PDA

View Full Version : Ordered parts

Junior2552
11-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Hola. So, today, I pulled the trigger on a single mass flywheel from TMS, made by JB. It's the 20lb single mass unit that they suggest using with an E36 M3 clutch. Just curious if anybody has any experience using this? I didn't want to go with an aluminum lightweight wheel and ruin ALL harmonic/dampening characteristics, but I thought that a nice five pound drop would help with rotating mass.

I'm debating sending it back for a lightweight wheel for performance gains, but I don't think I'd be happy with a 12lb flywheel clattering around underneath me. I've heard the logic behind not pairing underdrive pulleys with a lightweight flywheel, but maybe the 20lb single mass is close enough to stock that it won't matter? I'm starting to second guess my decision :blink

Vas
11-19-2013, 09:41 AM
I would go through this thread and read it. Some helpful insight there

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9247-ZHP-Clutch-Replacement-DIY-(Long-amp-Detailed)

Junior2552
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I would go through this thread and read it. Some helpful insight there

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9247-ZHP-Clutch-Replacement-DIY-(Long-amp-Detailed)

Vas, thanks for the read; I didn't see that when I searched. However, it didn't give me any information I didn't already know. I have had several light weight flywheel cars, but it's not something I do unless I need to replace a clutch; I can assure you, I'm no Ricky Ricer, I need to replace my clutch, and would prefer a single mass swap instead of replacing the dual mass. If I wanted a lightweight flywheel, I wouldn't have asked about a 20lb steel one.

While that thread was informative, and I saved it, it didn't really direct me in my review of a single mass conversion. It seems like the symptoms of a lightweight flywheel were prevalent in the OPs case. I was hoping to avoid those with a 20lb single mass.

Vas
11-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Not a problem.

I also had vehicles with single mass flywheel conversions and I have always went with a aluminium unit like the Fidanza. The benefits from a light flywheel were always the main reason for getting it and noise from it was never a concern.

Wish I could offer some advice about the steel unit, but I do not have any experience with that.

Junior2552
11-19-2013, 02:10 PM
I hear ya. I think the 20lb wheel will be a nice upgrade. I guess I'll be the first to write a review on it!

Hornung418
11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Underdrive pulleys have nothing to do with the harmonics. Should you underdrive the crank then you will develop harmonic issues. Using a lightweight fly wheel is well documented.

On to your issue. It's not the weight loss that you will notice with the 20lb wheel, it's the fact that its a single mass wheel. The feel and the rev matching ability should be improved.

Sent from my GS3.

Junior2552
11-19-2013, 09:57 PM
Underdrive pulleys have nothing to do with the harmonics. Should you underdrive the crank then you will develop harmonic issues. Using a lightweight fly wheel is well documented.

On to your issue. It's not the weight loss that you will notice with the 20lb wheel, it's the fact that its a single mass wheel. The feel and the rev matching ability should be improved.

Sent from my GS3.

Thanks for the input. That makes some sense. While I've owned lightweight flywheel cars before, I've never swapped from a dual mass to a single mass.

Vas
11-20-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm curious to see pictures and a review of this set-up though :)

derbo
11-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Don't forget to do the rear main seal while you have the flywheel removed!

sent from a Moto X

Junior2552
11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Don't forget to do the rear main seal while you have the flywheel removed!

sent from a Moto X

Haha, sure thing! I think I might just take the whole motor out, clean it up, do the clutch and flywheel, and do the VAC cylinder head while its all apart. It's a little overkill. But, it seems easiest lol.