PDA

View Full Version : does any body have a 1/4 mile or 0-60 real world breakdown for performance mods?

diverse
02-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Hello all.
I have watched many reviews and many articles
rarely do I see the increased horse power torque numbers posted along side 0-60 or 1.4 mile times

I am planning some cheap modifications without getting crazy like
AFE cold air
maybe an after market cat back system
some sort of tune like conforti shark injector or other well repudiated tune.
and finally pulley kit
I may even opt for a cam around the same time I need to adjust my vanos or change a head gasket

I will do these things simply because I know that together combined with the factory modifications already made I should see some gains in both torque and horsepower

What I do not know is what effect this will have in quantifiable numbers
what 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times I may see.

I definitely plan on doing a video when I complete my mods
not just a dyno which means little to me. since I do not drive on a ramp
for example how is a cold air intake supposed to do its job if it is not being bombarded with real air blowing whild running 80mph?

anyway

If anyone has any data at all from any mod that they did
and what effect this had on their 0-60 or 1/4 mile time
I would be very interested.

The zhp is a great car and I want to know how to best improve it affordably

Any help would be appreciated

johnrando
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
That's because posted dyno results are rare, and the improvements aren't really enough to dyno for anyway, unless you go FI or headers with all the extras you mentioned. What you talking about is maybe 25 - 35 HP (just a thumb in the air estimate that could be high), so not much. There's just not a lot of naturally aspirated HP you can add to these.

diverse
02-12-2014, 11:58 AM
right if I can 20hp I will be happy especially if there is some torque thrown in

but not being knowledgeable about how this translates into real world driving

I am left clueless as to what my money will be buying?

does 10 hp gain with a 7 torque gain mean
I will shave a 1/4 second on my 0-60 or a 1/4 second on my quarter mile time?

having people provide such info would really help a new comer make better decisions on where to spend his or her money

stephenkirsh
02-12-2014, 02:53 PM
I think it takes a lot more than ten horse power to get a 1/4 second off.

Those are the exact same mods I plan to do. So I'm very curious to see if anybody has any insight on this.

johnrando
02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
All I know is that my car certainly feels faster after similar mods so to me, it's worth it. But, it's not significant. For me, for the deals I got/prices I paid, it was worth it. For full price, it would be a tough call as to whether or not they were worth it. Sorry I can't give you real torque/HP numbers. Butt dyno enjoys the mods though.

diverse
02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
I think it takes a lot more than ten horse power to get a 1/4 second off.

Those are the exact same mods I plan to do. So I'm very curious to see if anybody has any insight on this.
Great minds think alike

diverse
02-12-2014, 03:34 PM
I appreciate that J
feeling faster should be whats really important..
and I hope to be in your place soon looking back at what I have done. and thinking hey my car feels better runs better sounds better
and I just shaved ...... off of my ..........

when I get them done I will be sure to post results.

Pip
02-13-2014, 07:21 PM
With aFe intake, TSE3 catback and eurocharged tune it felt significantly quicker and more responsive to my butt. I could certainly feel the love drain from my soul as I parted the car out to stock and was left with what I once thought was a peppy car. It was still the same incredible zhp, but it lacked the growl, twitchiness, and umph when hitting the throttle. If you live in a state where you can do headers that is the best mod you can do (def get a tune as well).

BCS_ZHP
02-13-2014, 07:34 PM
The mystic blue ZHP has AFE CAI, Dinan throttle body, Magnaflow catback, Active Autowerk custom tune (specifically matched to the aforementioned mods), & a 3.38 open diff (vs stock 3.07). My guess is a 10% HP gain, torque increase was less noticeable until the diff swap, that really woke the car up. It was dyno'd at 200 hp and 203 ft-lbs at the rear wheel (235hp stock is at the flywheel, typically lose 15-20% of power when measured at the wheel) after the catback exhaust only. Haven't been able to schedule a retest after the other mods were installed but it will break traction in lower gears.

Smolck
02-14-2014, 05:47 AM
Pretty sure this same thread is running in the General section, I replied there but would like to restate that without catless headers in the mix you will be lucky to see 15hp from your list of mods. I have taken apart the factory exhaust manifolds and you would not believe how restrictive they are. All the exhaust from the small runners necks down to a 1" tube before flowing into the catalytic converter. 1"! That is sooooo small. Your car is choked to death. It was given better cams by BMW, but without more breathing, they do very little.

You want 20hp? A set of 150 ebay headers will give it to you without much more than an intake to let some more air in too.

tkundhi
02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Quarter mile and 0-60 times are more dependent on weather, surface conditions and driver and launch than HP and torque.

We run the drag strip at our Flat Out Classic event last year. 1/4 mile times varied by over a sec for the same driver/car combo across multiple runs. It is harder than most people think. While many BMW drivers are track addicts, we had a good turnout for the drag strip part if our event.

If your are interested FOC 2014 will occur in late April at Heartland Park. Four BMW CCA chapter host the event. Registration will open soon. Check out flatoutclassic.com

It's a driver's school, Autox, 1/4 mile and car show all happening at the same location that weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midlandtech
02-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Quarter mile and 0-60 times are more dependent on weather, surface conditions and driver and launch than HP and torque.

We run the drag strip at our Flat Out Classic event last year. 1/4 mile times varied by over a sec for the same driver/car combo across multiple runs. It is harder than most people think. While many BMW drivers are track addicts, we had a good turnout for the drag strip part if our event.

If your are interested FOC 2014 will occur in late April at Heartland Park. Four BMW CCA chapter host the event. Registration will open soon. Check out flatoutclassic.com

It's a driver's school, Autox, 1/4 mile and car show all happening at the same location that weekend.

I've done the driving school portion of this even and it's a blast

taptalk + Note 3

tkundhi
02-15-2014, 06:58 AM
I hope you can make it this year. HPT worked on the track surface so it should be smoother and less debris this year. We'll see if traction is improve as claimed. Our event will be the first after the work was completed.

diverse
02-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Pretty sure this same thread is running in the General section, I replied there but would like to restate that without catless headers in the mix you will be lucky to see 15hp from your list of mods. I have taken apart the factory exhaust manifolds and you would not believe how restrictive they are. All the exhaust from the small runners necks down to a 1" tube before flowing into the catalytic converter. 1"! That is sooooo small. Your car is choked to death. It was given better cams by BMW, but without more breathing, they do very little.

You want 20hp? A set of 150 ebay headers will give it to you without much more than an intake to let some more air in too.

Are you saying 20hp with headers going to the stock cat?
or will I need a cat and resonator delete + free flow muffler to see the 20hp gain?

diverse
02-15-2014, 07:37 AM
With aFe intake, TSE3 catback and eurocharged tune it felt significantly quicker and more responsive to my butt. I could certainly feel the love drain from my soul as I parted the car out to stock and was left with what I once thought was a peppy car. It was still the same incredible zhp, but it lacked the growl, twitchiness, and umph when hitting the throttle. If you live in a state where you can do headers that is the best mod you can do (def get a tune as well).\

So you got great feel and that (twitchiness) which is what I am looking for.

from intake and cat back exhaust? that is good to know.
that is not an expensive mod.

in reality the driving thrill is more important then numbers. Your post resonates (no pun intended )

mimalmo
02-15-2014, 02:15 PM
If you want to improve the 1/4 mile drag time of your ZHP, here you go.

One of the major drags on these cars is the weight at each corner. While those Style 135's may look great, they weigh a ton. Swap them out for some 17" Kosei K1's and some sticky tires for a big drop in wheel weight. Next, find some lighter rotors than the solid blanks from the factory.

Now that you have dropped corner weight, pick up the driveline from an E46 M3. The LSD will help lay down the power and the more aggressive ratio will help off the line.

When a car takes off, it tends to squat. You'll want to upgrade suspension and bushings to deliver power without major flexing.

With these mods in place, you'll be better able to take advantage of any engine, exhaust or software mods.

Maybe you can't do everything at once; nobody says you have to. Choose the path you want to and/or can afford to follow.

Smolck
02-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Are you saying 20hp with headers going to the stock cat?
or will I need a cat and resonator delete + free flow muffler to see the 20hp gain?

I'd bet just the headers net that, or dang close to it. Then stock cat back exhaust just isn't that restrictive so once the stock manifolds are gone, it's flow city.