PDA

View Full Version : It's official!! I picked up my 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP

AzkotikBMW
02-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I picked up my 2005 330ci ZHP this weekend and drove it 1,000 miles home (between my cousin and I) within 24 hours of owning it. I loved every second of it. The car was quite a bit louder then I thought it would be due to the Ebay headers and the MagnaFlow exhaust. (I love how it sounds)

However, today, when I was done with work I ran the car for about 15 minutes idle in my driveway and then went to fill it up with gas. When I turned it off at the gas pump the yellow oil light came on. While the gas was pumping I checked under the hood and checked the oil level. It looked just fine to me, so I didn't get too uptight. Afterwards, I drove home 45 minutes and didn't see the light again.

Am I being paranoid of something wrong with my brand new car? Could it have just been because it was in position 1 or 2 on the ignition that made it light up as I turned the car off? If nothing else I'm just going to change the oil this weekend. Any suggestions?

kayger12
02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
When the yellow oil light comes on after shutdown, it means you are 1 qt low on oil.

Did it come on again when you shutdown when you got home?

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
It did that to me for about a week straight and I couldn't figure out why, so I checked my level and it was low. I believe you have to check your level when it's cold to get the most accurate reading, if I remember correctly.

AzkotikBMW
02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
No, it didn't come back on when I got home. The driveway I had it parked on about 2 minutes previous to seeing the light is about 20% grade, so I was wondering if that could have been the cause.

az3579
02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd say don't worry about it, unless it becomes a consistent problem. Check the levels again in the morning if you can though to make sure the levels are ok.

kayger12
02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
No, it didn't come back on when I got home. The driveway I had it parked on about 2 minutes previous to seeing the light is about 20% grade, so I was wondering if that could have been the cause.

Could be. Also might be a little low but not quite a quart so it only triggered on the steeper grade. I would just check her again and make sure she's good.

You should be squared up after the oil change anyway.

danewilson77
02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Could be a faulty level sensor as well. Very common problem on E46. Monitor actual oil level....until your are confident of no leak. When you are confident.....and if you still get light....change out the sensor at next oil change. Three bolts secure it in place in the oil pan.

MasterC17
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just periodically check the oil level. Mine comes on randomly all the time. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with being in the cold. Was it below about 40f out?

danewilson77
02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I believe it has to do with a small amount of sludge build up near the sensor...

iZHP
02-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Did you have the car looked at before you bought it? Not trying to worry you, but on a car with headers and other mods I would've had it checked out first before a long trip like that. But you made it so that's good! My oil light came on and went off a few times and it was low so I wouldn't ignore it. Any idea of the service records?

AzkotikBMW
02-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Yea, the PO took great care of the car. All the mods were put on by a certified dealer, and has a million service receipts to prove it. He abused the SHIT outta the 100k warranty, every little thing he could get them to replace for free, he did. I'm still going to change the oil this weekend or next so it should be fine. But if I did just want to get it checked out, should I just ask for a PPI?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Except in this case your PPI would not be a pre-purchase inspection. It would be classified as a post-purchase inspection. A PPI by a different name, I guess. :biggrin

AzkotikBMW
02-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I did call the dealership he took it to regularly and they said it was in very good condition....so I trust them.

MasterC17
02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I believe it has to do with a small amount of sludge build up near the sensor...

By sludge you mean the milky yellow stuff due to the CCV? If so than that would make sense.

danewilson77
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah....but that sheeeeet accumulates, over time, in the bottom of the oil pan.....and can fowl the sensor.

MasterC17
02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah....but that sheeeeet accumulates, over time, in the bottom of the oil pan.....and can fowl the sensor.

So that's what fowls it? Who came up with this whole CCV idea anyway?

OP: I would agree it's a good idea to do an oil change; you never know.

AzkotikBMW
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I've heard it accumulates in the Oil Separator....due to moisture in the engine and then cold weather or something....
Anyways, I'm going to give her an oil change and put her away for the winter because she's NOT used to this wisconsin snowy/icy stuff....