PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?!

BustedBoat
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Alright so as I soon hope to be a future "true" member of the famiglia, I'd like to get started on learning everything there is to know on the zhp. I know there is a thread on what you guys know about the car, which I do plan on taking full advantage of. Yet there is just one problem. I am a hands on learner to the max. So my question is based on two levels. First can i get a basic understanding of the workings of a bimmer by working with another car? Maybe another bmw or another completely different car? Secondly in relation to the title where do I start? I've attempted to read books in a slight attempt to overcome my deficiency, but i just get lost in a jumble of words and without a true place to start. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long read

danewilson77
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Read this.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

Look at pics....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?588-BMW-330-ZHP-Engine-parts-and-misc-familiarity-pictures

and understand...these are easiest cars ever to work on. You got this.

az3579
02-16-2011, 02:35 AM
and understand...these are easiest cars ever to work on.

With the exception of this. :p

mimalmo
02-16-2011, 07:17 AM
I'll agree with Dane. Much easier to work on than other cars I've owned.

BustedBoat
02-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Once again everyone to the rescue, thanks knights of the wheeled table. Thanks for the links Mr. Wilson

http://finemoviesonline.net/wp-content/images/matthau1.jpg

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Youi just give us specific questions, anytime, and we will do our best to deliver.

BustedBoat
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Okay on my way to school today i came up with a question about chipped cars. What exactly is a chipped car. Is a chip actually inserted into the car or is the cpu(?) just reprogrammed. Does it have to be re-chipped after every new piece is added. Like does a chipped car need to be re-chipped after a supercharger installation?

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Okay on my way to school today i came up with a question about chipped cars. What exactly is a chipped car. Is a chip actually inserted into the car or is the cpu(?) just reprogrammed. Does it have to be re-chipped after every new piece is added. Like does a chipped car need to be re-chipped after a supercharger installation?

This may help.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?867-Shark-Injector-Installed

az3579
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM

For those of us that don't really feel like clicking a link and adding yet another tab to our browsers:

A chipped car is a car that has an aftermarket performance chip installed to the ECU box. It replaces the factory unit. Older Bimmers, mainly pre-OBDII cars, use chips instead of software flashes.
Post-OBDII cars usually have performance software flashed onto the existing programmable chips, and the existing chips I don't believe are replaceable. This is more electronic, and therefore means less work to actually install the software (just plug into the OBDII connector and press a button or two).

And yes, you should reflash/rechip your car when you add a supercharger or other performance-oriented mods. This will allow software that is optimized for the mods that you have.
For example, when I got my Shark Injector, it asked me what mods I had so they could put the corresponding software on the module that flashes the car.

Cars that either have a chip or performance tune via software flash are both sometimes referred to as "chipped".

BustedBoat
02-16-2011, 03:43 PM
is there a better term for chipped?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
EDIT: flashed.

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM
is there a better term for chipped?

For our cars, "flashed" is more appropriate. We don't use chips, we have software updates. When you update some software that is located on a physical chip, it's called "flashing".

Marcus-SanDiego
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
For our cars, "flashed" is more appropriate. We don't use chips, we have software updates. When you update some software that is located on a physical chip, it's called "flashing".

Thanks, BP.

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks, BP.

I totally missed your post. Wow... I feel dumb now for repeated what you just said. lol

Marcus-SanDiego
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
BP, I changed my post after I saw yours. You said flashed. I agreed. I edited my post.

BustedBoat
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
What puts more wear on an engine, super charger or turbo?

mimalmo
02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Properly maintained and using acceptable levels of boost, neither one should dramatically decrease engine life.

BustedBoat
02-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Does one give better gas mileage, or bang for buck?

az3579
02-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Does one give better gas mileage, or bang for buck?

Turbo is your best bang-for-the-buck, though neither returns very good fuel economy compared to stock. Depends on when the boost kicks in for the turbo, and for the supercharger... well, the power is always there as far as I know. If you can keep it out of the powerband, then you should get decent fuel economy, depending on how heavy your right foot is.

iZHP
02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
are there any software updates available for our cars? or would you just "reflash"?

BustedBoat
02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
is there any idea on how bad of a hit i'd take installing ne or the other, in terms of gas mileage?

mimalmo
02-17-2011, 10:47 PM
If gas mileage is a concern, turbos are generally more fuel efficient than superchargers.