PDA

View Full Version : Repaint Roof Trim Question

PdZHP
03-04-2014, 05:16 PM
I would like to repaint the roof trim (where the roof racks attach) since is looking pretty bad. I removed the trim piece but noticed that they both have a rubber edge on the sides. Is this ok to paint? Or does one try to remove the rubber and replace it after painting?

After reviewing several threads i was not able to get clarification.

Thanks!

danewilson77
03-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Remove the rubber.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PdZHP
03-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the input. Anyone else do this before?

Dave1027
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM
My roof trims also have issue. The clear coat came off from all of them so they look dull compared to the roof. I'd like to renew the clear coat. How do you remove the trim pieces?

itdnwiwbp
05-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Little late to the party but the trim pieces just pop right off. Start at one side and carefully pry them up. As for removing the rubber, I just taped it off but removing it is probably way easier. One other tip: if you lay the trim pieces across a couple of saw horses or similar they will "flatten" a little and stick up at the front edge when reinstalled. I'd recommend, if you do lay them across something, that you try to balance them in the middle for a little while to bend them back a bit. Did mine over a year ago and they never quite settled back to their original shape.

ClimRox
04-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Thread resurrection...Is the car still driveable with these trim pieces off (e.g. if it were raining would water have an issue draining properly)? I'd like to have mine painted, but would need to drive it while they are off.

itdnwiwbp
05-07-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't think you'll have any issues with water drainage with the pieces removed. They're not water tight so everything should drain normally.

ClimRox
06-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Done today. I bought new ones, so I didn't have to drive without.