PDA

View Full Version : Diff Bushings

Vas
02-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Just interested in hearing some more info in regards to replacing the diff bushings.

How many miles on the original?
What brand did you go with?
How was the install?
Any issues or noises?
Tools used?
Any recommendations?

Plenty of options out there for them. Let's hear some feedback.

illirep
02-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I replaced them on a previous ZHP at 93k miles, with OEM bushings. They had hairline cracks observed during a visual inspection. I didn't notice the infamous noise or clunking that others have spoke of.

The install took my indy several hours. I think the bushings were only $30 each.

I don't know which tools are needed, but he did say they were sort of a pain in the butt.

jakksfor20
02-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Dropping the diff is the hardest part. I ended up buying the kit that I rented from a fellow local fanatic. Tried to do the subframe bushings at the same time. That was a royal PITA. I was only able to finish one of them before I said "screw it." They weren't that bad anyways on the 323. No torque=no damage. I should put that up on the tool loaner program when I get back. It has the tool for the 2 small ones and the larger one.

Vas
02-11-2014, 07:00 PM
That might be a good idea. I would be interested in renting the tools since based on research, they make the job easier.

Oem Bmw bushings are $17 for the front and $60 for the rear.

illirep
02-11-2014, 07:55 PM
I remember being in the $60-$70 range for both, assumed they were priced similarly.

derbo
02-11-2014, 09:15 PM
the subframe ones were a pain in the but to do.. I had a shop do mine.

I opted for OEM diff bushings cause I didn't want to introduce more NVH.

BimmerWill
02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I need to do my rear main carrier bushing on the diff... haven't done it yet cause I hear it's such a pain. Will prob go OEM or meyle depending on the price difference. Diff fluid needs to be changed while I'm in there as well

sent from S4

QC_ZHP
02-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Wish I would've done the diff bushing when I swapped to a 3.38 but I plan on doing mine in the near future. Definitely going AKG.

Vas
02-12-2014, 06:34 AM
AKG does make bushings but not sure how they are for the street and if they are worth it on a street car. Price iirc is around $140 for the 3 bushings.

For the pricing posted above, I got it directly from ECS for factory BMW parts.

derbo
02-12-2014, 08:53 AM
My diff bushings were tearing at 110k, but thats with track days in them. I opt to replace the whole subframe with M3 at that point ;) I think Vas should do that same hahah. :)

QC_ZHP
02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Nice. I'm fairly young so my tolerance for NVH is high

Vas
02-12-2014, 09:13 AM
My diff bushings were tearing at 110k, but thats with track days in them. I opt to replace the whole subframe with M3 at that point ;) I think Vas should do that same hahah. :)

I am roughly at that mileage as well. An M3 rear end swap with new bushings and lsd would be great. Just not 100% what goes into that swap.

derbo
02-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Vas you can always PM/text/googlehangouts me and we can discuss.

sent from Moto X Dev edition

derbo
02-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Nice. I'm fairly young so my tolerance for NVH is high

LOL I'm under 30 :P

QC_ZHP
02-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Lol. It just has to pass the date test. As long as your date doesn't say "Why does your car pull like that", "Your car is really bumpy", or "Your car is really loud", its all good. Of course if it does get brought up the obvious answer is "because racecar"

Vas
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Derek, thanks for the offer. I will be in touch because I badly want an lsd.

BCS_ZHP
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Lol. It just has to pass the date test. As long as your date doesn't say "Why does your car pull like that", "Your car is really bumpy", or "Your car is really loud", its all good. Of course if it does get brought up the obvious answer is "because racecar"

Is it only me that's thinking these type of questions result in "end of date". Idk, I'm old.

az3579
02-12-2014, 05:54 PM
AKG does make bushings but not sure how they are for the street and if they are worth it on a street car. Price iirc is around $140 for the 3 bushings.

For the pricing posted above, I got it directly from ECS for factory BMW parts.

I will be buying the AKG bushings (95A durometer). This is the street/performance set that should still be livable on the street.

I have 180k on my OEM bushings and they've been shot for about half a year now. By shot, I mean shifting proves sloppy movements in the back even with near perfect rev-matches. I can hear a slight clunk occasionally but overall just feels loose back there.

Vas
02-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Dropping the diff is the hardest part. I ended up buying the kit that I rented from a fellow local fanatic. Tried to do the subframe bushings at the same time. That was a royal PITA. I was only able to finish one of them before I said "screw it." They weren't that bad anyways on the 323. No torque=no damage. I should put that up on the tool loaner program when I get back. It has the tool for the 2 small ones and the larger one.

Are you willing to rent out the tool?

jakksfor20
02-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Unfortunately I am not home and won't be for another 10 days. Once I get home and situated, I'll gather it up and probably work out something. If I did anything it would be kind of like the loaner program.

rkneeshaw
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Anyone check out Powerflex differential bushings? I think these are a new release for them. They now have the front and rear diff bushings on their website. Rear shock mounts too btw.