PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Chapter hosts Driving School at Laguna Seca -- May 31, 2014

LivesNearCostco
03-04-2014, 02:31 PM
The BMW CCA Golden Gate Chapter is returning to Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca in 2014! There is a one-day driving school on Saturday, May 31st. Whether you've enjoyed Laguna before or have been waiting for the perfect time to try this famous track, late May should promise exquisite driving weather. Plus it's the week AFTER Memorial Day, so you don't have to give up the big family BBQ or long weekend sports/spa/gambling/shopping trip to attend this school.

In addition the GGC will have its annual 2-day driving school at Thunderhill on November 15-16, and this will include both the current Thunderhill East and the new Thunderhill West, which adds 2 more miles of track. I think they plan to link both sides into one huge track, which should be fun and challenging.

The 2-day school at Thunderhill normally costs between $425 and $475 for two days. The cost of Laguna Seca school has not been finalized yet (maybe $225 to $270 for one day?) but should be posted soon on the Golden Gate Chapter web site, here: http://ggcbmwcca.org/event/driving-school-laguna-seca/

CCA driving schools include an in-car instructor for all sessions, until you either get signed off to drive solo or corner so hard that your instructor gets motion sickness and needs to escape your car. If they do an A+ group, then advanced A+ drivers only have the instructor in-car for the first session of the day and then the instructors observe them driving from the tower or from their own cars on the track. But it's not clear yet if the A+ program will be offered for these events.

Both events require a BMW CCA membership, which is $48/year if you are not a member. I plan to drive in both events and will post updates as I get more news.

LivesNearCostco
03-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Registration is open and price has been established as $375 for the day, which includes in-car instruction for all sessions.

There is a special $150 option for advanced drivers that adds coaching with data acquisition and extra track time! This sound awesome, though I probably won't be part of it this year since I am still a "B" level driver.

Sound limit is 90dB, which is now generally the standard for private track days at Laguna except the Mazda Friends and Family weekends, which run at 92dB (and the first one is already sold out for cars).

I checked out other private track days and this is an excellent deal for anyone who wants to drive Laguna with near-professional instruction, including beginners. For example, Hooked-on-Driving charges $350 for a weekday and only beginners get instruction, which appears to be a mix of in-car instruction and lead-follow.

This event is limited to 100 drivers and very likely will sell out, so register soon if interested! You can register now and cancel up through May 17th with a $50 cancellation fee. The Motorsportsreg.com link to register is here (www.motorsportreg.com/events/spring-2014-school-laguna-seca-mazda-raceway-bmw-cca-golden-gate-hpde-378931).

derbo
03-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Are you going John? I never been to a CCA event before. I may want to attend the Thunderhill Event. I have no track pad left (less 1mm) and exploring my options. I'm also ordering longer 7" swift springs for the rear.

LivesNearCostco
03-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Derek, I do plan to go. Thunderhill is a much better bargain for trying CCA but a) it's in November, and B) it's 3 hours away for me vs. 1 hour for Laguna Seca (both cases if no traffic). Of course it's closer for you. I know you've been to Thunderhill a few times for non-CCA; have you also been to LS?

Here's the deal on CCA track days: Best deal if you want in-car instruction all day and you definitely get more track time than NASA. Not sure if you get more track time than HoD or TrackMasters. If you don't need or don't want an instructor, then NASA/SpeedVentures/Bob's Donuts will likely be a better deal. CCA tends to be more safety conscious which is good, but also stricter on rules (no convertibles without full rollbars, etc.) than others.

I like Porterfield R-4S pads but am the only one I know running them on a BMW. Everyone else on the track forums seems to run Hawk, Stoptech, Carbotech, or Performance Friction. (Some occasional trackers use Pagid, EBC, or Cool Carbon.)

derbo
03-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Derek, I do plan to go. Thunderhill is a much better bargain for trying CCA but a) it's in November, and B) it's 3 hours away for me vs. 1 hour for Laguna Seca (both cases if no traffic). Of course it's closer for you. I know you've been to Thunderhill a few times for non-CCA; have you also been to LS?

Here's the deal on CCA track days: Best deal if you want in-car instruction all day and you definitely get more track time than NASA. Not sure if you get more track time than HoD or TrackMasters. If you don't need or don't want an instructor, then NASA/SpeedVentures/Bob's Donuts will likely be a better deal. CCA tends to be more safety conscious which is good, but also stricter on rules (no convertibles without full rollbars, etc.) than others.

I like Porterfield R-4S pads but am the only one I know running them on a BMW. Everyone else on the track forums seems to run Hawk, Stoptech, Carbotech, or Performance Friction. (Some occasional trackers use Pagid, EBC, or Cool Carbon.)

John,

Driving out to the track makes no difference to me since Buttonwillow is 4-5hr aways anyways. I have been on Laguna and I love this track to death. The last time I went was in 2012. I added an M3 rear end, replaced my GruppeM intake (stock for now), and changed to UUC TSE3 exhaust from the HKS exhaust. I am a bit worried that the car may not pass the 90dB sound test?

My best time was 1:50:xx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwc-benMqo

You are right that the other track clubs will have more time on the track and as well as less expensive. I'm just curious on the CCA events as I never been there and they seem to be pretty good with rules and following them.

Thanks for the options! I am actually considering ditching the BMW 135i calipers and going Stoptech this year. PFC06 is on the top my list of pads I want to switch to. I have been very happy with my Carbotech XP10s but I'm beginning to feel like the 135i Calipers are not up to the task of being a great track caliper. Since my last track pad used up the last of the carbotechs, it's time to make a decision what to do. :)

tkundhi
03-12-2014, 05:05 PM
CCA schools are much more than open track time. Typically you get first class instruction. Much like your get at professional schools. Many chapters use the Ross Bentley material. I did several school before doing my first CCA school because CCA schools sold out before I could register. After doing one I understood why. I highly recommend you try one.

t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
03-12-2014, 08:58 PM
CCA schools are much more than open track time. Typically you get first class instruction. Much like your get at professional schools. Many chapters use the Ross Bentley material. I did several school before doing my first CCA school because CCA schools sold out before I could register. After doing one I understood why. I highly recommend you try one.

t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Input. I will consider the T-Hill one as I do not believe I will be ready financially by then.

LivesNearCostco
03-12-2014, 09:04 PM
I think ZHP with UUC TSE full exhaust and any normal CAI will probably pass sound at Laguna as long as it still has normal manifolds with cats and none of the resonator/muffler parts were deleted from the TSE. However I cannot be sure. You could just take it easy from turn 5 to turn 6 -- as I saw some more racing-ish cars doing during O-fest -- and probably be okay then, but if you fail sound at full throttle, you'd have to do this on every lap

I agree the CCA instruction is generally very good. Most other groups offer instruction only for beginners, and in some clubs even that is just a little classroom and lead-follow with nobody in the car. However there are some people who avoid CCA track days because a) They want instruction but can't afford the higher price, or b) They don't want any instructor in the car!