PDA

View Full Version : Best Location for Donut Spare?

Crickett
01-15-2014, 08:57 PM
So I haven’t had my ZHP on a square set of wheels and tires—245/35ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on 8" 135Ms—for even two weeks and this happens:

http://tcholo.net/images/bmw/20140115flat01.jpg

http://tcholo.net/images/bmw/20140115flat02.jpg

Only eleven days and 535 mi on the tires and no road hazard insurance … d’oh! :facepalm

Anyways, since I have the same size wheel and tire at each corner, I wanted to ask the Family’s opinion on which wheel position would be best to install the donut until I can get a new tire. The flat occurred on the left rear, so that’s where it is now, but would there be any argument to putting it on the front axle instead? I thought that, since our rear tires wear faster than fronts, it might be smart to put the donut up front to reduce its wear. Or do you think it won’t matter much at all?

Alternatively, I do still have my set of winter wheels (205/55R16s). Would it be beneficial to put two of those up front and two good 245s at the rear, saving wear on my donut? Or maybe just drive on all four winters until I can get a new 245 (it has been kinda cold here recently … )?

Hermes
01-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Use your winters since you have a full set, forget the donut, keep your 18's in the garage until you buy a new tire or patch the current one

Pip
01-15-2014, 09:02 PM
That sucks. Can you get it plugged? Sad day if not. I don't think it matters much if your just driving a few miles for a couple days.

Crickett
01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
Use your winters since you have a full set, forget the donut, keep your 18's in the garage until you buy a new tire or patch the current one

That sucks. Can you get it plugged? Sad day if not. I don't think it matters much if your just driving a few miles for a couple days.

No-go on a repair (at least at the local Firestone); too close to the shoulder/sidewall. The big reason I got to thinking about my best spare/winters setup is because I still have to drive 60 mi round-trip to work every day, and putting along at 50 mph was killin’ me today! (Although the mpg was great!)

Pip
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Gotcha. I'm with JP then. Use the winters. And the best place for the spare is in the trunk. I don't know what I'm going to do when this happens to my car without a spare. Guess the local tire shop better have what I need or I'm down and out for a couple days.

derbo
01-15-2014, 10:01 PM
if you can't use the winters, I would suggest the rear to have the donut. Front tires do 100% steering and alot more of the braking than the rear. :)

LivesNearCostco
01-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Unless you're going to the drag strip, then definitely donut on the front... in fact 2 donut spares on the front!

derbo
01-15-2014, 10:28 PM
The one thing I would be concern is the difference in rotational diameter causing the differential to heat up. What size is the donut anyways?

alexandre
01-16-2014, 12:48 AM
the one thing i would be concern is the difference in rotational diameter causing the differential to heat up. What size is the donut anyways?

p125/50r17 IIRC

danewilson77
01-16-2014, 04:30 AM
if you can't use the winters, I would suggest the rear to have the donut. Front tires do 100% steering and alot more of the braking than the rear. :)

Here.

wsmeyer
01-16-2014, 07:36 AM
I vote rear. Two problems I see with putting it on the front:

If you have to swerve suddenly id be afraid of it rolling off the rim.

If you slam on the brakes I think it will pull hard to the side.

Also, since we have open diffs I don't believe the difference in circumference will lead to much additional heat in the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-16-2014, 07:38 AM
+1

fredo
01-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Did you buy the tires in Discount Tire ? I hear they prorate the thread left on the damaged tire when you buy another one from them (even without road hazard insurance). But, I never tried this myself.

derbo
01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
I vote rear. Two problems I see with putting it on the front:

If you have to swerve suddenly id be afraid of it rolling off the rim.

If you slam on the brakes I think it will pull hard to the side.

Also, since we have open diffs I don't believe the difference in circumference will lead to much additional heat in the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I agree. That's a good point about the differential not having that much hear because it's an open diff.

Sent from my iPad

Crickett
01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
p125/50r17 IIRC

125/80R17, actually. 0.62% smaller diameter than the stock 255.

Did you buy the tires in Discount Tire ? I hear they prorate the thread left on the damaged tire when you buy another one from them (even without road hazard insurance). But, I never tried this myself.

No, I got them from TireBuyer.com. I’m really reconsidering my decision to not buy road hazard insurance … I might go by Discount Tire anyway and see if there’s anything they could do to help me out.

I went ahead and put my winter set on last night (start-to-finish in 55 min!) and tucked the spare back in the trunk.

danewilson77
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
125/80R17, actually. 0.62% smaller diameter than the stock 255.

No, I got them from TireBuyer.com. I’m really reconsidering my decision to not buy road hazard insurance … I might go by Discount Tire anyway and see if there’s anything they could do to help me out.

I went ahead and put my winter set on last night (start-to-finish in 55 min!) and tucked the spare back in the trunk.

Sorry this happened.

TireRack is an affiliate... Just as a reminder.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

az3579
01-17-2014, 04:55 AM

If you hit something slippery and the rear loses traction, the rear end slides out. You don't want the donut on the rear.
Conversely, if you slide in the front, the worst that can happen is understeer if in the middle of a corner. Back off the throttle and you're good.
If you're in a braking situation, well it's a good thing you followed the recommended speed of the donut because you'll be fine. Extra space is a requirement with the donut anyway.