PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a Nikon D3100, Where should I start changing settings?

M0nk3y
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
I just ordered a Nikon D3100 from samsclub online...it was $559 shipped, such a deal IMO.

Anyways, I've been reading A LOT of articles on ISO, Shutter, Aperture...etc

Question is though. In ballpark ranges, where should I start each of these settings at? Ideally, my first shots will be of me detailing my car when I get home, and taking shots around the house.

Also, Can I have the camera focus automatically while still manually adjusting these settings?

Any other settings I should start playing with as well?

Right now I'm just using Photobucket to upload photos. Should I create a flickr account to allow more quality photos uploaded.

Sorry for such broad questions, trying to make them specific as possible.

gr330zhp
02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Insane deal!!! Congrats!

Mine cost roughly $700 with the extra lens! And then another $140 for the extra warranty.....yeeeaaa :shifty

I say buy the "Nikon D3100 for Dummies" book. It will be your best friend! I cant believe the amount of controls this camera has! I picked the book up for $20 at Borders

billschusteriv
02-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Sorry I don't have a good response...

I think a lot of this depends on the conditions. I'm not at a level to break that down... I use my camera's presets and sometime fiddle hoping to get something right. When I was doing some nightshots I went to a Canon forum, found a subforum for cameras like mine, and looked for the information on various settings for conditions in shots.

Considering lots of ppl on here have Nikons, I'm thinking you'll get some good feedback here.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say on this...

Good luck and can't wait to see pics when you get the camera.

C Withers Media
02-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I just ordered a Nikon D3100 from samsclub online...it was $559 shipped, such a deal IMO.

Anyways, I've been reading ALOT of articles on ISO, Shutter, Aperture...etc

Question is though. In ballpark ranges, where should I start each of these settings at? Ideally, my first shots will be of me detailing my car when I get home, and taking shots around the house.

Also, Can I have the camera focus automatically while still manually adjusting these settings?

Right now I'm just using Photobucket to upload photos. Should I create a flickr account to allow more quality photos uploaded.

Start your ISO as low as possible, increase as you need more light to the sensor.
Shutter and Aperture are dependent on the depth of field you want to achieve and the speed you want the shutter to release at. These also work in conjunction with ISO. The best place to start would be in your manual.

Yes, the camera is typically smarter than the person operating it. Please allow it to autofocus.

No, unless you can read the manual and understand what the benefits and consequences are of moving settings.

Yes, photobucket sucks in terms of quality and feedback. Flickr members will help you get better by providing the hard truth.

jvr826
02-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Congrats! Try this as a primer...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100/users-guide/index.htm

Not a huge Ken fan, but free information is good sometimes. ByThom doesn't seem to have anything on the D3100 yet, but he's one of the better Nikon resources out there...

http://bythom.com/nikon.htm

I have a flickr pro account. Free accounts have a 200 image limit. The UI could use some help, but it's a good site for hosting and sharing.

If you really want to learn, carry a small notebook and take notes on all your photos. Take the same picture several times and vary the settings so when you get home you can see what you think. You do have extensive EXIF data, but having some notes about how you setup the shot may be helpful too.

IME, "A" mode turns your spendy DSLR into a crappy PNS camera. "P" mode gets you better exposure and flash performance... at least on my D80.

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Anyways, I've been reading ALOT of articles on ISO, Shutter, Aperture...etc

That came with an 18-55?

M0nk3y
02-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Insane deal!!! Congrats!

Mine cost roughly $700 with the extra lens! And then another $140 for the extra warranty.....yeeeaaa :shifty

I say buy the "Nikon D3100 for Dummies" book. It will be your best friend! I cant believe the amount of controls this camera has! I picked the book up for $20 at Borders

I was able to pick up a 3 year warranty for $80.

Start your ISO as low as possible, increase as you need more light to the sensor.
Shutter and Aperture are dependent on the depth of field you want to achieve and the speed you want the shutter to release at. These also work in conjunction with ISO. The best place to start would be in your manual.

Yes, the camera is typically smarter than the person operating it. Please allow it to autofocus.

No, unless you can read the manual and understand what the benefits and consequences are of moving settings.

Yes, photobucket sucks in terms of quality and feedback. Flickr members will help you get better by providing the hard truth.

Congrats! Try this as a primer...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100/users-guide/index.htm

Not a huge Ken fan, but free information is good sometimes. ByThom doesn't seem to have anything on the D3100 yet, but he's one of the better Nikon resources out there...

http://bythom.com/nikon.htm

I have a flickr pro account. Free accounts have a 200 image limit. The UI could use some help, but it's a good site for hosting and sharing.

If you really want to learn, carry a small notebook and take notes on all your photos. Take the same picture several times and vary the settings so when you get home you can see what you think. You do have extensive EXIF data, but having some notes about how you setup the shot may be helpful too.

IME, "A" mode turns your spendy DSLR into a crappy PNS camera. "P" mode gets you better exposure and flash performance... at least on my D80.

Thank you both with the suggestions

That came with an 18-55?

Yes, it's actually at $549 now...I just checked

C Withers Media
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
A lot of newbies get hung up on the difference between shooting on Auto Mode and auto focusing. Auto mode sucks, auto focusing is what you will use 99% of the time. As was mentioned before, use the P mode or Program mode that lets your camera basically correct for mistakes that you may be making, beyond that practice shooting in manual, aperture priority, and shutter priority.. All have their uses. I use shutter priority on rolling shots and for sports, basically anything in motion that I want to control how fast the shutter drops. When in this mode the aperture will adjust automatically in camera to compensate for what I am asking it to do.

I shoot in Aperture priority when I am shooting landscapes are want to control a particular depth of field in changing light conditions, the camera will compensate by adjusting the shutter speed to keep the aperture where I want it.

You just have to play around, keep notes, and keep shooting.

M0nk3y
02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Casey.