PDA

View Full Version : First Mod: Headers or Shark Injector?

Pages : [1] 2

Smolck
09-29-2013, 05:05 PM
So I am finally to the point of mods for my car (after almost $4700 in maintenance over the last 21 months!). First mod is either headers or shark injector. Sooner or later I will get both, but for now can only do one. Only "mod" the car has now is a 3.46 diff.

If it was your car, which one?

NorCal-Dimitri
09-29-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm considering the same mods. I feeling headers. How do you like the 3.46 diff?

danewilson77
09-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Headers, exhaust, intake then a Eurocharged tune.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Smolck
09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Headers, exhaust, intake then a Eurocharged tune.

Surprised to hear you say Eurocharged when you have Conforti. Any particular reason?

I'm considering the same mods. I feeling headers. How do you like the 3.46 diff?

3.46 makes the car what it should be from BMW. It is slightly slower in the 0-60 category because you have to shift to third to make it, but both second and third gears are a monster and the overall 1/4 mile times are better by .3 seconds. And passing on the highway no longer requires downshifting to 5th.

danewilson77
09-29-2013, 05:33 PM
They can tune it to your mods. It's a better tune. I only have AFE intake and no exhaust moss so Shark packaged tune made sense to me at time and I didn't even know about them either.

I will be going Eurocharged tune when I do my headers and exhaust.

Smolck
09-29-2013, 05:39 PM
They can tune it to your mods. It's a better tune. I only have AFE intake and no exhaust moss so Shark packaged tune made sense to me at time and I didn't even know about them either.

I will be going Eurocharged tune when I do my headers and exhaust.

I liked the shark I had on my 323 with an intake. Felt nice on that little engine.

I guess I just like the DIY nature of the shark vs having to send off my DME. And I have never seen any head to head dyno pulls with a normal software on a modded car (headers, intake etc) vs one that has the software "tuned" for the mods. I mean, it can't add THAT much more power, can it?

Also, I doubt I will ever do exhaust. Too much money and would be way too loud with headers.

BCS_ZHP
09-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Smolck's,
Think of it in 3 parts - breathing, drinking, & exhausting. You need to do all 3 to maximize your performance increase. But as Dane said, try not to do one (Shark) that you might have to change or modify after the others. The intake & exhaust changes are pure mechanical, do those first as you see fit and to your desires. Then afterwards you should be able to feel if its lacking in low end torque and/or high end speed, and at that point any of the custom tuners should be able to give you what you want.

danewilson77
09-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I liked the shark I had on my 323 with an intake. Felt nice on that little engine.

I guess I just like the DIY nature of the shark vs having to send off my DME. And I have never seen any head to head dyno pulls with a normal software on a modded car (headers, intake etc) vs one that has the software "tuned" for the mods. I mean, it can't add THAT much more power, can it?

Also, I doubt I will ever do exhaust. Too much money and would be way too loud with headers.

Ok. Sounds good.

Avetiso
09-29-2013, 06:53 PM
X2 Eurocharged.

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

QC_ZHP
09-29-2013, 08:34 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I was able to find a set of BimmerBrake headers for fairly cheap, so I pulled the trigger. I probably won't have the time to install them for a bit, but I'm still happy with the stock exhaust, so no problems there at them moment.

I went with the 3.38 over the 3.46, but we'd have a similar setup, so I'd be interested in hearing your input on the setup if you go the header route.

derbo
09-29-2013, 08:45 PM
3.46 makes the car what it should be from BMW. It is slightly slower in the 0-60 category because you have to shift to third to make it, but both second and third gears are a monster and the overall 1/4 mile times are better by .3 seconds. And passing on the highway no longer requires downshifting to 5th.

I agree. 3.62 is even more fun haha.

Are you considering a full header-back exhaust? Cause it feels like a bottleneck will be your exhaust if you get headers. In California, I have issues with dealing with smog check. I personally would go with a eurocharged tune so when you do get the headers, you can get a new tune again for the headers.

328ioc
09-30-2013, 04:03 AM
I love my Shark but I will admit that when I do my headers I will be switching over to a Eurocharged as well for two reasons.

First being what Dane said that it will be customizable.

Second being that Conforti does not offer a cat-less tune for the 330. So you will get a check engine light.

Every time I talk to Turner about this I get the same generic answer of "a new file for headers is coming soon", it's been almost a year and I keep getting the run around. So bye bye Shark and hello Eurocharged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Smolck
09-30-2013, 05:46 AM
So now I am in a real pickle, cash is available for intake or headers. I just have to pick one. I'm leaning toward intake for three reasons (what do you all think of my rationale?)

1. Super easy install (unlike headers which I have done before, but still takes 5 hours)
2. No CEL
3. No obnoxious sound and will compliment the software when I get it. If I like the gains, I may stop there and not go the header route due to noise, smell, and general hassle.

My point is, of all the mods I am more on the fence about the headers than anything else, I just don't want to destroy daily live-ability just for 10hp. So maybe starting with the other things is better?

Thoughts?

midlandtech
09-30-2013, 05:54 AM
So now I am in a real pickle, cash is available for intake or headers. I just have to pick one. I'm leaning toward intake for three reasons (what do you all think of my rationale?)

1. Super easy install (unlike headers which I have done before, but still takes 5 hours)
2. No CEL
3. No obnoxious sound and will compliment the software when I get it. If I like the gains, I may stop there and not go the header route due to noise, smell, and general hassle.

My point is, of all the mods I am more on the fence about the headers than anything else, I just don't want to destroy daily live-ability just for 10hp. So maybe starting with the other things is better?

Thoughts?

I agree with your logic. I would love headers but don't want the CEL and potential hassle involved with that. Not to mention headers with high flow cats are stupid expensive

328ioc
09-30-2013, 07:09 AM
I agree as well which is why I have everything BUT headers even though I consider them everyday.

Personally I think an intake is a great first step.

Performance changes with and intake or a tune won't be massively noticeable.

But the sound coming from an intake is very noticeable, very intoxicating and worth every penny IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Intake.

Hermes
09-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Sway bars and Z4M offset thrust bushings

PirateZHP
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Sway bars and Z4M offset thrust bushings

What do the z4m offset thrust bushings do? I don't even know what those are... sorry for being a noob. I have sway bars, and am all about handling over speed (first).

Hermes
09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
They increase caster in the front wheels.

I got the idea from my buddy with an E30 325i who put E30 M3 offset bushings on his car, then realized the Z4M ones work for us in the same way

LivesNearCostco
09-30-2013, 10:38 AM
More caster gives you more negative camber on the outside wheel when in a turn, without giving more negative camber when going straight or braking. This should in theory give you better front-end grip when cornering without accelerating inner shoulder wear on front tires. Only possible downside is more steering effort at speed and offset bushings move tires forward in wheel well.

I'm thinking of upgrading my camber plates to get more caster.

PirateZHP
09-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Interesting... may be another project for me...

M0nk3y
09-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Headers. Reducing the back pressure and more free-flowing will help top end

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Smolck
10-06-2013, 01:44 PM
So quick update: My ZHP has been giving me issues lately. As in, NO power at all. No codes mind you, just no power. I mean, I timed it at 0-60 in 9.1 seconds!

Turns out, my MAF was bad. Replaced it with an el cheapo from ebay which didn't work (CEL, no idle, el crapola) and then had to buy the big dog OEM MAF for $300 clams. Add a ticket and my software/intake/header slush fund is wiped out.

BUT, I have decided to go the Shark route when I rebuild my fund.

Thanks for the feedback gents!

danewilson77
10-06-2013, 01:49 PM
So....your loss of power was fixed with oem MAF sensor? You didn't have any codes either?

Did you try cleaning your old one first (I assume you did)?

Smolck
10-06-2013, 02:04 PM
So....your loss of power was fixed with oem MAF sensor? You didn't have any codes either?

Did you try cleaning your old one first (I assume you did)?

It was an odyssey that almost made me sell my car and lasted several weeks. In fact, I posted this thread in the midst, thinking the software would make me run better. Long, Long, Long story short:

Noticed the car was weak past 4k RPM. Built revs in a linear fashion, but just no power. Backed this up with 0-60 runs in the high 8's and low 9's (BAD). Car has ZERO check engine lights and no stored codes.

Replaced 90k mile Bosch plugs with NGKBKR6EQUP (slight increase)
Cleaned MAF (no change)
Seafoamed (no increase)
Replaced Beisan VANOS seals with 100k miles with new Beisan VANOS seals (slight increase)
Replaced DISA flapper with GAS rebuild kit (no improvement in power, obvious improvement in design, it is a great kit)
Replaced pre-cat 02 sensors (made it worse)
Here is where the car started to chug a little at part throttle in 4th gear which started me thinking MAF
Reset adaptations (no increase)
Lubro Moly Engine Flushed during oil change (made my clogged CVV start working again, no power added)

Lightbulb went on! "hey dummy, unplug the MAF, you have a manual trans and can drive it like that and see what happens"
P-O-W-E-R!!!!!!
Instantly the revs built hard and fast again, she drove WAY faster. 0-60 times back to 6 seconds or so.....
Installed cheap Fleabay MAF, still made power but got CEL for MAF voltage too high and the car wouldn't idle (sent back)
Bought OEM MAF and problem solved. ALL power restored, car runs great (and it should, EVERYTHING power related is new), and my MPG's is above 24avg.

Being smarter and troubleshooting the MAF sooner would have saved me a bunch of time and money. Current amount this car has cost me in 22 months $4,986.24 in PARTS ONLY! (I am my own labor)

OUCH! But hey, it's paid for!

danewilson77
10-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Damn. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Smolck
10-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Damn. Thanks for sharing.

I can send you my old MAF, put it on your car and see if it chokes yours to death too. :p

danewilson77
10-06-2013, 02:07 PM
I can send you my old MAF, put it on your car and see if it chokes yours to death too. :p

Lmao.

johnrando
10-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Glad things worked out in the end.

Rovert
10-10-2013, 12:18 AM
I should check my MAF like that. If I disconnect will it throw a code immediately? What are the symptoms of no MAF connected?

danewilson77
10-10-2013, 12:02 PM
I should check my MAF like that. If I disconnect will it throw a code immediately? What are the symptoms of no MAF connected?

It will throw a code and will run better than a one runs with a failed sensor but not as good as one that has a good sensor.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

danewilson77
10-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Smolck, did you end up getting the Siemans/VDO sensor?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=nldpvl45gkwu1ofxuoh2erzk&partnumber=13627566983

Smolck
10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Smolck, did you end up getting the Siemans/VDO sensor?

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=nldpvl45gkwu1ofxuoh2erzk&partnumber=13627566983

Yes, yes I did. Car seems to be back to mostly normal. I think I am gonna clear my adaptations though. Then software and intake time!

Yes, I got a p0103 which I think is MAF below temp or something. I also got an intake temp sensor code (p0113 I think). But the car ran STRONG and I drove it like that for a few days till the new MAF made it.

danewilson77
10-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks.

94jedi
11-27-2013, 06:11 AM
So headers/exhaust are seem to be the biggest power maker on this car? Am I correct in assuming that TMS or Rogue Pulleys won't do much? I don't have big power-mod plans for this car, but like everyone else, I'd like a little more oomph. I figured an intake, shark, and pulleys might give me a little more punch.

3ZHPGUY
11-27-2013, 06:55 AM
So headers/exhaust are seem to be the biggest power maker on this car? Am I correct in assuming that TMS or Rogue Pulleys won't do much? I don't have big power-mod plans for this car, but like everyone else, I'd like a little more oomph. I figured an intake, shark, and pulleys might give me a little more punch.

TMS pulleys make a significant difference, I've driven a ZHP with Dinan throttle body and stage III software. It was a dog compared to my ZHP with the turner pulleys & Dinan CAI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

johnrando
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Funny, I was about to say pulley's don't make much of a diff, and most (not all) people I've spoken with or read about say the same. They didn't to me... glad you had a different experience. As far as non FI, headers are the most bang for the buck from everything I've read. But I think you'd need a tune to remove the CEL lights that come on due to those IIRC.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

kayger12
11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Funny, I was about to say pulley's don't make much of a diff, and most (not all) people I've spoken with or read about say the same. As far as non FI, headers are the most bang for the buck from everything I've read.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

This

Smolck
11-27-2013, 02:52 PM
TMS pulleys make a significant difference, I've driven a ZHP with Dinan throttle body and stage III software. It was a dog compared to my ZHP with the turner pulleys & Dinan CAI

There is always going to be somewhat of a difference between vehicles. My ZHP is a dog compared to most normal 330's. I think I got a "slow" one. I have seen some stock ZHP's dyno as low as 184hp at the wheels and as high as 210. So you probably are one of the lucky ones and got a strong motor.

By the way, I ended up doing an intake first. The sound is a blast. In the next few weeks I will be doing a EuroCharge tune. I will update the thread then. If that doesn't satisfy my blood lust for power, I will get headers and a re-tune. After that, if it is still too weak, I'll light the car on fire and give up.

danewilson77
11-27-2013, 03:01 PM
There is always going to be somewhat of a difference between vehicles. My ZHP is a dog compared to most normal 330's. I think I got a "slow" one. I have seen some stock ZHP's dyno as low as 184hp at the wheels and as high as 210. So you probably are one of the lucky ones and got a strong motor.

By the way, I ended up doing an intake first. The sound is a blast. In the next few weeks I will be doing a EuroCharge tune. I will update the thread then. If that doesn't satisfy my blood lust for power, I will get headers and a re-tune. After that, if it is still too weak, I'll light the car on fire and give up.

Are you going through Seth on the tune?

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

UdubBadger
11-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Yes

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Yep, but the shop hasn't responded to my email, hopefully they will soon. Am I still doing the right thing? 200k mile motor, 200k mile catalytic converters, maybe headers is a better idea first? I just thought the software would be easier. For one, I don't have to deal with my exhaust right now (it be cold outside for us Bama boys) and two, if the tune does what I hope, I may not need the headers and the smells and noise.

Thoughts? I have cash in hand, just waiting to spend it.

johnrando
12-02-2013, 05:23 PM
The tune should def help... you'll want that anyway regardless to take advantage of the headers, so you might as well get that first. If you like it, you're set. If not, add the headers and then get the tune adjusted for it. I don't know what Eurocharged charges for a tune adjustment but I've seen others and it's cheap, like $50.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
The tune should def help... you'll want that anyway regardless to take advantage of the headers, so you might as well get that first. If you like it, you're set. If not, add the headers and then get the tune adjusted for it. I don't know what Eurocharged charges for a tune adjustment but I've seen others and it's cheap, like $50.

I think Seth said it is no charge to upgrade to the header tune. I agree with you, but I am wondering now if my cats aren't somewhat clogged. Headers might make a BIG difference. Even though they are loud, smelly, and a bitch to install.

94jedi
12-02-2013, 05:35 PM
So is Eurocharged the way to go on our cars? I had considered the Shark injector before hearing about Eurocharged. Is this the same Eurocharged in Va?

Smolck
12-02-2013, 05:42 PM
So is Eurocharged the way to go on our cars? I had considered the Shark injector before hearing about Eurocharged. Is this the same Eurocharged in Va?

Shark and Eurocharged are different. From my research Eurocharged is the way to go because it can be modified to your specs, not a preset tune. It can also be setup for your mods to maximize power. And the best part, with the ZHP Mafia discount, it's $300 bucks. Cheaper than shark

ELCID86
12-02-2013, 06:32 PM
And what about RK? https://www.facebook.com/RKTunes Anyone have insight?

Smolck
12-02-2013, 06:57 PM
And what about RK? https://www.facebook.com/RKTunes Anyone have insight?

Never heard of them. More expensive than the EuroCharged though, even with the cyber monday discount.

johnrando
12-02-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd def go w/Eurocharged if I didn't already have one before they came on the scene.

UdubBadger
12-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Yep, but the shop hasn't responded to my email, hopefully they will soon. Am I still doing the right thing? 200k mile motor, 200k mile catalytic converters, maybe headers is a better idea first? I just thought the software would be easier. For one, I don't have to deal with my exhaust right now (it be cold outside for us Bama boys) and two, if the tune does what I hope, I may not need the headers and the smells and noise.

Thoughts? I have cash in hand, just waiting to spend it.

Who did you email?

Goin' HAM mobile

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Seth (UdubBadger) is our resident Eurocharged affiliate.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

UdubBadger
12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
He knows, we've exchanged PMs. Thanks D

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Who did you email?

Goin' HAM mobile

Donald Romine. The guy listed on your site for Douglasville, GA. Of course, I forgot he is on EST so maybe he didn't have time to respond? I also sent an email to Malones Auto in Marietta, GA. Both shops are within driving distance, though Douglasville is MUCH closer to me.

UdubBadger
12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Ahhhhh.

Shoot an email to sales@eurocharged.com and just tell um I sent you there, you tried contacting the local shops but no answer yet. They might be able to get in touch with them.

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
12-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Udub, is there a thread detailing the Eurocharged tune? I have a few questions but I'm sure they've already been answered.

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Yep it's in the sponsored vendors section

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
12-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Ahhhhh.

Shoot an email to sales@eurocharged.com and just tell um I sent you there, you tried contacting the local shops but no answer yet. They might be able to get in touch with them.

Goin' HAM mobile

I got a response from Malone Auto, I suppose I will just use them. They responded at 10:30pm. Pretty nice if you ask me!

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 07:40 AM
I got a response from Malone Auto, I suppose I will just use them. They responded at 10:30pm. Pretty nice if you ask me!

Great. Make sure you tell them about the forum pricing before going in so they know.

Let us know how you like it!

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Great. Make sure you tell them about the forum pricing before going in so they know.

Let us know how you like it!

Goin' HAM mobile

Will do. Trying to get it done before Saturday.

328ioc
12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Smolck.....which headers did you end up getting? I think I missed it somewhere along the line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smolck
12-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Smolck.....which headers did you end up getting? I think I missed it somewhere along the line.

I haven't yet. Ordered some, but they were on back order so I decided to go this route first. I have credible sources that tell me the ZHP factory exhaust with headers is insanely raspy. I do not want a race car, this is my DD. My guess is the tune, while only good for maybe 10 PEAK HP will give me even more in the mid range and that is what I want. Headers typically dyno at 12-15hp too so they are both good. But the tune might satisfy my blood lust for power without the need for a day long DIY and smells and loud noises (it is a ZHP after all and not my Uncle Frank, he is full of smells and sounds too)

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
The headers combo with tune is good for about 25 peak.

If you look at my old Zhp build thread I had stock Zhp exhaust and it wasn't as raspy as you'd think - nowhere even close to how raspy my M3 is now with headers. The Zhp with headers and the TSE3 it was too much.

Goin' HAM mobile

328ioc
12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
What about headers and magnaglow? I am debating on headers or taking the resonator out of the magnaflow.

I am after some more volume versus power.

Smolck sorry for the minor thread jack.

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 11:54 AM
It's nice with the magnaflow but you for sure want the resonators cuz the magnaflow has a straight through design so you'll get tons of rasp without them. It'd be like straight piping the car basically.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Smolck sorry for the minor thread jack.

Where better to discuss this? Don't bother me! I'm curious too. I would think if you just want volume removing your resonator would be a cheap and easy way to go.

Seth,

So just to clarify, you still think the tune is a better move vs the headers initially?

328ioc
12-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Where better to discuss this? Don't bother me! I'm curious too. I would think if you just want volume removing your resonator would be a cheap and easy way to go.

Seth,

So just to clarify, you still think the tune is a better move vs the headers initially?

This is true. I think I will experiment with the resonator first then go from there.

Also, Seth is more of the expert but in my opinion I think the tune first is a good idea because then your car is fully ready for headers and you don't need to deal with a check engine light or anything like that. Just throw on the headers and go make noise.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Just throw on the headers and go make noise.

This is my new favorite quote!

328ioc
12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
This is my new favorite quote!

Excellent. Lol.

johnrando
12-03-2013, 01:00 PM
That was my vote too, but you said it better. :)

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I just think tune because MAYBE you won't want headers and it's a long DIY or 5-6 hrs of labor you need to pay for and then mess with emissions and all that. It's possible that Just a tune could be enough to satisfy you. If you do headers first your not really maximizing it's gains without the tune anyway so you're only getting 1/2 of what you pay for. You get better flow with headers but they also allow you to push the engine further which is why you'd want to tune it as well.

And just to be clear again, the tune does NOT wipe out the CEL on the zhp. You need to buy an LS-1 wideband controller to do that and pass the electronic emissions readiness test.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-03-2013, 05:22 PM
I just think tune because MAYBE you won't want headers and it's a long DIY or 5-6 hrs of labor you need to pay for and then mess with emissions and all that. It's possible that Just a tune could be enough to satisfy you. If you do headers first your not really maximizing it's gains without the tune anyway so you're only getting 1/2 of what you pay for. You get better flow with headers but they also allow you to push the engine further which is why you'd want to tune it as well.

And just to be clear again, the tune does NOT wipe out the CEL on the zhp. You need to buy an LS-1 wideband controller to do that and pass the electronic emissions readiness test.

Goin' HAM mobile

Lucky for me I am my own mechanic. I have installed headers for others so I have some experience with them and will be doing my own install. But I agree 100% with your logic and I am glad you said what you did.

Easier too. On to Marietta, GA!

UdubBadger
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Nice

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Headers ordered, supposed to be here tomorrow. Install Saturday. Then, hopefully, within a few weeks I will have the tune to match my intake/header combo.

ELCID86
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Awesome. I know you are psyched.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1).

Smolck
12-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Yea, the dude didn't ship them today as promised so it will be Sat. Technically I guess he did ship them, just too late for them to actually go out. The suspense is killing me. I was recently defeated in a 60mph to 80mph drag race by my niece's 300k mile 323 AUTO! And it was a decisive victory. This led me to find my bank 2 cat (back one closest to firewall) is almost completely clogged (some 250 degrees hotter than bank 1) and these should resolve that problem and the significant loss of power.......I HOPE!

if not, the car goes on craiglsist.

UdubBadger
12-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Lol

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Lol

Goin' HAM mobile

No, not LOL! That loss was on my top ten list of worst events that have ever happened to me. Right behind being catfished by a 300lb woman and losing $1500 in a casino in 5 minutes. It was BAD! Just in case any of you think bad cats can't rob power, they can. 100k miles worth of burning 1qt of oil every 400 miles clogged them up nice. Can't wait to get them off the car and dissect them.

QC_ZHP
12-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Lol, that's brutal. What brand headers?

UdubBadger
12-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Bimmerbrakes Gen 3 IIRC...

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
12-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Ended up with v1s from a guy who didn't want them. Got a smokin deal

UdubBadger
12-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Nice

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
12-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Idk, that catfish story sounds pretty brutal lol

Smolck
12-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Idk, that catfish story sounds pretty brutal lol

It was terrible.

On the good side, my headers arrive tomorrow! Thanks to FedEx I had to wait 3 extra days! Atlanta to Bham, Bham to ATL, ATL back to Bham. Makes sense to me..........NOT!

Smolck
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
My headers are installed! Good heavens did that make a difference! My car feels and sounds like an M3 to me. Don't forget, my cats were 60-70% clogged, but still it blows me away no. The car is a pure beast. Anyone who wants power should do this mod. PERIOD!

Hopefully I can get a tune in a week or two. WOW!

QC_ZHP
12-31-2013, 04:22 PM
VIDEOS NOW! lol. I have a set in my closet but I need to hear how they sound with the stock ZHP muffler before I pull the trigger on the install. Awesome to hear you're enjoying it though

derbo
12-31-2013, 04:51 PM
My headers are installed! Good heavens did that make a difference! My car feels and sounds like an M3 to me. Don't forget, my cats were 60-70% clogged, but still it blows me away no. The car is a pure beast. Anyone who wants power should do this mod. PERIOD!

Hopefully I can get a tune in a week or two. WOW!

Wish I didn't have smog regulations

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Avetiso
12-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Wish I didn't have smog regulations

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

+1

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

Smolck
12-31-2013, 06:19 PM
Here is a crappy video, but you'll get the gist. The good stuff starts at 0:27

http://youtu.be/0P3dNi7ibQc

Avetiso
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
Here is a crappy video, but you'll get the gist. The good stuff starts at 0:27

http://youtu.be/0P3dNi7ibQc
Private, doesn't work.

ELCID86
12-31-2013, 06:59 PM
video isn't working for me.

Smolck
12-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Stupid youtube.....

Should be good now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3dNi7ibQc

johnrando
01-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Congrats. Sure sounds good. As said before, stupid smog laws! BTW, I think your cruise control is on (that green light on your dash)?

QC_ZHP
01-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Sounds really good in the car. Any chance of some outside vids? Just want to get an idea of the rasp level. What'd you do to avoid the CEL light?

UdubBadger
01-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Makes me miss my girl, lived the headers/tune. Felt insanely fast but I will confirm, not quite M3 ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Pip
01-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Makes me miss my girl, lived the headers/tune. Felt insanely fast but I will confirm, not quite M3 ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Yea but how is the m3 with headers? I'm sure it feels awesome right now and will feel even better with a tune.

UdubBadger
01-01-2014, 10:59 AM
It's unreal. Seriously love it and makes me so happy I stuck with this car.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-01-2014, 11:07 AM
I know it isn't an M3. However, after a tune and catback I think my 0-60 time will be darn close (3.46 diff helps). This morning I got a 5.8 with a decent amount of wheel spin. But having driven several M3's I can assure you I have no illusions of M3 speed. But you have to remember, my car was beaten by a 323 automatic with 300k miles recently due to the clogged cats. So to me, it feels like a Ferrari 430!

Here are some more vids......

http://youtu.be/IsWvah_2ank

http://youtu.be/-47mzwD2wtw

Rovert
01-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Your dash looks like mine. Exact same light!!! You guys and your ZEE HP. LOL. I might have to film a launch to see if my car is where yours at. Sometimes it feels like it might be able to take on a Corolla S! :O

Smolck
01-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Your dash looks like mine. Exact same light!!! You guys and your ZEE HP. LOL. I might have to film a launch to see if my car is where yours at. Sometimes it feels like it might be able to take on a Corolla S! :O

Anyone who uses a decent amount of oil and has over 150k miles on their OE cats has issues. I guarantee it

midlandtech
01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Nice I'd love to have this mod. Been lusting for a diff swap though so maybe after that.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

UdubBadger
01-01-2014, 12:40 PM
I know it isn't an M3. However, after a tune and catback I think my 0-60 time will be darn close (3.46 diff helps). This morning I got a 5.8 with a decent amount of wheel spin. But having driven several M3's I can assure you I have no illusions of M3 speed. But you have to remember, my car was beaten by a 323 automatic with 300k miles recently due to the clogged cats. So to me, it feels like a Ferrari 430!

Here are some more vids......

http://youtu.be/IsWvah_2ank

http://youtu.be/-47mzwD2wtw

I said the same thing with my Zhp and not to take away ANYTHING from it as it's a beast, the M3 just doesn't stop pulling. You have to drive one to really understand.

Your car looks sounds and I'm sure feels fantastic though. Enjoy it!

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I said the same thing with my Zhp and not to take away ANYTHING from it as it's a beast, the M3 just doesn't stop pulling. You have to drive one to really understand.

Your car looks sounds and I'm sure feels fantastic though. Enjoy it!

Goin' HAM mobile

I agree. My buddy has an M3 and it pulls as hard at 120 as the ZHP does at 80. And 8000rpm is soooo much fun. But the ZHP is PAID FOR!

So I am going to squeeze every last ounce out of it I can. Tune, pullies, cat back, and thats about it. I may go the route of FI one day, but not until I have another DD.

And again, I'll say, while the rasp is a bit annoying and the CEL (though that has been fixed) and the smell, it is 100% worth it. PERIOD. The car now runs as it should. If I had smog inspection in my state, I'd still do it and put high flow cats down stream or even swap manifolds come certification time. It is THAT worthwhile IMO.

For two years I have said it wasn't worth it, not worth doing, etc, etc. I was WRONG!

UdubBadger
01-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Meh. I prefer NA built motor. Much more you can do before going FI like Cams, meth, or stacks... Or just upgrading to an M ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Meh. I prefer NA built motor. Much more you can do before going FI like Cams, meth, or stacks... Or just upgrading to an M ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Yea, I guess I should have specified, I meant bolt ons. I have plans to buy a low mileage short block and add the VAC head and cams, but again, this car is a DD through at least the next 2 years. I need reliability more than speed.

I could have bought an M so many times, but with the miles I drive (40k per year) it is expensive and not practical. And again, the ZHP is PAID FOR!

UdubBadger
01-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Good deal ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

QC_ZHP
01-02-2014, 09:22 AM
What'd you do to fix the CEL?

Smolck
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
What'd you do to fix the CEL?
Stuffed a ball of electrical tape under the CEL on the cluster. It's still on but I don't have to see it. It's ghetto fabulous

Avetiso
01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Stuffed a ball of electrical tape under the CEL on the cluster. It's still on but I don't have to see it. It's ghetto fabulous

AA tune?

T-Mobile Note 3
Jedi Elite v5 ROM

UdubBadger
01-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Not sure theirs clears it either

Ls-1 wideband controller will fix it

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Not sure theirs clears it either

Ls-1 wideband controller will fix it

Goin' HAM mobile

Eventually ill go this route. Right now though, I'd rather spend the $300 on a tune from Eurocharged

QC_ZHP
01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Lol nice. You've convinced me to install mine, just trying to get everything in order. The guy I bought mine from threw in an o2 simulator so I'm hoping I can avoid the CEL light.

328ioc
01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Lol nice. You've convinced me to install mine, just trying to get everything in order. The guy I bought mine from threw in an o2 simulator so I'm hoping I can avoid the CEL light.

I've decided I would like to go with headers and I think the O2 Sim is in my cards as well. Then maybe a new tune further down the road.

UdubBadger
01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
You can't go wrong, it's such a different feeling car with headers and a tune.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-03-2014, 01:13 PM
You can't go wrong, it's such a different feeling car with headers and a tune.

Goin' HAM mobile

I can attest. Having done normal 330 header swaps and now my ZHP there is no question the headers let the cams do what they do and you feel it a lot more than the normal 330. However, I am running rich and can't wait to get my tune. Car is a screamer though. I just beat an 08 mustang GT from stoplight to 80mph by half car. He ran away at the top, cause 300hp is gonna win at those speeds, but I was impressed.

A tune can only help!

94jedi
01-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Geez....I promised myself I wouldn't go beyond tune intake and pulleys but you guys are making it difficult lol

QC_ZHP
01-03-2014, 02:30 PM
What are you guys' thoughts on these?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=15893201&postcount=273

Pip
01-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Are you trying to pass smog? Not sure 100 will pass smog. Usually 200 will. If you are just trying to clean up the smell etc then go for it. Either way it is going to take some custom work for the 330.

UdubBadger
01-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Yeah you need 200 cell min to pass

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
I need to take a ride in a intake/header/exhaust/pulleys/tuned ZHP. Anyone near me with these mods?

I frequent the DC Metro area (Rockville) as well.

Smolck
01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Well for me, smog isn't an issue. We have no such tests or even a state inspection in AL.

Car continues to be an animal. I bought some E92 wheels tonight and bolted them on. Seems an appropriate upgrade for the old girl. Even from a roll in 1st the car will spin the wheels most of the way through 1st gear (even with new tires) and grab HARD in 2nd. The 3.46 diff has come ALIVE with the extra power of the headers. Hammer it in 2nd and the nose rises, the ass plants, and she digs to 58mph in a hurry!

I have owned the car for 2 years, why oh why did I wait so LONG! This adds the edge those E36 M3's have that I love. You get the rawness of the E36 M3, but the niceties of the E46 design. Tune and LSD here we come! I want MOAR!

94jedi
01-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Smolck post up some pics w/ the wheels!

Smolck
01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Smolck post up some pics w/ the wheels!

I'll have to wait till tomorrow. It is way too dark in my driveway. I tried and it looked like a big silver grey blob.

UdubBadger
01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I need to take a ride in a intake/header/exhaust/pulleys/tuned ZHP. Anyone near me with these mods?

I frequent the DC Metro area (Rockville) as well.

If you can get a hold of Leon my old car is out that way now

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
01-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Is he in Easton? I may have seen him last week when I was passing through on my way to DC.

BCS_ZHP
01-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Is he in Easton? I may have seen him last week when I was passing through on my way to DC.

Jedi,
I have a CAI, Dinan throttle body, Magnaflow catback exhaust, Active Autowerkx tuned, 3.07 to 3.38 diff changed ZHP that you can do a test ride in -- that's all good for about a 10-15% gain over stock. I'm located in the Northern Virginia area.
Bruce

UdubBadger
01-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Not sure exactly but he has the silver grey exterior, Orion v2 halos, oem RCR tails and either anthracite VMR V703s or black 135s.

Goin' HAM mobile

QC_ZHP
01-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Are you trying to pass smog? Not sure 100 will pass smog. Usually 200 will. If you are just trying to clean up the smell etc then go for it. Either way it is going to take some custom work for the 330.

Smog isn't an issue, neither the work. Just mainly for smell and possibly toning down the rasp. Not sure if they're worth it though

Smolck
01-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Smog isn't an issue, neither the work. Just mainly for smell and possibly toning down the rasp. Not sure if they're worth it though

Oh, its worth it. Even the slight smell in the drivethrough is forgotten when you romp the throttle and the car takes off. I know my cats were clogged, but even a perfectly working OE manifold is sooooo restrictive. When I pulled my cats apart, I found that the three pinched runners feed in to a single 1" pipe and then to the cat. 1"! A car is an air pump, and it is choked to death with the stock manifolds. The ZHP makes a ton more power because with the increased flow the cams really are allowed to do their job (move more air).

Also, as promised, here are my E92's........

94jedi
01-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Very classy Smolck!!!

illirep
01-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Question on related topic. I've been debating sprint booster and shark injector.

The reviews on the shark say great things about improved throttle response. So with the shark, is the sprint booster over kill?

Thanks for help on this.

johnrando
01-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Question on related topic. I've been debating sprint booster and shark injector.

The reviews on the shark say great things about improved throttle response. So with the shark, is the sprint booster over kill?

Thanks for help on this.

First, Smolck, looks great. Really good to hear those headers are working out.

So, I say go with the injector first as that's true improvement in power, MPG (hopefully), and overall responsiveness. Then, absolutely add the SB. It improves throttle responsiveness and allows you to get to that power quicker. It's definitely not overkill. Many who have it will attest to that. I have an AA tune, and I tell people to drive it w/SB on and off, and they all are amazed at the difference. Curtis (SC4ME) just drove mine yesterday and he can attest as well.

Smolck
01-04-2014, 10:01 AM
First, Smolck, looks great. Really good to hear those headers are working out.

So, I say go with the injector first as that's true improvement in power, MPG (hopefully), and overall responsiveness. Then, absolutely add the SB. It improves throttle responsiveness and allows you to get to that power quicker. It's definitely not overkill. Many who have it will attest to that. I have an AA tune, and I tell people to drive it w/SB on and off, and they all are amazed at the difference. Curtis (SC4ME) just drove mine yesterday and he can attest as well.

Thanks. After I get my eurcharged tune I plan to add a pedal box. I figure in race mod, if I was in a drive through, I will smash through the car in front me! That is throttle response!

stephenkirsh
01-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Newb question: what's an AA tune?

Geez....I promised myself I wouldn't go beyond tune intake and pulleys but you guys are making it difficult lol

+1 on that lol

UdubBadger
01-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks. After I get my eurcharged tune I plan to add a pedal box. I figure in race mod, if I was in a drive through, I will smash through the car in front me! That is throttle response!

i'm gonna promise you right now, you don't need it after the tune unless you want it less responsive.

UdubBadger
01-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Newb question: what's an AA tune?

+1 on that lol

active autowerke

Smolck
01-04-2014, 05:36 PM
i'm gonna promise you right now, you don't need it after the tune unless you want it less responsive.

Good to know! Thanks

johnrando
01-05-2014, 03:42 PM
My AA (Active Autowerke) tune did not address throttle responsiveness, so I added the SB. Eurocharged was not around at the time I did my tune.

Smolck
01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
My AA (Active Autowerke) tune did not address throttle responsiveness, so I added the SB. Eurocharged was not around at the time I did my tune.

My throttle response is already pretty good with the headers. I was only kidding about sprint or pedalbox. For a slightly stock car, they likely have some merit. For mine, I don't see the need.

midlandtech
01-05-2014, 09:10 PM
All this talk of headers has me thinking about doing them... I'm concerned about throwing codes though. How difficult is it to eliminate the ses light and does anyone here have experience with the magnaflow headers with cats in them?

94jedi
01-06-2014, 05:23 AM
All this talk of headers has me thinking about doing them... I'm concerned about throwing codes though. How difficult is it to eliminate the ses light and does anyone here have experience with the magnaflow headers with cats in them?

I'm in the same boat my friend! I'd love to do headers but I have a completely stock exhaust so I'm looking at almost $1k for the whole system (to do it right anyway).

Smolck
01-06-2014, 06:36 AM

From what I know, a simple, $300 LC1 wideband controller will remedy any CEL associated with the headers.

UdubBadger
01-06-2014, 11:11 AM
From what I know, a simple, $300 LC1 wideband controller will remedy any CEL associated with the headers.

This is correct.

No need for full exhaust either, sounds great with zhp exhaust. Magnaflow is the only aftermarket if recommend, it's LOUD.

As far as some 200 or 400 cells you can always just get some welded into stock section 1. You'll still need an LC-1 though.

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
01-06-2014, 11:14 AM
This is correct.

No need for full exhaust either, sounds great with zhp exhaust. Magnaflow is the only aftermarket if recommend, it's LOUD.

As far as some 200 or 400 cells you can always just get some welded into stock section 1. You'll still need an LC-1 though.

Goin' HAM mobile

Would the stock exhaust be too restrictive and defeat the purpose of the Headers? I know that we do want to keep some back pressure but I feel like I should maximize the gains w/ a proper exhaust.

BTW - I think it was your car I saw (Ti 330?) with BB gen3 headers and some exhaust....it was LOUD lol. Might be too loud for me. I'd like to keep it rather subdued until I get on the happy pedal.

Smolck
01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Would the stock exhaust be too restrictive and defeat the purpose of the Headers? I know that we do want to keep some back pressure but I feel like I should maximize the gains w/ a proper exhaust.

BTW - I think it was your car I saw (Ti 330?) with BB gen3 headers and some exhaust....it was LOUD lol. Might be too loud for me. I'd like to keep it rather subdued until I get on the happy pedal.

Stock exhaust isn't the restriction, the stock manifolds are and once removed, you will be amazed. My car begins to rasp at 3000rpm. Inside with the windows up, I can hardly tell anything is different below 3500. Romp it and things get exciting. To me, sounds a lot like a stock m3, just perfect

94jedi
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Stock exhaust isn't the restriction, the stock manifolds are and once removed, you will be amazed. My car begins to rasp at 3000rpm. Inside with the windows up, I can hardly tell anything is different below 3500. Romp it and things get exciting. To me, sounds a lot like a stock m3, just perfect

Thanks for the info. That sounds perfect to me. I like things to get loud, but only when I call on it, not when taking the Mrs. out for dinner lol.

UdubBadger
01-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Yeah stock with the resonators was sporty as hell and just loud enough when you open her up. WOT on a magnaflow with no resonators is ridiculously loud.

With a tse3 - it sounds like a civic with a hole in the muffler

Goin' HAM mobile

kayger12
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Damn all this header talk. You guys are making me want to do this.

STOP IT!!!!

Smolck
01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Wish I could afford the whole supersprint cat back. It REALLY sounds good on these cars.

johnrando
01-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Damn all this header talk. You guys are making me want to do this.

STOP IT!!!!

Plus MANY.

UdubBadger
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Hahaha sorry KG and Rando

Goin' HAM mobile

kayger12
01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Hahaha sorry KG and Rando

Goin' HAM mobile

You should be. I started researching, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

midlandtech
01-06-2014, 05:16 PM
You should be. I started researching, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Same here.... damn it

94jedi
01-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Same here.... damn it

Ha! That's what I did on my lunch break. Anyone know if bimmerbrakes will cut us a deal? Then all I need is an intake + tune, and a big GTG at someone's house for some install help lol.

94jedi
01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Anyone know who's car this is? Doesn't say what headers but he is on stock ZHP exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqupgaLPWI

UdubBadger
01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Ha! That's what I did on my lunch break. Anyone know if bimmerbrakes will cut us a deal? Then all I need is an intake + tune, and a big GTG at someone's house for some install help lol.

I'm friends with Anthony (owner). I think we can work out a deal if you order through Eurocharged.

Goin' HAM mobile

johnrando
01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
LMAO, I started looking into getting headers this afternoon too, but with the ability for easy swap out.

Avetiso
01-06-2014, 09:32 PM
LMAO, I started looking into getting headers this afternoon too, but with the ability for easy swap out.

Let me know what you find. It's hard for us in CA.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

johnrando
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Frankly I'm thinking of some way to have things threaded or something for easy "bolt-on/bolt-off" but I'm not sure what makes sense or how to do it.

UdubBadger
01-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Pay close attention to section 1
http://youtu.be/6PZCJYvBKac

I'm sure it can be fabricated for non M by someone

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-07-2014, 06:34 AM
Pay close attention to section 1
http://youtu.be/6PZCJYvBKac

I'm sure it can be fabricated for non M by someone

Goin' HAM mobile

Yep, a good muffler shop could pull that off no problem. Given the easy of dropping the E46 muffler, all you would need is a bolt on somewhere in the mid pipe area and removal would be a joke.

328ioc
01-07-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm friends with Anthony (owner). I think we can work out a deal if you order through Eurocharged.

Goin' HAM mobile

I would be in for this as well if there is some way to get a deal.

I was looking into a set of V1's on another forum but the seller has yet to respond.

Avetiso
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Yep, a good muffler shop could pull that off no problem. Given the easy of dropping the E46 muffler, all you would need is a bolt on somewhere in the mid pipe area and removal would be a joke.
And this wouldn't trigger a CEL with the non-M?

Smolck
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
And this wouldn't trigger a CEL with the non-M?

Remains to be seen. I just don't know. But the installation would be a cinch. One thing I wonder though, even with post cat 02 sensors, would you still have a CEL. My car is reading pretty rich as a result of the DME not knowing what to do with all the flow. I am getting a few codes that do not relate directly to the fact I have no post cat sensors.

Smolck
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I am already "used" to the extra power. I wish my company would fund my rewards card so I can call Eurocharged!

UdubBadger
01-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Try resetting your adaptation to hold you over.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Try resetting your adaptation to hold you over.

Goin' HAM mobile

Does this work after 2 weeks? I had them reset the same day I installed the headers.

UdubBadger
01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah 2 weeks sounds about right

Goin' HAM mobile

328ioc
01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
How do you do this in inpa? I have seen threads where people talk about it but I have no idea what the actual steps are.

Hornung418
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM
In INPA, you just need to bring up the adaptations screen and press F8 to clear all values... HOWEVER, if you are tuned... It will fuck everything up, ask Midlandtech how it went when we reset his Sharked Car. I thought I broke it, it was that bad.

Sent from my GS3.

midlandtech
01-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Hahaha we got it all figured out though... learned something new that day =)

Smolck
01-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Wow, didn't realize the adaptations would get going that fast

Must..........have.........tune........

QC_ZHP
01-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Can a tune remove the adaptation feature?

Smolck
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Can a tune remove the adaptation feature?

No. It just adjust things so that when the car has adapted, it still runs at optimum performance.

Everyday my work is saying "your spiffs are coming, your spiffs are coming" and everyday I get NOTHING! The wait is killing me!!!!

UdubBadger
01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I believe there is a soft reset too, just frontage throttling. Something about a keying sequence. Maybe Randeaux knows.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-09-2014, 04:36 PM
I believe there is a soft reset too, just frontage throttling. Something about a keying sequence. Maybe Randeaux knows.

Goin' HAM mobile

Yea, that is supposedly for the throttle adaptations. I personally think it is more of a myth than reality though.

QC_ZHP
01-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Goin' HAM mobile

Are you talking about resetting it with the keys? That's the only way I know how. Turn key to position 2 for 10 secs, position 0 for 10 secs, then start.

johnrando
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Yup, that's how you reset them.

Smolck
01-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Did the reset. Almost felt worse, but I don't know. These days I am getting used to my headers and they don't feel as good as they did. I need MOAR!!!!

TigerTater
01-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Can you run the headers with plug non-fouler and avoid the CEL? Another question is could you run the headers without the tune for a prolonged period? I realize you would not get the full benefits of the headers without tune, but just curious. I have also read a large amount of threads about CAI vs. stock box vs stock box with drop in, I think I would prefer to just keep stock box with drop in. Is this enough "flow" to feed the new headers? Sorry if off-topic somewhat...and I love the videos SMOLCK they made me want headers.

Avetiso
01-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Can you run the headers with plug non-fouler and avoid the CEL? Another question is could you run the headers without the tune for a prolonged period? I realize you would not get the full benefits of the headers without tune, but just curious. I have also read a large amount of threads about CAI vs. stock box vs stock box with drop in, I think I would prefer to just keep stock box with drop in. Is this enough "flow" to feed the new headers? Sorry if off-topic somewhat...and I love the videos SMOLCK they made me want headers.
OEM box is not a bottleneck. You don't even need a new filter to keep up. You could upgrade and gain 1hp-3hp, but I don't believe that is related to exhaust flow.

You can run without a tune a long as you want, it's just better with a tune.

Smolck
01-12-2014, 12:16 PM

You get plenty from the headers with no tune, but much of the gains are above 5000rpm. The tune brings more midrange from what I researched. Regardless, it is not required to run headers.

Some guys have success with the defouler, some don't. I don't care enough to fool with it. I will get the tune, then get the LC-1 and call it good.

You don't need a cold air intake either. You will get a decent gain with headers though, but still less than 10hp. If you go eurocharged they can set you a tune to account for the stock air box.

The benefits far outweigh the problems associated with headers IMO.

UdubBadger
01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Our tune recommends at least a drop in filter. Stock paper is quite restrictive of necessary airflow

Goin' HAM mobile

94jedi
01-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Well, I'm sold. I'm not sure when I'll take the plunge but I'm going w/ headers for sure. When I bought the car, I said NO PERFORMANCE MODS! After about a week, I said, "Ok just intake and tune". Then I got here and decided to add pullies to that. And of course, now I'm adding headers to that, a wideband, and I'm sure I'll throw some sort of exhaust in there when all is said and done.

Some guys play golf, I throw money at my car.

QC_ZHP
01-13-2014, 09:55 AM

:thumbup

UdubBadger
01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Well, I'm sold. I'm not sure when I'll take the plunge but I'm going w/ headers for sure. When I bought the car, I said NO PERFORMANCE MODS! After about a week, I said, "Ok just intake and tune". Then I got here and decided to add pullies to that. And of course, now I'm adding headers to that, a wideband, and I'm sure I'll throw some sort of exhaust in there when all is said and done.

As do we all.

I'm on to modding my wife's 328xi wagon now!

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-13-2014, 07:49 PM

Somewhere on here there are threads with me saying headers were dumb and a bad idea. The "mod bug" attacks any real car guy sooner or later. Now, I can say headers are the best thing I have ever done for my E46. And than includes a list of intakes, SSK, 3.46 diff, and alcantara bits.

94jedi
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Somewhere on here there are threads with me saying headers were dumb and a bad idea. The "mod bug" attacks any real car guy sooner or later. Now, I can say headers are the best thing I have ever done for my E46. And than includes a list of intakes, SSK, 3.46 diff, and alcantara bits.

Ah...SSK...That's another topic I'd like to discuss. We'll leave that for another thread lol.

Smolck
01-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Today I took the previous owner of my car for a ride in the ZHP. He sold it to me with 138k miles and the converters weren't clogged at that time. In other words he owned it when it still had full power. After the 3.46 diff and headers the car is much better. I ran it up to about 3000rpm in 1st gear and laid the hammer down. He was astonished! He said "wow, this thing is twice as fast as it was, I wasn't expecting it to snap my head back like that".

I smiled, drove him back to his office, and haven't stopped smiling since. I LOVE it!

johnrando
01-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Sweet.

ELCID86
01-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Nice!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Avetiso
01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Wow, that's cool.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
01-24-2014, 08:36 PM
:)

Goin' HAM mobile

Rovert
01-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Anyone who uses a decent amount of oil and has over 150k miles on their OE cats has issues. I guarantee it

So I pulled a Smolck...filming a 0-60 with one hand. LOL. I try to hold the camera with my hand on the steering wheel and should I need more steering input it's easy to release the phone and be 100% on steering. I got a really decent launch as my "Dunlop 3D Winter Performance" tires just chhhh chhhh chhhh'ed for a split second before grabbing in 40F weather. With summers I could get a lot more power down on the ground but is this pretty normal for my setup?

Drop Box Video 0-60mph (https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgj7t29jl4r3a86/2014-01-20%2013.51.51.mov)

Smolck
01-25-2014, 10:03 AM
So I pulled a Smolck...filming a 0-60 with one hand. LOL. I try to hold the camera with my hand on the steering wheel and should I need more steering input it's easy to release the phone and be 100% on steering. I got a really decent launch as my "Dunlop 3D Winter Performance" tires just chhhh chhhh chhhh'ed for a split second before grabbing in 40F weather. With summers I could get a lot more power down on the ground but is this pretty normal for my setup?

Drop Box Video 0-60mph (https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgj7t29jl4r3a86/2014-01-20%2013.51.51.mov)

I counted between 6.5 and 7 seconds. Not too shabby for an older car. Ditch the cats and buy headers and you will pass out from the extra power!

Before I toasted my diff I got a 5.6 sec 0-60 time. That is a 3.46 and headers too. I honestly think with a tune I will be in E46 M3 territory, at least to 60mph.

UdubBadger
01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
U think wrong and I say that because I too underestimated how damn quick a stock m3 really is...

Catless Zhp with a tune is really quick but the M3 just goes balls out and doesn't quit. It's kinda scary.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
01-25-2014, 03:43 PM
U think wrong and I say that because I too underestimated how damn quick a stock m3 really is...

Catless Zhp with a tune is really quick but the M3 just goes balls out and doesn't quit. It's kinda scary.

Goin' HAM mobile

Well the numbers are the numbers. Stock M3 0-60 is 5.4 sec. I'm close to that now.

Again, I know you have an m3 and I am to trying to start a pissing contest. Just saying that from 0-60 they are similar. I've driven a bunch of m3s too, I know they are much quicker, one only needs to look at the 1/4 mile times to know that. But 0-60 is a different deal. The m3 is just hitting the good part at 60mph.

UdubBadger
01-25-2014, 07:27 PM
No no no, don't get me wrong, I'm saying in good spirits.
I totally thought that too at first but they feel so different to me in real life. That's all.

Goin' HAM mobile

QC_ZHP
02-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Wrap or Coating for the headers?

The headers I have are already wrapped but would it be better to get them coated for ~$300? This place (http://www.jet-hot.com/) is relatively local to me and obviously it'd look a lot better than the wrap but is it worth the coin?

The headers
http://s28.postimg.org/4yngrfu8d/2014_02_10_19_46_27_445.jpg

UdubBadger
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
I never really saw the benefit. Wrap is likely enough.

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
02-14-2014, 05:51 AM
I didn't wrap or coat my headers. Seems fine to me. No better or worse than the factory manifolds from a heat perspective. No difference in performance than a buddy who has headers and paid $300 to get them coated. In fact, I am faster!

TigerTater
03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Smolck....

I viewed your videos on youtube trying to get a feel for what the ZHP sounds like with headers and stock zhp exhaust, but couldn't really tell what it sounded like from outside..Would you mind maybe doing an outside video of start up and some revs or even a drive by?? I want headers just want to make sure its the sound I'ml looking for. Did you go eBay style ?

Also...what all did you replace when you installed your headers...like the gaskets, head bolts, nuts, heat shield, etc, OEM, p/n? Thanks man

SoDelBMW
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Smolck....

I viewed your videos on youtube trying to get a feel for what the ZHP sounds like with headers and stock zhp exhaust, but couldn't really tell what it sounded like from outside..Would you mind maybe doing an outside video of start up and some revs or even a drive by?? I want headers just want to make sure its the sound I'ml looking for. Did you go eBay style ?

Also...what all did you replace when you installed your headers...like the gaskets, head bolts, nuts, heat shield, etc, OEM, p/n? Thanks man

I'm also considering headers and was getting ready to ask the same questions, you took the words right out of my mouth.

QC_ZHP
03-09-2014, 10:16 AM
+1 I'd love to hear it as well.

Tiger, this is what I ordered to do my install. It may be overkill, but its all new studs/bolts and nuts as well as gaskets.

Part number - quantity-price-total

11-62-1-732-969 GASKET W/HEAT PR - 2@26.06=52.12

11-72-1-437-202 HEX NUT - 16@0.59=9.44

18-10-7-502-346 FLAT GASKET - 2@10.36=20.72

11-62-1-427-586 HEX BOLT - 4@14.02=56.08

18-30-1-737-774 HEX NUT - 4@0.88=3.52

11-12-7-506-203 STUD BOLT - 16@0.87=13.92

TigerTater
03-09-2014, 10:49 AM
+1 I'd love to hear it as well.

Tiger, this is what I ordered to do my install. It may be overkill, but its all new studs/bolts and nuts as well as gaskets.

Part number - quantity-price-total

11-62-1-732-969 GASKET W/HEAT PR - 2@26.06=52.12

11-72-1-437-202 HEX NUT - 16@0.59=9.44

18-10-7-502-346 FLAT GASKET - 2@10.36=20.72

11-62-1-427-586 HEX BOLT - 4@14.02=56.08

18-30-1-737-774 HEX NUT - 4@0.88=3.52

11-12-7-506-203 STUD BOLT - 16@0.87=13.92

Thanks Steve! Perfect!...Oops just realized you said for install...what brand did you go with?

Smolck
03-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I will get some better videos soon, I promise.

I went ebay style headers (might be bimmerbrakes original versions, not sure, bought them used) and all I replaced is the exhaust manifold studs, nuts and gaskets. That was all. I have really enjoyed the sound, but will be switching mufflers soon as the rasp is getting on my nerves now that window down weather is upon us. Trying to work out a deal with a friend who has an AC Schnitzer muffler off his old E46 laying around.

Under wide open throttle it sounds fine, really good actually. With the windows up, it is fine. But it is quite raspy when revving it and under 3/4 throttle.

TigerTater
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I will get some better videos soon, I promise.

I went ebay style headers (might be bimmerbrakes original versions, not sure, bought them used) and all I replaced is the exhaust manifold studs, nuts and gaskets. That was all. I have really enjoyed the sound, but will be switching mufflers soon as the rasp is getting on my nerves now that window down weather is upon us. Trying to work out a deal with a friend who has an AC Schnitzer muffler off his old E46 laying around.

Under wide open throttle it sounds fine, really good actually. With the windows up, it is fine. But it is quite raspy when revving it and under 3/4 throttle.

Thanks for the input...and Lmk when you get some new videos!

SoDelBMW
03-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Also what's the best and easiest way to get rid of the rasp in exhaust? Mufflers, new exhaust?

Avetiso
03-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Also what's the best and easiest way to get rid of the rasp in exhaust? Mufflers, new exhaust?
Resonator, specifically, anti-rasp.

QC_ZHP
03-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks Steve! Perfect!...Oops just realized you said for install...what brand did you go with?

I picked up a used set of Bimmerbrakes, version 2 I think? Not sure. $220 shipped and it came with wrap and a new O2 sim. I went w/ a used set over ebay hoping for a better fitment, but we'll see how it goes. I'll get them on soon.

Resonator, specifically, anti-rasp.

Any recs or links for one?

Avetiso
03-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I picked up a used set of Bimmerbrakes, version 2 I think? Not sure. $220 shipped and it came with wrap and a new O2 sim. I went w/ a used set over ebay hoping for a better fitment, but we'll see how it goes. I'll get them on soon.

Any recs or links for one?
None personally. They have different styles tailored for your tastes. Most are weld-in, so it doesn't really matter who makes it so long as you have someone to install it.

Pip
03-10-2014, 12:36 AM
Just search ar20. It is the most commonly used resonator on the e46 m3 to remove the rasp.

UdubBadger
03-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Ar 20 or ar 25 I think there is a difference in pipe size

Goin' HAM mobile

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Just search ar20. It is the most commonly used resonator on the e46 m3 to remove the rasp.

Nice, aside from limiting rasp, what else do they do to the sound?

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Also, should I pick up a SAP block off plate?

Smolck
03-10-2014, 08:08 AM

I don't know anyone who makes them. I made mine from some aluminum plate I had laying around. Steel might be better.

As for rasp, I say use a different muffler. I do not hear near the rasp with Borla or Magnaflow on youtube clips. I am waiting for my buddy to give a me a killer deal on his Schnitzer muffler. Below are a few clips of it on his regular 330ci. Had one resonator deleted and dual pipes all the way back from bimmer brakes headers. No rasp, I drove the car and it was great. On the last video, forward to 1:05 and you will hear my commentary :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk5Jg76L0Lg&feature=share&list=UUvxImnQQCFfN48BSVG3F_Vw&index=4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcSELv99Rs&list=UUvxImnQQCFfN48BSVG3F_Vw&feature=share&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtnHMp9vfo&feature=share&list=UUvxImnQQCFfN48BSVG3F_Vw&index=8

TigerTater
03-10-2014, 09:31 AM

What's is SAP block off plate, and what's it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't know anyone who makes them. I made mine from some aluminum plate I had laying around. Steel might be better.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11121438086/ES18149/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11727514860/ES2550232/

Those vids sound great though. Might need to keep an eye out for mufflers. I love Borla and used their systems on all of my mustangs, but I think its going to be a little louder than what I'm looking for on the e46.

What's is SAP block off plate, and what's it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It blocks off the SAP (Secondary Air Pump) which becomes useless after headers are installed.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11121438086/ES18149/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/11727514860/ES2550232/

Those vids sound great though. Might need to keep an eye out for mufflers. I love Borla and used their systems on all of my mustangs, but I think its going to be a little louder than what I'm looking for on the e46.

It blocks off the SAP (Secondary Air Pump) which becomes useless after headers are installed.

ECS website says it keeps away the CEL. I had to laugh at that one.

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Yeah, that's not happening.

UdubBadger
03-10-2014, 12:52 PM

As for rasp, I say use a different muffler. I do not hear near the rasp with Borla or Magnaflow on youtube clips. I am waiting for my buddy to give a me a killer deal on his Schnitzer muffler. Below are a few clips of it on his regular 330ci. Had one resonator deleted and dual pipes all the way back from bimmer brakes headers. No rasp, I drove the car and it was great. On the last video, forward to 1:05 and you will hear my commentary :)

That's because they all use resonated midpipes. ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
03-10-2014, 01:53 PM
That's because they all use resonated midpipes. ;)

Goin' HAM mobile

Yea you may be right. Of course my car still has both resonators too though.

I have decided to keep the stock muffler and buy some AR25 resonators. Not sure where to add them at the moment, but I am thinking headers, deleted stock res #1 (cause it is heavy) and then AR25 resonators and then stock 2nd resonator then muffler. Or should I remove BOTH stock resonators? Confused. Anyone?

The AR25 videos on youtube, while all M3 cars, sound amazing. And since my car is about as raspy as a stock M3, this should sound close right? The loudness isn't my problem. It just doesn't sound "tight" and "clean" like it should. Looks like those AR25s do just exactly that. And I found them for $39 on ebay. And my friend has a welder.

See pic>>>>>

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Doing research on this now, think its the route I'll be going as well.

Found this guy put ar20's in the spot of resonator #2, but not much info
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934875

and a video of a 330 w/ ar20's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTACtLnqCLM

Not much help, just posting my findings as I go. I'm just going to use you as the guinea pig for the setup smolck haha.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Doing research on this now, think its the route I'll be going as well.

Found this guy put ar20's in the spot of resonator #2, but not much info
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934875

and a video of a 330 w/ ar20's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTACtLnqCLM

Not much help, just posting my findings as I go. I'm just going to use you as the guinea pig for the setup smolck haha.

That was a HUGE help. How did you find this? I looked through 30 videos or more trying to find a non M E46 with them and found nothing.

Think I may start with replacing second resonator like this guy did. If I dont like it, the first one is easy enough to hack off. And I don't mind being a guinea pig.

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Just a little bit of googling. Not finding much else though, a few "can I put these on my car" threads but nothing more.

SoDelBMW
03-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Yea you may be right. Of course my car still has both resonators too though.

I have decided to keep the stock muffler and buy some AR25 resonators. Not sure where to add them at the moment, but I am thinking headers, deleted stock res #1 (cause it is heavy) and then AR25 resonators and then stock 2nd resonator then muffler. Or should I remove BOTH stock resonators? Confused. Anyone?

The AR25 videos on youtube, while all M3 cars, sound amazing. And since my car is about as raspy as a stock M3, this should sound close right? The loudness isn't my problem. It just doesn't sound "tight" and "clean" like it should. Looks like those AR25s do just exactly that. And I found them for $39 on ebay. And my friend has a welder.

See pic>>>>>

I'm having the same difficulties with choosing the right setup. There are some many different variables that come into play when messing with the sound of the exhaust an it's overwhelming. Resonators, headers, mufflers, and new exhaust systems could all be changed to find that perfect sound right? Does anyone have a prime setup that they use or used that sound great and would like to share? I wish they had an app where you could customize your own exhaust system and you could hear it! ��

TigerTater
03-10-2014, 04:10 PM
This is great...! We all know what we want..deep, clean revs without rasp. Do ya'll know the difference in the bimmerbrakes V1 headers and the gen 3? The V1's are going for 275$ right now and im more apt to buying those than something off of eBay if I can help it.

SoDelBMW
03-10-2014, 04:18 PM
I just looked at them and it just looks like the gen 3s are just a different design that maximizes performance and the v1s are just the cheaper design. There probably isn't much different but the rasp needs to go! We need to come up the best setup for a deep clean sound!

Hornung418
03-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Burns Stainless 3" merge collector flowing into an AR30 with a final Y pipe exiting out an M3 exhaust. That's what I'm going with...

Smolck
03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Burns Stainless 3" merge collector flowing into an AR30 with a final Y pipe exiting out an M3 exhaust. That's what I'm going with...

How do you intend to deal with the M3 muffler? Requires a diffuser modification, spare tire compartment removal (cutting it out and welding it up) and hanger mods. I'm curious as I've always wanted quad tips in the center

Also, I know a lot of folks say the 3" single exhaust is better, but does anyone have a quantifiable number? Does it add 5hp? 10? What?

TigerTater
03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxWD3BSB2s

I really like this one...Wyatt's car...holy crap ....,but I dont want to redesign my whole exhaust getting there.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 04:58 PM

I really like this one...Wyatt's car...holy crap ....,but I dont want to redesign my whole exhaust getting there.

I saw that and agree, very nice. Kinda hoping mine turns out like that.

Avetiso
03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
How do you intend to deal with the M3 muffler? Requires a diffuser modification, spare tire compartment removal (cutting it out and welding it up) and hanger mods. I'm curious as I've always wanted quad tips in the center

Also, I know a lot of folks say the 3" single exhaust is better, but does anyone have a quantifiable number? Does it add 5hp? 10? What?
There are ways to get the tips into the center, but if you want the M3 box style exhaust, yeah... That's what we're gonna do.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 05:01 PM
There are ways to get the tips into the center, but if you want the M3 box style exhaust, yeah... That's what we're gonna do.

Only ever seen the one euro company that makes the diffuser for the center exhaust, but you have to buy the muffler too. It's over $1500

SoDelBMW
03-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Wow...... That sounds amazing but I just wish there is an easier way to make it sound like that.

Hornung418
03-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Stock Finish
http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/176

CSL style partially painted
http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/158

All CF
http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/111

I'd go with the latter. I have OEM Style Performance Splitters.

I also have no problem cutting out the spare tire well and mating the OEM M3 part. Although this will take some work, I have friends that can weld, so hopefully this will be completed before Bimmerfest East. Just waiting on my tax returns...:shifty

TigerTater
03-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Stock Finish
http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/176

http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/158

All CF
http://www.insideperformance.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/1_9/products_id/111

I also have no problem cutting out the spare tire well and mating the OEM M3 part. Although this will take some work, I have friends that can weld, so hopefully this will be completed before Bimmerfest East. Just waiting on my tax returns...:shifty

Thats solid!...I hope it turns out great.

_Tax returns...yes I am waiting as well....Footap gif.

Avetiso
03-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Stock Finish

All CF

+1

Lot's of options out there for this.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Yes, but those prices aren't right. It says right at the top of the page "Price only in combination with our insidePerformance M3-CSL-Look exhaust system!"

So eve pan if you could get it for 270 euros ($376) you'd still have to pay international shipping which will be $150 at least. Not worth it for $500 and the reality is, you'll probably pay closer to 700 just to get it here.

Avetiso
03-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Yes, but those prices aren't right. It says right at the top of the page "Price only in combination with our insidePerformance M3-CSL-Look exhaust system!"

So eve pan if you could get it for 270 euros ($376) you'd still have to pay international shipping which will be $150 at least. Not worth it for $500 and the reality is, you'll probably pay closer to 700 just to get it here.
There's another company that sells just the diffuser.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1005684&highlight=quad+exhaust

Hornung418
03-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Join the site, select the item and add it to your cart. Proceed to checkout. Price is the same...I will PM a guy and see how his experience went.

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 08:35 PM
This is getting interesting.

Aside from the diameters, are there any size differences between the ar20 and ar25s as a whole?

Hornung418
03-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Simple Google search should answer that. The ar30 is 3 inch pipe diameter, 6 inch overall diameter and 10 inches long.

Sent from my GS3.

UdubBadger
03-11-2014, 04:17 AM
That's why I suggested ar25 to stay consistent with sock pipe sizing if 2.5

Goin' HAM mobile

Smolck
03-11-2014, 06:29 AM
That's why I suggested ar25 to stay consistent with sock pipe sizing if 2.5

Goin' HAM mobile

I thought stock ZHP piping was 2.25"

QC_ZHP
03-11-2014, 07:08 AM
^Same.

UdubBadger
03-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah I believe it is too actually. Makes sense though, easier to insert 2.25 "into 2.5" and clamp than widen out to 2.25" from 2" right?

Goin' HAM mobile

TigerTater
03-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Can you believe they want $15 for one bolt? http://www.ecstuning.com/ES26052/

When you can get the same size bolt in grade 10 for $1.67? http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11115629 crazy I say.

When you add up the cost of changing all bolts/nuts/gaskets associated with the headers it comes out to around $176 all OEM.

QC_ZHP
03-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Can you believe they want $15 for one bolt? http://www.ecstuning.com/ES26052/

When you can get the same size bolt in grade 10 for $1.67? http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11115629 crazy I say.

When you add up the cost of changing all bolts/nuts/gaskets associated with the headers it comes out to around $176 all OEM.

I bought the list I posted for you at Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com). Total was around $155, free shipping and was at my door in 2 days. That wont happen w/ ECS.

Smolck
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Yeah I believe it is too actually. Makes sense though, easier to insert 2.25 "into 2.5" and clamp than widen out to 2.25" from 2" right?

Goin' HAM mobile

Absolutely. I'm going to weld them anyways. Ordering this Friday.