PDA

View Full Version : VIR track weekends

Asiah119
02-11-2014, 11:27 AM
I wanted to put the word out that HPDE dates for the tarheel CCA are scheduled. The first weekend is April 25-27 full course, June 27-20 on the north course, and then October 10-12 full course again. Registration has started for tarheel bmw cca memeber and affiliate members, I want to say that registration for other bmw cca memebers opens on the 14th.

VIR just finished repaving the entire track and making improvements to the track. I'm aiming to at least be there for the April date.

ELCID86
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
So is this a spectator sport?

Asiah119
02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
I suppose you could spectate, but driving is significantly more entertaining than watching others drive.

Also I forgot the link to the Tarheel BMW CCA site that has all of the information in case anyone is interested in going.

http://tarheelbmwcca.org/track.html

I'll be the guy folded into a silver zhp coupe.

HokieZHP
02-11-2014, 01:07 PM
What's the cost to do these? And do I have to be a member of Tarheel CCA?

Asiah119
02-11-2014, 02:02 PM
It's $435 for two days. The November event had three sessions on Saturday and four on Sunday. The current registration is open only to Tarheel cca members and affiliate members. Any cca member can register after the 20th.

They just raised prices because attendees were complaining about bad dates. Better dates steeper prices. The third event last year was the weekend before November and it was just over freezing on Sunday. Early October seems like a big improvement.

HokieZHP
02-11-2014, 02:32 PM
Gotcha, well I'm not a CCA or Tarheel CCA member unfortunately. May have to get on that

Asiah119
02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
You get discounts with some businesses for being a member, but I really just use it for the magazine and events like this.

HokieZHP
02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Gotcha. My car isn't too track ready at the moment with it's old-man squishy suspension, at least compared to my old ZHP with hotchkis sways... Although it'll be a monster on the straights

Asiah119
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
When you're just starting out its more driver skill than car capabilities. I was in the same group with a new m5 in November. He slowed me down in the corners and then left me in the dust on the straights. It was annoying as hell. You don't really need any upgrades for suspension, tires, or brakes until B really. Its a stupid amount of fun.

HokieZHP
02-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Yeah it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love to do some when I have some more $. A recent speeding ticket + lawyer fees kinda wiped me out for now haha

Asiah119
02-12-2014, 08:23 AM
See, you get on the track so you're less tempted to speed on public roads. I'm still new to doing track weekends, but already having been in a place where I get to go fast and don't have to worry about trucks or other idiot drivers has made speeding on public roads a lot less tempting.

I had also convinced myself that I was going to do a lot more wear on my tires and brakes than I really did.