PDA

View Full Version : Typical Labor Cost for 4 Pads And Rotors

mLuMaN83
02-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Wondering what the typical labor cost would be from a good indie shop for replacing all 4 pads and rotors?

I got my brakes on the way from Ray and I would like to get an idea. I would do it myself but I don't have the tools or knowledge for this specific job. I am NOT a suspension or brakes guy.

danewilson77
02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Probably looking at $250.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
02-03-2014, 07:20 PM
It's not a hard job and worth learning and buying the few tools required for only a fraction of the cost of having them done. If I was a little closer I'd lend you a hand. If you're interested in taking on the challenge you should be able to find a repair manual at your local library or, I can scan the pages from my Bentley manual and pm you.

Anyway, I can usually complete the job in 4 hours or less and that's about the max hours I would pay. You may also need to pay some shop or disposal fees as well.

Good luck

jakksfor20
02-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Metric Allen wrenches, set of metric wrenches (8-18mm is good for basic stuff), Metric sockets (8-18mm, 3/8" drive), add a torque wrench with a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and you can do brakes.

Pads can be trashed. Take the rotors to your local scrap yard.

3ZHP,
Did you know you have a spelling error in your sig. Actually, it's just a "mis-type"?

UdubBadger
02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm with Guy on this one. It's seriously VERY easy, tons of youtube videos on the e46 brake jobs to guide you through the entire process. Save your money for other stuff.

BCS_ZHP
02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Hopefully you can find a family member nearby for assistance. This is a great learning opportunity, it's not too hard but having an experienced mafiaso assist is the security blanket. When I teach someone, normally I'll do one corner with them watching, then they do the 2nd corner with unlimited questions allowed, next I supervise the 3rd corner with very limited questions, and finally I walk away as they do the 4th corner. Both my sons learned this way, had to do a small refresher the next time they did a brake job but after one corner they told me to go away.

UdubBadger
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
^thats awesome.

my strategy for repairs is call Ryan and make him do them for me and when stuff REALLY goes wrong we have Dane on speed dial.

johnrando
02-03-2014, 07:52 PM
I know nothing about brakes nor suspension and I did my own brakes by just looking at DIYs. It's not hard at all. As they said, it would be good to find someone close who's done it before, but you can do it. Otherwise, with you giving them the parts, it shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mLuMaN83
02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
My only worry is running into a problem. This is my DD and I can't afford to have it on stands, but yes, I just watched a 20 min DIY and it was easier than I suspected. I don't think I would need anything except lube and jack stands as I no longer have my jack stands. Movers stole them. I'de probably save $175 by doing it myself. I worked at a junk yard for 2 years so I know my way around things but that was tearing apart. This is also my baby and she needs to be done right!

NorCalZman
02-03-2014, 08:09 PM
i know how you feel. I don't have an issue with doing simple stuff like changing filters or retrofitting BT or the alarm kit but when it comes to stuff that my life depends on like brakes, I would only do it if I had someone experienced checking my work over my shoulder (also need a place to do it!) despite me having done this twice before on previous cars. I agree with everyone else that you should do it yourself and save the money! We are all cheering you on. Hopefully a local mafia member sees this thread and would be willing to serve as quality checker.

3ZHPGUY
02-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Just take your time and do one axle at a time. The only thing I see as a possible problem would be breaking loose the bolt that holds the rotor on so, do that before you start and you should be good to go.

BCS_ZHP
02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
If you were a dismantler, this is easy peasie lemon squeezy for you. Dismantle one corner and start to reassemble while having the other still assembled corner to refer to. The hardest part is getting the rotor retaining screw loose, soak it with PB Blaster (soak them on every rotor), let it sit a while, soak again and let sit. Then buy a good set of metric Allen head socket ($20-25 Craftsman from Sears), fit that into the rotor retain screw/bolt, tap it with a hammer to seat it in there well, then use a rachet and remove it. Also buy a few cans of Brake Kleen, don't worry about your greasy fingerprints on rotors, you can spray all of that off at the end. And buy some anti-seize compound to put on all bolt threads for the reassembly process.

mimalmo
02-03-2014, 08:19 PM
Brakes are suuuuuper easy. Several DIY's are out there to walk you through it.

Free tip: I like to have a brush-top container of anti-seize handy for all of the contact points so everything moves as it should and squeaks are non-existent.

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000AAJTXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391487258&sr=8-1&keywords=anti-seize+brush

I put that stuff on the backside of the pads where they contact the calipers, on the clip where the pads slide back and forth, on the backside of the rotors and a small amount where the wheels touch the face of the rotor so they don't stick (alloy to steel). I've done 3 brake jobs in the last couple years and none of them squeaked when done.

BCS_ZHP
02-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Brakes are suuuuuper easy. Several DIY's are out there to walk you through it.

Free tip: I like to have a brush-top container of anti-seize handy for all of the contact points so everything moves as it should and squeaks are non-existent.

Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80078-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Bottle/dp/B000AAJTXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391487258&sr=8-1&keywords=anti-seize+brush

I put that stuff on the backside of the pads where they contact the calipers, on the clip where the pads slide back and forth, on the backside of the rotors and a small amount where the wheels touch the face of the rotor so they don't stick (alloy to steel). I've done 3 brake jobs in the last couple years and none of them squeaked when done.

Yep, if you don't have the silver of anti-seize on you hands/arms/some other body part and somewhere on your clothes, then it wasn't a complete brake job. This Permatex anti-seize is available at any discount car parts store, and it's only about $5-7 which will last you forever.

danewilson77
02-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Hopefully you can find a family member nearby for assistance. This is a great learning opportunity, it's not too hard but having an experienced mafiaso assist is the security blanket. When I teach someone, normally I'll do one corner with them watching, then they do the 2nd corner with unlimited questions allowed, next I supervise the 3rd corner with very limited questions, and finally I walk away as they do the 4th corner. Both my sons learned this way, had to do a small refresher the next time they did a brake job but after one corner they told me to go away.

I've done this with Justin as well. E46 is an easy car to work on.

He's completed VANOS, cooling system, brakes, suspension, Aux input, pullies, tranny and oil changes etc. Started him off at 18.

When I get the new shop setup (2 weeks :)), I'll start with Walker (16)

Bruce,

Did I mention yet that I'm nominating you for Redbooks Dad of The Year?

danewilson77
02-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Just take your time and do one axle at a time. The only thing I see as a possible problem would be breaking loose the bolt that holds the rotor on so, do that before you start and you should be good to go.

When I stand there and let people struggle, I see them having problems with the anti-rattle clip as well.

JupiterBMW
02-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Drive down here and I'll do it for you, for the cost of lunch (typically $5 in pizza). Then you get to (a) meet another Mafia member and (b) learn how to do it yourself. Not to mention, its always better to DIY for that feeling of accomplishment afterward.

UdubBadger
02-04-2014, 08:01 AM
There ya go!

Goin' HAM mobile

NorCalZman
02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Jon FTW!

BCS_ZHP
02-04-2014, 09:35 AM
There's the winning ticket, a nice little drive down south, use Jon's tools (cost avoidance for now), lean on Jon to walk you thru it (guaranteed you'll get it installed correctly - recall he's a machinist, they're perfectionists), some pizza & beer, what's not to like?!!!

fredo
02-04-2014, 09:42 AM
As an added bonus, you will have chance to check a brand new 328d ! That's a no brainer ! :biggrin

mLuMaN83
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Lol. If I was closer then I would come see you, Jon. It would be a strain on my time and the gas cost along with hotel would not help. I would love to make the trip. And stay a few days but I have school.

I'm going to get ahold of somebody here. We have 2 member located right here in Gville so I'm gonna see if somebody might want to dig into this job with me. I'll pay for the pizza and the beers.

imola red zhp
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
I just did this job a week ago with a friend who has done these on his E39 M5 and his wife's E46 325i. I watched him do the front left and he supervised me do the front right. It wasn't bad at all. 2 hours with bleed. Parts I got from Ray (smilez) 4 blanks centric rotors Hawk HPS pads 2 sensors, fluid shipped $360 Otd. Ray will work with you on specifics. Have fun....

sent by new technology DA

JupiterBMW
02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Can you still buy me pizza too? Nom nom nom.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

mLuMaN83
02-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Can you still buy me pizza too? Nom nom nom.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

I eventually want to move to Jupiter so we will see Joop. I will buy you a Pizza...

328ioc
02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I can't remember the break down. But at my Indy here in Melbourne I paid $750.00 for all four. With all OEM parts and labor.....dealer wanted 1600 for just the rears.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

fredo
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Back in dec-2010 my Indy charged $310 for labor (front and rear brakes). That was for my e90, so not sure how that compares to e46.

johnrando
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I'll buy you a pizza just for the cool offer to help out, Joop.

JupiterBMW
02-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I eventually want to move to Jupiter so we will see Joop. I will buy you a Pizza...

Sounds good man. And don't forget, you know a Jupiter based Realtor... Don't forget that when you want to move down here! And if you ever need to visit and check out the area, the house is open for you man. No need for a hotel, we've got a comfy spare bedroom with private bath...

Hornung418
02-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Subscribed.

Sent from my GS3.

UdubBadger
02-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah you can come see his new 5 series

mLuMaN83
02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Sounds good man. And don't forget, you know a Jupiter based Realtor... Don't forget that when you want to move down here! And if you ever need to visit and check out the area, the house is open for you man. No need for a hotel, we've got a comfy spare bedroom with private bath...

Thanks brother. That is very generous of you! We need more of this in the world...

Subscribed.

Sent from my GS3.

Lol

JupiterBMW
02-04-2014, 05:07 PM

:rofl

mLuMaN83
02-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Are we sure we're talking about "his"? . . . . .

JupiterBMW
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Are we sure we're talking about "his"? . . . . .

I make the money... Its mine... But the funny part is that you said it was a 5 series... The new car for my lady is a 3 series... Go check the other thread... :P

johnrando
02-05-2014, 08:44 AM

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 09:12 AM

I think this one has run it's course. :-}

johnrando
02-05-2014, 10:30 AM
Nah, we like to run things into the ground around here.

ELCID86
02-05-2014, 10:38 AM
http://mgoblog.com/sites/mgoblog.com/files/beating-a-dead-horse.png

danewilson77
02-05-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't even see the post anymore.

Smilez
02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Back in dec-2010 my Indy charged $310 for labor (front and rear brakes). That was for my e90, so not sure how that compares to e46.

Same set up. Rotors and pads depending on the e90 series almost same price as e46.

Hey Mike, pick up some tools, pick up a friend and do them. It's easy to do just a bit time consuming. There is a great satisfaction when replacing your own parts.

mLuMaN83
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Same set up. Rotors and pads depending on the e90 series almost same price as e46.

Hey Mike, pick up some tools, pick up a friend and do them. It's easy to do just a bit time consuming. There is a great satisfaction when replacing your own parts.

Yeah I usually do most of the work on my cars but I really didn't want to do this one lol. I'm gonna just suck it up and get er done.