PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eyes

deuce08s
01-22-2014, 05:09 AM
So I seem to be one of the last people on the Angel Eye bandwagon as I've been sitting on the fence for a couple of years now and really want to get a set for my ZHP.

In doing all of the research it seems that a lot of people like Umnitza's V2 (opaque) and they have also updated their models (V4, V2.5, etc). The thing I don't like about them is that they don't accommodate the different sizes for the xenon and the halogen bowls on cars with xenon lights. That leaves Weisslichts. Well, when I shop for Weisslichts there are now just four options on Bimmian and JLevi's sites (the same options). However, there is only ONE option for cars with xenons.....a 78-LED clear. I asked JLevi what the deal is and it appears that with the new BMWs having the "corona rings" already installed Weisslicht has decided to pull back on manufacturing different options for halo lights. They have three options for cars with halogens for both bulbs, though.

My question is this......has anyone tried to purchase any of these last remaining options that are "made" for halogens and installed them on their xenon lights? I'd really like the 120-LED model or even the 42-LED Frosted versions (which are being clearanced as we speak), but no longer does Weisslicht make them for the xenon headlights. I can't find any pics of halogen assemblies next to xenon assemblies, but I guess they're different enough.

And due to the decline in demand the lifetime warranty option is not available anymore.

If I have to get Umnitza's I'd just hate knowing that the halogen ring is not properly sized to the bowl diameter (OCD), especially for the money you'd think they'd fulfill that design issue.

Long winded, but any thoughts? Anyone have any experience with the 78-LED kit from Weisslicht?

Thanks!

SoarinZHP
01-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I bought European Auto Source angel eyes and they absolutely suck. They don't fit right over the xenon part of the light. When I inquired as to what the deal was, the told me there was something wrong with my car. Would not do business with them again.

cakM3
01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I have gone through many different types of angel eyes from ccfl (ebay), mycarr, JLevi, and now Umnitza Orion V4s. Of all the angel eyes I have used, I have to say I love the Orion V4s I'm now running on the ///M. So much so that come spring when the weather warms up and I go back to working on my headlights on the ZHP, I will be installing another set of Orion V4s for the ZHP. They are bright, which is the way I like it, and they also feature the night controller option where they dim when the headlights are turned on. Not bad if you ask me. :thumbsup

kayger12
01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
No angel eyes is the new angel eyes. :biggrin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-22-2014, 06:02 PM

Funny Keith :)

kayger12
01-22-2014, 06:03 PM
I'll be here all week. Remember to tip your waitress. :)

johnrando
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Umnitza V2s here, no complaints. You have a coupe?

jiggz
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Totally agree.

JKO_ZHP
01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
I have Umnitza Orion V2's - one of the batches that had some faulty rings according to an insider. First, one ring went bad, then just two nights ago, all four stopped working. Everything seems in order but I will have someone else check it out as I'm not even slightly knowledgeable of the wiring. It's been less than two years since they were professionally installed. I guess that is why they came up with the 2.5s.

I've also had DEPO's (Helios). Those were UU shaped unlike Umnitza's OO. They were actually as bright as the V2's but I can't attest to their longevity though, mine were destroyed in a crash just months later.

Weisslicht.....I think I've seen them before on some pre-LCI E46 M3's around here. Not as bright, but probably because the rings are thinner too.

There is one other option: The Retrofit Source. I think their new Morimoto XB LED angel eyes are ordered by the pair, not set, so you can choose the two that would fit your size requirements.

Avetiso
01-22-2014, 10:35 PM
My Morimoto angel eyes did not match in color between the large and small ring, but they were a discount item, so maybe that's why.

Do research on them before you buy.

johnrando
01-23-2014, 09:16 AM
I have Umnitza Orion V2's - one of the batches that had some faulty rings according to an insider. First, one ring went bad, then just two nights ago, all four stopped working. Everything seems in order but I will have someone else check it out as I'm not even slightly knowledgeable of the wiring. It's been less than two years since they were professionally installed. I guess that is why they came up with the 2.5s.

I've also had DEPO's (Helios). Those were UU shaped unlike Umnitza's OO. They were actually as bright as the V2's but I can't attest to their longevity though, mine were destroyed in a crash just months later.

Weisslicht.....I think I've seen them before on some pre-LCI E46 M3's around here. Not as bright, but probably because the rings are thinner too.

There is one other option: The Retrofit Source. I think their new Morimoto XB LED angel eyes are ordered by the pair, not set, so you can choose the two that would fit your size requirements.

JKO, Hieu (sillieidiot) in Fountain Valley installed my AE's, you might want to ping him.

deuce08s
01-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I have a 2005 sedan.....I know NOT having them seems to be the coolest thing ever, but I don't like being cool! ;) They look cool, but maybe they aren't worth the $150 potential trouble?

johnrando
01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Yup, do what you want. Just cuz a few ppl on e46fanatics say angel eyes are "played out", doesn't mean nutting.

derbo
01-23-2014, 11:44 AM
I prefer the halogen ones on Rando's vert if I HAD to get AE.

I personally like city lights more :)

johnrando
01-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks Derek.

cakM3
01-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Yup, do what you want. Just cuz a few ppl on e46fanatics say angel eyes are "played out", doesn't mean nutting.

+1

Either you do it or you don't....all that matters is that you're happy with your car :thumbsup

deuce08s
01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
+1

Either you do it or you don't....all that matters is that you're happy with your car :thumbsup

Oh, I"m +1-ing all the way on that one. I'm just bummed because what I want isn't available......so I'm losing momentum. :(

baz11
01-24-2014, 05:23 PM
angel eyes on non-BMW cars is played out, and just looks tacky in many instances. They still are cool on bimmers because they actually look good...

QC_ZHP
01-24-2014, 06:13 PM
^I agree. The headlights are perfect for it, just looks natural. I just wish they'd make a 5000k set.

deuce08s
01-25-2014, 08:34 AM
My Morimoto angel eyes did not match in color between the large and small ring, but they were a discount item, so maybe that's why.

Do research on them before you buy.

From what it looks like on Retrofit website the rings they sell look very yellow when off......but GREAT when on. They even put it as a disclaimer in their description attributing it to the phosphorus coating they have on the leds.

JKO_ZHP
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
JKO, Hieu (sillieidiot) in Fountain Valley installed my AE's, you might want to ping him.

Late but I have, thanks John.
The number of problems within the headlights now is ridiculous. I'm on the verge of selling the strut bar or style 135s and use the cash to just get a new set of headlights and have a company (NOT Umnitza) build it from the ground up.

WOLFN8TR
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM

X2...Partially because I have to bake my dam headlights to install them.

sillieidiot
01-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Ah, now I see where the recommendation came from.

X2...Partially because I have to bake my dam headlights to install them.

But it's so easy. it's even easier than taking the VANOS apart lol

wsmeyer
01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
From what it looks like on Retrofit website the rings they sell look very yellow when off......but GREAT when on. They even put it as a disclaimer in their description attributing it to the phosphorus coating they have on the leds.

That's true of all "white" LED's. They are blue LED's with a phosphorous coating. The LED excites the phosphorous wich emits yellow light and mixed with the blue light makes white.

Pretty ingenious really, hope somebody made a fortune thinking of that.

sillieidiot
01-28-2014, 10:28 PM
That's true of all "white" LED's. They are blue LED's with a phosphorous coating. The LED excites the phosphorous wich emits yellow light and mixed with the blue light makes white.

Pretty ingenious really, hope somebody made a fortune thinking of that.

he did. and then he used the same tech to make blue lasers emit white light as used in BMW's laser lighting.

derbo
01-29-2014, 12:26 PM

+1

johnrando
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
What-ev.

derbo
01-30-2014, 12:14 PM
What-ev.

:wub

johnrando
01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Right back at cha. :)

sillieidiot
01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
i wish EAS still made the auroras, it just needed a better clipping system and it would have been perfect.

cakM3
01-30-2014, 01:57 PM
i wish EAS still made the auroras, it just needed a better clipping system and it would have been perfect.

Believe it or not....when I installed the Orion V4's on my ///M, I found the clipping system to be perfect! It was tight and I had to use a small flat blade to just pry the clips apart to put on the headlight assy but after that they stayed on and didn't slide around. I'll be getting another set sometime in spring for my ZHP :thumbsup

sillieidiot
01-30-2014, 02:06 PM
yeah i think Orions had a good clipping system. but their angel eyes didn't look natural. with the acrylic magnifying the LEDs and all, it made it look too thick. and it's way too bright already. i liked EAS because it looked thinner, even the v2 or whatever was already too bright. but the clips keep breaking. I do have a bag full of clips though for the customer's i've installed them for.