PDA

View Full Version : ODBII (ODB2) Bluetooth Adapter - First Impressions Review

Lanister
01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
So I've been reading more and more about the usefulness of the ODBII Bluetooth adapters; particularly with apps like Torque (Android only). With their prices around $13-25, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give one a try. There is a variety of choices out on the market at the moment and they all have their pros and cons. Some of the cons include size (too big), lack of power button (will drain the battery if left plugged in), inconsistent BT connectivity, compatibility issues with certain phones. So based on this data, I went with the following product as I couldn't find anything negative on it.

Specifications:
1. OBD2 Bluetooth
2. With ON/OFF Power Switch
3. Works with all OBD-II compliant vehicles
4. Bluetooth 5~10 meter range

Features:
Color: Black and White
Size: 4.6 x 2.3 x 3.1cm (L x W x H) (Approx)
With ON/OFF Power Switch
Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific,
and display their meaning.
Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
when used with compatible software

Display current sensor data, including:
- Engine RPM
- Calculated Load Value
- Coolant Temperature
- Fuel System Status
- Vehicle Speed
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Intake Manifold Pressure
- Timing Advance
- Intake Air Temperature
- Air Flow Rate
- Absolute Throttle Position
- Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
- Fuel System status
- Fuel Pressure
- Many others...

(Credit) Image and specifications have been obtained from AVIN Website (https://avinusa.com/torque-compatible-bluetooth-obd2.html)

As you can tell from the pictures and specs, it doesn't have any size issues and power button allows you to leave it plugged in. You still have to remember to turn it off but, supposedly, it's not an issue if your battery is in good shape.

Surprisingly, it was very easy to set up. Almost too easy. As soon as I plugged it into the ODBII port, it linked up with the ECU. My phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) paired with it right away--without the need to enter any codes. I might have to credit Android with that since it probably just tried the common (1234 or 0000) codes on its own but I can't be certain. The first time I started Torque, it immediately linked up with the BT adapter without me having to do anything. As I said, too easy. The only option I changed in Torque thus far is I've enabled the faster BT connection. Apparently not all phones/adapters support it but I think it's basically a higher refresh rate. No notable connectivity issues to report after about 30 minutes of use.

I've tried it in both of my cars (ZHP and VW Eurovan) and it worked as advertised. So far, aside from real-time data, I thought it was very cool to look up and clear fault codes from my phone. There's much more to be found with Torque application but that's not what this review is about.

The aforementioned AVIN site lists it for $25, but I managed to pick it up on eBay for $12.65 shipped from this eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251333612755?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

derbo
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Waiting for a week impression after this :)

PirateZHP
01-14-2014, 11:31 AM
So, it seems like you are endorsing this product? It worked as advertised, and you would recommend anyone looking for something like this to go with this particular unit. Is that correct?

Lanister
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
In my research, I was surprised to find that certain seemingly similar products had very different results. In some cases, bt connectivity was unstable and in others it simply wouldn't even talk to the ECU. This particular device appears to have good reputation so far. It's also encouraging that AVIN offers it as an accessory to their head units running droid OS. Obviously it's still early days for my personal experience with it but the initial impression is positive. I'll give it some time and will continue to provide updates.

*EDIT* Perhaps I should say that it worked as "expected"

Avetiso
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
:thumbsup Thanks for the review, Giya.

ryankokesh
01-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Might try one of these...mine isn't exactly batting 1000 in the connectivity department.

Do you have to turn it on each time you turn the car on? I use tasker to automatically turn on my mounted phone and run torque when the car starts, so I'd need it to be on when the car is started.

Sent from my iPhone

Lanister
01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
As long as you don't take it out, it stays on if you leave it on. That's regardless whether the car is on or off. Conversely, if you turn it off, it stays off, regardless of the car. However, if you pull it out while it's off and put it back in, it will turn on automatically.

Sent from outer space...

derbo
01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Does this work with harrys laptimer?

Lanister
01-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Good question but I don't have the app. Is there a free version?

Sent from outer space...

johnrando
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks Giya. Keep us posted.

Lanister
01-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Week two and the Bluetooth dongle is working famously. No issues what so ever. Really liking the on/off button option. Lately, it's been in my VW Eurovan more since it's been throwing me fault codes and it's so nice to just pick up the phone, check out the fault code and clear it or research it on the spot. Lovin' it.

The challenge now is to use Torque app to extract more information from it. The ECU is feeding it quite a bit of data, which I can see under "Raw Data Display" but not all of it gets organized in a nice gauge or a graph automatically. Still, if you're looking for O2 sensor voltages or cam shaft angles, it's all there in raw format. It seems like I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg.

johnrando
01-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Thx for the update.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

wsmeyer
01-21-2014, 03:07 PM
The ECU is feeding it quite a bit of data, which I can see under "Raw Data Display" but not all of it gets organized in a nice gauge or a graph automatically. Still, if you're looking for O2 sensor voltages or cam shaft angles, it's all there in raw format. It seems like I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg.

If you add a gauge there are quite a few choices for O2 voltage, none of those are what you wanted?

Lanister
01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
If you add a gauge there are quite a few choices for O2 voltage, none of those are what you wanted?

Yeah. I'll check it out tonight.

Lanister
02-02-2014, 02:53 PM
So far, still 0 complaints about this device. Been using to troubleshoot and just poke around the data with no connectivity issues. Starting to get more and more out of Torque app as I play with it more. Tried it in my friend's Mercedes Sprinter with much success as well.

wertyu78
02-03-2014, 07:33 PM
I am going to purchase one. Thank you for the review!

Sent from my iPhone

Fried_Chicken
02-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Any word on compatibility with the iPhone?

TigerTater
02-09-2014, 06:42 AM

+1

Lanister
02-09-2014, 10:32 AM
No idea. :(

NorCalZman
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM

I have a GoPoint BT1 for my iPhone obd2 reader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tkundhi
02-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Does the GoPoint BT1 solution work well? Can you read all the BMW specific codes or just the generic OBDII codes?

t.

NorCalZman
02-10-2014, 08:34 AM
Just generic obdII codes. I would have to use PA soft to look at BMW codes I believe. I have yet to find an iphone app that can read BMW specific codes from an OBD II reader.

ELCID86
02-13-2014, 02:31 PM
I thought I'd post this kickstarter here as it's a similar topic. Thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd?ref=category

Lanister
02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
I guess WiFi is the way to get around Apple's strict Bluetooth policies.