PDA

View Full Version : Tie-Rods/Tie-Rod Ends other Suspension Questions too...

Imola.ZHP
10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Ok, so my local dealership sent me their monthly email this morning and they are running a $49.99 special for a 4-wheel alignment...

I have had nearly $1000 worth of front suspension components in my trunk for longer than I would like to admit. I ordered them after replacing my worn out RTAB's, but have not had time to "get around to it." I don't drive the car much (I live 2.2 miles from work) and the bad RTAB's have ruined the rear tires anyway so I've just been driving around with the back-end out of alignment for several months.

One of the things holding me up was when I watched a few video's on youtube showed the entire tie-rod assembly being replaced. There is another joint at the steering rack attachment point that has a "ball joint" like component to it. I just ordered the replacement "ends" as I thought that would be sufficient, but after watching that video I couldn't help but want to replace the entire tie-rod.

What do you ZHP-specific guys think? I'm at 123k and plan to keep this car forever, and as a daily driver for a minimum of another 5-years, but, again, this car isn't driven much. I'm estimating hitting 150k at that 5 year mark (actually 4.5 years now). The car will then be 15 years old.

Should I call up ECS, ship them back the "ends" (if they will allow it, I received them in June), pay the re-stocking fee and have them send me the entire tie-rods (and probably boots too)?

Or will I be ok just replacing the ends?

I'll be doing CA's, FCAB's, end-links and tie-rods (or just the ends). Is there anything else I'm missing? RTAB's are done, is there anything else in the back I need to do (or up front) before I have an alignment done?

THANKS!

danewilson77
10-01-2013, 04:06 PM
I think you'll be fine with the tie rod ends (ball joints).

IMHO.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

3ZHPGUY
10-01-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd hold on the tie rod stuff. Mine had 133K on it and I replaced the front control arms and control arm bushings last summer. Just recently replaced the RTAB and had the alignment completed with no other issues found.

FYI; years and years ago, when I turned wrench for a living, I specialized in suspension and wheel alignment for a few years. Before starting any wheel alignment, the mechanic needs to check all suspension components for looseness, play or any related failure. If the parts are bad the alignment will move causing the same or worse issues.

Hope this helps.

Imola.ZHP
10-03-2013, 03:46 AM
I think you'll be fine with the tie rod ends (ball joints).

IMHO.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks for your opinion sir, I guess the best way to proceed is to actually inspect them when I have things taken apart. If the inner joint seems to have play in it, then I'll just button it back up, order the parts and delay the rest of the work. I guess I could have done this without creating a thread, lol. I'm on overnights this week and my thought process doesn't always make sense after the fact, lol.

I'd hold on the tie rod stuff. Mine had 133K on it and I replaced the front control arms and control arm bushings last summer. Just recently replaced the RTAB and had the alignment completed with no other issues found.

FYI; years and years ago, when I turned wrench for a living, I specialized in suspension and wheel alignment for a few years. Before starting any wheel alignment, the mechanic needs to check all suspension components for looseness, play or any related failure. If the parts are bad the alignment will move causing the same or worse issues.

Hope this helps.

Yes it helps, your also saying I'm ok to hold of on the complete tie-rod replacement; since I already have the ends though, I'm going to replace them so that I don't have to get another alignment down the road.

----

Love this forum, no condescending "know it all's," no smart *** remarks, just real help; thanks!