PDA

View Full Version : BMW E46 Steering Wheel Removal/Install doityourself

kayger12
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
The caveat here is that I have not done this myself yet. This info is taken from several sources. Torques and procedure were confirmed with my Bentley manual.

Those of you who have done this, feel free to jump in with any hints or advice.

PROCEDURE

1. Center steering wheel and make sure front wheels are pointed straight.

2. Disconnect negative cable from battery.

3.***WAIT AT LEAST 1 MINUTE AFTER DISCONNECTING BATTERY BEFORE WORKING ON THE AIRBAG***

FOR SPORT STEERING WHEEL:

4. Insert screwdriver through opening in rear of steering wheel and push against spring tension to release airbag unit lock.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-02-15_18-48-45_152.jpg
Repeat procedure on other side of steering wheel.

FOR MULTIFUNCTION STEERING WHEEL:

4. Loosen (2) Torx T30 screws behind steering wheel while holding airbag in place.

5. Lift airbag off of wheel and disconnect harness connector.

6. Remove steering wheel center bolt.

7. Confirm steering column and steering wheel match marks (arrow below) and remove.
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-02-15_18-14-16_245.jpg

Store airbag horn side up.

REINSTALL

1. Align steering wheel and column match marks.

2. Align steering wheel to alignment pins on steering column switch block.

3. Reinstall steering wheel center bolt. Torque to 46 ft-lbs.

4. Reinstall airbag. Reconnect electrical harness connector.

5. Torque airbag T30s to 8nm or 71 INCH lbs.

Edit: Another thing you might notice while paying close attention to your steering wheel is that it does not seem to be parallel to your chest/seat while you sit in the car. It might seem that the right side of the wheel is just a little closer to you than the left side of the wheel.

This is because........ the wheel actually is mounted that way. After taking measurements from several e46s on this site, we were able to confirm that the steering wheel is in fact canted slightly with the right side of the wheel approximately 1" closer to the driver than the left side.

It is a small enough distance that you won't really notice it unless you are really looking for it, but if you should notice it, take comfort in the fact that it's completely normal.

For reference, other DIYs:
http://www.bmw330ci.net/projects/m3wheel.php
http://www.my330i.com/mod23.php#D

Also some good info here http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1155-New-Affiliate-Advertiser-Coby-Wheel/page3

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Damn...that does not look hard at all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MasterC17
02-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Pushing the lock spring is harder than you'd think. Took me half an hour the first time, now I can do it in a couple minutes. Oh, and definitely make sure the marks match when putting the wheel back on, my wheel is currently one off to the left :rofl.

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 04:25 PM
What does one off to the left mean? One what? Flat?

pyreguy
02-15-2011, 04:46 PM
When I first got my car, my mechanic buddy (happens to hold several BMW certifications-yay) went to straighten my steering wheel and reset my sensor to zero, or centered, and I remember being amazed at how quick he got that wheel off. I was impressed at how easy it looked.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I iz not skeered anymoarz.

MrMaico
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Pushing the lock spring is harder than you'd think. Took me half an hour the first time, now I can do it in a couple minutes. Oh, and definitely make sure the marks match when putting the wheel back on, my wheel is currently one off to the left :rofl.

Well then I got lucky.:biggrin I had it popped off in 2 or 3 minutes, but like I said, I really wasn't expecting to find them that fast. I think it's all in finding the right angle to go in at. I'll try and remember to take some pics with a screwdriver in place showing the proper angle before I pop the bag back on. And I made sure when I parked it last fall that my steering wheel was perfectly straight so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem centering it again......hopefully.

Barry

MrMaico
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I iz not skeered anymoarz.

You shouldn't have any problems Dane. It helps being familiar with BMWs various connector lock tabs.

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
OK...Thanks Maico

MasterC17
02-15-2011, 06:37 PM
What does one off to the left mean? One what? Flat?

In this picture:
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-02-15_18-14-16_245.jpg

The wheel was not centered on and is one sprocket to the left. Somehow I messed it up, just haven't had time to fix it. Not too big a deal at the moment.

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
ok.....got it. So one off and you will notice?

MasterC17
02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
ok.....got it. So one off and you will notice?

You'll definitely notice. When holding the wheel straight you'll be going right. It's pretty much like the car is it out of alignment.

MrMaico
02-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I got my wheel back today and installed. Here is a shot showing the correct angle to go in at the release springs. You can faintly see the screwdriver inside the wheel and notice that you're actually pushing on the inner arm of the spring (looks like a safety pin) to release the airbag.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0733/1191341754_sfvD2-L.jpg
Large version: http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0733/1191341754_sfvD2-X3.jpg (http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0733/1191341754_sfvD2-X3.jpg)

After I installed my airbag I noticed it wasn't sitting evenly all the way around the wheel so I had to remove the airbag and adjust the top 2 of the 3 torx screws that hold that plate that contains the airbag springs. Had to tighten one a bit and loosen the other a bit. If I was to do this again I would probably just leave that piece on the wheel and just remove the 2 wiring harnesses from it so I wouldn't have to mess with adjusting that piece.

Out of curiosity I tried to find that piece that contains the airbag springs on Realoem and didn't have any luck. Anyone else able to find it? Would suck to break that piece somehow and have to buy a new wheel to get one!

Other than that everything went smooth. Something else I should mention, when I removed my wheel I used my Makita cordless impact wrench on the center bolt. Worked great for removing the bolt. I'd assume if using a ratchet on it you'd have to be careful breaking it loose so you don't damage the steering lock mechanism.

Looks awesome! Can't wait to get my shift knob back from getting it wrapped in Alcantara.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0736/1191342239_CmZXx-XL.jpg

I'll post a separate thread about the re-wrap later, might wait till I get my shift knob back.

Barry

ZSP-Mafia
02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Thats gorgeous

MrMaico
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
One more......

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/IMG0740/1191342403_x75mJ-XL.jpg

And NO AIRBAG LIGHT!! :applause2 Not yet anyway. I've read of some people getting an airbag fault light even though they unhooked the battery before removing the bag. I haven't actually started the car yet so I'm hoping it doesn't have to be started before it will throw a fault.

Hoping to get it out for a drive tomorrow. It's supposed to be perfect conditions for a winter drive without having to worry about sloppy/salty roads.

ZSP-Mafia
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
:crying I gots the airbag light

pyreguy
02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
That turned out excellent!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

kayger12
02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks great!

MrMaico
02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
:crying I gots the airbag light

Do you know why? Was it from removing the airbag with the battery still connected?

Thats gorgeous

That turned out excellent!

Thanks guys!

ZSP-Mafia
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM
I disconnected the battery when i swapped wheels. I had the intermittent airbag light from the seat occupancy sensor before, but it's always on now.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-18-2011, 04:44 PM
And the beauty is that the creator of this masterpiece is an advertiser here. I hope he sells a grip of these.

Looks great, Barry.

MasterC17
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Looks great, looking forward to seeing the shift knob!

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Thats gorgeous

And the beauty is that the creator of this masterpiece is an advertiser here. I hope he sells a grip of these.

Looks great, Barry.

Yes, thanks Mark, I should have mentioned that. It was done by Mike at Cobywheel.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?52-Coby-Wheel

Excellent work and excellent price!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-19-2011, 10:40 AM
NO worries. Just trying to steer business toward Mike.

llll1l1ll
11-01-2011, 05:21 PM
I was reading up on Coby Wheel's stuff and noticed he will not take the core charge if there are holes in the back of the steering wheel. Well, to get the wheel off, there are two slots that you need to stick a screwdriver in. However, I can't do that without breaking the holes on the slot. Granted, I have not tried - but that's how it seems. Is there a way around this? Are the slots more like a pet door flap?

zj96sc
11-01-2011, 05:31 PM
You can tear them open wide if you don't know what you're doing, I think this is what Coby Wheel is referring to. There should already be a slit there, if you know how to push on the release spring you won't tear it larger.

llll1l1ll
11-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Gotchya. When I'm ready for it, I'll go for it.

I have my eyes set on one of those delicious alcantara wheels with tri color stitching... :drool

webster
11-10-2011, 02:33 PM
does anyone have any tips for getting the airbag off? I've been poking and prodding for an hour now and I can't seem to get it.

danewilson77
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
does anyone have any tips for getting the airbag off? I've been poking and prodding for an hour now and I can't seem to get it.

Assuming the diys = not useful in this regard?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

HokieZHP
04-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Just found this thread....how does one reattach the springs on the new wheel?

MrMaico
04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Just found this thread....how does one reattach the springs on the new wheel?

Are you talking about the plate with the airbag springs on it? I just went until they felt like they were getting snug and also I thought maybe the horn might not work right if they were all the way tight . It kinda felt like they might be stripping so I didn't go all the way tight, just until the airbag looked like it was sitting in the proper place. Afterward Mike at Cobywheel told me he goes all the way until they're tight. One of these days I might tighten them some more but they are working fine as is.

HokieZHP
04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Can you elaborate? I'm confused as to how the springs attach? Are they pressure fitted into a fitting or do they hook onto something? I'm talking about when you are reattaching the wheel, do I just put the screwdriver in the side and push the spring into the wheel again or what?

MrMaico
04-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Can you elaborate? I'm confused as to how the springs attach? Are they pressure fitted into a fitting or do they hook onto something? I'm talking about when you are reattaching the wheel, do I just put the screwdriver in the side and push the spring into the wheel again or what?

Oh, now I gotcha. No, you just push the airbag on and they will just clip into place. No need to push the spring in or anything.

HokieZHP
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh alright, so they just need to be pushed in when removing the airbag? That's simple enough haha

MrMaico
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Oh alright, so they just need to be pushed in when removing the airbag? That's simple enough haha

Yup....nothin' to it. Now that I've thought about it for a day IIRC you just need to be a bit careful that you push the airbag on equally on both sides otherwise one side will hook and then you can't get the other one started. You'll figure it out.:thumbsup

Barry