PDA

View Full Version : Brake caliper bushings

prowlerflyer
02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Anyone have any experience with Turner's brass caliper bushing set?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4118-caliper-bushing-upgrade-kit.aspx

Seems like a great idea, I don't know why you would want to allow flexing of the brake caliper set-up, other than to reduce NVH.

I am guessing brake feel would be substantially better, with just a little more vibration through the pedal.

Also there is just one wear sensor per axle, correct?

Steve

JupiterBMW
02-26-2014, 09:11 AM
No input on the bushings, although I was just looking at them last night.... And you are correct regarding the wear sensors. LF and RR.

iPhone 5S. Tapatalk Pro. BOOM

QC_ZHP
02-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Definitely an interesting product. I've never seen them before. You thinking about picking up a set?

And yes, one wear sensor up front, one out back

prowlerflyer
02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Yea, was ordering stuff to do the brakes and became intrigued. Wonder if they are a press fit.
Seems like with fresh pads/rotors, braided lines, and these, you would have some pretty nice brakes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

cakM3
02-26-2014, 09:35 AM
sounds like a good solution to firmer brake feel Steve. I am also looking to rebuild my brake calipers for the ///M....I might get this kit as well :)

QC_ZHP
02-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Keep us posted if you order them. Looks like a low cost way to improve the brake feel.

On a side note, I just saw Turner is giving away a motorsport calendar free w/ any purchase. I may do some browsing around:biggrin

prowlerflyer
02-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Ordered them this afternoon, won't have them until Monday. So, I can't do the brakes until next weekend. Now comes the wait.

I also have a steering Guido to do...

LivesNearCostco
02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
I've run the BimmerWorld version for around 2 years. (They might be the same as the Turner version.) The one drawback is you must clean and regrease them periodically, at least once per year, at most every 3 months (or whenever you change brake pads). I think frequency of greasing depends on how much you drive, how often you get the brakes really hot, and how much driving you do in the rain.

No hydraulic pressing is needed to install. For me, removing the stock rubber bushings was the hardest part. You do need some circlip pliers to install.

derbo
02-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Like Mr. Costco said, regrease is the only con of this setup. Since I swap my brakes pads every track day, it's almost a no brainer for me to install on the rear. I need to get these :)

JupiterBMW
02-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Hmm, the periodic greasing is kind of a hassle for me. I drive very little (~5K miles/year) but I don't want to have to deal with this. I'm getting ready to do my brakes, and honestly, I'll do everything here soon and hopefully I'll never have to do brakes again... (I drive very easy, mostly around town/low speed stuff).

Although, interested in your review Steve... If they're that awesome, I might go for them as well...

UdubBadger
02-27-2014, 06:35 AM
I might try these too

Goin' HAM mobile

LivesNearCostco
02-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Jupe, did you ever go to the bridge of a ship and ask, "Where's the brake pedal? Where's the clutch? Maybe the bridges of modern ships look more like Star Trek. It still boggles my mind that in old sailing ships, you steer from the back of the ship, because that's where the rudder is... and maybe it gives the captain more protection in case you're ramming an enemy ship.

I'm not sure if these bushings offer any benefit for street driving, unless you frequently drive canyon and mountain twisties. If you forget to grease them, eventually you get a sticky caliper, which wears out brake pads faster.

prowlerflyer
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
You're probably right in that it the car won't stop in a shorter distance, but brake feel should be much improved. It is possible that initial bite could be improved because of lack of caliper flex though. I agree that there may be added maintenance, but it may be worth the trade off.

At worst the added maintenance hassle out weighs the brake feel and switch back to rubber.

LivesNearCostco
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
They keep the pads more parallel to the rotor, so if that improves stopping then might improve initial bite and shorten stopping distances on the street--not sure.

prowlerflyer
03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Ok, sorry for the delay guys. I got the whole thing done last week and just wanted to get a feel for how it is now.

First off, two Mondays ago I tore both front brakes down to parade rest, cleaned everything up, mounted up my nice new rotors, and got the new brass caliper bushings installed. I then opened up my box of Hawk Performance Ceramic pads and something wasn't right. I sent pictures and numbers back to Bimmerworld and low and behold I got rear 330i pads in a box for fronts, yep my luck. By the time we had this resolved I did get the pads until Friday, so lots of lost time.

The caliper bushing kit is nice and high quality. I have no complaints other than I am concerned for weather exposure. So I will keep a close eye on how they hold up. I coated them in anti-seize and may spray them with an anti-corrosion coating I use on other under body stuff (thanks Charlie).

So, new front pads & rotors, caliper bushings, and system bled, and brakes bedded in. My observations:
- Bushings "I" feel are noticeable for a sharper pedal, monumental, no, but better. I am happy.
- Hawk PC pads, the jury is still out here we'll see how time tells. Definite loss of initial bite, particularly when cold. Deceleration is good once warm and no dust, but initial bite is disappointing.

I have had other ceramic pads before (not on a BMW), and these are not as good. I wanted to get ST Street Performance pads, but couldn't get them through BW, and thought I would give these a shot. Hey, you live and learn. I did want less dust than stock pads, and probably just should have got PBR MM/Ultimate. They are a good all-around pad.

I also got the Turner bleed bottle with the check valve, and it worked fine. I did bleed the brake the traditional way though with two people.

Bottom line:
Turner Brass Brake Caliper bushing kit - RECOMMENDED
HAWK CP front Pads - Meh, would buy something else next time.
Turner Brake Bleed Bottle with the check valve - RECOMMENDED

Steve

JupiterBMW
03-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Geezus, I should've updated this thread as well... About a week and a half ago, I completed my full brake upgrade, but honestly, I cannot attest to the performance of the bushings alone. I will echo Steve in that they are very high quality and look great, but I had a hard time saying they did anything. I replaced everything, as well as upgrading to stainless lines, so my pedal feel was completely different. I need to bleed again, but my pedal is much better... Of course, its hard to pinpoint the improvement to one item... I did pads, rotors, front calipers, and bushing upgrade...

I can say this... I had the Hawk pads on my last ZHP and wasn't really thrilled either. This time I went with the Stoptech Street Performance pads and I am very happy with them. Initial bite is excellent and dust is pretty low so far. I'm really impressed with them.

So, I think if you're doing a full rebuild, the bushings are a low cost item that should prove to be a nice upgrade, and like Steve said, easy enough to swap back into the rubber if caliper sticking ensues...

prowlerflyer
03-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Man Joop, when you do brakes, YOU DO BRAKES!

I already ss brake lines on, so yea the bushings are a subtle improvement, but an improvement none the less. Not bad for $50.

Unfortunately I am now stuck with a set of these Hawk PC pads for the rear.

M0nk3y
03-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Like others have echo'ed in the past, you gotta make sure you have grease on these or else any dust/dirt will seize a caliper.

As far as pads you chose, basically that is what you're going to get with that type of pad. Go HP+, enjoy the squeal, dust, and a nice bite :)