PDA

View Full Version : Lighting controls, passenger side mirror + other questions

MisterMotorist
02-16-2011, 08:59 AM
OK, so I am getting used to E46 things after a decade in my E36 (RIP) and I have a few questions of the gurus.

1. Are there options for having no front lights illuminated when driving?
2. Possible to run fog lights only?
3. Possible to override the passenger side mirror which dips down to look at the curb when in reverse? Sometimes there are other things I want to look at when I am backing up.
4. Suggestions for temporary mounting Garmin/Magellan, etc. 4.5" GPS (like HVAC louver mount things @ Best Buy) - what is best solution? This should be removable/stowable so the bad guys don't see it when I am parked...
5. Link to hard-wiring Valentine? I am planning to do Home Link and V-1 install in one install.

Thank you

gr330zhp
02-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey man

1. You have to get Daytime Running LIghts switched off at the dealer. Very easy for them to do.
2. You would need to have your parking lights on at least, to have your fogs on.
3. Yes just switch the mirror switch to the opposite side. Cant remember which way it shuts it off, but opposite but what you have it at hehe
4. Not too sure on this :dunno
5. I will find the link.... hold up

Hope I could help :)

Edit: heres's the link http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_valentine_v1.shtml

kayger12
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
1 & 2, as stated above.

3. Mirror switch to the driver's side- passenger mirror lowers in reverse. Switch to the passenger side- passenger mirror stays up in reverse.

4. Nav mat works great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U5TUWE?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000U5TUWE

iZHP
02-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Mirror switch to the driver's side- passenger mirror lowers in reverse. Switch to the passenger side- passenger mirror stays up in reverse.

This.

MisterMotorist
02-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Thank you for the invaluable tips - everything seems easy.

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 01:20 PM
You can also change a setting in the coding so that it doesn't point all the way down when you select reverse but most dealers don't know about it.

I'd like to get this done to mine. Don't like the fact that it goes all the way down all the time.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=2495563&postcount=3

mimalmo
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Barry, there's a whole slew of options you can change with the programming.

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

Your best bet is to compile a complete list of features you want changed/turned on/turned off and strike a deal for getting them all done at once to avoid paying big bucks at the dealer or indie shop.

MrMaico
02-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Barry, there's a whole slew of options you can change with the programming.

http://www.e38.org/B090398_Att2_CKMSet.PDF

Your best bet is to compile a complete list of features you want changed/turned on/turned off and strike a deal for getting them all done at once to avoid paying big bucks at the dealer or indie shop.

Thanks Eli, yup I did have a few things changed when I had my car down there last year and one of them on my list was this mirror change but Seth told me it wasn't possible. I should have pressed him a little to take a look again at the options. It obviously can be done because others have done it but I've also read of dealers/indys that are convinced it's not possible.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=2495563&postcount=3

Barry

mimalmo
02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Wow, we know something about the E46 that Seth doesn't? Unheard of. Seriously though, he's probably the brightest guy in the country when it comes to the E46 so I wonder why he says it can't be done.

MrMaico
02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Wow, we know something about the E46 that Seth doesn't? Unheard of. Seriously though, he's probably the brightest guy in the country when it comes to the E46 so I wonder why he says it can't be done.

I know what you mean. I just got the impression he had never seen that option so was convinced it couldn't be done. Maybe you should mention it to him sometime and see if he will do a little more investigating.

Barry

ryankokesh
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Someone may want to keep me honest here, but I think there might be a way to have only fog lights. One of the settings for the LSZ is some sort of European mode. What is does is makes it so that the parking lights don't come on when you turn the headlights on- they're only used as indicators. What I'm not sure of is if the parking lights come on when the light switch is in the first position. If they don't, then you'd be set for fogs only. I'm also not positive this euro mode is techically legal in the states...

pyreguy
02-21-2011, 04:20 AM
Technically legal :rofl

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

iZHP
02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Someone may want to keep me honest here, but I think there might be a way to have only fog lights. One of the settings for the LSZ is some sort of European mode. What is does is makes it so that the parking lights don't come on when you turn the headlights on- they're only used as indicators. What I'm not sure of is if the parking lights come on when the light switch is in the first position. If they don't, then you'd be set for fogs only. I'm also not positive this euro mode is techically legal in the states...

that's called corner delete. And yes, that's illegal in the US...
When I was getting my car programmed the other day, my mechanic told me he couldn't do "fogs on with high beams" but I've seen other people do it. Any ideas how to enable this feature?

ryankokesh
02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
You're going to want to set FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ to "nicht_aktiv" in ncs to make the fogs stay on with your high beams.

iZHP
02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
You're going to want to set FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ to "nicht_aktiv" in ncs to make the fogs stay on with your high beams.

thanks for the response...now if only I can figure that out...I don't have any equipment for coding.

ryankokesh
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe it'd be easy for your mechanic to do if he knew the setting name?

if you want to do it yourself, you'll need a $20 obd cable and a pretty big time investment.

RITmusic2k
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
You can also change a setting in the coding so that it doesn't point all the way down when you select reverse but most dealers don't know about it.

I'd like to get this done to mine. Don't like the fact that it goes all the way down all the time.

This is among the settings I had changed yesterday.

What happens now is: when the switch is moved to the passenger side, the mirror moves to a programmable position (which you set by moving the switch to the passenger side, engaging reverse, then adjusting the mirror, then disengaging reverse), but if you move the switch back to the driver's side it still moves to the lowest position. So, you lose the ability to bypass this behavior when you perform this mod... it either moves all the way down or moves to your custom position (which I guess you can set to be the same as its typical position if you really get tired of it).

But, in my case I was able to find a middle ground in the custom position where I can see my rear wheel and enough of the side of the car to perform mirror backing without any compromise. I like it. I'll buy a replacement if I burn out the motor prematurely.

MrMaico
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
This is among the settings I had changed yesterday.

What happens now is: when the switch is moved to the passenger side, the mirror moves to a programmable position (which you set by moving the switch to the passenger side, engaging reverse, then adjusting the mirror, then disengaging reverse), but if you move the switch back to the driver's side it still moves to the lowest position. So, you lose the ability to bypass this behavior when you perform this mod... it either moves all the way down or moves to your custom position (which I guess you can set to be the same as its typical position if you really get tired of it).

But, in my case I was able to find a middle ground in the custom position where I can see my rear wheel and enough of the side of the car to perform mirror backing without any compromise. I like it. I'll buy a replacement if I burn out the motor prematurely.

Thanks for the info. Now I have to think if this is something I'd want. Right now I kind of improvise, I use my seat/mirror memory to adjust my mirror for backing. Position #1 is my normal settings and #2 has the mirror tilted down a bit so I can see better for backing into the garage and I leave the right/left mirror switch set so it doesn't tilt down in reverse. I just have to push the seat memory #2 button when I'm backing in.

Barry

RITmusic2k
02-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Heh, that's a clever solution! Good thinkin' :)