PDA

View Full Version : ZKW Burnt Bowl OEM Replacements

Clemsone46
10-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Hey all,

I have been plagued with the same issue that plagues every plastic bowl ZKW HID headlights for E46’s. Because you cannot buy replacement bowls alone, the solutions currently for burnt bowls are either living with dim lights or retrofitting projectors. The retrofit is a good solution but involves cutting and irreversible modifications to the headlight housings. After much research and connections through work, I have found a solution.

I have acquired some extra bowls for testing and as is the common case, they are yellowed, cracked, and lack the “mirror finish” plating. The bowls are plastic welded to repair the crack damage and then re-plated correctly using the same methods to plate them from the manufacturers. Below is a series of pictures documenting and comparing the before and after. The results yielded the increased output of a brand new set of headlights.

Bowls before:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HRoZqrTHdwA/UYVgRZGC-QI/AAAAAAAADe0/Lnmh_V9Le4I/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0830.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ara_IgPnd0M/UYVgS7yDUwI/AAAAAAAADfM/fLjbGgIBDKE/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0837.JPG

Bowls after:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dBTIPAsjRn0/UYVgOHN01fI/AAAAAAAADeA/ZjRNuFEwcp0/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0811.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q5wyhfw1hnA/UYVgO-DkV6I/AAAAAAAADeI/A4iH892cedY/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0814.JPG

Headlight output before:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MqQc7epn0t4/UYVgPzkGduI/AAAAAAAADeY/U0x67_v3vgs/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0820.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CZn4aoy4CeY/UYVgQUwBy0I/AAAAAAAADeg/Uc3iaLxi75Q/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0827.JPG

Passenger side bowl replaced, drivers side original (notice light output increase and depth of beam):
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i7ZNJkbxpZw/UYVgR0ekj2I/AAAAAAAADe4/xnHHNbq7uhs/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0832.JPG

Both bowls replaced:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WW6uJO6KK80/UYVgTenpGiI/AAAAAAAADfQ/VRmkT1TQvds/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0839.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WGjmH02ivTk/UYVgT_dtGxI/AAAAAAAADfY/oB7uVLL5WgA/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0841.JPG

Before and after:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-CZn4aoy4CeY/UYVgQUwBy0I/AAAAAAAADeg/Uc3iaLxi75Q/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0827.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WGjmH02ivTk/UYVgT_dtGxI/AAAAAAAADfY/oB7uVLL5WgA/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0841.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-MqQc7epn0t4/UYVgPzkGduI/AAAAAAAADeY/U0x67_v3vgs/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0820.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WW6uJO6KK80/UYVgTenpGiI/AAAAAAAADfQ/VRmkT1TQvds/w422-h316-p-o/IMG_0839.JPG

Headlight dis-assembly for headlight bowl replacement:
1) Remove trim piece and headlight washer cover below headlight using a flathead screwdriver wrapped in a towel (to alleviate damaging paint)
2) Remove (4) bolts securing headlight with an 8mm socket
3) Unplug all leads to headlight (high/low beams, auto adjusters, etc)
4) Remove headlight from car
5) Remove access cover behind low beam secured by two flexible tabs
6) Remove bulb from headlight bowl
7) Remove (4) torx head screws (not sure what size) securing headlight bowl in place
8) Remove plug for headlight shade motor located on headlight bowl
9) Carefully orient headlight bowl to remove from headlight housing
10) Installation is the reverse of removal

Here are short reviews from other members of other forums who purchased these:

“They're mine, quality is great and far superior to how ZKW made them plastic out of the factory for some reason?

Max did a great job with them, and why I got them was because they were the OEM bowl. I did not want to do any retrofitting or get any fault lights, etc etc. just wanted a straight replacement.

I would not hesitate especially for those with horrible lighting (which is all of us)”

"I just received a set of recoated bowls from clemsone46; these things are amazing. They cost a little more than the retrofit projectors, but they're a great option for those hoping to stay OEM.

The difference in visibility is incredible. I don't have pictures, but as a comparison, I used to need my foglamps just to see at night; now I can't even tell when I turn them on.

Again, cannot recommend these enough. I'll follow up in a while and we'll see how they hold up. Thanks clemsone46."

"I was greatly disappointed that BMW did not even recognize this as a problem. I feel lucky to have made contact with Clemsone46 and found a great solution to my headlight issue. The output of the lights is as good as I remember from when the car was new. I also received excellent service and support to accomplish the fix. High praise, thumbs up and five stars !!!"

I am going to be providing this service for any individuals interested. However, the lead time is lengthy if I don’t have any completed so it will be just 2 or 3 individuals at a time. There will be an included core charge of $30 that will be refunded upon receiving your old bowls (this alleviates individuals having downtime on their cars). Bowls can be sent with or without the auto-leveling motors and shades, new bowls will be sent as requested with or without the shades (shades are an additional $15). The total price will be $260 + $30 core charge + shipping, $290 + shipping if no core provided. Shipping will be done using USPS flat rate boxing in the US ($17 + $3 insurance).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Max

midlandtech
10-02-2013, 04:48 AM
How long is your lead time and what type of warranty do you offer?

Clemsone46
10-02-2013, 05:48 AM
How long is your lead time and what type of warranty do you offer?
Currently, lead time is zero as I have 2 sets ready for shipment. The lead time I mentioned in my original post is if I run out of finished sets and thus lead time becomes 4-5 weeks.

As far as a warranty or guarantee of not burning up again, I cannot offer that. I understand any reservations you may have, but all I can offer is my experience, knowledge, and advice. Certainly a 30 day period will not burn them up, but whether they last another 5 years or 10 years, I cannot offer a guarantee for that. As I mentioned before, the plating is actually more robust than the OEM plating so my assumption is they will outlast the OEM plating on the bowls.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Max

az3579
10-02-2013, 08:38 AM
My estimate is that how long they last truly depends on whether you're one of those people who drives with the headlights on all the time including during the day, whether you use Auto headlights, if you only turn them on when absolutely necessary, or what times of day you drive primarily (combined with any of these other factors).

LivesNearCostco
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
would you be willing to sell just one (driver's side)? For whatever reason, my car came with a burnt ZKW on the driver's side and the other brand with a metal bowl on the passenger side. (Probably passenger headlight was replaced after an accident.)

Clemsone46
10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
My estimate is that how long they last truly depends on whether you're one of those people who drives with the headlights on all the time including during the day, whether you use Auto headlights, if you only turn them on when absolutely necessary, or what times of day you drive primarily (combined with any of these other factors).
This is true. Personally, I run my headlights all of the time that I drive. I have driven with mine for about 12k miles with them on the entire time. No signs of any light degradation.

would you be willing to sell just one (driver's side)? For whatever reason, my car came with a burnt ZKW on the driver's side and the other brand with a metal bowl on the passenger side. (Probably passenger headlight was replaced after an accident.)

Unfortunately I'm not interested in that, I am distributing these in pairs.

Thanks

Max

LivesNearCostco
10-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Max, any suggestions on how we could work out a deal for one bowl (driver's side)? If I buy the pair, not sure what I would do with the passenger side one.

Clemsone46
10-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Max, any suggestions on how we could work out a deal for one bowl (driver's side)? If I buy the pair, not sure what I would do with the passenger side one.

If another member is interested in a single bowl, meaning I still sell a pair at a time, I would be alright with that. If any other members are interested in just a single bowl replacement, let me know
Thanks
Max

LivesNearCostco
10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I forgot, are the bowls side specific or symmetrical? Not sure what my chances are of finding someone else who has just one burnt bowl, but we'll see. Otherwise I'll buy some AL metal bowls or the E9x M3 bowls and retrofit just my left side. Doesn't make sense for me to spend $270 (or $255 if I get core refund on one returned bowl) to fix just one burnt bowl.

So you couldn't sell me one then fix my one returned ZKW bowl? You'd still end up with a pair to sell.

Clemsone46
10-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Pm'd

Max

Yass_ZHP
11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Im guessing these are only for HIDs?

az3579
11-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Im guessing these are only for HIDs?

Only for factory Xenon setups.

Yass_ZHP
11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Only for factory Xenon setups.

Thought so..... thanks!

Clemsone46
11-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks az3579

Max

LivesNearCostco
11-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Max, thanks for the PM. I'll probably do the deal with you shortly. Have track day this weekend. Need to survive that first.

Maybe I should do the deal for two bowls with one core and keep 2nd as a spare.

Clemsone46
12-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Thread update, 1 set remaining. More should be available after the holidays.

Max

Smolck
12-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Wish this was available when I retrofitted mine.

Clemsone46
01-09-2014, 03:57 PM
How's business been?

Can you tell us a bit more about this metallic plating? How do you replate them? You say OEM method but I don't know what that is and I am geeky curious. what material are you using to replate and why did you pick that material? You said the new material is more robust. What makes you say that?

Now for questions specific to my situation. I have looked at my headlights from the back and they only have slight browning amazingly. Would you say this new, more robust material would be good as a preventative measure as well for people like me rather than waiting for the bowls to destroy themselves? If so, what is your turn around time? I don't drive my car often living in a big city. I would like to keep my original equipment if that was ok.

Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for the process. I outsource to a third party based on 'volume'. The equipment needed for the process is far too expensive.

The process is known as plastic 'metallizing'. It is a physical metal plating applied via heat to the plastic substrate. As far as the specifics of the process, I do not know them nor would I care to divulge them if I did. The increase in "robustness" comes from the use of a urethane base as opposed to a water based plating solution.

For your case, I would say if you can see any brown at all from the back of the bowls, the damage is already done. My guess would be if you were to disassemble them now, you would see much more burning from the inside. Turn around time is typically a month or so and multiple sets are completed at once. However, I have 2 individuals currently in line for sets that are being worked on currently.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Thanks

Max

rvariverguy
01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm assuming this process wasn't developed for our specific bowl replacement/ shouldvebeencoveredbyrecall issue. So based on other applications how's the lifespan of the refurbishment fairing? Again, assuming it's being used for other headlight refurbishments or other reflective needs.

Anything done to the bowls themselves, or simply trying to fill in any cracks/holes and provide a smooth surface for the reflective metal? Nothing else to try to enhance the reflectiveness or direction of the beam?

NorCalZman
01-10-2014, 03:46 PM
The increase in "robustness" comes from the use of a urethane base as opposed to a water based plating solution.

For your case, I would say if you can see any brown at all from the back of the bowls, the damage is already done. My guess would be if you were to disassemble them now, you would see much more burning from the inside. Turn around time is typically a month or so and multiple sets are completed at once. However, I have 2 individuals currently in line for sets that are being worked on currently.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Thanks

Max

Interesting. I wonder if any manufacturers use a urethane based plating now to avoid our issue or they just use metal altogether.

Sounds like you have a line formed up. I will subscribe and keep an eye on your stock.

Clemsone46
01-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Interesting. I wonder if any manufacturers use a urethane based plating now to avoid our issue or they just use metal altogether.

Sounds like you have a line formed up. I will subscribe and keep an eye on your stock.
My guess is that most manufacturers are using metal bowls now as can be seen with the e9x(?) metal bowl retrofits some are doing. They are still plated but the bond between a metal substrate and a metal plating is far better than that of a metal plating to a plastic substrate. I'm currently acquiring more cores so I will keep this thread updated once I get stock in.
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Should have a set of bowls ready to ship within two weeks. Anyone who is interested, let me know.
Thanks

Max

NorCalZman
03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
I would like to get it done at some point.

I have never taken the headlights out and apart aside from changing the lenses so I need to look at some DIYs this week and see how difficult it is.

Tnhl1989
03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I would be interested as well.

cakM3
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM

Tony.... I plan to redo my headlight assemblies on my ZHP come May using full AE headlight inserts....I will be using my Nikon to take quality pics during this retrofit and update my DIY using the new pictures...I will let you know when that time comes...:)

Clemsone46
03-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Interested in a set of bowls or a DIY on headlight dis-assembly? I have a short write-up for dis-assembly that I sent to a customer that I can dig up.

If anyone would like to get in line for a set of bowls or claim the remaining set I will have available here soon, please PM me and let me know
Thanks
Max

Hornung418
03-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Do you need any more? I have a set...but they are burned pretty badly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/18/7aratyve.jpg

Sent from my GS3.

NorCalZman
03-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Interested in a set of bowls or a DIY on headlight dis-assembly? I have a short write-up for dis-assembly that I sent to a customer that I can dig up.

Thanks
Max

Is it a thread or something? Can you post the link so I can see what's involved? Thanks

Tnhl1989
03-17-2014, 04:22 PM
I'll be interested in both. :)

Clemsone46
03-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Is it a thread or something? Can you post the link so I can see what's involved? Thanks

It is not contained in a thread. As I said I had just written it up to send to a customer. I will post the directions in this thread to keep everything together.
Again, whoever is interested in the second set, please pm me to 'reserve' them. I have quite a few inquiries on both here and other sites.
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
03-18-2014, 03:05 AM
First post updated with brief installation instructions. The procedure for removal and installation is straightforward.
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
03-21-2014, 05:09 AM
All sets currently reserved. Will keep everyone updated.
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
05-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Haven't updated this thread in a while. I have open slots for individuals to reserve sets. The two I currently have are spoken for. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks

Max

rguti153
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
First time reading this . Mmmmm tempting now fuck!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Clemsone46
05-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Newest sets have been shipped out. More sets should be available in 5-6 weeks. PM me to get your name put on the list.
Thanks

Max

LivesNearCostco
05-14-2014, 09:26 AM
I have one burnt ZKW bowl with working solenoid. If anyone also has one ZKW, let me know and maybe we can unify them into a happy family and sell them to Max to be revitalized! (He only buys pairs.) Otherwise, I'll try to sell it on eBay.

Clemsone46
05-23-2014, 03:24 AM
Still accepting members to place on the list. Should have sets available in 3-4 weeks.
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
06-02-2014, 02:58 AM
Still spaces on the waiting list. Wait time is short! (~3 weeks)
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
06-12-2014, 03:32 AM
3 sets will be ready in 2 weeks. I also have a complete set of headlight assemblies that will have one set installed in it. PM me with questions
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
07-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I have two sets ready for shipment to those interested.
PM me and let me know

Thanks

Max

danewilson77
07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Do the folks get their core charge back when you receive their bowls?

The friendliest forum on the planet!

Clemsone46
07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Do the folks get their core charge back when you receive their bowls?

The friendliest forum on the planet!

Dane,

Yes, the $30 core charge is refunded immediately after I receive the core bowls.
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
08-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Still have 2 sets for shipment

Max

Clemsone46
12-28-2014, 03:43 PM
3 sets will soon be available for shipment. PM me if you're interested!
Max

Clemsone46
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
2 sets spoken for, one still available for shipment this week

Max

Clemsone46
03-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Bump, should have a set or two ready to ship out in 2 weeks.
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
03-29-2015, 09:07 AM
3 sets ready to ship on Monday April 6th, PM me if you're interested.
Thanks
Max

ELCID86
03-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Fredo??

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

fredo
03-29-2015, 10:29 AM
You read my mind.

Clemsone46
03-30-2015, 02:07 PM
PM's returned. Thanks guys

Max

Clemsone46
04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
1st set of this batch shipped out, 3 sets remaining

Max

Clemsone46
08-21-2015, 03:43 AM
I have 2 full sets and 1 single bowl that will I'm taking names for now. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks
Max

ELCID86
08-21-2015, 04:00 PM
I have 2 full sets and 1 single bowl that will I'm taking names for now. PM me if you're interested.
Thanks
Max

Good to see you around. I've heard good things about these. (Hope the Tigers are going to have a good football season!)

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

bullfrogs_M3
09-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Any bowls/parts ready for purchase or exchange? My headlights are desperately in need of a refresh

Clemsone46
09-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Any bowls/parts ready for purchase or exchange? My headlights are desperately in need of a refresh

I should have sets ready within 5 weeks. If you'd like to be placed on the list, please let me know
Thanks
Max

ELCID86
09-23-2015, 02:47 PM
I should have sets ready within 5 weeks. If you'd like to be placed on the list, please let me know
Thanks
Max

Hey. Good to see you. I was just telling someone about you.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Clemsone46
10-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Hey. Good to see you. I was just telling someone about you.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
Uh oh!!

Sets will be available within a week or two, pm if you'd like to be placed on the list.
Thanks
Max

ELCID86
10-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Uh oh!!

Sets will be available within a week or two, pm if you'd like to be placed on the list.
Thanks
Max

LOL. I'm sure you'll have some customers. Btw, Tigers are looking good!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

330i Lover
11-15-2015, 07:18 PM
PM'd.

ikeupinya
11-17-2015, 09:40 AM
PM sent as well...another victim of the burnt bowl-eritis!!!

2wenty
11-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Just picked up a ZHP and the headlights aren't even useable. Are these sets factory replacement plastic bowls? And how much$? Thanks

Sockethead
11-19-2015, 10:43 AM
They are refurbished factory bowls... Check out the 1st post in this thread. He explains the process :)

330i Lover
12-08-2015, 07:34 AM
I can't get a response from clemsone46 so I'm looking elsewhere. Lightwerks is looking like a probable contender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Vas
12-08-2015, 07:42 AM
This is a good option however the fact that the seller stated that " As far as a warranty or guarantee of not burning up again, I cannot offer that" that is a little bit unsettling.

Lightwerkz is double the price but those lights will last for years. Especially if you are planning on keeping the car for the long run. But if you plan on selling it, I think replacing the old bowls with these ones is the way to go.

330i Lover
12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
I can't get a response from clemsone46 so I'm looking elsewhere. Lightwerks is looking like a probable contender.

330i Lover
12-10-2015, 07:58 PM
He responded a few hours ago. I'm awaiting his response before pulling the trigger with Lightwerkz.

On a side note, I haven't seen/heard any feedback from people that have had this done. Anyone know of someone that can speak to the improvements after our original bowls are "metalized"?

az3579
12-11-2015, 05:08 AM
On a side note, I haven't seen/heard any feedback from people that have had this done. Anyone know of someone that can speak to the improvements after our original bowls are "metalized"?

The only improvement to be had, per se, is that the lights will work as well as they did when they were new. It's effectively "resetting the clock".

Vas
12-11-2015, 02:38 PM
The only improvement to be had, per se, is that the lights will work as well as they did when they were new. It's effectively "resetting the clock".

Yeah I am with you. Retrofit is the best option out there.

Sockethead
12-11-2015, 03:01 PM
I don't see a problem with this... aren't ZKWs supposed to be the best OEM? I see this as a very good option for anyone that doesn't want to modify their assemblies for aftermarket. Though, it would be nice to hear some feedback from those that have gone this route.

cakM3
12-11-2015, 04:06 PM
For OEM I went with the AL headlight assemblies then retrofitted the ZKW lenses into them. It was a very simple swap of just the lens and am very pleased with the light output. I went ahead and did the same for my M3's AL headlight assemblies and have to say that this is the absolute best way to retain the OEM setup :thumbsup

Clemsone46
12-19-2015, 01:42 PM
I have pm'd those who message me prior. My apologies to those who were trying to reach me, the site was not providing me email notifications. I have a single bowl still available but will have some time before more full sets are complete.
Max

330i Lover
02-08-2016, 10:50 AM
I've recently replaced my burnt bowls with Clemsone46's replacement bowls and it's amazing the difference. The replacement bowls looks exactly how the original posts show both in-hand and behind the wheel. I'll be posting some pics here soon. Thank again for the bowls!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/07bd332ca88586ec33aaa1b03b28280b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/d3f7e84633b4af765d53372599984b5b.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/28b7ef44d1dfe65e0517fb0362799c15.jpg

cakM3
02-08-2016, 11:51 AM
Wait till you see the light output! You will be amazed by the difference! :thumbsup

330i Lover
02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Wait till you see the light output! You will be amazed by the difference! :thumbsup

I did, I drove to a super bowl party last night and couldn't believe what I could see. In the words of Borat, "Vayyyy Niiiiiice!!!"

Vas
02-08-2016, 12:19 PM
I've recently replaced my burnt bowls with Clemsone46's replacement bowls and it's amazing the difference. The replacement bowls looks exactly how the original posts show both in-hand and behind the wheel. I'll be posting some pics here soon. Thank again for the bowls!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/07bd332ca88586ec33aaa1b03b28280b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/d3f7e84633b4af765d53372599984b5b.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160208/28b7ef44d1dfe65e0517fb0362799c15.jpg

Wow your bowls were toast. Glad to hear you got them fixed. Guess its my turn now.

330i Lover
02-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Yes sir it is! Did you get replacement bowls from clemsone46 or going another route? I'm pretty slow with working on cars and it took me about 2-3 hours per head light and only broke 2 plastic clips.

Vas
02-08-2016, 07:13 PM
I keep bouncing the ideas on which way to go.

330i Lover
02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
I keep bouncing the ideas on which way to go.
Knowing previous DIY'S you've done I'd recommend getting the bowls from clemsone46, if available. If I can do it anyone can.

Sockethead
02-09-2016, 07:58 AM
besides replacing the whole assemblies, the bowl replacement is they way to go if you want to keep everything stock.... every other solution requires some kind of cutting, drilling epoxying...

ChristopherL
03-23-2016, 04:06 PM
PM sent to Clemsone46 - local in NH and would like to buy a pair of refurbed bowls.

Thanks,
Chris

330i Lover
03-24-2016, 05:44 AM
PM sent to Clemsone46 - local in NH and would like to buy a pair of refurbed bowls.

Thanks,
Chris
Nice, I have his email if you don't hear back soon. Last I remember he wasn't being notified when getting PM's. Hit me up if needed.

Clemsone46
03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
Nice, I have his email if you don't hear back soon. Last I remember he wasn't being notified when getting PM's. Hit me up if needed.

Thank you! PM's returned to all.

Max

NickZHP
03-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Thank you! PM's returned to all.

Max

Am I still on the waitlist? I never got a PM reply.

Clemsone46
03-25-2016, 05:33 AM
Am I still on the waitlist? I never got a PM reply.

Sorry about that Nick. Yes, you are on the list. I've had a longer wait for this batch of bowls as I've been traveling for work.
Stay tuned
Thanks
Max

Sockethead
03-25-2016, 05:35 AM
Are you interested in any cores? I still have my bowls from my FXR swap...

Clemsone46
03-25-2016, 06:43 AM
Are you interested in any cores? I still have my bowls from my FXR swap...

PM'd

Max

ZacharyMikel
03-27-2016, 09:10 PM
I also have a pair of cores, just completed an FX-R swap as well. I probably would have gone with your route had timing not been an issue.

Clemsone46
03-28-2016, 06:40 AM
I also have a pair of cores, just completed an FX-R swap as well. I probably would have gone with your route had timing not been an issue.

Feel free to PM me if you do have cores available.
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
08-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Taking names for upcoming sets of bowls that should be available for shipment within 5-7 weeks.
PM me if you're interested
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
09-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Have sets that will be ready for shipment in the next few days. Not all of them are spoken for so PM me if you're interested
Max

Clemsone46
09-27-2016, 04:20 AM
Have 2.5 sets available for immediate shipment.
PM me if interested
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
10-02-2016, 03:09 AM
I have a single bowl left, no more complete sets but if you'd like to get on the list or are interested in a single bowl, PM me
Thanks
Max

howe11
11-18-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm interested in a set. I sent a PM. Thanks!

SCA
11-20-2016, 08:55 PM
I am interested in a set. PM sent. Thank you!

Clemsone46
11-21-2016, 03:16 AM
All PM's returned, thanks!
Max

Clemsone46
01-25-2017, 03:06 AM
Have one set of these available for immediate shipment.

Max

Clemsone46
01-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Still have one set, possibly two, for immediate shipment.

Max

JPMo
01-31-2017, 03:22 PM
What are the shades and should I get the replacement bowls with them?

Clemsone46
02-05-2017, 05:09 AM
What are the shades and should I get the replacement bowls with them?

PM'd
Just an FYI to others with the same question, I offer the bowls with the auto-leveling shades and motors for convenience. This allows an easier removal and drop-in of the new bowls.

All bowls are sold but taking names for the next batch.
Max

JPMo
02-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Just performed the swap with the refurbished bowls with shades I got from Clemsone46. I am a novice DIYer and was able to complete the swap with reinstallation in about 4 hours. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the actual projector housing, once I discovered it took a bit of force, the 2nd set took 30min tops to perform. I would recommend getting the bowls with the shades and motors attached. Its an additional cost but made the swap so much easier to do. I know this probably isn't a permanent solution but Im hoping to get a year or 2 out of the refurbs. I'll update if anything changes.

The good: MASSIVE difference compared to the burnt bowls. Im running the Osram CBI xenon bulbs as well and Im almost ashamed to drive with this amount of light output and I feel like I'm blinding people. I'm not used to seeing light reflect off signs lol

The bad: Being a novice DIYer, I broke way too many things with my biggest issue being a windshield washer fluid leak caused during the headlight re-install while i was pulling at the lower trim/nozzle. The reservoir completely drained itself in an hour or so. :(:( I tend to use my washers quite often so this is very disappointing. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

**I was going to post pics but it keeps failing to upload**

BMWCurves
02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear they're a good improvement over the burnt out bowls.

Sorry to hear about the windshield washer fluid leak. I'm sure you can track it down, and shouldn't be too tough of a fix. If it's hoses those are cheap to replace, and if it's the reservoir it can probably be glued in some fashion since it's not under any significant pressure.

Clemsone46
02-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Just performed the swap with the refurbished bowls with shades I got from Clemsone46. I am a novice DIYer and was able to complete the swap with reinstallation in about 4 hours. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to remove the actual projector housing, once I discovered it took a bit of force, the 2nd set took 30min tops to perform. I would recommend getting the bowls with the shades and motors attached. Its an additional cost but made the swap so much easier to do. I know this probably isn't a permanent solution but Im hoping to get a year or 2 out of the refurbs. I'll update if anything changes.

The good: MASSIVE difference compared to the burnt bowls. Im running the Osram CBI xenon bulbs as well and Im almost ashamed to drive with this amount of light output and I feel like I'm blinding people. I'm not used to seeing light reflect off signs lol

The bad: Being a novice DIYer, I broke way too many things with my biggest issue being a windshield washer fluid leak caused during the headlight re-install while i was pulling at the lower trim/nozzle. The reservoir completely drained itself in an hour or so. :(:( I tend to use my washers quite often so this is very disappointing. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

**I was going to post pics but it keeps failing to upload**
Also sorry to hear about the breakage of the headlight washer fittings but glad the bowls are performing well. The washer fittings are a bit 'finicky' and the plastic seems to get rather brittle with age. I had this same issue when I first completed the swap on my car and found that a lug bolt (I had some laying around) fit perfectly into the o-ring on the washer fluid reservoir to eliminate the headlight washers temporarily. Simply remove the headlight washer pump from the reservoir and gently thread the lug bolt into it as a temp solution so you can still use your headlight washers.

Max

Clemsone46
04-03-2017, 03:17 AM
Taking names for the next round of bowls. PM me if you're interested
Thanks
Max

Cadeez
04-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Taking names for the next round of bowls. PM me if you're interested
Thanks
Max

I could be interested in a set, I've been looking at getting the TRFS kit, but this is a very interesting alternative. What's the cost for these bowl replacements w/ shipping, and also the lead time if ordered this week?

Clemsone46
04-05-2017, 09:59 AM
I could be interested in a set, I've been looking at getting the TRFS kit, but this is a very interesting alternative. What's the cost for these bowl replacements w/ shipping, and also the lead time if ordered this week?

From the original post:
'I am going to be providing this service for any individuals interested. However, the lead time is lengthy if I don’t have any completed so it will be just 2 or 3 individuals at a time. There will be an included core charge of $30 that will be refunded upon receiving your old bowls (this alleviates individuals having downtime on their cars). Bowls can be sent with or without the auto-leveling motors and shades, new bowls will be sent as requested with or without the shades (shades are an additional $15). The total price will be $240 + $30 core charge + shipping, $270 + shipping if no core provided. Shipping will be done using USPS flat rate boxing in the US ($12 + $3 insurance).'

Lead time is 4-6 weeks, I am taking names to be put onto my master list. No payment is accepted until bowls are ready to be shipped out.

Max

Cadeez
04-05-2017, 10:41 AM
From the original post:
'I am going to be providing this service for any individuals interested. However, the lead time is lengthy if I don’t have any completed so it will be just 2 or 3 individuals at a time. There will be an included core charge of $30 that will be refunded upon receiving your old bowls (this alleviates individuals having downtime on their cars). Bowls can be sent with or without the auto-leveling motors and shades, new bowls will be sent as requested with or without the shades (shades are an additional $15). The total price will be $240 + $30 core charge + shipping, $270 + shipping if no core provided. Shipping will be done using USPS flat rate boxing in the US ($12 + $3 insurance).'

Lead time is 4-6 weeks, I am taking names to be put onto my master list. No payment is accepted until bowls are ready to be shipped out.

Max

Oops, I stopped reading at the reviews part, didn't make it down to the nitty gritty detail at the bottom. So all in cost, less the core charge, is $255. Hmm, that's more than expected, I was hoping to be under the $200 mark... Please put my name on the list anyhow, and keep us posted. If by the time your new bowls are ready I haven't already gone with an alternate retrofit, I'll make my final decision then.

Clemsone46
04-29-2017, 03:35 AM
Oops, I stopped reading at the reviews part, didn't make it down to the nitty gritty detail at the bottom. So all in cost, less the core charge, is $255. Hmm, that's more than expected, I was hoping to be under the $200 mark... Please put my name on the list anyhow, and keep us posted. If by the time your new bowls are ready I haven't already gone with an alternate retrofit, I'll make my final decision then.
I've added you to the list.
Taking names for the next batch of bowls
PM if interested
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
05-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Bowls available for shipment, I have 2 sets without members names on them. PM me if you're interested
Thanks
Max

Clemsone46
05-14-2017, 02:57 PM
3 sets now available for immediate shipment
PM if interested
Max

Clemsone46
05-21-2017, 04:27 AM
2 sets available for shipment
PM if interested
Max

Clemsone46
05-25-2017, 09:33 AM
Sets available for immediate shipment, all PM's have been answered

Max

Clemsone46
06-17-2017, 03:18 AM
Have 2 sets available for immediate shipment!
PM me if you're interested
Max

Clemsone46
09-03-2017, 02:04 PM
Taking names for the next set of bowls to be released in the next 3-4 weeks

Max

danewilson77
10-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Taking names for the next set of bowls to be released in the next 3-4 weeks

MaxBumping for Longrangekilla

Sent from my S8+

Clemsone46
11-19-2017, 01:15 PM
I have 2 sets of bowls ready for immediate shipment. Please PM me if you’re interested
Thanks

Max

ELCID86
11-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Are the tigers going to dominate USC tonight??

Clemsone46
11-25-2017, 07:08 PM
Are the tigers going to dominate USC tonight??

It’s certainly looking that way!

Max

johnrando
11-27-2017, 06:35 PM
USC did not play, next game is the Pac-12 Championship. :biggrin

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joeybananaz18
01-24-2018, 05:44 AM
Max, seeing that this thread is now over 4 years old it seems like this process definitely works and there are a lot of happy customers out there. Have you heard from some of the original customers about how they've held up over the past few years?

Do you know when you'll have your next set of bowls ready?

Vas
01-24-2018, 08:49 AM
Sent a PM

Clemsone46
01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Max, seeing that this thread is now over 4 years old it seems like this process definitely works and there are a lot of happy customers out there. Have you heard from some of the original customers about how they've held up over the past few years?

Do you know when you'll have your next set of bowls ready?
I have heard from a couple of individuals who purchased the bowls and they are still performing well. My personal ZHP that I sold last year ran them for 5 years without issue. PM me if you would like to be placed on the wait list or if you have any other questions (or simply post here)
Thanks
Max

330i Lover
01-24-2018, 09:48 AM
I've had mine for at least 2 years and never had any issues. I'm extremely pleased with mine!

Clemsone46
01-27-2018, 05:21 AM
I've had mine for at least 2 years and never had any issues. I'm extremely pleased with mine!

Thanks for the kind words, glad they are performing well for you!

Max

Clemsone46
05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Have 1 set of bowls and 1 single bowl ready for immediate shipment
Please PM me if you are interested

Max

Vas
05-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Have 1 set of bowls and 1 single bowl ready for immediate shipment
Please PM me if you are interested

Max

Sent a pm a while back but never heard from you. Thanks

Clemsone46
05-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Sent a pm a while back but never heard from you. Thanks

Replied for your old burnt bowls

3 sets available for immediate shipment

Max

Clemsone46
05-21-2018, 04:11 PM
All pm’s replied to
Bump

Max

Clemsone46
06-06-2018, 08:48 AM
2 sets still available
Bump
Max

Clemsone46
06-17-2018, 01:50 AM
All pms replied to, 1.5 sets available (3 bowls total)

Max

Clemsone46
08-04-2018, 04:46 AM
Sets still available for immediate shipment. PM me if you're interested
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
10-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Bowls available for immediate shipment. Please pm me with any questions
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
06-12-2019, 05:31 AM
I have 2 sets of bowls available for immediate shipment, pm me if you’re interested

Max

Clemsone46
06-24-2019, 03:32 AM
Have 2 sets of bowls still available for immediate shipment. PM me if you’re interested
Thanks

Max

Clemsone46
09-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Have 2.5 sets of bowls available for shipment!
PM me with any questions

Max

Clemsone46
01-09-2022, 03:21 AM
Have two sets of bowls ready for shipment after wait list members are cleared. PM me if you’re interested.

Max

Clemsone46
11-28-2023, 11:13 AM
Good afternoon all,

It has been some time since I last updated this thread, been busy with fatherhood ;)
Regardless, I have 2 complete sets available for immediate shipment!

Please PM me if you're interested

Max

zhp4life
11-30-2023, 12:39 PM
@Clemsone46. I am interested in getting a pair. PM me with the price, I can send back the burn out ones. shipping to 75033.

Clemsone46
12-03-2023, 03:29 AM
@Clemsone46. I am interested in getting a pair. PM me with the price, I can send back the burn out ones. shipping to 75033.

PM’d!

Max

Clemsone46
01-13-2024, 07:29 AM
1 set pending, 1 set available
Bump!

Max

MrExcitement
03-02-2024, 03:17 PM
Are these still available?

Tnhl1989
03-02-2024, 10:33 PM
Is it possible to get these rechrome plated? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240303/a9566f430daec609e704ce9b2a6b5b61.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

John in VA
03-03-2024, 07:09 AM
You can have plastic rechromed - Google it! There are several methods/processes - don't know what would be appropriate for the light bowls. I wonder if it could be wrapped?
These guys are in CA - https://www.mmmetalizing.com/index.html
A place in NH - https://www.vacuum-metalizing.com/