PDA

View Full Version : Smog FAIL!!! List of codes....

MooseX
12-15-2013, 07:11 PM
After the car breezed through smog last spring I was fairly confident going for it again.

WRONG.. NOT. Dammit the car is on thr brink of sale. Dude got a loan and is READY to buy

Heres a the list:

2882: mixture preparation, bank 1 mixture too lean

2747: misfire cylinder 4

2973: O2 Sensor (Bank 1 before cat): interuption

2974: O2 Sensor (Bank 2 before cat): interuption

2783: Air Flow Sensor with HFM

Does this look familiar? 04 ZHP with 118k. Runs good ( usual 4k dip) but it does hesitate just below 3k. Id tear into it with Disa, vanos, DME etc but really if I can just get the SES light to shut the F ' up Id be good. Buyer likes the way it runs so..

I did get O2 sensors in today.. Bosch.. After an hour of cycling the light is still on

Next ill check for vacuum leaks

Note: just cleaned the MAF, plugs, airfilter in prep for new owner

Might I get a MAF code by removing it?

It was 22 bux for the shop to pull the codes. Id go to Vato Zone but its an hour away

Funny thing Counter girl gave me a receipt but forgot to ask for the money. I didnt argue

Last: why am I selling Halle? I love her but winter is here and ive got a 1 car garage.

My latest Beemer..01' 330xi 5 spd manual..is gonna be my winter ride

Next summer maybe a white coupe zhp.. already looking

LivesNearCostco
12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Are your upper and lower intake boots original? If so, check for cracks, especially in lower boot at the "thumb."

alexandre
12-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Precat O2 sensors are usually 100k items, but these codes don't seem to indicate failure. I'd do a smoke test first and see if you have any leaks. If you don't, check the ICV and the O2 sensors (~$90 each on Amazon for Bosch OEM)

danewilson77
12-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Why don't you guys fix issues and clear codez before attempting to sell?

You had to have an SES light.

Agree with what's been mentioned.

It's not a toy, it's a Droid > Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

MooseX
12-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Pre Cat O2 's were nasty looking. Got 'em for 150 for both (Bosch )

Its gotta be a cracked boot or some other vacuum leak. Loose hose...

There was no SES light last week ( before I cleaned the maf,new air filter )

Potential buyer test drove it just before I did all the service work and there was no CEL.

He's a good freind and I wanted it to run great. His girlfreind bought my 325xi . The car I sold to get Halle

Curiously all three are black. Im cursed! I live in the pollen capital of california and these black beemers are killing me haha

LivesNearCostco
12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Unplugging the MAF sensor and plugging it in doesn't cause any codes by itself, otherwise I'd get codes every time I took out my intake or replaced my starter (not that I replaced it more than once, last weekend). But if you forgot to reconnect your MAF, coil pack, or coil pack ground wire, it could cause issues. Lean code usually mean air leak. Misfire might mean disconnected or loose coil pack. Every coil pack has to be seated firmly on its spark plug and then connected properly to the wiring harness plug. If your intake boots are old, maybe when you removed the MAF you opened up a crack in one of them. Can be detected with smoke test or by removing the boots and inspecting. If hole is found, electrical or duct tape might be a temporary fix while you wait for the new boot to arrive.

MooseX
12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Im off today and as soon as it gets above 20 or so Im tearing into it

Or I could take it to the German place and do all the smoke and vacuum tests

Im 100 percent sure I got my coil packs and ground wires good.

Ive got a spare set of coils just in case though.

That shop just called . Said for a 139
Theyd do the diagnostic,..,it might come to that as the new owner
Is texting the sh@t outta me wondering when the f&ck his ZHP dream is gonna be ready

MooseX
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Blew off the diagnosis appt and instead got my lazy ass in there. Upon inspection at 118k my lower boot is shot. I went ahead and ordered both upper/lower boots plus an F dealio. Vacuum hoses too. Coonector ring as well 'just in case'. Pelican Parts overnite from LA

Also ordered a GAS DISA rebuild kit. No sense goin in there and not servicing the DISA

Im pretty sure the Vanos needs attention too. Might do that later as a favor to my buddy buying the car. Ive done it before. Not that tough a job in a warm garage..

LivesNearCostco
12-17-2013, 04:08 PM
Well you found a leak, hopefully that is the cause and the fix!

MooseX
12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
First time I was HAPPY to find a leak. Accordion ' split on 2 places

Did the cash deal today. Halle officially had a new owner

The search for my personal dream ZHP starts NOW:

Alpine 6mt Coupe w/tan leather

Its time to break the jet black curse

MooseX
12-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Ok update time:

Did all of the stuff mentioned above and still pulling codes. The only one I haven't addressed is
2783 Air Flow Sensor with HFM

I hoping ..praying I wouldnt have to fork out the $$ for one but now that dream is dead

Also remember..doh..the previous owner used a K&N. That was pulled for a paper filter last month
About the time the SES light arrived. I cleaned the MAF that day too

Whatever its MAF time.

Question: which OE maf? Searching I see M3's have hot film mafs. Are zhp's the same? I noticed those seem
Alot cheaper. I need one overnite so a west coast supplier is optimum.

Usualy go through Pelican but if you guys have better ideas

MooseX
12-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Note: im in a pretty rural area so east coast overnite shipping always takes 2 days

Not sure where Realoem' is..east? Its gotta be here manana or the deal could go south

Thanks and Seezins Greetings

LivesNearCostco
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Only one unresolved code left? I'm no MAF expert but if the car is running okay I'd just clean the MAF again, clear the code, and wait (or encourage your friend to wait) for a week. I like buying parts from AutohausAZ with free ground shipping if you order >$75 and no sales tax in California, but the free ground shipping is slow. They sell the MAF for $309. If you order by noon Pacific, they'd probably ship it today but it wouldn't arrive until Tuesday. (You can pay more for faster shipping.)

And AutohausAZ looks like they're no longer a ZHP Mafia affiliate.

MooseX
12-19-2013, 09:35 AM
I use them too. Ill def pop for overnite shipping. Cant wait for Ground from AZ

Im almost 110 percent sure it needs a new Maf. Cleaned it twice since ive owned the car

And it should clean up the pre 3k stumble..