PDA

View Full Version : Alignment question

330blast
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi all,

I need to put new tires on my ZHP. While I am quite determined on the Kumho Ecsta 4x, my question is actually on the alignment side.

I know the sports spec for ZHP is close enough, but is there any difference of performing alighment at a generic shop (firestone, general tire) vs. BMW specialized indy (and dealer)? I have heard that the alignment should be performed weighted and doudt the general stores are going to do that (didn't see Firestone did it on my previous e39).

Is it worth of the premium of taking the car to a bimmer shop?

Thanks.

johnrando
10-15-2013, 01:28 PM
I took my car to a tire shop, but one that's used to dealing with "sporty" cars and the like. So while personally I'd stay away from generic shops, plenty mafia use them with success. Conversely, that doesn't mean you need to go Indy or dealer. Try Yelp and see what's in your neighborhood close by. Then drive by and check out the parking lot, see what they typically work on. I went into the shop I picked (after reading Yelp), seeing several BMWs, etc in the lot, and had a conversation with the guy. He said they use specs as a guideline but want to know my driving style, as they adjust to that as well. That was enough for me! :biggrin

fredo
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I took my e90 to an Indy. They said the factory settings will wear out the inner side of the rear tires. 12,000 miles later all my tires are still in very good shape. They did a very good job. I will visit them when it's time for another alignment.

3ZHPGUY
10-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I was a wheel alignment tech at a tire store in another life back in the 70. That experience and the few after left me knowing how corrupt some of these business really are. Question?; why would a tire store want to give you a perfect alignment? If they do, it extends the time for that customer to return.

This is why I now only trust the dealer and never take it in unless I've changed a component that effects the alignment.

Fact, I just did my first alignment at 130K after changing my RTAB and had no problems with drive ability or tire wear to that point. That includes changing out the struts at 85K and the front control arms & bushings at 115K.

That's just my opinion and they are just like ass holes, everyone has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1027
10-16-2013, 04:35 PM
I know it's hard as hell to get the rear toe set correctly without a special tool. That's one good reason to take it to a shop that has experience aligning BMWs.

LTCMontana
10-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Find a shop that doesn't mind you hanging out and watching. My Indy let's me work with him and track the process. It will build trust and you can learn something. +1 on checking out the parking lot.