PDA

View Full Version : BSW ib110 Subwoofer for convertibles

orange260z
10-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey all, just thought I'd share this. I recently purchased a BSW speaker system - the full Stage 1 setup, and the ib110 subwoofer system. Unfortunately, the rear convertible midwoofers are on backorder, so I haven't received those yet.

Note that I purchased the ib110 woofer and enclosure without the amp - I already have a Rockford Fosgate amp similar to the one BSW used to use. Although officially rated at 150W RMS into 4ohms, most of these US-made units put out in excess of 200W. I believe the RF BSW used was around 230W, and the new amp is about 250W - so I am running a little less power than the full kit.

Just for some background, I am in my early 40s, and as a former disc jockey I listen to a variety of music - my mix CDs could have Sarah Brightman after Flo Rida after Guns N Roses after Billy Joel. I do appreciate clarity in my music and like to listen to it reasonably loud. I use both CDs and a GROM USB unit as sources.

The jury is still out for me on the S1 speaker replacement. Yes, they do sound better than the stock ones. Yes, with the right quality recording AND THE RIGHT MUSIC they can sound excellent. However, at least at this time, I feel that they don't sound that great with most modern music that tends to either have distortion in the recording, or generally in music that has a lot of instruments playing at the same time - I find the sound to be very "congested". With simpler stuff - just a piano, or a guitar - they sound great. I do want to spend some more time listening before I pass judgement though, I only have a few hours in so far.

I shopped around quite a bit looking for subwoofer options, but ended up going for the BSW mainly to save on the limited trunk space. I was concerned about the bass quality and quantity - apparently needlessly so. I've been careful to keep the gain on my amp low and any bass boost turned off, but already I find the bass to be strong and hard-hitting - even with the top down at 120+ km/h. I'm VERY happy with this sub solution, and would have no problem recommending it to anyone who is not a hard-core basshead.

I'll provide some follow-up in a couple of weeks after some more seat time.

Avetiso
10-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

danewilson77
10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

+1

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

johnrando
10-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Great info. I've been considering their sub. I have the BSW fronts installed, and I have the rears on (back) order as well.

orange260z
10-07-2013, 03:46 AM
johnrando,

What did you think of the S1 front set up? It definitely goes louder than the originals, and definitely sounds better than the stock playing something "simple" and acoustic. In fact, I would say it sounds excellent playing something "simple" and acoustic. But I find that it doesn't sound very good when playing something "busy" or music with with a lot of built-in distortion, like Lady Gaga. I don't know if that is the speakers or the stock H/K amp.

Overall I would compare the new sound on "clean" recordings to be quite like the H/K system in my E90 330i, which I feel is my benchmark stereo - I thought that the overall sound quality, tonal balance, clarity, imaging all was excellent on that setup - but that setup did handle "busy" or distorted music better.

As I mentioned before, I was on the fence about the sub, unsure whether I would be better off to get 2 JL 6" enclosures in the trunk or what... but after a few weeks with a relatively compact (but full excursion) 10" Energy sub in the trunk as a test, I found the bass to be lacking and the truck space to be a huge issue. So I sprang for the BSW, and have no regrets on that front. It's a pretty snazzy looking aluminum woofer, too!!!

johnrando
10-07-2013, 09:17 AM
I'd have to agree with everything you said. Minor improvements in some areas. Can't beat the easy plug n play though. Afa the sub, space is an issue as you know so that's why I'm considering bsw too.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

orange260z
03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
johnrando and I have exchanged a couple of PMs discussing my BSW sub and the install. Overall, I would say that the install was pretty straightforward, and the online instructions BSW provides are quite good.

The one thing that frustrated the crap out of me was removing the existing sub. No, the frame was quite easy and the instructions make sense. The part that gave me the most trouble was the "hump" piece that hides the connector for the speaker wires going into the factory subwoofer. None of the instructions I found describe how to deal with this (or even identify it as a challenge) so I thought I'd post it here for future convertible owners.

As you can see in the next two pictures, the piece has a ridge on either side that goes into a channel on the back (ie not the face with the grille) of the subwoofer. Unfortunately, the piece also has two hooks at the front - so with the sub lying face down on in the trunk, you can't pull the hump straight up, but you can't pull it out either. The trick is to pull it out enough to unhook the hooks, and then pull the hump straight back. This is very hard to describe, so I hope the pictures at least help show what you're dealing with!

Please feel free to PM with any questions!

orange260z
06-06-2014, 01:14 PM
So I finally installed the rear mids this spring, and I thought I'd update this "review" after having the COMPLETE BSW system in there for a little while.

All previous my comments still stand. However, I now believe that the poor performance of the system with any "busy" or "congested" music is not due to the BSW speakers, but rather the stock HK amplifier - I think that the factory amplifier is VERY easily overwhelmed, and is pushed into distortion as soon as a heavier load (like the "busy" music) is placed on it.

I've got a call in to Jason at BSW to discuss this. In the absence of BSW's own "vaporware" amplifier, perhaps he can point me to some currently-available options. I'll keep you guys posted!

johnrando
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Definitely would like an amp option with a stage 1 setup. U hv the amp that came w the BSW sub? I seem to recall you don't?

sent from a galaxy

orange260z
06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Nope, my amp is a Rockford Fosgate mono amp similar to the one that they used before they went proprietary. Mine was very conservatively rated at only 150wpc, but that model routinely tested out at well over 200wpc. The one that they supplied at the time was 230wpc, and the current one at 250wpc.

However, I don't find any shortage of clean bass. The issue is the clarity from the mids and highs, and I believe that the weak point is the HK amp.

ELCID86
06-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Saw this sub for sale. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1034787

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

orange260z
06-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was mentioning that one to Johnrando earlier today. I think at $265 shipped (or less) it would be worth a try. It's a really small box, so it may not go too deep... but it may be just fine for the car.

johnrando
06-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm seriously considering it. Will move on it if I can just figure out EXACTLY what I need. Any ideas?

sent from a galaxy

orange260z
06-08-2014, 06:19 PM
sent you a pm

johnrando
06-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Got it, great info, thanks! Contacted the seller over there so we'll see.