PDA

View Full Version : Glass Pack for a resonator

Smolck
01-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I saw the below video on youtube and love the sound. I think it is the same member trying to trade his alcantara for leather interior. Anyways, it says he used a glasspack for a resonator.

In thinking through how I am going to build my custom exhaust (now that the headers are done) I was curious, is this common practice?

I am trying to kill the rasp and get a deeper tone. Any thoughts? And would a glasspack in place of the stock 2nd resonator yield similar results with the stock muffler?

http://youtu.be/kiBJFWgqxNY

328ioc
01-20-2014, 12:43 PM
I am not sure about glass packs but when a friend of mine put on headers he installed some 100 cell race cats into section 1 to help with both the rasp and the smell. He said it was great. Sadly he sold the car before I got a chance to hear it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smolck
01-20-2014, 01:12 PM
I am not sure about glass packs but when a friend of mine put on headers he installed some 100 cell race cats into section 1 to help with both the rasp and the smell. He said it was great. Sadly he sold the car before I got a chance to hear it.

Also thought of doing this, but I need to know how much POWA I will lose with cats. I won't sacrifice even 5hp for cats, I just won't.

328ioc
01-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Also thought of doing this, but I need to know how much POWA I will lose with cats. I won't sacrifice even 5hp for cats, I just won't.

I wouldn't for see much loss from race cats.

After looking at the pics you posted I bet most of your gained power came from eliminating the bottle kneck just before the cats versus the cats them selves.

Smolck
01-20-2014, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't for see much loss from race cats.

After looking at the pics you posted I bet most of your gained power came from eliminating the bottle kneck just before the cats versus the cats them selves.

I'd say that and the fact that I had about 30% flow through one cat and maybe 50% through the other was my biggest issue. My car had what would amount to an elephant on its chest. Problem is, I see no need to add the cats if they sap any power. The smell doesn't bother me enough to worry about it.

But it would be nice to clean it up a little so I don't kill some poor motorcyclist some day who follows too closely.

328ioc
01-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I'd say that and the fact that I had about 30% flow through one cat and maybe 50% through the other was my biggest issue. My car had what would amount to an elephant on its chest. Problem is, I see no need to add the cats if they sap any power. The smell doesn't bother me enough to worry about it.

But it would be nice to clean it up a little so I don't kill some poor motorcyclist some day who follows too closely.

Exactly and if it helps with the rasp and smell at the same time then I would consider it killing two birds with one stone.

I think we need someone with some more exhaust experience to chime in.

Smolck
01-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I'd really like to know if the glass pack is in place of the stock resonators, or in addition to them.

Smolck
01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
So nobody has anything to add? Glasspacks? anyone?

Avetiso
01-22-2014, 02:41 PM
No experience with them.

midlandtech
01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Never used them on this car buy I've used them on my 79 cutlass and 79 Malibu

taptalk + Note 3

Smolck
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
I had them on old cars too, just never thought to use one as a resonator.

Rovert
01-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Resonators are good. If you're doing an exhaust system you want them to eliminate drone inside the cabin. I don't have resonators and I get moderate drone on load from 1000 - 2500. How much are race cats on average?

Smolck
01-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Resonators are good. If you're doing an exhaust system you want them to eliminate drone inside the cabin. I don't have resonators and I get moderate drone on load from 1000 - 2500. How much are race cats on average?

Race cats are $70 each, Magnaflows, on ebay.

Rovert
01-26-2014, 02:59 PM
oh wow...that's cool...so there is no reason why BMW cats are worth so many times the cost? Would race cats do pretty well the same? I'm gather if they have more flow....they'd only do maybe 75% of the cleaning?

Smolck
01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
oh wow...that's cool...so there is no reason why BMW cats are worth so many times the cost? Would race cats do pretty well the same? I'm gather if they have more flow....they'd only do maybe 75% of the cleaning?

Not sure I can quantify the % of scrubbing a race cat does. BMW cats, like ALL cats, are expensive because they are filled with a mesh of precious metals like platinum and rhodium. It is also a very high tech manufacturing process that drives up the price. The "race" cats have less material the exhaust has to pass through, and therefore has more "flow". Some are made from the precious metals, some are made from ceramic type materials.

I would say they are good for 50% effeciency vs the stock cats. Maybe less.