PDA

View Full Version : A harsh reality

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I just finished my first track weekend and had a ton of fun. Among the things that I learned and need to continue to work on I learned that I simply do not fit in my car when it comes to being on the track. I can wiggle the seat around and fold myself into a suitable shape for driving on the street, but having a helmet on just throws all of that out of the window. I come to you, now, for advise.

The shortest telling of the story is that I'm too tall. My initial attempts to adjust my seat had me with the seat way too far back, which just promoted me slipping around in the car and using the steering wheel as a brace. After a few runs I gave up on trying to keep the top of my helmet off of the roof and moved the seat as close to the wheel as possible and still be able to swivel my head.

At the same time I had finally learned the trick of moving the seat way back, getting the seat belt to lock and then moving the seat back up into my driving position to hold me in the seat. This didn't help the main problem so much, but it did help me feel more comfortable taking corners.

Even with moving the seat back up and having my knees (probably a little too) close to the dash my arms were nearly straight when I was holding onto the wheel. Which, as you fine gentlemen know, just wont do.

Because I want to keep going to HPDEs and really enjoyed this past weekend, its something that I want to keep up. But with my seat position being what it is, I cant see myself getting comfortable enough to be able to progress.

Do any of you have recommendations of cars that might suit a person of height better (I'm 6'6" by the way)? My friends who I was with at the track were recommending switching out the seats, which I'm ok with the idea of, but just not in the car I have currently. The interior is in very good shape and if I'm going to start down that road I want to do it to a car with an interior that is worn. I've tried hopping into an e30 with race seats and I ran into the same issue. My friends e36m wasnt very bad. I'd possibly be open to a manufacturer switch if it would mean a significant increase in comfort without a drop in performance\handling.

BCS_ZHP
11-25-2013, 08:34 AM
If you happen to be in the Northern Virginia area over the Holidays, you're welcome to try a test fit of your body with helmet in my son's coupe. His is a non-sunroof ZHP coupe and we recently swapped the powered sport seats out for a set of non-powered M3 seats. The lack of the sunroof track mechanism gives you an inch or so and the lack of electric motors in the drivers seat also lowers it closer to the floor.

Also the racing seats you mentioned go much closer to the floor, you'll need to buy the e46-specific rail mounts and these racing seats bolt right up to the factory locations.

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I actually am going to be in the Manassas a few times one is going to be on the 16th and 17th of Dec and then again for the week of January 12. Once were a little closer to those dates I'll send you a message. Thank you for the offer.

LivesNearCostco
11-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I'm not nearly that tall, but two Captain Obvious questions.
1) Did you lower the seat as low as it will go?
2) Did you extend the telescoping steering wheel as far towards you as it will go?

BCS_ZHP
11-25-2013, 09:22 AM
I actually am going to be in the Manassas a few times one is going to be on the 16th and 17th of Dec and then again for the week of January 12. Once were a little closer to those dates I'll send you a message. Thank you for the offer.

We live about 10-20 minutes from Manassas, depending upon which part of that city you're in. Feel free to hit me up, his car will be back home from college by then.

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm not nearly that tall, but two Captain Obvious questions.
1) Did you lower the seat as low as it will go?
2) Did you extend the telescoping steering wheel as far towards you as it will go?

Seat back [the rear adjustment for the seat height] is down as far as possible. I have the front up some to give my legs some support just because of the angle that my knees have to be at. Wheel is all of the way out as well.

Sometimes its the simple questions that solve a problem, so they're usually the best ones to ask.

johnrando
11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Get a vert? Just kidding. Sounds like there are some options left. Hope it works out.

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 09:41 AM
I had joked with my instructor about getting a vert and just having a ridiculously tall roll bar in it.

Torxuvin
11-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Despite this possibly sounding self serving (it's not), have you thought about corvettes at all? I have a friend that is 6'8" that sold his e46 sedan for a c5 corvette, so he would have more space. Fairly inexpensive entry (10-25k depending on condition/year/options), maintenance, parts, mods, and great on track. Aside from your mention of an e36m, it's one of the best affordable used cars to turn into a HPDE/track car. Have you driven any Evos or STIs? I felt like I had a lot of extra adjustable space in them. (disclaimer: I'm only 6')

Good luck to you. That said, the suggestion for racing seats may be much easier and work well. Just swap them out for daily driving.

Avetiso
11-25-2013, 11:43 AM
How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and I don't find it that bad...

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and I don't find it that bad...

I'm 6'6" and its pretty miserable. How do you have your seat set up?

For street driving its pretty survivable. But with a helmet on my head is firmly planted on the roof, making the movement for looking around on the track more effort and the extra height from the helmet is keeping my arms almost fully extended.
Non exact measurements are
28" shoulder to first knuckle
40" butt to top of head (nearly) so add a couple to get the helmet height in
46.5" heel to back of butt

derbo
11-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Have you considering a racing seat with low profile mounts? That will solve your ceiling problem but not necessarily the length problem. I have a Recaro SPG in my car its significantly lower than the lowest setting on the stock seat. The center console acts as armrest more than the armrest itself.

Avetiso
11-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Oh, okay. Yeah having a helmet would be a no for me. Get a new seat, or some custom metal work to lower yours. More extreme option: sun roof delete via custom carbon fiber roof. That's mad money if you can't do most of the work yourself, though. Plus it'd be good on the track.

#tallpeopleproblems

Vas
11-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I would do a proper racing seat with low-mounts

toddness
11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Do the seats go back further, thus more room, in the sedan?

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think there is a difference there. My problem isn't that the seat doesn't go back far enough, its that I cant get close enough. I can get pretty far forward, but because of the length of my torso and head plus the helmet I'm leaning back so far that my arms are way too extended. And there is no way that I saw to have my head off of the roof and be able to reach the wheel.

derbo
11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
An aftermarket steering wheel with a steering hub extender would solve this problem. The only major con is you will lose your airbag.

I know this isnt an BMW picture but the hub between the column and wheel have various lengths.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mbSD8YuH7Jo/UJE559Lb9EI/AAAAAAAAIEA/nBkLvAOtU1o/s1600/Mazda+MX-5+Super25+(2012)+Dashboard.jpg

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1038-momo-steering-wheel-spacer-15mm.aspx

danewilson77
11-25-2013, 03:49 PM
An aftermarket steering wheel with a steering hub extender would solve this problem. The only major con is you will lose your airbag.

I know this isnt an BMW picture but the hub between the column and wheel have various lengths.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mbSD8YuH7Jo/UJE559Lb9EI/AAAAAAAAIEA/nBkLvAOtU1o/s1600/Mazda+MX-5+Super25+(2012)+Dashboard.jpg

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1038-momo-steering-wheel-spacer-15mm.aspx

Love this.

#shortpeoplerule

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
I was actually thinking of a solution like that, though i hadnt looked into details, but that would def be something that id only be willing to do for a dedicated track car.

derbo
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
I was actually thinking of a solution like that, though i hadnt looked into details, but that would def be something that id only be willing to do for a dedicated track car.

Yea, but if you get a removable steering wheel hub too, it can be a theft deterrent as well. :)

Asiah119
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Much better than The Club

brettbimmer
11-26-2013, 01:02 PM
I hope that you were able to enjoy the HPDE in spite of the helmet clearance issues!

Your post reminds me of this :biggrin

On a more serious note, I would suggest as others have trying out a racing seat for the cheapest solution if you really like the E46, even if it means swapping it in & out for HPDE's. It is usually fairly simple to do, four bolts plus wiring, assuming that you have a seatbelt receiver attached to either seat. I ended up putting Sparco Monzas in my E30, and being 5'10" (or 5'11" on a good day), I had to sit on a phone book to see over the dash due to my short torso (not tech inspection approved :shifty), so I ended up having a friend help me add some short bushings to elevate the seat a bit to a better position.

I have a friend with an aftermarket racing seat in his E36 M3 and the clearance is not really any different then what you would get in the E46, so unless you have other reasons to change out to an E36 M, I don't see that to be much of an advantage.

Seat brackets which I used in my old E30 were those made to fit the racing seats properly into the car, and the seats went MUCH further back then stock seats. A couple of photos of them from my former E30, keeping in mind that these seats are lifted a bit (1/2" or so) for my use. Another idea may be taking a trip out to OG Racing in Sterling, VA if that is anywhere near your trek north. The beauty is that you can actually try the seats on their display to see if you like the fitment without having to purchase them first.

az3579
11-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow, Brett; you didn't strike me as someone that's that short in person (to not be able to see over the dash). Those seats must really lower the seating position. This sounds like the ideal solution.

brettbimmer
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow, Brett; you didn't strike me as someone that's that short in person (to not be able to see over the dash). Those seats must really lower the seating position. This sounds like the ideal solution.

Haha thanks BP. Yep, very short torso here. Made for an interesting driving experience for me without the bushings. Hope this is a solution to our tall ZHP drivers looking to accommodate a helmet for HPDEs!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk