PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Cracked Rear Window Trim

amunsey688
02-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Hey guys. So in a few weeks, I'm going to have some time off and am going to spend the majority of that time working on the Bimmer. One of the things I have wanted to do is replace the lower rear window gasket trim that has cracked badly and is falling apart. I was looking at the following site: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3687&hg=51&fg=05 and it appears to be part #8. I wanted to confirm that. Also it has that part in a regular finish and a "high gloss shadow line" finish. I wasn't sure which type the ZHP trim falls under. In addition, anybody's experience replacing this trim would be helpful. Thanks guys!

P.S. the pic I included isn't actually my car, but it has the same issue as mine

Lanister
02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Part #8 is the right one. The gloss finish is the most expensive but that's what comes with ZHPs. You have to buy this trim. No way around it. Also, you will need a special tool to remove the old tape under that trim, otherwise it's a nightmare. Check post #24 in my project thread on that. (link in my sig)

As for the weather trim, it's more tricky. It's a little rubber piece that's attached to the long railing. It's not sold separately unfortunately and each railing is $350/side or something obscene like that. There is a much cheaper route. Check post #1 (log entry for date 10/5/13) in my project thread. I have links to before and after pics as well as the link to DYI.

P.S.
The DYI recommends the 3M weather trim but I thought it was too soft. I found that Metro worked much better.

Let me know if you have any questions.

BCS_ZHP
02-11-2014, 03:36 AM
Tischer BMW (now Silver Spring, MD) has it at getbmwparts.com, discounted to $1025 for the whole set. Go to above site, scroll down & click on "e46 fan", it's listed on page 4.

amunsey688
02-11-2014, 07:59 AM
I appreciate the info guys! I wish these trim pieces weren't so expensive. I checked out your DIYs Lanister, and I will most likely do something like that or very similar.