PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Can/CVV delete mod doityourself

Smolck
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
So I wanted to share this with you all because honestly, I think it is an EXCELLENT way to not only improve performance and longevity in your engine, but it also ELIMINATES the worst BMW invention since the window regulator, the crank case vent valve!

I was working on reducing my oil consumption and it led me to a thread about catch cans here (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6636869#post6636869).

A friend of mine had an unused catch can from a turbo motor he never finished and he let me have it so I figured I would try it. I basically copied the OP's design from the thread. The only difference was my can had 3/8 fittings so I had to buy a 3/4 to 5/8 reducer and then a 5/8 to 3/8 reducer for the valve cover connection and a 5/8 to 3/8 reducer on the air distribution block side. I used the Oreilley Auto Parts PCV valve listed on page 2 and installed it between the can and the air distribution block (on the vacuum side). I then just capped the oil dipstick return hole with a 3/8 cap. Then pulled the CVV and we are done.

All I can say is wow! There is no denying the car has more power due to better sealing rings under the increased vacuum. And it is INCREASED vacuum. At idle, you have to really WANT to get the oil fill cap off, when you do there is a large WOOOSH as you break the vacuum seal. But this extra vacuum is what helps the rings seal better as the M54 uses low tension rings and many believe extra vacuum is just what the doctor ordered. Down side is, if you have older or ailing valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing gaskets, or even leaky dipstick tube o-rings, you will want to replace them as they will likely let go under all this vacuum. All my stuff was new so I have had ZERO issues.

Beyond the increase in power I also lessened my oil consumption by 300-400 miles per qt. I KNOW my car has gunked up oil control rings, so a healthier, lower mileage engine will likely benefit more.

The other super cool thing (IMO) is the amount of crap that is no longer being sucked into my intake and cylinders (probably what gummed up my rings to begin with) and being caught in the "catch can". And I have ZERO chance of ever having a CVV related failure or hydrolocking the engine because the valve locks up and sucks all the oil out of my dipstick tube and into the motor.

I only have to empty the can about 2 times monthly. But you will likely only have to do it every oil change. I just get more blow by and crap because of my ring issue.

Before you run out to ebay and buy the $33 cans let me just remind you, ALL CANS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. Some of the ebay ones are simply a can with two inlets and NOTHING inside the can. What you want is a can with internal baffling and some sort of media (mine uses stainless steel scrubber pads like you can buy at the grocery store) to allow the oil and liquids to grab onto so only clean air and vapor make it out of the can. This is paramount because the can won't do its job well without that media.

So good luck, I think this is a MUCH better way to do it than what BMW did with the CVV.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=406537&d=1383951428

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=406539&d=1383951428

Stuff it catches...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=406540&d=1383951428

With COLD AIR KIT INSTALLED....I have since re-routed the hose under the heat shield.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=408995&d=1385238495

johnrando
12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks for posting.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 01:17 PM
A really cheap option is to use one of these and two 3/8 fittings and you'd be invested by about $50 with hoses and clamps. This will do an excellent job since it is designed to separate water from compressed air. Any Home Depot will have them in the tool section. LOWES will NOT! (ask me how I know) Just make sure you remove and cap off the schrader valve at the bottom. As I found out, the vacuum applied is enough to cause it to open inwards and causes a small vacuum leak.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Standard-Poly-Bowl-Filter-HDA70603AV/100040942#.Upz4dif7dtg

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for posting.

+1

So you're not swapping in a new engine? You're not going to try and kill it?

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Smolck
12-02-2013, 01:34 PM
+1

So you're not swapping in a new engine? You're not going to try and kill it?

Greatly depends on how my "desludging" process goes. If it still consumes a qt every 400 miles, I am going to blow it up once my tax check shows up. Or maybe I will part it out and make some money back. The Cams and head have some value at least.

I just bought a set of headers for it too, so it isn't like I am going to take it easy on the old girl. She has to keep up. I would say my car is going to be spending some time in the extreme upper RPM ranges with the easy revving header mod!

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Very nice mod. I may look into this to go along with a fer other mods.

Plus my ccv needs to be replaced anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

derbo
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I like this mod. Unfortunately Smog emissions will fail visuals with this setup.

Lanister
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Why not just rebuild the motor? Wouldn't that be the cheapest route?

Btw, thanks for the post. Having just completed my CVV refresh, I definitely will be following this thread to see how it goes long-term. Speaking of catch can solutions. Back when I had my turbo dsm, I also had a similar issue. The initial design from factory was awful because it ran a hose directly from the head cover and into the intake, which runs directly into the cold turbine. As you can imagine, over time, the inside of the intake would get covered in oil and the same would happen to the turbine. So the simple solution was cut into the hose and put a simple fuel filter in. All I had to do is change the $3.00 filter once every 10k miles. As you can see in the photo, the filter is transparent so you can actually see as it gets filled up with oil. Even if it was full, there was no effect on the performance. It was just a big eyesore. Subsequent work on the intake showed no oil residue on the inside. I reckon if something similar would simplify your CVV solution even further.

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I like this mod. Unfortunately Smog emissions will fail visuals with this setup.

Yay for not having any emissions regulations in Florida then.

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Btw, thanks for the post. Having just completed my CVV refresh, I definitely will be following this thread to see how it goes long-term. Speaking of catch can solutions. Back when I had my turbo dsm, I also had a similar issue. The initial design from factory was awful because it ran a hose directly from the head cover and into the intake, which runs directly into the cold turbine. Over time, the inside of the intake would get covered in oil and the same would happen to the turbine. So the simple solution was cut into the hose and put a simple fuel filter in. All I had to do is change the $3.00 filter once every 10k miles. As you can see in the photo, the filter is translucent so you can actually see as it gets filled up with oil. Even if it was full, there was no effect on the performance. It was just a big eyesore. Subsequent work on the intake showed no oil residue on the inside. I reckon if something similar would simplify your CVV solution even further.

So instead of the catch can you just ran that filter?

Smolck
12-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Very nice mod. I may look into this to go along with a fer other mods.

Plus my ccv needs to be replaced anyway.

I was a little hesitant at first, but now, after doing it and seeing the IMMEDIATE benefit and the ease of doing it, I wouldn't even think about going back to the old valve. What a POS.

Could easily be made to look better for smog inspection. And a few of the cans look OEM. See the one on the OP of the thread I used as my guide. With 3/4 hose from start to finish it can easily be made to look like it belongs there. In my state, we don't have smog checks or even state inspections so I didn't worry about how it looked. This was more for proof of concept. Eventually I'll get a better can with 3/4 fittings so I don't have to neck it down.

Considering I have roughly $30 invested in this setup, so no a rebuild isn't even in the same stratosphere in relation to the cost.

Even when I get my new engine, I would run this vs the stock setup. The M54 is built with LOW tension piston rings. Extra vacuum helps them seal, this makes the car run better, plain and simple. A guy I know makes scavenge pumps for race prepped E46's and other BMW's and says that they usually see 15% increase in power on the dyno from extra vacuum. I can also confirm, you will feel it. Or at least I did.

It also is a much cleaner way to run your vehicle. If you look in the post I linked on post #1 you will see on page 6 or 7 that the original guy who did this cleaned his tailpipe of carbon after doing the mod. He had NO carbon residue to speak of after many, many miles. I would bet that nasty black residue we all get inside the intake (you see it when you replace the DISA) will be greatly reduced if not eliminated this way. And because it is still a closed system it is emissions friendly. I have been running it for 2000 miles and have gotten NO check engine lights and all my trims look spot on. The guy who gave me the idea has over 30k miles on his setup if memory serves. No issues.

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I was a little hesitant at first, but now, after doing it and seeing the IMMEDIATE benefit and the ease of doing it, I wouldn't even think about going back to the old valve. What a POS.

Yeah mine has been in need of replacing for a while but I just haven't had time. I'm going to look into doing this after the new year.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Quick video and picture of the re-routed hoses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JBDk2pzwZA&feature=youtu.be

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow super clean. Looks OEM.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the kudos! I could clean it up a bit , but like you, Alabama doesn't do inspections, so it can look as bad as I can stand.

328ioc
12-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Amen.

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 03:40 PM

+1

Lanister
12-02-2013, 03:45 PM
So instead of the catch can you just ran that filter?

Yep, just the filter.

328ioc
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Interesting.........

QC_ZHP
12-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Subbing to read this thread tonight when I get home.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-Kit-for-BMW-E46-3-SeriesM3-P298.aspx
It's a bit pricey, but Radium's stuff looks top notch

Smolck
12-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Yep, just the filter.

I struggle to see how just a filter like that will do what you need it to do. Remember, it isn't filtering particles out of fluid, that isn't the function of a catch can at all. It is taking vapor (and some fluid) and letting the heavy particles settle in the can and on the media and letting the cleaned air pass through to the intake. Remember one big difference with the E46 vs other cars is that it needs to be under vacuum. Not sure the fuel filter is enough on a car that will be pulling that much vacuum (and stuff) through the filter.

Subbing to read this thread tonight when I get home.

Has anyone seen this? http://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can-Kit-for-BMW-E46-3-SeriesM3-P298.aspx
It's a bit pricey, but Radium's stuff looks top notch

Yes, that kit is perfect, though I am not sure what the baffling looks like. However it would be better than mine in that the fittings are larger and you wouldn't have to step down the hose as much as I did. And if I WAS going to drop that much coin, it would be for this one.......http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

But this is the one the guy who I stole the idea from used, and it is about perfect. I think I will put one under my tree for myself this year...
http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Stealth-Oil-Catch-Can_p_289.html

Smolck
12-02-2013, 04:52 PM
How did this get moved? How is this not a project? The forum description says "The place to chronicle your individual modifications, projects, and other additions."

Is this not an individual modification? Does a stock ZHP have an oil catch can?

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm doing this soon. Not sure which way I'm gonna go yet though.

$350 to rid the beast of CCV system seems like a bargain in my book, and it can be done much cheaper than that as stated.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm doing this soon. Not sure which way I'm gonna go yet though.

$350 to rid the beast of CCV system seems like a bargain in my book, and it can be done much cheaper than that as stated.

Agreed. Not to mention you have an amazing vehicle, it deserves it! Wish mine looked half as good as yours. I will say Dane, with your mileage, you might feel the same power gains I did with the extra vacuum. I'd go the cheap route, see if you like it, and then go all out. That is what I am doing/did.

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM
How did this get moved? How is this not a project? The forum description says "The place to chronicle your individual modifications, projects, and other additions."

Is this not an individual modification? Does a stock ZHP have an oil catch can?

Smolck, I apologize.

I moved it only for the fact that the project forum gets filled up mainly with car builds. You were absolutely correct to put it in projects.

I was personally having a tough time finding it on my phone, so I moved it to where I thought it would yield the most benefit to our members based on how the project subforum morphed, pretty much solely, into a car build documentation forum.

Give me the word and I'll move it back.

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Agreed. Not to mention you have an amazing vehicle, it deserves it! Wish mine looked half as good as yours. I will say Dane, with your mileage, you might feel the same power gains I did with the extra vacuum. I'd go the cheap route, see if you like it, and then go all out. That is what I am doing/did.

Will do. Great recommendation.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Smolck, I apologize.

I moved it only for the fact that the project forum gets filled up mainly with car builds. You were absolutely correct to put it in projects.

I was personally having a tough time finding it on my phone, so I moved it to where I thought it would yield the most benefit to our members based on how the project subforum morphed, pretty much solely, into a car build documentation forum.

Give me the word and I'll move it back.

Nope, I just thought I screwed up. I leave it to your good judgement sir. No offense, just confusion. I'm good.

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Sounds good. Thanks again for wonderful eye opening contribution.

Avetiso
12-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Smolck, this is a badass contribution. Thank you. I will probably be doing this to my car as well. I know derbo mentioned SMOG, but my guy is... nice. :)

Anyway, what would you reckon the power gains are? Think 10hp at the engine is fair?

Smolck
12-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Smolck, this is a badass contribution. Thank you. I will probably be doing this to my car as well. I know derbo mentioned SMOG, but my guy is... nice. :)

Anyway, what would you reckon the power gains are? Think 10hp at the engine is fair?

I hate to throw out numbers like that when I have no hard evidence (i.e. dyno sheet). Here are the only facts I have on this. I personally feel more power. Others who have done this mod report the same thing. A guy who builds BMW race engines and installs scavenger pumps (adds vacuum) says it adds 15% or so on the dyno. Beyond that, I have no hard data.

But again, the way I plumbed my system, I only had to sacrifice two the hoses. I left the CVV mounted, so going back to stock would have been no harder than replacing a couple $20 hoses to the CVV. The car will pass smog, and if you go with a better can than me, one that allows 3/4 or 5/8 tube all the way, and add the OEM tab style clamps, it would look OEM.

derbo
12-02-2013, 07:40 PM
A catch can is always better that recirculating the fumes and gunk back into the intake manifold. It would seem to me as purely a part of the emissions components. I am not sure the effects of its remove has on tailpipe emissions but I know visually it will fail. I should try and test it out with it removed on the smog dyno to see what it the tailpipe numbers are.

sent from Moto X

Smolck
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM
A catch can is always better that recirculating the fumes and gunk back into the intake manifold. It would seem to me as purely a part of the emissions components. I am not sure the effects of its remove has on tailpipe emissions but I know visually it will fail. I should try and test it out with it removed on the smog dyno to see what it the tailpipe numbers are.

sent from Moto X

I've been a gearhead for years, but never heard the term "smog dyno" before. I suppose it is because emissions isn't an issue where I live. Sounds pretty cool. I'd be interested in the numbers.

One of the most intriguing things for me is, the liquid goop I am catching in the cast must have been making it into my oil through the CVV's return line. How do these engines live so long with all that crap running back down the dipstick tube?

328ioc
12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I've been a gearhead for years, but never heard the term "smog dyno" before. I suppose it is because emissions isn't an issue where I live. Sounds pretty cool. I'd be interested in the numbers.

One of the most intriguing things for me is, the liquid goop I am catching in the cast must have been making it into my oil through the CVV's return line. How do these engines live so long with all that crap running back down the dipstick tube?

Just a thought but I wonder what kinda crap you would find in the can if you ran some seafoam through the motor.

danewilson77
12-02-2013, 08:12 PM

IDK because the Blackstone oil analysis say it's a good system based on data. .

Smolck
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Just a thought but I wonder what kinda crap you would find in the can if you ran some seafoam through the motor.

Funny you should ask. I have another thread about sticking oil rings, in it I describe my woes. One thing I did was run Marvel Mystery Oil and currently I have a mix of dino oil, ATF and seafoam. What I noticed with the MMO was more "crap" and it was black vs the whiteish colored stuff. Here is a pic, I thinned it some to get it to pour from the can, but you can clearly see the chunks of "stuff" in there. Scary!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=406773&d=1384112768

IDK because the Blackstone oil analysis say it's a good system based on data. .

I am sure it is a good system, but this crap I am catching had to be going somewhere, no?

az3579
12-02-2013, 08:26 PM
You couldn't post this just a couple of days ago, could you? lol
I literally just replaced the CCV... ugh.

Smolck
12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
You couldn't post this just a couple of days ago, could you? lol
I literally just replaced the CCV... ugh.
If it makes you feel better, so had I. My CVV has roughly 300 miles on it, just sitting in my garage staring at me. Stupid plastic POS. Maybe I will blow it up come New Years when the fireworks stands open back up!

az3579
12-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I just showed this thread to a BMW tech friend of mine. His question is: what did you do with the remaining 3 openings?
The CCV attaches to the intake in 2 different locations and also connects to the dip stick tube.

He also makes the statement that the increased pressure on the piston rings will wear out the piston rings prematurely.

derbo
12-02-2013, 08:39 PM

California Smog Emission test involves a visual test, 15mph dyno emission test and a 25mph emission test. No fun at all since a car may pass idle smog emission test but at 25mph it may fail. :X

QC_ZHP
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Ironically this was bumped on e46f http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=996777

Avetiso
12-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Ironically this was bumped on e46f http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=996777

Someone is watching. :shifty

330i ZHP
12-03-2013, 12:09 AM
no ccv on ess ts

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:28 AM
I just showed this thread to a BMW tech friend of mine. His question is: what did you do with the remaining 3 openings?
The CCV attaches to the intake in 2 different locations and also connects to the dip stick tube.

He also makes the statement that the increased pressure on the piston rings will wear out the piston rings prematurely.

I connected the valve cover vent to the catch can's "in" side. I connected the side you can't see to the air distribution block with the OE fitting, I just pulled it loose from the hose that runs down to the CVV and used a clamp to connect it to the hose. This does two things: 1. Keeps the air distribution block in the mix so it equalizes the vacuum in the cylinders and 2. looks cleaner. See the picture, Mine is the same. The OE fitting is there, and the piece that runs the length of the upper intake is retained as well. The last connection, the dipstick tube, is capped.

As for wearing out the cylinders prematurely, I say that is nonsense. The guy who I stole the idea from has done over 40k miles and his car has well over 170k miles on it with no ill effects (no oil burning, smoking, etc). And my car has 202k miles on it. The rings were ALREADY worn, so I suspect that this is bringing them back closer to factory fresh sealing.

No offense to your friend, but I have never met a BMW tech that is willing to think outside the BMW box. Not to mention a lot of people bring me their cars to work on after a BMW tech has misdiagnosed their issue. I recall recently a guy had a tech at the dealer tell him his car smoked slightly because the valve stem seals were shot and they wanted $4500 to fix them. I told him, it is your CVV. For $300 he had a fixed car and no more smoking.

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 06:29 AM

Any retort here from anyone.

Piston ring premature life cycle?

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Any retort here from anyone.

Piston ring premature life cycle?

See above. How the heck can I have PREMATURE wear at 202k miles? In theory sure, better seal = more wear, but I am not putting THAT much extra vacuum in them. Oil is in the motor for a reason, to LUBRICATE. And, the E46 has individual oil squirters for each bore, I have a feeling it is just fine.

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Ok. I was referring more in regard, if someone did this at 60k to eliminate CCV system.

Missed your last post. Reading now.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:36 AM
Ok. I was referring more in regard, if someone did this at 60k to eliminate CCV system.

That I can't say. If I had a low mileage motor that consumed no oil, I'd probably stay with the factory CVV.

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I agree somewhat with the BMW tech comment. I've had the same experience, and agree with the "outside the box" comment, but it still MAY be somewhat valid so I wouldn't totally discount it.

But, with any modification to the oe design of e46 carries some risk, however slight.

328ioc
12-03-2013, 06:42 AM
That I can't say. If I had a low mileage motor that consumed no oil, I'd probably stay with the factory CVV.

I have 100k less miles on my motor and I consume a very small amount of oil over maybe 6k miles. Basically the light will come on every so often around 6500.

So I'll do the catch can mod after the new year and report my findings.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:42 AM
I agree somewhat with the BMW tech comment. I've had the same experience, and agree with the "outside the box" comment, but it still MAY be somewhat valid so I wouldn't totally discount it.

Not totally discounting it, but in my case, with 202k miles and burning oil like it does, have little other choice except a new motor, or feed my car 10-12qts of oil between oil changes which is expensive. Long term wear is something I am not equipped to measure. I can only go by what the guys who have done this before me report.

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Agree. I think it's the right decision and may yield some great data for the e46 community.

az3579
12-03-2013, 06:47 AM
See above. How the heck can I have PREMATURE wear at 202k miles? In theory sure, better seal = more wear, but I am not putting THAT much extra vacuum in them. Oil is in the motor for a reason, to LUBRICATE. And, the E46 has individual oil squirters for each bore, I have a feeling it is just fine.

You just did the catch can mod so you can't yet attest to the reliability. Nobody said your piston rings have worn out prematurely (especially since you JUST did this mod). I was just posing a potential issue, and until someone has run this setup for at least 100k miles, we won't know for sure. What I do know is that the risk to me isn't worth it until it's proven to be reliable. If this ends up being a reliable setup, then great! It sure would be nice to eliminate this stupid CCV system.

Regardless, what did you do to plug the remaining holes for the CCV setup? We are both curious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

330i ZHP
12-03-2013, 06:48 AM
good luck to all with this mod - safe, good or not

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Proof is a good thing BP. Absolutely. He was going to swap his motor and this reached very positively. At 193k miles (me), with my CCV being oe, I would maybe consider it.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 06:53 AM
You just did the catch can mod so you can't yet attest to the reliability. Nobody said your piston rings have worn out prematurely (especially since you JUST did this mod). I was just posing a potential issue, and until someone has run this setup for at least 100k miles, we won't know for sure. What I do know is that the risk to me isn't worth it until it's proven to be reliable. If this ends up being a reliable setup, then great! It sure would be nice to eliminate this stupid CCV system.

Regardless, what did you do to plug the remaining holes for the CCV setup? We are both curious.

The holes on the CVV itself are irrelevant since the CVV is no longer on the vehicle. I connected the valve cover output to one side, the intake vacuum/air distribution block to the other side, and capped the return line in the dipstick.

I have 2500 miles on the setup, give or take. Not one CEL or anything negative. Again, the guy that did this before me and I copied the idea from has had his for over a year or more and over 40k miles on his, he also reports no ill effects......other than that, I can't say. Good news is I rack up over 40k miles per year, so we will have long term results sooner rather than later.

az3579
12-03-2013, 06:54 AM
The holes on the CVV itself are irrelevant since the CVV is no longer on the vehicle. I connected the valve cover output to one side, the intake vacuum/air distribution block to the other side, and capped the return line in the dipstick.

I have 2500 miles on the setup, give or take. Not one CEL or anything negative. Again, the guy that did this before me and I copied the idea from has had his for over a year or more and over 40k miles on his, he also reports no ill effects......other than that, I can't say. Good news is I rack up over 40k miles per year, so we will have long term results sooner rather than later.

Thank you, I'll let him know.

wsmeyer
12-03-2013, 09:46 AM
California Smog Emission test involves a visual test, 15mph dyno emission test and a 25mph emission test. No fun at all since a car may pass idle smog emission test but at 25mph it may fail. :X

They no longer do tail pipe tests on cars equipped with OBDII here in California. Just visual and OBD readout. :thumbsup

wsmeyer
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Dug this up from an old thread, a cyclone canister catch can:

http://vsetrack.com/track_reports/2010/bmw_motorsport_oil_separator/bmw_motorsport_oil_separator.htm

I'm still not sure if it would generate enough velocity at low RPM to work well but it would be interesting to put one in front of one of the catch cans you guys are doing and then see how much ends up in the catch can.

Smolck
12-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Dug this up from an old thread, a cyclone canister catch can:

http://vsetrack.com/track_reports/2010/bmw_motorsport_oil_separator/bmw_motorsport_oil_separator.htm

I'm still not sure if it would generate enough velocity at low RPM to work well but it would be interesting to put one in front of one of the catch cans you guys are doing and then see how much ends up in the catch can.

I think some of the E39 guys tried the M5 CVV which looks almost identical to that one. The results were not good. I don't recall why, probably for the reason you mention.

derbo
12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
They no longer do tail pipe tests on cars equipped with OBDII here in California. Just visual and OBD readout. :thumbsup

Didn't realize that has already started. I thought it wasn't fully implemented yet. I just looked it up and it started Sept 1, 2013. I will have to talk to my smog guy and see what monitors are being checked and see what I can eliminate ;)

edit: just talked to my smog guy, doesnt start till april (delayed) and full effect starts in august 2014..

Leave it to california to delay things.

Avetiso
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
They do still do them, per the smog I got a few weeks ago.

:dunno

Smolck
12-03-2013, 12:11 PM
So glad I still live in a relatively free state.

Lanister
12-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Different counties in California have different requirements.

az3579
12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Didn't realize that has already started. I thought it wasn't fully implemented yet. I just looked it up and it started Sept 1, 2013. I will have to talk to my smog guy and see what monitors are being checked and see what I can eliminate ;)

edit: just talked to my smog guy, doesnt start till april (delayed) and full effect starts in august 2014..

Leave it to california to delay things.

So does that mean "no CEL then automatic pass"?

That means you can do headers now. :)

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 01:29 PM
So glad I still live in a relatively free state.

Where is that?

Smolck
12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Where is that?

Alabama of course. No smog, state inspection, I can carry my pistol almost anywhere I please openly or concealed (signs have no weight of law), we say CHRISTmas without being ridiculed, and overall we are still nice to each other. The way it is supposed to be.

328ioc
12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Alabama of course. No smog, state inspection, I can carry my pistol almost anywhere I please openly or concealed (signs have no weight of law), we say CHRISTmas without being ridiculed, and overall we are still nice to each other. The way it is supposed to be.

Its exactly the same in Florida.

danewilson77
12-03-2013, 01:46 PM

:like

derbo
12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
So does that mean "no CEL then automatic pass"?

That means you can do headers now. :)

Unfortunately readiness monitors are still read when the OBDII is plugged in:

Here is the list it checks, some are not applicable to our car and will show as such:

Misfire = Misfire Monitor
Fuel - Fuel System Monitor
CCM - Comprehensive Components Monitor
CAT - Catalyst Monitor
HCM - Heated Catalyst Monitor
EVAP - Evaporative System Monitor
2AIR - Secondary Air Monitor
A/C-A/C System Monitor
O2S - o2 Sensors Monitor
HO2S - o2 Sensor Heater Monitor
EGR - EGR System Monitor

Fooling the post-O2 will be tricky..

WOLFN8TR
12-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Awesomeness!!

Smolck
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I updated my sticking oil rings thread and mentioned this, but interestingly, my blow-by continues to decrease and less "stuff" is in the can. I am liking this more and more.

danewilson77
12-04-2013, 05:25 PM
I updated my sticking oil rings thread and mentioned this, but interestingly, my blow-by continues to decrease and less "stuff" is in the can. I am liking this more and more.

+1

Great news!

Rovert
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
This sounds interesting to do! :) Since I have to redo my VCG again...

Dave1027
12-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I just had my '07 truck smogged in October and I watched the guy stick a sensor in the tailpipe for the dyno testing.

Dave1027
12-08-2013, 10:30 AM
So I wanted to share this with you all because honestly, I think it is an EXCELLENT way to not only improve performance and longevity in your engine, but it also ELIMINATES the worst BMW invention since the window regulator, the crank case vent valve!

I have been lurking for a while and first want to thank you for thinking out of the box and posting your progress. We can't wait around for the GAS solution forever. I have a few of questions about your mod.

1. Why not route the caught oil back to the dipstick tube like BMW does?

2. What PCV valve did you use?

3. Your video is very compelling. Thanks for posting. That's a lot of vacuum. Is it possible you have too much?

4. If the increased vacuum helps the rings to seal why hasn't your oil usage improved?

5. You posted that BMW engines are not like a normal engine. How so? Is it because of low tension piston rings?

Smolck
12-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I have been lurking for a while and first want to thank you for thinking out of the box and posting your progress. We can't wait around for the GAS solution forever. I have a few of questions about your mod.

1. Why not route the caught oil back to the dipstick tube like BMW does?

2. What PCV valve did you use?

3. Your video is very compelling. Thanks for posting. That's a lot of vacuum. Is it possible you have too much?

4. If the increased vacuum helps the rings to seal why hasn't your oil usage improved?

5. You posted that BMW engines are not like a normal engine. How so? Is it because of low tension piston rings?

1. What the catch can is catching isn't oil, it is a sludgy, oil condensation, nasty mess. I do not want it going back the sump. If I have nasty stuff in my oil control rings already, making the oil dirtier isn't going to help matters.

2. I used -O'Reilly Auto/Microguard PCV345, you could also use the following:
-Purolator PV1050
-FRAM FV345 & FV345DP
-BWD Auto PCV358

3. I suppose it anything is possible. I do not have a vacuum gauge nor did I test it (or care to) for the amount it now has. I would say it is close the 2.5 to 3 times the vacuum. Others have been running this mod for 40k miles, no ill effects.

4. This is a great question. Actually, it improved some. But the bottom line is, if the oil control rings are stuck, no amount of vacuum will fix that issue. But the can is helping because as I go through my long flush process, it keeps what goes back into the engine via the intake distribution block a lot cleaner than the stock system. And nothing nasty going into the sump. I think the stock CVV system combined with the PO's following the stupid 15k mile oil changes has a lot to do with my oil control ring issues.

5. Exactly. In that they need negative crankcase vacuum because of the rings. If this was my old mustang or something else, I'd just vent it through a filter to the atmosphere, instead I use the distribution block vacuum source to pull against the crank case.

I hope that makes sense. So far, since I have been running the flushes (see other thread) I have zero consumption through 600 miles. I should have used a qt and a half. So something is working.

Dave1027
12-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Did a quick google and found this post from a BMW tech? https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6638886&postcount=15

He also is claiming 15% power increase with higher crankcase vacuum. If this is true, why don't they come from the factory that way?

Smolck
12-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Did a quick google and found this post from a BMW tech? https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6638886&postcount=15

He also is claiming 15% power increase with higher crankcase vacuum. If this is true, why don't they come from the factory that way?

I don't think BMW is infallible. Engineers who make cars have to compromise between cost and function. As to why not make them this way from the factory, can you see a newport smoking housewife emptying her catch can every 3-4 thousand miles? And if you neglect to do it, you hydrolock your engine.

I am not saying this is the end all be all of engine mods. For me, it was worth a shot. As I said in an earlier post, if I had an engine with less than 100k miles and it didn't use a drop of oil, I'd probably stick with the stock CVV system.

wsmeyer
12-08-2013, 02:06 PM

I'm not sure what he was trying to say but his words were:

I personally believe the BMW I6s need a little MORE vacuum in the crankcase than stock rather than less. I say this b/c when I've installed dry sump systems with multistage scavenge pumps the I6 motors tend to see around a 15% increase in power on the dyno. Oil pressure drops slightly and generally lower oil temps follow as well.

Which is a rather bizarre statement as dry sump systems suck oil NOT air. Mixing the two causes a frothy mess with negative results. And why would you attribute all of the HP gains of a dry sump system to reduced crankcase pressure?

I don't believe modifying the CCV system would have anything more than a slight effect on crankcase pressure. It's the intake side of the engine that is pumping the air out of the crankcase. Therefore, a PERFECT CCV system that operated at 100% efficiency would make the pressure in the crankcase = the pressure in the intake. On a normally operating car, this is 15-20 in-Hg which means the intake is ~ 6-7psi below atmospheric pressure (atm).

If you use one of those cyclone filters you might be able to approach 95% efficiency or so but with any type of filter there's no hope of doing better than 85% efficiency or so. Then the question is, just how bad / inefficient is the stock system? I can't answer that but I'm not seeing any way to drastically decrease the crankcase pressure using the intake side as the pump. Certainly not 15% HP increase, that would be about 40HP on our cars!

Smolck
12-08-2013, 02:42 PM
One thing my system does that the stock CVV CAN'T do, it ELIMINATES the chance of it being frozen and sucking all the oil from my oil pan into my intake. It DOES happen. Also, I don't have to spend the time and money to replace it every 60k miles or so. And I promise you, the air being recirculated into my intake from the heavily baffled catch can is cleaner than what was being dumped into it from the stock CVV. Should mean I have less dilution of fuel when it hits the valves with the fuel, might equate to more octane since fuel mixed with oily residue will be less effective than cleaner air/fuel only.

Maybe that is the extra power I am feeling. Dunno. It isn't 35hp by any means, but it did seem to wake up my 202k mile motor.

Again, I am not a catch can evangelist. I have no stake in what you do to your car. I don't sell them, I don't profit from this, I simply report what I am doing to help others who may burn a crap load of oil (common) or want a safe way to bypass the CVV.

danewilson77
12-08-2013, 03:06 PM
And again, thanks for the contribution Smolck.

wsmeyer
12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
I hope you didn't take my post negatively. I think what you did is really cool. It's certainly an improvement over the stock system in that it eliminates the freezing problem and stops the blowby from routing back into the intake. It does have the drawback of having to empty the catch can so it's easy to see why BMW would have sacrificed a couple HP for system that didn't require any maintenance.

danewilson77
12-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I hope you didn't take my post negatively. I think what you did is really cool. It's certainly an improvement over the stock system in that it eliminates the freezing problem and stops the blowby from routing back into the intake. It does have the drawback of having to empty the catch can so it's easy to see why BMW would have sacrificed a couple HP for system that didn't require any maintenance.

I didn't for sure.

It's not a toy, it's a Droid > Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Smolck
12-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I didn't take anything personal or negative. I'm just being a guinea pig for myself and sharing what happens. If the motor explodes we can all say "wow, that was a terrible idea!"

WOLFN8TR
12-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Interesting....Sub'd.

Dave1027
12-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Saw this posted to a thread on bimmerfest:

The crankcase vacuum with a properly operating CCV is reported to be 3 to 6 inches of water at idle. I measured the vacuum at one of the intake manifold nipples at 20 inches of mercury at idle. That's a lot of difference in vacuum.

I read somewhere that engines like to run 8 to 10 hg of crankcase vacuum. Not sure if that also applies to the M54's low tension piston rings.

Smolck
12-09-2013, 05:19 PM
So I ran another mix of seafoam, atf, and penzoil high mileage dino (second 300 mile cycle). Good news was I didn't use a drop of oil. Usually I would use a good 3/4 of a qt. So the flush is working. But I found some nasty stuff in my catch can too. I haven't emptied it in about 400 miles. It is interesting to see the colors of the "stuff" it catches as I add different solvents and such to my oil.

As you can see from the pics and video, it is pretty nasty stuff. I wouldn't want it in my intake or my oil pan. So I have over 2500 miles on this setup, still no issues other than rock solid, smooth idle, great power, willingness to climb to the redline without issue, and all with 202,500 miles. I'd say this is good stuff, I like it. Take from it what you will.

Smolck
12-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Here is the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPDAGSW9L_U&feature=youtu.be

Avetiso
12-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Seems like it is working well.

danewilson77
12-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Ahhh.... An arduous path for Air to flow.

Thanks Smolck.

wsmeyer
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I think the color is just coming from the water vapor getting mixed in but it also looks like there are solid particles in there?

Dave1027
12-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Smolck,

Any chance you could hook up a vacuum gauge to the hose that goes to the valve cover so we can see exactly how much vacuum is building up? My concern is too much vacuum causing seal leakage or I guess it would be suckage? I wonder what kind of vacuum the crankcase gets like during high rpm deceleration?

Smolck
12-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Smolck,

Any chance you could hook up a vacuum gauge to the hose that goes to the valve cover so we can see exactly how much vacuum is building up? My concern is too much vacuum causing seal leakage or I guess it would be suckage? I wonder what kind of vacuum the crankcase gets like during high rpm deceleration?

No, I don't have a gauge or care enough to find one and hook it up because I have serious doubts that I have added enough vacuum to cause issues (I may be completely wrong, if the motor blows I'll let you know)

I have heard of one guy who had an ailing, brittle valve cover gasket, so your maintenance has to be up to par for this to not cause "suckage".

One could easily set up an inline pressure regulator setup to lessen vacuum. I also for a short time put an additional "catch" in place to see how efficient my catch can media was in the form of a small, inline air compressor filter. I put it on the vacuum side, between the catch can and the intake (before the PCV valve). It didn't catch any additional goo once I added additional baffling so I removed it. But it did reduce the vacuum enough you could tell a difference when removing the dipstick or oil cap with the car at idle.

For my car, I have no ill effects with the extra vacuum. To me, it isn't going to cause any issues. I suppose I could go pull the vacuum line off my can, cap it, and go for a bonzai run to see if I could "feel" any difference. But it is mighty cold in Bama tonight and I don't see me doing it today. Maybe tomorrow.

Smolck
12-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Someone asked for a video detailing the routing of hoses and such, here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTGNHbUDCvM&feature=youtu.be

Smolck
12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Over 3000 miles on this set up. Not only am I not using oil, I haven't blown up my car yet. And I drive it hard, every time I drive it. I ain't scared of redline!

Lanister
12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
At this rate, you should be making new oil! The car owes you from all these years :)

On a serious note, very happy to hear that. If I had only learned about this a month sooner. Just did my CVV. Perhaps when it kicks the can again in a few years :)

danewilson77
12-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Over 3000 miles on this set up. Not only am I not using oil, I haven't blown up my car yet. And I drive it hard, every time I drive it. I ain't scared of redline!

Shit.... Pretty soon you'll be making oil.

When that happens... Can I haz some... For cheap?

Smolck
12-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Shit.... Pretty soon you'll be making oil.

When that happens... Can I haz some... For cheap?

You can have that "oil" in the bottom of my catch can, for free!

Smolck
12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Car still hasn't blown up. All's well 4000 miles in to this mod.

danewilson77
12-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Good news Smolck.

Dave1027
12-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Smolck,

I like the idea of a catch can but the decent ones can be pricey. How does this one (http://www.amazon.com/ADD-W1-Universal-Aluminum-Reservoir/dp/B00EGHPD82) look? It has a baffle.

328ioc
12-25-2013, 05:34 PM
That's cool that it has a dip stick to check the level.

Smolck
12-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Smolck,

I like the idea of a catch can but the decent ones can be pricey. How does this one (http://www.amazon.com/ADD-W1-Universal-Aluminum-Reservoir/dp/B00EGHPD82) look? It has a baffle.

That is one sweet looking can. Might have to grab one myself!

I'd drop a couple steel brillo pads in the bottom too, but looks good to me.

328ioc
12-25-2013, 07:31 PM
That is one sweet looking can. Might have to grab one myself!

I'd drop a couple steel brillo pads in the bottom too, but looks good to me.

In theory could you take a non-baffled can and stuff the whole thing with steel wool?

Smolck
12-26-2013, 09:08 AM
In theory could you take a non-baffled can and stuff the whole thing with steel wool?

Yes, but you want a can that forces the vapors to have a difficult path to the vacuum side. My can forces it down and then it has to make a 90 degree turn and go right back up. Not super easy and allows for better settling of condensation and vapors before returning to the engine.

Some ebay cans are just empty cans with an "in" and an "out" that are right next to each other. Those do not work well for this application.

llll1l1ll
12-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Smolck,

Hey-

Did you ever get this? I'm planning on installing this mod because I have to do my oil filter housing gasket and that would be a perfect time!

Smolck
12-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey-

Did you ever get this? I'm planning on installing this mod because I have to do my oil filter housing gasket and that would be a perfect time!

No. At the moment the one I have is working fine so I am not in a hurry to mess with it.

llll1l1ll
12-30-2013, 11:52 AM
I meant the other guy who I quoted in my post. BUT - good to hear yours is working well, and I see you thought the one suggested at the top of the page was good stuff. I'll probably get it.

Dave1027
12-31-2013, 09:15 AM
I have not yet ordered my catch can. Unfortunately I have not had the time to devote to this project yet but I am looking forward to doing it. When I do get around to it I'm going to hook up a vacuum gauge to the valve cover outlet before and after mod to see what the actual change is.

Smolck
01-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Still running my catch can. With the new headers the car is being driven normal miles again (100 or more per day) and it is still working perfectly. I am still using ZERO oil. Currently at 1000 miles or so with no oil use. Car used to burn 1qt per 400 miles. FYI, the catch can was in addition to a thorough cleansing (see other thread in mechanical/troubleshooting under "free sticking oil rings". But I think the catch can helps also.

kayger12
01-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Glad to see such solid results. Nicely done.

Smolck
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Glad to see such solid results. Nicely done.

Thanks. Best part is when I think my maintenance is all up to snuff I don't have to go "oh crap, I need a new CVV soon!, bye bye $180 and 3 hours time"

Smolck
01-19-2014, 04:02 PM
205,000 miles and no explosions or bad things have happened. Can keeps catching oily watery stuff (more with this cold from condensation) but keeping the intake nice and clean. So I figure I have 3000 miles on this or so. Seems pretty safe to me. LOVE not worrying about my dipstick tube clogging in this cold weather. Just had a user come by Bimmerfest that was puking tons of black smoke out the back because of that. One less thing for me to do!

rguti153
01-19-2014, 07:11 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:
I want to try this
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Smolck
01-24-2014, 04:49 PM
So I pulled my car apart tonight as I was doing some work to it. I added a new first aid kit box under the passenger seat (complete with the red first aid bag and all the stuff!), replaced my broken accelerator pedal mount with a new one, and pulled my CVV out of its spot so I can mail it to a friend on bimmerfest.

When I pulled my DISA off I was super pumped. Ya know that oily, gritty nastiness that is usually on the flap and around the intake hole? Well after 4k miles of running the catch can, I have ZERO deposits on my DISA flap or around the manifold!!!

You know what that means right? Car is 100% most assuredly getting MUCH cleaner air pumped through it from the catch can than from the stock CVV! Beautiful!

danewilson77
01-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Win.

Dave1027
01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Even better is that watery oily crap that normally drains to the oil pan is not polluting the life blood of your engine.

Smolck
01-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Even better is that watery oily crap that normally drains to the oil pan is not polluting the life blood of your engine.

Exactly!

Hornung418
01-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Looks like I will be joining this club soon. I just got my oil light for the first time since doing my vanos and VCG and OFHG. So it would be safe to assume that the CCV is the next job. No way am I doing that job after just doing it on the car I sold.

Is there a post where all the necessary parts are located?

Sent from my GS3.

ryankokesh
01-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Looks like I will be joining this club soon. I just got my oil light for the first time since doing my vanos and VCG and OFHG. So it would be safe to assume that the CCV is the next job. No way am I doing that job after just doing it on the car I sold.

Sent from my GS3.

Is the CCV that bad? Scares me to hear someone as ambitious as you afraid of it!

My ccv has already been replaced one by the original owner, and I have the second replacement sitting in the garage in a box. Not burning a lot of oil, but I'm getting that mayo sludge in the winter.

Smolck
01-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Sent from my GS3.

I should probably make a list somewhere, as the info is out there but scattered. The problem is, the catch can you buy will determine hose sizes. Some cans like mine are 3/8 openings, some are 5/8 some are 3/4.

But all you need is a quality can, preferably with internal baffling, two lengths of hose of the correct diameter for your can (or reducers like I use), a PCV valve and a couple pieces from your stock CVV hoses. Check out my YouTube channel, I have a video where I pull it all apart and explain it. It will make sense afterward.

328ioc
01-27-2014, 08:33 AM
I should probably make a list somewhere, as the info is out there but scattered. The problem is, the catch can you buy will determine hose sizes. Some cans like mine are 3/8 openings, some are 5/8 some are 3/4.

But all you need is a quality can, preferably with internal baffling, two lengths of hose of the correct diameter for your can (or reducers like I use), a PCV valve and a couple pieces from your stock CVV hoses. Check out my YouTube channel, I have a video where I pull it all apart and explain it. It will make sense afterward.

I have not seen this video yet. Definitely going to watch it during lunch.

Hornung418
01-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Is the CCV that bad? Scares me to hear someone as ambitious as you afraid of it!

My ccv has already been replaced one by the original owner, and I have the second replacement sitting in the garage in a box. Not burning a lot of oil, but I'm getting that mayo sludge in the winter.

I'm not afraid of it, it's just a huge pain in the ass. School starts today and I cannot afford to have a lot of downtime having just spent $2600 on getting my front end repaired.

Sent from my GS3.

ryankokesh
01-27-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm not afraid of it, it's just a huge pain in the ass. School starts today and I cannot afford to have a lot of downtime having just spent $2600 on getting my front end repaired.

Sent from my GS3.

How long did it take you when you did it?

Sent from my iPhone

Hornung418
01-27-2014, 08:51 AM
How long did it take you when you did it?

Sent from my iPhone

Pulled the manifold and fixed a whole bunch of stuff. Took like 6 hours.

Sent from my GS3.

ryankokesh
01-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Pulled the manifold and fixed a whole bunch of stuff. Took like 6 hours.

Sent from my GS3.

Ah, gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone

Smolck
01-27-2014, 09:11 AM
I agreed to give my stock CVV to a member of Bimmerfest last week for free. I forgot that I never took mine off the car when I did my catch can. But, I made a promise so I had to get it off and in the mail. So Friday night I dug into it and had the CVV out in an hour. It is a really easy job once you have done it about 20 times.

ryankokesh
01-27-2014, 09:24 AM
I agreed to give my stock CVV to a member of Bimmerfest last week for free. I forgot that I never took mine off the car when I did my catch can. But, I made a promise so I had to get it off and in the mail. So Friday night I dug into it and had the CVV out in an hour. It is a really easy job once you have done it about 20 times.

Haha, that's kind of reassuring :)

Hornung418
01-27-2014, 09:33 AM
The unit itself is easily accessed. It's the hoses on the top of the manifold that are the pain in my ass.

Sent from my GS3.

Smolck
01-27-2014, 12:33 PM
The unit itself is easily accessed. It's the hoses on the top of the manifold that are the pain in my ass.

Sent from my GS3.

I always found them easy but I remove the two torx screws that hold the plate that the EVAP purg valve bolts to and remove the two 13mm bolts that hold the P/S reservoir and slide it out of the way (won't leak if you are careful). This gives you all the room you need to get the hoses attached, easily and without issue. Make sure you understand how they attach BEFORE you put them on the car. The hose that runs in between the two intake runners has to twist to go on, the one from the valve cover pushes in as does the one that goes to the dipstick.

CVV's take a total of about 2 hours, 2.5 if you run into trouble.

Of course, now, I just take 5 minutes to empty my catch can and move along. :)

328ioc
01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Watched your video over lunch. Very helpful. Thank you.

Smolck
01-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Watched your video over lunch. Very helpful. Thank you.

Thanks!

Hornung418
01-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I've already done the job when I replaced my manifold gaskets. But I don't need to do it for this one if this engine is burning oil slightly.

Sent from my GS3.

Avetiso
01-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Once my CCV fails, it's go time for me. My car is gonna be a long term, hopefully, so this should be a better fit.

Smolck
02-20-2014, 10:11 AM
I've got another 2k miles on my catch can setup. Still catches a LOT of crap and I am soo happy it does. Oil consumption has slowed considerably too. Right now averaging about 1200 miles per quart. Before the can I got 400 miles per qt. And I still think I have some "cleansing" to do. Should easily get it down to 2000 miles per quart after another flush.

I also removed my DISA not long ago and found it to be completely devoid of all the oily, crappy residue all other DISA's have on them. My GAS aluminum flap was almost spotless. Just as I suspected, the catch can is doing an excellent job of scrubbing the air headed into the cylinders.

Smolck
02-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I've got another 2k miles on my catch can setup. Still catches a LOT of crap and I am soo happy it does. Oil consumption has slowed considerably too. Right now averaging about 1200 miles per quart. Before the can I got 400 miles per qt. And I still think I have some "cleansing" to do. Should easily get it down to 2000 miles per quart after another flush.

I also removed my DISA not long ago and found it to be completely devoid of all the oily, crappy residue all other DISA's have on them. My GAS aluminum flap was almost spotless. Just as I suspected, the catch can is doing an excellent job of scrubbing the air headed into the cylinders.

Good stuff

llll1l1ll
02-23-2014, 05:58 PM
I found this on Amazon: JEGS Performance Products 52205 Air Oil Separator by JEGS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WWW6DI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_3AQctb0769CJ9

Would this be worthy of using, or would the one a few pages ago be a better application?

Smolck
02-24-2014, 08:27 AM
I found this on Amazon: JEGS Performance Products 52205 Air Oil Separator by JEGS http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WWW6DI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_3AQctb0769CJ9

Would this be worthy of using, or would the one a few pages ago be a better application?

I like that one. It does look smaller so you will be like me and have to check it regularly. I usually dump mine every 1000 miles or so. With really cold weather it catches a lot of condensation and fills up pretty fast. But the design is better than most I have seen.

llll1l1ll
02-25-2014, 05:22 AM
Cool that's good news then! I don't mind checking it often. I'm usually under the hood often just checking fluids.

Smolck
03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Decided today to make the catch can install look a little more "prfessional" and actually mount the can and run some lines to it in its new home. Here is what I came up with. No change in how the system works, just looks better. I actually screwed it to the side of my windshield washer fluid tank. I did it that way because even though I have deleted my SAP stuff, I didn't feel like drilling holes in the shock tower.

And yes, my engine is filthy. Warmer weather and longer days are upon us finally, knocking things off my list one weekend at a time!

Avetiso
03-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Looks OEM! *cough cough* :rofl

Function > Form any day. However, is there nowhere to mount it on the driver side of the bay? Would take much less tubing to do that.

ELCID86
03-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Does look quite stock.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Smolck
03-12-2014, 03:56 PM
I still can't see the most recent comments. Something goofy in the programming or something

Smolck
03-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Looks OEM! *cough cough* :rofl

Function > Form any day. However, is there nowhere to mount it on the driver side of the bay? Would take much less tubing to do that.

I had it over there, but when I changed to the hard elbow tube I lost the tiny clearance I had. So this was the next best option. Looks bad, works good.

///Mvious
03-15-2014, 06:48 AM
I have not yet ordered my catch can. Unfortunately I have not had the time to devote to this project yet but I am looking forward to doing it. When I do get around to it I'm going to hook up a vacuum gauge to the valve cover outlet before and after mod to see what the actual change is.
Just read through the entire thread...great info Smolck, thanks for sharing! Dave - I'd be very interested in the vacuum results...you plan to do this soon?

Dave1027
03-15-2014, 09:19 AM
I have not got to this mod yet mainly because I live in california where the weather is mild and I get no mayo buildup. Also my CCV is still in good working condition and I usually drive 20 miles per trip. That's enough to burn off any condensation. I have plenty of other jobs that need to be done on my car first. Still, I don't like the idea of crap being fed back into the engine oil. The idea of that really bugs the hell out of me. What was BMW thinking?

tkundhi
03-15-2014, 10:08 AM
What was BMW thinking?

a. The dealer gets to replace the CCV every number of years.
b. The dealer can sell you a new motor when it is destroyed.
c. BMW doesn't care because the problem manifests after the warranty period.
d. The CCV design was created by an Audi mole.
e. All of the above.

:-)

t.

Smolck
03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Just FYI. Not sure if it is the use of Penzoil Euro Blend (Ferrari Emblem on bottle, oh yeah!) or the catch can or what, but I drove 750 miles without using ONE drop of oil. Well, at least not enough to show on the dipstick. I bet I get at least 2000 miles per qt right now. And I have been driving my car HARD.

danewilson77
03-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Good news.

Dave1027
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Just FYI. Not sure if it is the use of Penzoil Euro Blend (Ferrari Emblem on bottle, oh yeah!)
Is that the Penzoil Gold or Ultra? What weight?

Smolck
03-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Is that the Penzoil Gold or Ultra? What weight?

5w40 ultra

Sockethead
03-25-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm going to be putting this on the 135 this spring. A little pricey but already engineered to fit and look OEM.
http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

WOLFN8TR
03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Ya that's Nice! :thumbsup

328ioc
03-27-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm going to be putting this on the 135 this spring. A little pricey but already engineered to fit and look OEM.
http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

179 doesn't sound to bad for a whole kit....

Smolck
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Nice can. Screw open units are a plus as it makes servicing much easier. I have 9000 miles on mine. Still catch a lot of gunk and empty it every couple thousand miles. Car keeps using less and less oil

328ioc
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Nice can. Screw open units are a plus as it makes servicing much easier. I have 9000 miles on mine. Still catch a lot of gunk and empty it every couple thousand miles. Car keeps using less and less oil

This is excellent news.

Sockethead
03-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Yea all this talk has me worried about the N54 in the 135. Kristen has some serious boost on that motor and a very expensive inter cooler, charge pipe, etc. it will be interesting to see what we find when we take it apart later this spring

Smolck
03-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Yea all this talk has me worried about the N54 in the 135. Kristen has some serious boost on that motor and a very expensive inter cooler, charge pipe, etc. it will be interesting to see what we find when we take it apart later this spring

The guys I hang out with at my local BMW shop have mentioned some carbon build up issues with the N54 motors. They HATE them.

Dave1027
03-29-2014, 09:47 AM
5w40 ultra

Remember this post? http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11472-Trying-to-free-sticking-oil-control-rings-in-my-ZHP&p=329457#post329457
;)

Smolck
03-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Remember this post? http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11472-Trying-to-free-sticking-oil-control-rings-in-my-ZHP&p=329457#post329457
;)
I guess never say never huh.

Dave1027
03-30-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm going to try that Penzoil when I run out of M1.

Smolck
03-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Checked my oil today after 900 miles since topping it off with Penzoil. To my surprise, it is FULL! No usage. Just amazing that an engine with 200k miles can be taken from a 1qt per 350 mile burner, to this. Not sure how far it'll go till it needs topped off, but I am excited to see.

danewilson77
04-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Smolck,

I need to change my oil soon.

Soon (since the usage is so low) you should be able to make oil with your car. I'll pay for shipping. Thanks bye.

I'm starting a signup list:

USERNAME - AMOUNT REQUESTED
1. danewilson77 7 quarts

PirateZHP
04-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Smolck,

I need to change my oil soon.

Soon (since the usage is so low) you should be able to make oil with your car. I'll pay for shipping. Thanks bye.

I'm starting a signup list:

USERNAME - AMOUNT REQUESTED
1. danewilson77 7 quarts

:hiI'm in.

ELCID86
04-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Too funny Boss! :rofl

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Smolck
04-01-2014, 07:26 AM
As soon as it starts producing you guys will be the first to know. By the way, its expensive, but Penzoil Euro 5w40 is amazing stuff.

alexandre
04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
I can't run this year-long because the winters are too harsh here. Summer is coming up and I need to do the CCV (I have mayo build-up in the dipstick tube) and I'm thinking I could run this temporarily for the summer and replace the whole system with an OEM CCV in August. Given that the whole system will be going to the trash after I'd need something cheap but that still cleans my manifold. What's the brand of your catch-can ?

Hornung418
04-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I can't run this year-long because the winters are too harsh here. Summer is coming up and I need to do the CCV (I have mayo build-up in the dipstick tube) and I'm thinking I could run this temporarily for the summer and replace the whole system with an OEM CCV in August. Given that the whole system will be going to the trash after I'd need something cheap but that still cleans my manifold. What's the brand of your catch-can ?
Don't trash the whole system. You'll need to harvest parts to mount the Catch Can.

Smolck
04-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Here is my can.
http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp
It is an AMW (Accurate Machine Works). It is smallish, but works like a champ and fully serviceable (meaning you have the ability to remove the media and clean it/put fresh media in it). Not sure why cold weather makes a difference, I ran mine for a good deal of very cold weather here (single digits) and as long as I kept it emptied, it was fine.

I would also like to add something odd. After 900 miles with no apparent usage I checked my oil again at 1000 miles and it was 1/2qt low. By 1250 miles, it needed a qt. Weird. I have driven 200 miles since adding a qt and no usage. Seems 1200 miles is the glass ceiling for my car for some reason. Weird.

alexandre
04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Here is my can.
http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp
It is an AMW (Accurate Machine Works). It is smallish, but works like a champ and fully serviceable (meaning you have the ability to remove the media and clean it/put fresh media in it). Not sure why cold weather makes a difference, I ran mine for a good deal of very cold weather here (single digits) and as long as I kept it emptied, it was fine.

I would also like to add something odd. After 900 miles with no apparent usage I checked my oil again at 1000 miles and it was 1/2qt low. By 1250 miles, it needed a qt. Weird. I have driven 200 miles since adding a qt and no usage. Seems 1200 miles is the glass ceiling for my car for some reason. Weird.

Oil temp makes a huge difference. My car was throwing amber lights 500 mi ago and dipstick showed a qt low, but I waited a bit before topping up (I wait until the indicator lights up amber every other shut-off or so) and now it shows full. Mind-boggling.

Smilez
05-20-2014, 06:55 AM
WONDERING which one should i go with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Catch-Tank-Can-Aluminum-Universal-1L-Reservoir-Round-Black-Filter-JDM-/131178383762?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8ad74992&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Aluminum-Capacity-Oil-Cylinder-Catch-Reservoir-Tank-Can-Black-/380842101564?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58abf54b3c&vxp=mtr

rguti153
06-20-2014, 09:39 AM
What did u end up picking

Smilez
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Haven't done it yet. haha
but i'm going with
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Oil-Catch-Tank-Can-Aluminum-Universal-1L-Reservoir-Round-Black-Filter-JDM-/131178383762?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8ad74992&vxp=mtr

rguti153
06-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Mmmm.Yeah I like that one also.

Smilez
06-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Right now our jeep blew a motor. So after I fix that I'll take care of the catch can.

Dave1027
06-21-2014, 11:00 AM
That one has no baffling.

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Just did mine. Add W1 can. Solid construction and I'm going to put a lint trap in for more media. Seems great so far. Happy with my routing too
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/littletwerpy/1406071313684_zps6d753eae.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/littletwerpy/media/1406071313684_zps6d753eae.jpg.html)

gmurphy
07-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Just did mine. Add W1 can. Solid construction and I'm going to put a lint trap in for more media. Seems great so far. Happy with my routing too
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/littletwerpy/1406071313684_zps6d753eae.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/littletwerpy/media/1406071313684_zps6d753eae.jpg.html)

Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
07-23-2014, 07:52 AM
That looks pretty sweet, almost has a factory look. I wonder if it would pass a Smog check?

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Wondering the same thing. I essentially folllowed Smolcks youtube video on catch can routing. Except I used the stock connection at the crankcase side. Its fantasic. Also when I got my distributor out, oil dripped out of it. That should be air :applause

Smilez
07-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Wondering the same thing. I essentially folllowed Smolcks youtube video on catch can routing. Except I used the stock connection at the crankcase side. Its fantasic. Also when I got my distributor out, oil dripped out of it. That should be air :applause

Which can did you end up buying? I still want to do this, but working on rebuilding my engine's jeep. That's where I will mount mine when it's all said and done.

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Used the Add W1. Got it for 85. Solid construction, feels like it could be 200. Im going to add some steel mesh in the can to try and catch more crap.

Dave1027
07-23-2014, 12:02 PM

You removed the distributor? How is the can connected to the intake? Where is the PCV mounted?

Dave1027
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I still want to do this, but working on rebuilding my engine's jeep.

Your engine has a Jeep? :)

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Only removed the distributor to get the tube off and install my new one. Distributor went back in obviously. Pcv is in line between the can and the intake manifold. Used PCV345. Works perfectly inline 5/8

Dave1027
07-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Are you noticing any performance difference?

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Fairly certain it's not a placebo effect but I feel more torque early on. So far my mpg hasn't changed though. Still 13

Dave1027
07-23-2014, 12:11 PM
13? Ouch. I'm averaging 25 on 50/50 hwy/city.

WOLFN8TR
07-23-2014, 12:15 PM
13? Ouch. I'm averaging 25 on 50/50 hwy/city.

Same here. 13 is really low mileage.

Hornung418
07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Same here. 13 is really low mileage.
Shit. Yeah I drive like a maniac on my B roads and still managed 18.1 mpg before my MAF replacement.

I'm going to replace my CCV with OEM Cold Weather parts.

Smilez
07-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Your engine has a Jeep? :)

Lmao :rofl hahahahha. Must have been mutil tasking. Work and typing hhaha

Dave1027
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Carbon, maybe your cats is clogged from burning oil. Any codes?

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
No codes. Power feels good. No out of the ordinary exhaust smell

QC_ZHP
07-23-2014, 03:11 PM
13 is very low. How often do you reset your MPG gauge?

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Once a month or so. Always get back down to 13

danewilson77
07-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Once a month or so. Always get back down to 13
I hate how that works.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

CarbonZHP
07-23-2014, 03:18 PM
My ultra gauge reads 12.5

danewilson77
07-23-2014, 03:49 PM
:facepalm

derbo
07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Shit. Yeah I drive like a maniac on my B roads and still managed 18.1 mpg before my MAF replacement.

I'm going to replace my CCV with OEM Cold Weather parts.

When I'm on the race track and I reset my MPG, I get about 8.3mpg during sessions but thats pure redline shifts?

LivesNearCostco
07-23-2014, 05:19 PM
More evidence that Derek is faster than me on the track. The more time you spend at full throttle (and the harder you brake before going back to full throttle, the worse your gas mileage. When I first started tracking I averaged 14-15 mpg. Then it went down to 13. Most recently as low as 11 mpg. But Derek is at 8.3mph on the track. He must drive like a boss! I hope to catch a ride in his car at the track this Saturday.

CarbonZHP
07-24-2014, 05:57 AM
Maybe because I drive everywhere like its a track. With PZeros, how can I not?!

Hermes
07-24-2014, 08:25 AM
I've been thinking about installing a P54 oil separator

http://rejsa.nu/im/_racing/221-old_2009-12-28-_ssl21222.jpg

CarbonZHP
07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
...what is happening in this bay? And I see what you mean

Hermes
07-24-2014, 10:11 AM
...what is happening in this bay?

this is whats happening in that bay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv81Vbp3Qug

CarbonZHP
07-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Question answered. Now I have some good sounds to listen to at work. Cheers

328ioc
07-24-2014, 10:19 AM
this is whats happening in that bay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv81Vbp3Qug

Any details other than video JP?

Hermes
07-24-2014, 11:40 AM
P54B20 race engine competed in 02-04 ETCC and 05 WTCC. The part looks like the S62 oil separator but it's not the same. I haven't yet figured out the part number for the P54 one

328ioc
07-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Hmm I would be interested if you find out more on the seporator.

328ioc
07-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Also. Googling that motors bring up a 4cyl. Race motor.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
You might have typed P45, that's a 4cyl race engine

Hornung418
07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Try these numbers...

Sent from my GS3.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Those are M5 part numbers, it flows differently and there is no check valve

Edit:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/mach-schnell/M5OS.jpg

328ioc
07-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Those are M5 part numbers, it flows differently and there is no check valve

Edit:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/mach-schnell/M5OS.jpg

Could you add a check valve inline?

Hornung418
07-24-2014, 04:40 PM

Yeah that wouldn't be too hard. Beats looking for the Motorsports P/N. Is there a directory?

Sent from my GS3.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 04:42 PM

That still doesn't solve the issue of different flow direction

Yeah that wouldn't be too hard. Beats looking for the Motorsports P/N. Is there a directory?

Sent from my GS3.

Justin, I tagged you in on a post to the guys that ran Team PTG. They will respond with the part number

Hornung418
07-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Awaiting the reply. Thanks for the tag.

Sent from my GS3.

Hermes
07-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Now that I look at these pics again, the one with the early manifold appears to have it installed like the S62 diagram. Perhaps the one with the late manifold is on backwards?

Hornung418
07-25-2014, 05:18 AM
Now that I look at these pics again, the one with the early manifold appears to have it installed like the S62 diagram. Perhaps the one with the late manifold is on backwards?
Check FB. They responded with some good information.

Hermes
07-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I saw that, good stuff. For those of you not tagged in...

"Yes we have modified the production parts from the M5 (E39) the part to use is 11 15 1 406 789. As for hose type for the P54B20 we have used outside dia 22x3,5mm length 560mm and coupling 1115 7743354 (fitted to cyl. Head cover)"

Fenrir
09-03-2014, 09:38 PM
So after reading this entire thread and consulting the local gear heads about local winter temps and their catch cans... I'm doing this. I was really hesitant but I spent the last month chatting with the local guys and learning a lot. The temps really don't get cold enough here to worry and NM has zero emissions issues. Smolk, kinda late in the game here, but thanks for the great post. Sorry for the thread revival.

Smilez
09-04-2014, 03:58 AM
I still need to do this. But my world rising in circles right now.

Smilez
09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
anyone interested in http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ6JH3Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00CJ6JHCK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VN36ZVAZ6MMMREQPW96

Apparently I have access to these :D

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

danewilson77
09-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Nice Ray.

prowlerflyer
09-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Has anyone seen this catch can? Seems like a nice piece, I like the dipstick.

http://www.cuscousainc.com/products/engine-parts/oil-catch-can-415.html

CarbonZHP
09-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Add W1 has a real dipstick. Also, im not sure what material that one is made out of, but usually the clear style 'dipsticks' on those turn black fairly quickly

ryankokesh
01-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Thinking I should do this.

Has anyone used this mishimoto can from ecs? I like the price. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimoto-parts/universal-catch-can-kit-carbon-fiber/mmocccf/

san
01-18-2017, 10:37 AM
A catch can made of carbon fiber! [emoji15]

ryankokesh
01-19-2017, 05:15 AM
A catch can made of carbon fiber! [emoji15]

slater
01-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Thinking I should do this.

Has anyone used this mishimoto can from ecs? I like the price. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimoto-parts/universal-catch-can-kit-carbon-fiber/mmocccf/

don't buy that one. it doesn't have any baffling.

there are excellent designs with correct baffling and inlet/outlet routing, serviceability (if you get the ultimate can), and the ability to add a drain valve - i have the ultimate one:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/oil-catch-cans/oil-catch-cans/

mishimoto does have a nice one that has the same features as the 42 draft designs units, it's this one:

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

the most affordable option is the 42 draft designs' 'stealth' can. but don't waste your money on one that isn't going to work properly. also, consider my CCAF system (i see you're in indiana, it gets cold enough to warrant that in the winter).

Sockethead
01-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Ryan, I have the metal version of that can and there is no baffling what so ever in it. Very disappointing. Definitely not worth the money!

ryankokesh
01-19-2017, 07:05 AM
don't buy that one. it doesn't have any baffling.

there are excellent designs with correct baffling and inlet/outlet routing, serviceability (if you get the ultimate can), and the ability to add a drain valve - i have the ultimate one:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/oil-catch-cans/oil-catch-cans/

mishimoto does have a nice one that has the same features as the 42 draft designs units, it's this one:

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-baffled-oil-catch-can.html

the most affordable option is the 42 draft designs' 'stealth' can. but don't waste your money on one that isn't going to work properly. also, consider my CCAF system (i see you're in indiana, it gets cold enough to warrant that in the winter).

Oh geez, I just assumed that was baffled since mishimoto made it. Whoops.

I'm going to have to look into the CCAF, I remember when you first started looking into it.

Are you glad you sprung for the ultimate, over the stealth?

Thanks for the insight!

ryankokesh
01-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Ryan, I have the metal version of that can and there is no baffling what so ever in it. Very disappointing. Definitely not worth the money!

How weird... always thought they made great stuff.

slater
01-19-2017, 07:13 AM
I'm going to have to look into the CCAF, I remember when you first started looking into it.

Are you glad you sprung for the ultimate, over the stealth?

Thanks for the insight!

no problem!

yep, the ultimate can is beautifully made. the stealth is basically the same can, however the ultimate comes apart so you can clean it (i like that), it has the dipstick, and you can rotate the top part for multiple hose routing options.

the CCAF system was not expensive, nor hard to implement. and it works - two winters now with zero issues.

How weird... always thought they made great stuff.

they make a lot of great stuff, but all of their 'entry level' catch cans are useless.

ELCID86
04-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Catch can explained: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a27198962/how-oil-catch-can-works/