PDA

View Full Version : Interesting post header mod removes codes (not all of them).....

Smolck
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
This is odd. I want to post it because I never thought something so stupid would end up making a noticeable difference.

A few days ago I was rooting around my buddies salvage yard and came across the plastic elbow that K&N uses as part of their CAI kit. Not the heat shield, the tube that connects the MAF to the lower throttle body boot. I always hated the rubber boots as they crack, leak, and generally piss me off so he let me have it.

Side bar: ever since the headers went on my car I have had rich codes 0172 and 0175. I also get some black smoke out the tail pipes from time to time because it is running rich. I should note, I have a cone filter in my stock airbox and the side cut open to let fresh fender air in so I have what amounts to a CAI already.

Back to our story: So I install the K&N tube after a few coats of plasti-dip to cover up the ridiculous K&N logo and strap it down. I could hear an audible difference at high RPM, it was a bit louder. It also felt better and my exhaust didn't stink quite so much like gas. And no smoke when thrashing the car through the gears anymore.

After a week or so of driving it I am up by 1 MPG on my dash avg mpg gauge. I have no rich codes (cleared them when I installed the tube) and the car seems to have a bit more zest. Hard to believe, but there it is. The car is getting enough extra air to flatten out a rich condition and increase gas mileage. NEAT!

Avetiso
03-09-2014, 01:59 PM
What differs between this tube and the OEM boots?

Smolck
03-09-2014, 02:09 PM
What differs between this tube and the OEM boots?

Slightly larger, smooth inside, no pleats like the oem unit. Maybe a touch longer.

ELCID86
03-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Wow. Never seen anyone with that boot. Still available? Glad it sorted out your codes.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Smolck
03-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Spoke too soon. Today I got a p0175. Rats.

QC_ZHP
03-10-2014, 11:50 AM
eurocharge this beast already

Smolck
03-10-2014, 12:36 PM
eurocharge this beast already

Its on the short list. Believe me, it is on the very short list. Couple PM things to handle first.

stephenkirsh
03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Do they still sell this?

328ioc
03-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Damn. Sucks it did clear the code.

But if there is anyway to buy just these it sure would prevent an intake boot tear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smolck
03-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Damn. Sucks it did clear the code.

But if there is anyway to buy just these it sure would prevent an intake boot tear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No idea but kinda doubt they are for sale separately. Funny thing, the code is gone again. No new codes for running rich.