and crafts day. The leather tri shift and handbrake boots came in from UK yesterday. I was foolish to think it would take a few minutes to install. Took me about an hour and a half to get it cleaned up gluded up and installed. Very happy with the finish over old alcantara pieces.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/14/yjavygen.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/14/vyhybudy.jpg

Sent from outer space...

Avetiso
10-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Glue? Why glue?

Hermes
10-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Prob to attach it to the plastic pieces that lock it in place

ELCID86
10-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Very nice. Ditto on the glue question.

Lanister
10-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Hermes is correct, the boots mount to plastic frames. They're attached with glue. So it took detaching the old boots from the frames, cleaning the old glue off and gluing the new boots on. I have say that the cut of the new boots was very precise so it made it easy to line everything up.

I should also mention that I wasn't impressed with the way the old boots were on. They used too much glue and it was all over the place. Not that it functionaly matters, but still.

Sent from outer space...

johnrando
10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Congrats. Glad you like 'em. That's 3 of us with that set now.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Lanister
10-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your input on these John :)

It's definitely a great bang for the buck.

Congrats. Glad you like 'em. That's 3 of us with that set now.

Lanister
10-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks to Mr. Joop! The LCM SW version 4.0 is now happily running in my ZHP. Triple blink and euro-style (heart beat) hazard lights are active and I'm happy as a clam! :grooving

The version of my old LCM was 3.6 (close)

The swap took a whole of 10 minutes, including some detailing under the trim.

Funny, after firing up the SSS software to go over some other settings I have noticed a new entry that wasn't there before (see pic below)

JupiterBMW
10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
:thumbsup

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

330i ZHP
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
paint your garage :)

Lanister
10-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Stuart, perhaps when I buy my own house :) This garage comes with the 1br I'm renting so I'll have to deal with ugly walls for now. :)

330i ZHP
10-16-2013, 07:53 PM
gotcha

Lanister
10-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Really digging the added utility of the euro tray, what a great upgrade!

derbo
10-21-2013, 12:58 AM
It is a fantastic replacement for the terrible cupholders in the e46.

sent from a Moto X

WOLFN8TR
10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks to Mr. Joop! The LCM SW version 4.0 is now happily running in my ZHP. Triple blink and euro-style (heart beat) hazard lights are active and I'm happy as a clam! :grooving

The version of my old LCM was 3.6 (close)

The swap took a whole of 10 minutes, including some detailing under the trim.

Funny, after firing up the SSS software to go over some other settings I have noticed a new entry that wasn't there before (see pic below)

How sweet! What all does it take to upgrade your LCM software to 4.0?

Lanister
10-21-2013, 11:44 AM
How sweet! What all does it take to upgrade your LCM software to 4.0?

Gary, it's essentially takes a whole new LCM. There is no actual software upgrade path/method that we're aware of. LCM version 4.0 and later (note: there're no known benefits with higher versions over 4.0) started coming with e46 models made in 2006 (or maybe late 2005 but I'm not sure on that). It's basically a matter of searching through junk yards for matching donors. The good part is that the version is stickered on the side of the LCM so you can work with junk yards over the phone on this. Going through the dealer could get spendy. Then there's a bit of coding required as well but it's pretty easy. Other than that, it's a 10 minute swap.

Funny, I drove my surfer van to work today instead of my zhp and was pretty annoyed with the lack of triple blink function. LOL

derbo
10-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I simulate triple blink with my hand untill i get one. :) LOL

PirateZHP
10-21-2013, 04:21 PM

+1 I do this ALL the time... you wouldn't even know I don't actually have triple blink! :rofl

az3579
10-21-2013, 06:35 PM

That came out wrong... no pun intended. :rofl

Lanister
10-21-2013, 06:44 PM

You have too much talent, my friend :)

+1 I do this ALL the time... you wouldn't even know I don't actually have triple blink! :rofl

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself $200

That came out wrong... no pun intended. :rofl

Someone's mind is in the gutter ;)

derbo
10-21-2013, 10:12 PM
LOL

Sent from a Moto X

az3579
10-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Someone's mind is in the gutter ;)

So that's where it went... I lost it a while ago and have been looking for it ever since.

cakM3
10-22-2013, 04:19 AM
...OEM NAV, IMO is complicated installation for an outdated system I wouldn't even bother to use. The smartphones have more update to date maps and inputing the address is far easier on the phone that on the Nav System. I think its not worth it. But since you are using it for a rear view camera screen, it may be worth it. You should talk to Charlie about that one. I remember he did something with his OEM Nav to incooperate a rear view camera.

Actually, you need to talk to Steve (SNA77) about this. He successfully incorporated a rear view camera onto his OE Nav system...he has posted numerous DIYs and I have found most of them very useful while modding both my cars :thumbsup

Here's the link: http://www.bigpatsfans.com/ (http://www.bigpatsfans.com/)

The rear view camera link is the 8th link down from the top. :)

I don't have to simulate one touch-triple blink in either of my cars.....because.....BP :thumbsup

Lanister
10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Thanks Charlie! I'll be sure to have a look. :)

cakM3
10-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Charlie! I'll be sure to have a look. :)

Not a problem Giya! :thumbsup

Pip
11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Just went through this and looks like you're making some good progress :thumbsup. I really need to finish the a pillars on my car.

Lanister
11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Sean :)

I'm starting to feel bad for not spending more time on her but work and school have been killing me lately, hence no recent updates.

Pip
11-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I can understand that. It's a fine balance, but sometimes other things take priority.

derbo
11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
At the end of the day, the ZHP is still an appliance. :P

johnrando
11-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Holy crap Derek! I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that. :biggrin

Avetiso
11-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Holy crap Derek! I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that. :biggrin
+1

Heretic.

derbo
11-21-2013, 02:35 PM
It's my washing machine that gives me a wonderful washing experience.

johnrando
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
lol. true dat.

Lanister
11-21-2013, 05:20 PM
:facepalm

derbo
11-21-2013, 06:28 PM
:facepalm

:slap get ahold of yourself!

Lanister
11-21-2013, 07:32 PM
:cheers

Lanister
11-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Finally got done with the pressing things. The oil separator valve was really bothering me. I did a few tests and saw that the thing wasn't working right. Sudden oil consumption, noises and such. The thing basically failed, as they do at around this mileage. While I was at it, I followed Gary's (WOFN8R) and Derek's (Derbo) advise to replace the oil filter housing gasket. Initially, I was a bit iffy about doubling my workload since I'm very limited on time these days. But I knew that it doing both would make it easier because all of the extra room you get. Needless to say, best advise I've had in a while. You really don't want to be going there more than once in a very long time. When I popped the oil filter housing off, I was shocked to see how badly the gasket had failed. See the pic below for yourself. Cleaning it all took forever. Other than that, I took my time putting it all back together--cleaning everything including throttle body and idle control valve. Also replaced the idle control valve rubber grommet, oil dipstick o-ring seal, and both intake boots. Everything came back together nicely and I didn't end up with any extra parts. The car started right away and didn't appear to show signs of trouble. I say that deserves a beer! :cheers

danewilson77
11-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Well done.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

johnrando
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
+1

derbo
11-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Nice work Giya! I told you it was a good idea to get that OFHG while you were in there! Don't want to waste all that cleaning to see that stupid gasket mess it all up again.

Lanister
11-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks Derek. Honestly, I don't even know how I would do the CCV valve without all the extra room. So glad it's over :)

derbo
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks Derek. Honestly, I don't even know how I would do the CCV valve without all the extra room. So glad it's over :)

Thats a good question. I don't think I would've attempted it without doing the OFHG at the same time. :X

Lanister
11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
I've seen it done though. What was more impressive some is dude doing his OFHG without taking off the fan. I really wonder how he managed to torque the alternator bolts down with barely any room. :scratchinghead

derbo
11-25-2013, 12:31 PM
I've seen it done though. What was more impressive some is dude doing his OFHG without taking off the fan. I really wonder how he managed to torque the alternator bolts down with barely any room. :scratchinghead

magically u joints?

Lanister
11-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Yep, magic! :)

echo46
11-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Indeed, it's magic.

echo46
11-25-2013, 02:19 PM
At the end of the day, the ZHP is still an appliance. :P

That actually hurt my heart when I read it.

derbo
11-25-2013, 03:01 PM
That actually hurt my heart when I read it.

Its the best appliance I ever owned. :)

And it was a joke related to the washing machine article on jalopnik

Lanister
11-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Came home to find a box from ECS :applause2

Guibo, CLB, steering coupler, oil filter, bottom engine cover window door.

Now I need a friend with a lift :)

330i ZHP
11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
drive on over

derbo
11-26-2013, 10:03 AM
drive on over

#iseewhatyoudidthere

sent from a Moto X

Lanister
11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
drive on over

Such a tease :jealous

330i ZHP
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
:)

Lanister
11-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Cleaned the under-side of the car. It was pretty filthy from the OFHG leak and installed the little door that covers the oil drain bolt area. Finally get to drive it tomorrow! :roundel

Borrowed this pic from another member but this is exactly what it looks like installed.

WOLFN8TR
11-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Nice! :chuck

Lanister
11-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Replaced the old steering coupler. The old one had noticeable play in it but not as much as I thought. I guess the steering wheel amplifies it a bit. Other than that, it looks just fine and rubber doesn't seem degraded; at least on the outside. I reckon I'll take a dremel tool to it and see what rubber looks on the inside. This should serve as a good guide as to whether hammering rivets is worth while.

Also changed the oil. Fresh oem filter. Detailed the bottom of the engine, engine cover and reinforcement panel from ofhg oil. Working under the car sucks. Just sayin`

Sent from outer space...

derbo
11-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Nice! Working under the car only sucks when don't have a lift :(

sent from Moto X

Lanister
12-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Flying high! Center support bearing (CSB) and guibo replacement project is under way. The plan also includes AT oil change when the exhaust is off. Bit more room to work with. Word on the street, getting old AT oil on the exhaust means mean stench for days. Will top it off after exhaust is back on and car is running.

Pretty happy this is a California car. No rust to corrosion to deal with.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/yru4uhe4.jpg

Sent from outer space...

Avetiso
12-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Front grill still not painted. :facepalm

derbo
12-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Oh Dario is dissapointed.

sent from Moto X

Lanister
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Front grill still not painted. :facepalm

Calamity :facepalm

Lanister
12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Replaced the CSB/Guibo last night. This also involved new guibo bolt self-locking nuts (x6), new butyl tape, and a new intermediate ring. The centering sleeve looked very good so I didn't replace it. Lowering the exhaust on my own was especially entertaining. Took about 6 hours overall but I did take my time with it to make sure I can put it back together correctly.

Big thanks to LivesNearCostco for his excellent DYI (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9412-DIY-replacing-guibo-(flexdisc)-and-or-driveshaft-center-support-bearing-(CSB)).

Bit of a PIA without a lift but not too bad when you have all the right tools and just enough room under the car. My friend lent me his truck-grade 4-ton stands so I could almost break dance under there (NOT!).

What was surprising is that the rubber around the bearing wasn't broken up like I've seen in other people's reports. The the movement of the drive shaft was so limited that, at first, I thought of not replacing the CSB at all. But after taking a closer look, the rubber showed cracks in the flex areas. Moreover, the bearing had about a 0.5mm play in it, which probably contributed to the mild drive-train hum while driving on a highway.

Quick video (https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n6ozorhbq7nake/2013-12-03%2019.31.54.mp4)

The bearing wouldn't come off by hand so I had to cut off the housing and pull it with jaw-pullers. It popped right off then.

Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l5f8yxamgxzalb/2013-12-03%2021.28.05.jpg)

I pressed the new bearing on by hand about 1/4 of the way and then finished it by bolting down the front half of the shaft. Big note, make sure you have an 18mm ratcheting wrench for this. Must have!

Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sgijra12v7rzn7/2013-12-03%2022.36.04.jpg)

The rest was just paranoid reassembly to make sure everything goes back the way it was. Not sure if it was needed by I aligned transmission flanges with drive shaft's to match the original relationship. The bolts between transmission and drive shaft sides were same size/grade but different cap color. So I made sure they went back where they came from.

Gave the area a bit of cleaning and put the heat shields back on.

Pic (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnejsgl6vsl378r/2013-12-03%2023.28.05.jpg)

Got my friend helping me to put the exhaust back on this evening and then will take it for a test drive. Fingers crossed, nothing will fall off or blow up. :scratchinghead

ELCID86
12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Glad you got it done. I like the Sharpie arrows!

Lanister
12-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Got the automatic transmission oil/filter/gasket changed last night with the ECS kid (Redline ATF). The sump looked normal for the mileage, no metal debris! The oil was definitely toast. Bit of a messy business but I'm glad it's done. Doing the rear diff this evening and on to the test drive. :D

danewilson77
12-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Oh Dario is dissapointed.

sent from Moto X

:rofl

Lanister
12-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Rear differential fluid change is done, which concludes the drive-train maintenance schedule. Let's hope I won't need to go back under the car for at least 40k miles. This stuff is seriously no fun at all, especially in a cramped tiny garage space. But it sure feels good to be done. It's hauling winds and pissin' rain outside so going to keep her dry and test drive in the morning. Fingers crossed, nothing blows up. :fingerscrossed:roundel:cheers

Avetiso
12-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Good work! Getting some heavy rain here as well.

Lanister
12-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Went for a nice drive this morning. The difference in how transmission shifts and feels is stunning. Everything feels wonderful so far. Great note to kick off the weekend on.

Pleased to change my view from this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/qebuqyvu.jpg

To this...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/y8ezubyt.jpg

Now I can focus on fun stuff like putting on 10mm spacers on the rear.

Sent from outer space...

Avetiso
12-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Great maintenance, Giya! You're making me look bad. :) When finals end, it'll be time to dig in as well.

danewilson77
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Went for a nice drive this morning. The difference in how transmission shifts and feels is stunning Everything feels wonderful so far. Great note to kick off the weekend on.

Pleased to change my view from this

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/qebuqyvu.jpg

To this...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/08/y8ezubyt.jpg

Now I can focus on fun stuff like putting on 10mm spacers on the rear.

Sent from outer space...

I have TMS 10mm spacers if you haven't procured yet.

Lanister
12-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I have TMS 10mm spacers if you haven't procured yet.

Thanks Dane. I've already had set of two ready to go on. At the moment, I am undecided about the fronts as I've heard they alter handling adversely. I need to do a bit of research on that. I'll hit you up if I decide to go with it. 50/50 chance right now.

Just installed the rears and results are very satisfying. Here's a quick snap:

Lanister
12-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Great maintenance, Giya! You're making me look bad. :) When finals end, it'll be time to dig in as well.

School takes precedence! I wrote my finals last week; that's why I've been so productive with my car. But my next class already has started so I'm glad I squeezed it all in. There is no doubt in my mind that you'll catch up on all the due diligence when your finals are over. Looking forward to following your progress.

Pip
12-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Ignore my other post. Just saw the pics with spacers. Looks good!

QC_ZHP
12-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Looking good Giya

derbo
12-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Looks good!

Lanister
12-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Getting my lens restoration did--professionally. Will post results soon. And yes, I've tried the 3M kit, it sucks; at least for the face-lifted coupe headlights.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/09/e8e7a8ag.jpg

Sent from outer space...

PirateZHP
12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm for review. I'm trying to decide if I want it done professionally or if I'm buying new lenses...

ELCID86
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Is he going to clear coat or use film over them?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

Lanister
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Is he going to clear coat or use film over them?
Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

No clear film. The guy was unbelievably experienced at this. In his opinion, he highly advised against clear film, as doesn't really make a difference. According to him, it is there only because of an NTSB mandate and is a nightmare to sand-off. Mind you, maybe an aftermarket film that you can manually peel-off yourself would be a better alternative. Apparently, he's been doing this for the past 4 years and he has yet to see one of his jobs go bad. I thought that's inevitable, especially if you drive on dirty highways a lot but only time will tell. He guarantees his work for 2 years with an option of a free refinish within that time. He was at it for good 2 hours and charged me his standard rate of $60/job.

P.S. so what I got from the guy is that once the OEM clear film has been sanded-off, future re-finishes are very easy and that's when the 3M kit will actually do the job.

Here're the before and after results:

WOLFN8TR
12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Looks Good Giya, they look like new. I bought some tinted Laminx for my headlights. They go well with the SGM and black kidney grilles. Best part is you can peel them off if needed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/10/me3u4u6a.jpg

Lanister
12-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Ohhhhh I like!

Was it a pain to put on? or is there a trick to it?

WOLFN8TR
12-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Not bad at all.

-Clean lights
-Heat up film slightly with a hair dryer. This makes it easier to work with.
-Spray lights with water mixed with a touch of Dawn.
-Apply film and squeegee the excess water out from behind.
-Use a hair dryer to finish.
-The using an exacto knife trim any excess film.

It's just like tinting windows. I got the Laminx from ECSTuning.

derbo
12-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Very nice Giya. The factory film is terrible :\

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Lanister
12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Also had a chance to install the ///M strut brace off of Sean (Pip's) ride. He soon will be sporting the BMW Performance CF bar on his ///M ;)

PirateZHP
12-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Why did you decide to swap the BMW perf bar for the ///M bar?

johnrando
12-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Looks good. You gonna add drawp?

Lanister
12-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Why did you decide to swap the BMW perf bar for the ///M bar?

Frankly, I didn't think that the CF bar belonged on my car. It's just too damn nice. An ///M bar is more appropriate in my mind. I could have put it up on eBay and made a bit of cash on it but Sean was looking to trade his brace+cash for his ///M so I figured I'd hook him up instead. Besides, it compliments his ///M way better than my zhp. I think we're both happy in the end.

Looks good. You gonna add drawp?

Perhaps in time. HR Touring kit is on my mind :)

fredo
12-09-2013, 02:12 PM
What a good deal: $60 for your headlights restoration. I wish I knew about this 9 years ago, when I got my e36. I bought new headlights because the original ones were yellowish. A little expensive, I know. But, man ... I was very happy afterwards.

Lanister
12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
What a good deal: $60 for your headlights restoration. I wish I knew about this 9 years ago, when I got my e36. I bought new headlights because the original ones were yellowish. A little expensive, I know. But, man ... I was very happy afterwards.

I'm actually in a bit of a disbelief of how affordable it is. The guy also makes his way to you, as long as you're within San Jose area.

Lanister
12-14-2013, 09:38 PM
What a treat. Lamin-x has arrived :-)

Sent from outer space...

Lanister
12-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Just ordered some clear fog lights from Khoalty. The shipping was estimated at $17, which I thought was a bit much for a small box. So I took advantage of their free shipping on orders above $100 by throwing in a few MANN oil filters. Guaranteed to use it :)

Lanister
12-19-2013, 09:52 PM
The clear fog lights from Khoalty have come in with 3500k yellow bulbs. Applied yellow lamin-x protection on them and installed. They're ain't no HID bright but definitely brighter than before and obviously cleaner compared to the original sand-blasted ones.

Avetiso
12-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
12-20-2013, 04:58 PM
What a treat. Lamin-x has arrived :-)

Sent from outer space...

Did you get the Headlights done? Tinted?

Lanister
12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Did you get the Headlights done? Tinted?

Hell yea Gary! Came out VERY nice and looks bad-ass! I'll have some pics up soon.

Lanister
12-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Woha, check this out guys. Majorly worn out tranny mount. Appears to be laterally deformed. As a result, it's shorter. This kind of stuff usually chews up the guibo but it was actually in decent shape. Either way, out with the old mounts and in with the ///M upgrade :D

Avetiso
12-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Nice. I think I'm gonna go AKG when I do mine. Not sure if they make it....

Lanister
12-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Ask Derek what he's got. He's got some badass aftermarkets.

Hermes
12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Woha, check this out guys. Majorly worn out tranny mount. Appears to be laterally deformed. As a result, it's shorter. This kind of stuff usually chews up the guibo but it was actually in decent shape. Either way, out with the old mounts and in with the ///M upgrade :D

Mine sheared in half. I freaked out when I realized it

Lanister
12-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Finally resolved the issue with vibrations under medium to heavy acceleration. I've covered it in this thread:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10146-Rumble-Under-Hard-Acceleration-(e46-M3)&highlight=rumble in post #47.

Lanister
01-06-2014, 10:02 AM
It was a nice and warm day yesterday so I pulled the trigger on a couple of tasks. First, I got the front bumper off to spray-paint the mesh grille. Cleaned behind the bumper; there were a few leaves and bugs but not too bad. Love California cars for that. Sprayed the bumper mesh grille and the bracket behind it with flat black as the original black was faded. What a difference.

Second, with the bumper out of the way, I took the opportunity to do the mechanical fan delete mod, which required removal of the old and crappy auxiliary fan located in front of the radiator. Huge thanks for Gary (WOLFN8TR) for his thread development on this mod, as it made it a breeze to do. I was super careful not to break any of the plastic rivets holding the front shroud. WD40 lowered the friction enough for them to not snap upon removal. It was particularly important since I didn't have any spares on me. Mechanical fan came off easy and the cap nut from understeer.com has made for a nice finish. The new electric fan dropped in without a snag. The big grin on my face during the test drive was priceless. :biggrin The difference in engine feel is certainly noticeable and very welcome. :roundel

derbo
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Car is looking damn good Giya.

Mechanical fan delete makes everything else so much easier to access.

Lanister
01-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks Derek!

The thought of easy access also occurred to me afterwards. I remember the pain of dealing with it when I did my OFHG. Never again!

WOLFN8TR
01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Good to see you did the fan delete mod. This is one of the best mods I did for my ZHP. Love the progress you're making on my twin!

ELCID86
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Looking sharp. Reminds me I need to consider doing my mesh grill (and maybe the fan swap).

Lanister
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all your help, Gary.

WOLFN8TR
01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Welcome. Glad to know it helped.

NorCal-Dimitri
01-06-2014, 12:13 PM
Lower grill respray looks great!

Avetiso
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
It's about time! Looks great, and I agree about the aux fan. Worlds better.

Vas
01-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Car looks great.

Lanister
01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys! More exciting news! New OEM end links and Ziza LED kit have arrived. Installed the new trunk bulbs and daym! So much better.

Gonna try to replace the end links this weekend. New swell and a big school paper could push it out another week.

Sent from outer space...

Lanister
01-08-2014, 01:03 AM
The Ziza LED interior lighting kit is in and looking good. :thumbsup

Avetiso
01-08-2014, 01:18 AM
It was a nice and warm day yesterday so I pulled the trigger on a couple of tasks. First, I got the front bumper off to spray-paint the mesh grille. Cleaned behind the bumper; there were a few leaves and bugs but not too bad. Love California cars for that. Sprayed the bumper mesh grille and the bracket behind it with flat black as the original black was faded. What a difference.

Second, with the bumper out of the way, I took the opportunity to do the mechanical fan delete mod, which required removal of the old and crappy auxiliary fan located in front of the radiator. Huge thanks for Gary (WOLFN8TR) for his thread development on this mod, as it made it a breeze to do. I was super careful not to break any of the plastic rivets holding the front shroud. WD40 lowered the friction enough for them to not snap upon removal. It was particularly important since I didn't have any spares on me. Mechanical fan came off easy and the cap nut from understeer.com has made for a nice finish. The new electric fan dropped in without a snag. The big grin on my face during the test drive was priceless. :biggrin The difference in engine feel is certainly noticeable and very welcome. :roundel

:drool My car needs new lenses and a light smoke, I think...

QC_ZHP
01-08-2014, 11:14 AM
New sig is sweet! Love the yellow fogs, I need to jump ship.

Lanister
01-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks! The yellow effect was achieved through a yellow 3500k halogen bulb and yellow Lamin-x protector film. I didn't think it would come out so well so I was planning on doing HID in the future but I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with this set up.

Lanister
01-11-2014, 08:37 PM
So I've been trying to investigate the very mild jerk of the steering wheel when I abruptly hit the brakes. All indicators point in the direction of the FCABs and/or end links. Because the previous owner had replaced the FCAB's about 35k miles ago, I was pretty convinced that my end-links were toast. When I pulled the front wheels today, I was surprised that I couldn't generate any play in the end-links' ball-joints. So I turned my attention to the FCABs and discovered that I could generate mild play in the bushing by simply trying to move the control arm (both sides). So there ya have it. Time for new FCABs.

I've seen a few threads about Z4M FCABs and others about aftermarkets. What would you guys suggest based on your experience?

Also, although my end-links appear to be in good working condition they do have 93k on them. Should I still go ahead and replace them or maybe hold off until they're due? I am not quite sure how long they're supposed to last.

Avetiso
01-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Z4M or AKG street poly seem to be the best options at the moment. When I need to do mine, it will be AKG.

Lanister
01-11-2014, 10:54 PM
So between Z4M and AGK, the benefits are performance only or are they also supposed to last longer?

Avetiso
01-11-2014, 10:57 PM
AKG is poly, and should last longer. Poly can squeak, though. Might need greasing every now and then. It is characteristic of poly bushings to be stiffer, noisier, and to transmit more vibrations, however, AKG says that their bushings will increase none of that, which has been validated by a few users across boards.

I have no experience with them. Justin might chime in, he has a pair.

QC_ZHP
01-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I'm in the same boat. I think I might order a pair of Powerflex FCABs on Monday.

kayger12
01-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Curious if the set that failed after 35k are oem or Meyle. Could easily be either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lanister
01-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Pretty sure they're OEM. The car was under cpo warranty at the time.

Sent from outer space...

kayger12
01-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds about right, unfortunately.

Lanister
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Well, just ordered a set of AKG street bushings pre-pressed. They refund $70 after I return the core. No waste :thumbsup

derbo
01-13-2014, 11:51 AM
That's alot easier :D

QC_ZHP
01-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Giya, did you get the 85A AKG FCABs? #FCN466A ?

Looking to order a set today.

Lanister
01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I got.

"FCN466A Front Control Arm Bushing Set (66 mm) for BMW e46, Poly 85A #FCN466A"

Lanister
01-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Broke down and bought the BMW trunk net. I must say, I quickly forgot how unreasonably priced it was and am really digging its utility. It's really annoying when my stuff was flying around the trunk. So much so that I would avoid using the trunk and keep things on the back seat. Very happy with this little add-on. Here's how it looks installed. (Not the pic of my car)

fredo
01-16-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm with you. Sometimes I want to drive with enthusiasm, but the thought of things flying around in my trunk makes me think twice. If you don't mind the question ... how much did you pay ? Is it an easy install ? Do you need to make holes on the carpet ?

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Broke down and bought the BMW trunk net. I must say, I quickly forgot how unreasonably priced it was and am really digging its utility. It's really annoying when my stuff was flying around the trunk. So much so that I would avoid using the trunk and keep things on the back seat. Very happy with this little add-on. Here's how it looks installed. (Not the pic of my car)

I've had that on my wish list. Do we need any clips or are the anchor points built in? Source?

johnrando
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Curious too about fittings/hooks, etc. Just looked up the price, bought $65 bucks on Turner. I like it but that's not cheap.

Lanister
01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
I've had that on my wish list. Do we need any clips or are the anchor points built in? Source?

Nope, it comes with hooks built in. Just attach them to the four anchor points. I figured that I can always part it out when my zhp goes up for sale. Could be a long white before it happens though ;)

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I'm curious as to whether something like this would fit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X3-04-13-TRUNK-FLOOR-CARGO-NET-BRAND-NEW-FAST-FREE-SHIPPING-/291057085530?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item43c45aac5a&vxp=mtr

derbo
01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
I have the net and my tag with the BMW logo is on the bottom two hooks. I wonder if it looks less stretched?

johnrando
01-16-2014, 01:18 PM
No wonder it didn't seem it would fit, those aren't for verts. Our hooks are in different spots I think.

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
No wonder it didn't seem it would fit, those aren't for verts. Our hooks are in different spots I think.
I didn't even know you had a trunk (hee hee).

Lanister
01-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I'm curious as to whether something like this would fit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X3-04-13-TRUNK-FLOOR-CARGO-NET-BRAND-NEW-FAST-FREE-SHIPPING-/291057085530?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ABMW&hash=item43c45aac5a&vxp=mtr

It would actually but it may not have the tension while it's not holding anything down. As long as it's stretchy.

Lanister
01-16-2014, 01:22 PM

John, as long as you have four anchor points, pretty much any stretchy net with four hooks of approximate size will do the job. I just googled a few pics of a CiC trunk and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Same hook points.

Lanister
01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I have the net and my tag with the BMW logo is on the bottom two hooks. I wonder if it looks less stretched?

That's exactly how I installed it, bmw tag facing up :)

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Better price here http://www.ebay.com/itm/390714200612

not sure of the size though

derbo
01-16-2014, 01:25 PM
That's exactly how I installed it, bmw tag facing up :)

Oops I meant on the hooks near the tail light. Although I'm not sure what part number cargo net I have.

Lanister
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Better price here http://www.ebay.com/itm/390714200612

not sure of the size though

The price is right but this one would be too big for e46's trunk

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Not sure how to tell ANy better? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fit-Trunk-Cargo-Net-for-BMW/190807247765?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D19839%26meid%3D4165744407165587181%26pid%3D 100005%26prg%3D8934%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D3502 51109353%26

sorry for the thread jack

Lanister
01-16-2014, 02:24 PM
The e46 net is relatively small but it stretches. So perhaps you can just compare trunk sizes between other net's you're looking at.

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 05:18 PM
I found the right one and put in a bid. I wish they had measurements.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Lanister
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
I found the right one and put in a bid. I wish they had measurements.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Sweet, let me know if you get it and how it fits.

Lanister
01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Hmmm so the AKG FCABs are expected to arrive today or tomorrow so potential installation pending this weekend. Pretty exited to see the difference.

Lanister
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Here's a pic of the rear net installed along with the all-weather trunk mat.

Avetiso
01-17-2014, 04:17 PM

derbo
01-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Giya I totally flipped the inner floor trunk mat to use the rubber side instead of the carpet LOL

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Lanister
01-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Finally found some spare time to install the AKG street performance poly FCABs. The install was a breeze and only took about 1.5 hours. Big thanks to kayger12 for his DYI (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1901-E46-BMW-Control-Arm-Bushing-DIY). The old OEM bushings were shot after only 35k miles, which is on the low side. Went for a quick test drive and steering response now is sharper and there's no more steering wheel jolt when hitting the bakes. Feels very solid and I'm pretty happy that these things have long life expectancy.

johnrando
01-19-2014, 02:55 PM
:thumbup

danewilson77
01-19-2014, 03:09 PM
:thumbup

+1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
01-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Fine job

kayger12
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Good deal. It's so tempting to go this route instead of replacing oem FCABS every 35k.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Dave1027
01-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Finally found some spare time to install the AKG street performance poly FCABs. The install was a breeze and only took about 1.5 hours. Big thanks to kayger12 for his DYI (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1901-E46-BMW-Control-Arm-Bushing-DIY). The old OEM bushings were shot after only 35k miles, which is on the low side. Went for a quick test drive and steering response now is sharper and there's no more steering wheel when hitting the bakes. Feels very solid and I'm pretty happy that these things have long life expectancy.
Sweet. I'm kicking around the idea of going poly cabs too. I already have my poly rtabs sitting here waiting to be installed some time this weekend.

You had some typos in your post. You are getting no more what in your steering when hitting the brakes? Are you seeing any increase in harshness or road noise?

ELCID86
01-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Put some miles on them (like 35k!)and give us feed back.

Lanister
01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Sorry for the typos. I corrected it.

Basically, I was getting a jolt in the steering wheel when I was hitting brakes. It's a classic indicator of failed FCABs or end-links. I did notice slightly more feel in the steering wheel, which is expected. I don't think the ride is harsh at all though.

Lanister
01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Put some miles on them (like 35k!)and give us feed back.

On it :)

Avetiso
01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Well done, Giya!

derbo
01-19-2014, 03:24 PM
looks good bro!

danewilson77
01-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Also... Throw up a link to these cabs. Thanks.

Lanister
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Sure thing Dane. Here it is:

Hit up this link and enter the following part number in the search box:

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog/catalog.php

FCN466A

The site doesn't appear to offer a direct link to the product page.

QC_ZHP
01-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Great work, my AKG ordered shipped out Friday so I'm anxious to get mine on. When you removed the bushing off the control arm, did you use the 3 jaw puller method or the pry bar mentioned in the DIY? What grease did you use as well? Sorry, just want to be prepared for the job, haha.

Lanister
01-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Those are very good questions :)

To get the old FCABs off I used a 3 jaw puller as I don't own a pry bar. I know... :facepalm. The passenger side came off fine and the driver side sprung a small oil leak but both of them stayed intact. To install the AKG bushings, I just used some liquid soap on the control arm and they went on by hand but it still needed a solid push. Because I don't have a press, I ordered my bushings already pre-pressed and pre-lubricated so I have no idea what type of grease they used. Before I knew that though, I called AKG and asked what type of grease I would need to use. The rep basically said that any ball bearing type of grease will work just fine. The best part is that I don't have to throw away the lollipops. They take them back and refund me the $70 core charge.

Avetiso
01-20-2014, 12:24 AM
I think I'll be going this route. :)

danewilson77
01-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Thanks L

Lanister
02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Called the dealer that PO was taking the car to to find out when the battery was replaced only to learn that he also replaced the valve cover gasket around 69k miles. This clears up the mystery of why it's so nice and dry. I was thinking that at 93k the original valve cover gasket would surely be leaking by now. One less thing to worry about... for now :)

ELCID86
02-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Always nice to have good news!

QC_ZHP
02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Definitely a nice treat, just ordered a new VCG for mine

Pip
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Good news!

derbo
02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Called the dealer that PO was taking the car to to find out when the battery was replaced only to learn that he also replaced the valve cover gasket around 69k miles. This clears up the mystery of why it's so nice and dry. I was thinking that at 93k the original valve cover gasket would surely be leaking by now. One less thing to worry about... for now :)

The dealer never gave you a history on your car?

Lanister
02-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Hey wouldn't release it to me because it has PO's personal information associated with it. Essentially, I have to get the PO to request it and then send it to me. So I had to interrogate the lady on the phone about what was done and when, which is enough for me. I keep my own log.

derbo
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
He can check off the address crap and stuff off it. -_-

Ask him for a DCS report without the customer information on it. Fittingly you own the vehicle already..

Lanister
02-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Bewm! Post #1000

Well, pretty much 6 months to the day since I became the owner of my first BMW. It's been a very enjoyable experience and it wouldn't be the same without my mafia family. Thanks boys and girls!

Sent from outer space...

johnrando
02-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Congrats!

Pip
02-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Woot!!

WOLFN8TR
02-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Sweet! I just hit 2000 posts.

derbo
02-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Congrats Giya :P

Lanister
02-15-2014, 07:40 PM
I need some input guys. So while I was trying to figure out what was causing the steering wheel jerk during braking, I kind of jumped the gun and assumed it was the end links. Largely because the previous owner told me he had FCABs done recently so I excluded them from the list of possible causes. So by default, I bought a set of OEM end-links, only to learn that my end-links were just fine and FCABs were the problem. So now that I have my AKG FCABs in, the issue is gone and I'm trying to decid what to do with the end-links.

Option 1: Return end-links to ECS for store credit (~$70)
Option 2: Replace my current original end-links with 93k on them; although they're not showing any signs of play but they are certainly "of age"

What do you guys reckon?

EDIT: I'm mainly unsure because I don't know what to expect of my current end-links. I know a lot depends on the driving style and road conditions but since I don't know how the previous owners drove it, all I can go by is their current condition.

Avetiso
02-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Honestly, I'd go ahead and keep them and just wait until your current ones start showing signs of failure. You'll need to buy them eventually, so why return them now?

derbo
02-16-2014, 12:21 AM
I would keep it too. Shipping it back to ECS probably cost you some money.

WOLFN8TR
02-16-2014, 08:51 AM
I agree, keep them suckers for later.

Lanister
02-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys. I'll keep them.

danewilson77
02-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Honestly, I'd go ahead and keep them and just wait until your current ones start showing signs of failure. You'll need to buy them eventually, so why return them now?

I would keep it too. Shipping it back to ECS probably cost you some money.

I agree, keep them suckers for later.

Yep

Lanister
02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Well, to my surprise, my only-3-year-old BMW battery seems to have given up. Very strange indeed. I was very skeptical at first--thinking that it had to do with some type of a parasitic drain. But, after checking the amp draw over 3 continuous hours, the multimeter reported sustained 16ma, which is far below the 50ma threshold. The issue was with battery losing charge enough to barely start or not even--after about 24 hours after driving. This really made me depend upon leaving it on charger every night and drive around with a set of jumper cables in the back. No bueno. The confusing part was that repeated battery load tests showed that the battery was on good shape and yet the issue persisted. Leaving it disconnected after full charge showed that voltage dropped down to 12.56 after 48 hours (from 12.7 after full charge). In my last ditch effort, I tried to open it to see if it may need to be topped off with distilled water but it is sealed to the point where it would be impossible to re-seal it. So the hell with that; stopped by a local Autozone shop and picked up a direct replacement Duralast 94R-DLG. Very pleased with absolutely identical, perfect fitment, which also included vent hole in the same location for L connector to slide into. So far, the car is cranking like never before. Time will tell but I am optimistic that the problem is solved. $180 taxes in and they took my old one off my hands. Battery production date is 2/14, which, considering it's 2/14 still, doesn't get much better than that :)

gmurphy
02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Well, to my surprise, my only-3-year-old BMW battery seems to has given up. Very strange indeed. I was very skeptical at first--thinking that it had to do with some type of a parasitic drain. But, after checking the amp draw over 3 continuous hours, the multimeter reported sustained 16ma, which is far below the 50ma threshold. The issue was with battery losing charge enough to barely start or not even--after about 24 hours after driving. This really made me depend upon leaving it on charger every night and drive around with a set of jumper cables in the back. No bueno. The confusing part was that repeated battery load tests showed that the battery was on good shape and yet the issue persisted. Leaving it disconnected after full charge showed that voltage dropped down to 12.56 after 48 days (from 12.7 after full charge). In my last ditch effort, I tried to open it to see if it may need to be topped off with distilled water but it is sealed to the point where it would be impossible to re-seal it. So the hell with that; stopped by a local Autozone shop and picked up a direct replacement Duralast 94R-DLG. Very pleased with absolutely identical, perfect fitment, which also included vent hole in the same location for L connector to slide into. So far, the car is cranking like never before. Time will tell but I am optimistic that the problem is solved. $180 taxes in and they took my old one off my hands. Battery production date is 2/14, which, considering it's 2/14 still, doesn't get much better than that :)

That's good you got it replaced quickly! That's weird that it did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lanister
02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to mess about and stress the internal components with a weak battery. It could have gotten costly if something serious broke. Derbo tells me that BMWs really don't like weak batteries.

gmurphy
02-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to mess about and stress the internal components with a weak battery. It could have gotten costly if something serious broke. Derbo tells me that BMWs really don't like weak batteries.

From what I have heard too I would agree that they don't. BMWs really
don't like the cold either :). My CCV is going kaput. It occasionally does the fog horn call. Im going to opt for the cold weather version.

Lanister
02-21-2014, 09:49 PM
From what I have heard too I would agree that they don't. BMWs really
don't like the cold either :). My CCV is going kaput. It occasionally does the fog horn call. Im going to opt for the cold weather version.

Mine was doing the horn sound even in California climate. It was one of the first things I replaced, along with all the piping and crap. ECS sells a nice kit for that.

gmurphy
02-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Mine was doing the horn sound even in California climate. It was one of the first things I replaced, along with all the piping and crap. ECS sells a nice kit for that.

Sounds like I am departing on a cruise ship every cold morning :). Very little "mayo" build up though. But I do try and drive it on the interstate in 4th and 5th to clean all that out when I can. Definitely on my to do list though.

Lanister
02-21-2014, 10:06 PM
There's a pretty interesting option to replace that whole system with a catch can and it has its benefits over CVV. There's a thread about it by Smlock. Just do a search on it. Had I known about it before I did my CVV, I would have gone the catch can route.

gmurphy
02-21-2014, 10:08 PM
There's a pretty interesting option to replace that whole system with a catch can and it has its benefits over CVV. There's a thread about it by Smlock. Just do a search on it. Had I known about it before I did my CVV, I would have gone the catch can route.

Thank you I will check it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
02-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Plus German Auto Solutions is working on a completely new CCV system. I'm still waiting for that kit.

Lanister
02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Can't wait for that!

Avetiso
02-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised my CCV is still kicking after 75k miles, from Ohio! My last zhp had 60k miles from New Mexico, and it was making whale noises.

No evidence that the CCV has been replaced.

These cars don't make any sense.

gmurphy
02-22-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm surprised my CCV is still kicking after 75k miles, from Ohio! My last zhp had 60k miles from New Mexico, and it was making whale noises.

No evidence that the CCV has been replaced.

These cars don't make any sense.

Lol true that! I still love her even though she makes whale noises :)

gmurphy
02-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Can't wait for that!

Agreed.

Lanister
02-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Do you guys know what this wire is for? I found it hanging loose when I was swapping out the battery.12500

derbo
02-25-2014, 12:12 AM
This should be the connector to the Transport mode kill switch that is removed during PDI (pre delivery inspection) at the dealer.

it should connect to something similar like this during transport mode.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/rebelranter/11f2f2ded7ef97c3bed309ef6ca90a7a.jpg

Pip
02-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Don't touch it or it will kill zee zhp.

johnrando
02-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Hmmm, gets me thinking. Could that be an interesting/easy (but inconvenient) place for a kill switch?

Lanister
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Hmm well that solves the mystery of the battery kill switch I saw on my zhp's option list. I remember hearing that it should be located under the passenger seat and no wonder I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the input, Derek.

Lanister
02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Don't touch it or it will kill zee zhp.

LOL, perhaps it's the infamous self-destruct button? :)

derbo
02-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Make it an Staples Easy Button too for simplification. :D

Giya,

BMW knew their cars drained so they had kill switch installed when they were shipped over from Germany hahahah

Lanister
02-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Giya,

BMW knew their cars drained so they had kill switch installed when they were shipped over from Germany hahahah

That should have been our first clue. LOL

gmurphy
02-25-2014, 12:57 PM

Giya,

+1

Avetiso
02-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Try hooking up random things to it. Maybe you'll get some more power via voltage stabilization. :rofl

Lanister
02-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Try hooking up random things to it. Maybe you'll get some more power via voltage stabilization. :rofl

Hooked it up to my toaster this morning. Nothing works anymore. :scratchinghead

Lanister
02-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Finally ordered the DISA valve rebuild kit along with the 1.2 Bar coolant expansion tank cap AND the VANOS rebuild kit (just the seals). Last I checked, the DISA valve looked pretty good but with 94k on it, who knows how much long it's got left.

VANOS, gotta do it eventually too.

Planning ahead.

derbo
02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Looking good buddy! :D

DISA is too easy.

Lanister
02-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Looking good buddy! :D

DISA is too easy.

I know. I've taken DISA off when I was doing my CVV. I thought was a joke. Nonetheless, it would be good to have reliable components installed and new sealing ring will ensure that no surprises will come from it at an inopportune time.

Lanister
03-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Got a box in the mail today. It says "from German Auto Solutions" :santa1

johnrando
03-05-2014, 08:58 PM
:like

Avetiso
03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Nice. You will like the kit.

Lanister
03-05-2014, 09:04 PM